AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

2 minutes ago, PJetski said:

I'm not so sure that Stormkeeps and Stormhosts are mutually exclusive. It could be a faction split like Coalesced/Starborne for Seraphon.

Yes, I've thought the same, but it would be weird to have only one sub-sub-allegiance, since you would take that in every single list... time will tell

2 minutes ago, PJetski said:

This means you can take Staunch Defender as Anvils ;)

Now this is interesting!

Based on the article today I think Stormcast are going to be broken into Stormkeep which focus on defense and shooting, and Stormriders (or some other name) that focus on deep strike and attacking.

It would allow them to finally solve the problem of deep strike + shooting combination without having to gimp both of those strengths. This would be a perfect parallel to their design on Seraphon in their recent battletome, letting one faction focus on mobility and summoning while the other gains raw power and defense.

It also makes sense from a narrative perspective - Stormcast aren't just guerilla warfare shock troopers any more.

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

14 minutes ago, jhamslam said:

Cos avoiding the allies rules and becoming 1 in 4 Gives us lots of exciting options.

- Putting in 10 handgunners alongside liberators for extra shooting. Irondrakes as a substitute. 

- Freeguild guard as cheap chaff for anything we wanna do.

Since they do not count as allies, would they fulfil battleline requirements? That would be great!

2 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

Since they do not count as allies, would they fulfil battleline requirements? That would be great!

Yes, for the most part. There are some COS units that only gain battleline in a Cities of Sigmar army specifically, but there are many units that are general battleline in any army.

I was hoping to bring a block of 30 Phoenix Guard alongside a Frost Phoenix general but they only gain battleline in a COS army.

4 minutes ago, PJetski said:

Yes, for the most part. There are some COS units that only gain battleline in a Cities of Sigmar army specifically, but there are many units that are general battleline in any army.

I was hoping to bring a block of 30 Phoenix Guard alongside a Frost Phoenix general but they only gain battleline in a COS army.

I was looking at the same combo.

Any other combinations you thinkin of? Handgunners perhaps?

Nothing else really stands out as worthwhile yet.

The most exciting thing is having access to Staunch Defender and Mirrorshield while getting a Stormhost. Liberators with Staunch Defender are actually worth using as a battleline 3+rr1 shield wall for only 90p per 5 models, especially if you can get them in cover.

Dracoths (especially Fulminators) with Staunch Defender, worn by a very durable and fast big monster with a mirror shield, and Warding Lantern are an absolute nightmare for a shooting meta. It's also very strong against alpha strikes that don't spam mortal wounds.

If the Stormkeep rules do indeed stack on top of our current rules then this is a very exciting update for our poor outdated army.

20 hours ago, SirSalabean said:

I like the birds and Griffin things. Is the vanguard start collecting any good? 

Best way to avoid hammers is Vanguard and Sacrosanct chambers. Vanguard chamber is good yes, but you'll end up needing heroes from Sacrosanct (wizard) chamber and probably Warrior too. At this point, buy and play what you think is coolest. Trying to keep up with or chase any kind of meta has killed my enjoyment for getting into AOS, so i'm really trying to avoid that mindset and simply enjoy hobbying again.

And with that being said, I'm super excited that Stormcast get a mortal auxiliaries rule; it's going to make them feel much closer to the "guardians of the free peoples" that they're positioned as in lore, on top of opening SO MANY doors for conversions and army themes.

1 hour ago, PJetski said:

I'm not so sure that Stormkeeps and Stormhosts are mutually exclusive. It could be a faction split like Coalesced/Starborne for Seraphon.

You can't use any Stormhost command abilities on a COS unit because it doesn't gain the appropriate <Stormhost> keyword, but you can make the COS unit your general and avoid having to take the required artefacts/command traits from a Stormhost.

This means you can take Staunch Defender as Anvils ;)

How does that work then?

26 minutes ago, PrimeElectrid said:

How does that work then?

COS units added to your army are not allies, therefore a COS Leader unit added to your army in this way can be your general just like any other Leader.

When you select a Stormhost only STORMCAST ETERNALS units get the associated <STORMHOST> keyword so the  COS unit does not gain this keyword.

A <STORMHOST> general has to take the stormhost command ability, but if you don't have the <STORMHOST> keyword then you don't have to take that ability. Therefore, if a COS unit is your general through Stormkeep then it can take whatever command trait you want. Stormhost artefacts work the same way.

Finally, none of the Stormcast command abilities have a STORMCAST ETERNAL keyword restriction, so they can be given to any model that is your general.

Therefore if Stormkeeps work with Stormhosts (and that seems to be the case right now, but it's not confirmed yet) then you can make a COS unit your general and have them take Staunch Defender (and an artefact, like mirrorshield) even if you take a Stormhost.

VATBbFf.png

Edited by PJetski
  • Like 4

40 minutes ago, PJetski said:

COS units added to your army are not allies, therefore a COS Leader unit added to your army in this way can be your general just like any other Leader.

When you select a Stormhost only