AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Ok thanks guys. I tweaked the list a bit and will try it via tabletop Simulator this week (hope fully). 

I wonder if it is strong 

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals

Leaders
Lord-Celestant on Stardrake (500)
- Celestine Hammer
Lord-Castellant (120)
Knight-Incantor (120)
Anointed of Asuryan on Frostheart Phoenix (320)
- Allies

Battleline
5 x Judicators (140)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Judicators (140)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield

Units
2 x Concussors (220)
20 x Phoenix Guard (320)
- Allies

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Dais Arcanum (30)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 640 / 400
Wounds: 99

Staunch defender +1 safe,  artifact for lord castellant Hits of 6s rerolled, phoenix - 1 wound sounds nice. 

Edit: since i want the enemy 6s Hit Reroll artifact for the lord castellant i still cant use a stormhost right? Cause if i take a stormhost ill have to take that artifact.

Edited by Stromberg

1 hour ago, Stromberg said:

Edit: since i want the enemy 6s Hit Reroll artifact for the lord castellant i still cant use a stormhost right? Cause if i take a stormhost ill have to take that artifact.

Yes: either you don't take a Stormhost (so you are free to choose your artifact) or you need to include a battalion (so you get another artifact on top of the Stormhost one)

Played A Game against Sylvaneth today.

Since I knew my enemy I could guess he would take a lot of monsters and so he did, he basically run Alarielle, Drycha, Treelord Ancient and Spirit of Durthu and could have set up another Treelord aswell. Therefore I decided to play 4 Ballista with Ordinator and Azyros,  heraldor against his trees and incantor for an auto bann. I decided to run Gotrek and fill the rest with liberators to have a screen for Ballista. While he surrendered due to my dubble turn (which allowed Gotrek an the Ballistas to do massive Damage) I wonder about several things.

1. Could Astral Templars be a good choice for Stormkeep since you move before the turn? (Therefore I would need to know if shield of civilization applies if I hadn't had a movement phase where I could not move) Also there are quite a lot of Lists that have some important monsters like Lrl, tzeentch and not to mention the all loved Lizards... 

2. What about Ballistas in general? I feel like with the 6" pre-game movement they could be viable  to give the opponent's a reason to charge into our Liberator squads?

3. As mentioned, Stormkeep armies are going to be slow, how about adding Gotrek? He never really fit into my normal playstyle since battle was most of the times already  over when he arrived but now he could really give us the punch that only stormcast lists are likely gonna miss in a non anvilstrike army...

I'm interested in your opinion, could that actually be something strong? Or just take the new battalion and try survive as long as possible?

Edited by SchleuderMann2

39 minutes ago, SchleuderMann2 said:

Played A Game against Sylvaneth today.

Since I knew my enemy I could guess he would take a lot of monsters and so he did, he basically run Alarielle, Drycha, Treelord Ancient and Spirit of Durthu and could have set up another Treelord aswell. Therefore I decided to play 4 Ballista with Ordinator and Azyros,  heraldor against his trees and incantor for an auto bann. I decided to run Gotrek and fill the rest with liberators to have a screen for Ballista. While he surrendered due to my dubble turn (which allowed Gotrek an the Ballistas to do massive Damage) I wonder about several things.

1. Could Astral Templars be a good choice for Stormkeep since you move before the turn? (Therefore I would need to know if shield of civilization applies if I hadn't had a movement phase where I could not move) Also there are quite a lot of Lists that have some important monsters like Lrl, tzeentch and not to mention the all loved Lizards... 

2. What about Ballistas in general? I feel like with the 6" pre-game movement they could be viable  to give the opponent's a reason to charge into our Liberator squads?

3. As mentioned, Stormkeep armies are going to be slow, how about adding Gotrek? He never really fit into my normal playstyle since battle was most of the times already  over when he arrived but now he could really give us the punch that only stormcast lists are likely gonna miss in a non anvilstrike army...

I'm interested in your opinion, could that actually be something strong? Or just take the new battalion and try survive as long as possible?

Yes. Stand fast only cares about moving in the movement phase. Anything that moves em in hero phase or any other phase is fine. Relictor stonks are going up

Dracoths were already good in Astral Templars, but now you can give them Staunch Defender too

Astral Templars

Frostheart Phoenix - General: Staunch Defender, Artefact: Mirror Shield
Lord-Castellant
Lord-Ordinator
Knight-Incantor - Spell: Celestial Blades
1x6 Desolator
3x5 Liberator
4x Ballista

1980/2000

Hmm maybe ballistas arent the best choice here, you don't get to deep strike or use the 5" move command trait if you take Staunch Defender

Edited by PJetski
  • Like 2

Heres a stupid list

Stormkeep - Astral Templars

Steam Tank with Commander - Staunch Defender, Mirror Shield
Steam Tank with Commander
Lord-Ordinator
Knight-Azyros

Liberators
Liberators
Liberators

3x Gyrocopter
Grundstok Gunhauler
Grundstok Gunhauler
Grundstok Gunhauler

Celestar Ballista
Celestar Ballista
Celestar Ballista
Celestar Ballista

1980/2000, 15 units (3 COS), 390/400 ally points

• LOVE IT! 1

Here is also a small idea for a Griffon within Stormcast. I always liked the model, so why not. It is far away from competitive but as a cool all-rounder list for some friendly matches it should be fine.

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
 - Stormhost: Celestial Vindicators
LEADERS
Freeguild General on Griffon (320)
- Hammer
Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (200)
- General
- Command Trait: Single-minded Fury 
- Artefact: Stormrage Blade 
- Spell: Chain Lightning
- Mount Trait: Wind Runner
Lord-Castellant (120)
Lord-Exorcist (90)
- Spell: Celestial Blades
UNITS
3 x Aetherwings (40)
10 x Sequitors (240)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
- 5 x Stormsmite Greatmaces
10 x Sequitors (240)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
- 5 x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Judicators (140)
- 1*Skybolt Bows
10 x Protectors (340)
- 2 x Starsoul Maces
5 x Evocators (210)
- Lore of Invigoration: Celestial Blades
ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS
Extra Command Point (50)

Edited by rosa

1 hour ago, PJetski said:

Heres a stupid list

Lord-Ordinator
Knight-Azyros

Liberators
Liberators
Liberators

3x Gyrocopter
Grundstok Gunhauler
Grundstok Gunhauler
Grundstok Gunhauler

Celestar Ballista
Celestar

1 hour ago, PJetski said:

Heres a stupid list

Lord-Ordinator
Knight-Azyros

Liberators
Liberators
Liberators

3x Gyrocopter
Grundstok Gunhauler
Grundstok Gunhauler
Grundstok Gunhauler

Celestar Ballista
Celestar Ballista
Celestar Ballista
Celestar Ballista

Ballista
Celestar Ballista
Celestar Ballista

Expensive too lol, them units aint cheap

3 hours ago, PJetski said:

Dracoths were already good in Astral Templars, but now you can give them Staunch Defender too

Astral Templars

Frostheart Phoenix - General: Staunch Defender, Artefact: Mirror Shield
Lord-Castellant
Lord-Ordinator
Knight-Incantor - Spell: Celestial Blades
1x6 Desolator
3x5 Liberator
4x Ballista

1980/2000

Hmm maybe ballistas arent the best choice here, you don't get to deep strike or use the 5" move command trait if you take Staunch Defender

Yes without pregame movement Ballistas will be way too slow. Anyway I expect this mechanic being faq'ed and then it will be quite a possibility I think

1 hour ago, jhamslam said:

On a side note, im not enjoying how good shooting has become. I understand its part of the game, but i started playing this because i wanted to get away from 40k. And despite enjoying the double turn mechanic, getting double turned by a shooting army is just game over.

I totally agree, however meta is changing quick in my opinion. I remember last year when it was all about surviving heavy melee Lists from fyreslayer, slaneesh, fec, khorne and Obr. Probably (hopefully) in a year or so there will be a totally different situation

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, SchleuderMann2 said:

I totally agree, however meta is changing quick in my opinion. I remember last year when it was all about surviving heavy melee Lists from fyreslayer, slaneesh, fec, khorne and Obr. Probably (hopefully) in a year or so there will be a totally different situation

But it does feel a bit like its always on the extreme side of things. But maybe that’s unpreventable who knows. 
from hordes, magic, activation wars, shooting. It’s all very all or nothing. Balanced list have not yet been the top dog ;) 

On 11/7/2020 at 10:51 AM, PJetski said:

Bringing a Cities unit as your general allows you to take Staunch Defender even if you pick a stormhost (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong about this) so I hope everyone has a frostheart Phoenix ready to go.

https://www.goonhammer.com/broken-realms-morathi-review/#Stormcast_Eternals

says this is possible but likely to get errata'd or otherwise made less attractive

It's not a "charitable interpretation" its just using the rules as they are written. Other armies that can take units outside their regular allegiance (Tempest Eye in COS, Barak-Thryng in KO, are there any others?) require specific keywords and/or specify that those added units cannot be the general or count as battleline.

As you can see there is no consistency in these rules - DUARDIN Barak-Thryng units cannot be the general, while KHARADRON Tempest Eye units can be the general.

Stormcast do not currently have any of these restrictions. Stormkeeps do not grant any keywords but they "count as" (an ill-defined term) stormcast units when using command abilities which is already different from the other examples.

They might errata it in the future but that would be a strange thing to do with 3rd edition only a few months away that will almost certainly invalidate all the rules in Broken Realms.

1 in 4.png

Edited by PJetski

3 hours ago, SchleuderMann2 said:

I don't know, activation wars was more about who has more tools to fight first in melee phase

The answer to melee arms race was to not participate in the melee arms race

Anvilstrike was doing well until teleporting shooting armies became more commonplace

2 hours ago, Nizrah said:

"Stormcast got some kickass battalions out of this and I think fans of Stormcast Eternals will be very happy with this book."

What are these guys taking? Did they even played a single game as SCE? LOL 

The one battalion that has me interested is the Veritant one. It says Redeemers. Meaning we can take sequitors.

Now idk how the rule are worded here? @PJetski , correct me if im wrong. But wouldnt this allow us to redeploy based on who we know is going first?

If we go first, deploy in their face and hit something hard with 20 sequitors

Alternatively, redeploy 20 judicators and hit something with 40 shots each , twice

Edited by jhamslam

2 hours ago, jhamslam said:

The one battalion that has me interested is the Veritant one. It says Redeemers. Meaning we can take sequitors.

Now idk how the rule are worded here? @PJetski , correct me if im wrong. But wouldnt this allow us to redeploy based on who we know is going first?

Alternatively, redeploy 20 judicators and hit something with 40 shots each , twice

I'll note that raptors are justicars too, so you can use those instead of judicators, they're more effective shooting. 

The dogs, if I'm not wrong, all gain +2 attacks as long as the Lord Veritant is within 3' as well? So soften your charge targets then potentially rip them up with the dogs. 

Good morning guys, 

I got a question regarding the Celestant on stardrake. If i Pick the stardrake in combat Phase, first i Do is pile in. After pile in i can bite with cavernous jaws. Lets say i kill 3 models. 

Question : Do i attack with my other Weapons first and then remove all models together or Do i remove the models immediately after the c jaws? 

Is it possible to get out of range of an enemy unit because of the jaws because i remove some models?

I hope you understand what i mean. Thanks in advance. 

49 minutes ago, Stromberg said:

Good morning guys, 

I got a question regarding the Celestant on stardrake. If i Pick the stardrake in combat Phase, first i Do is pile in. After pile in i can bite with cavernous jaws. Lets say i kill 3 models. 

Question : Do i attack with my other Weapons first and then remove all models together or Do i remove the models immediately after the c jaws? 

Is it possible to get out of range of an enemy unit because of the jaws because i remove some models?

I hope you understand what i mean. Thanks in advance. 

The Cavernous Jaws effect is resolved after pile-in and before the attacks, so I'd say you have to remove the models before the attack sequence. This also means that you should be careful with your targeting and keep at least one model in range for your attacks

6 hours ago, jhamslam said:

Yes but how do you plan to guarantee that charge? You're still 9" from the enemy and without scions (cause you have to be in the Stormkeep for the battalion) you can't use Gavriel, which leaves you with... cogs?

EDIT: my bad, you redeploy BEFORE the battle begins, so you move at your leisure and charge 4" :D

Edited by Marcvs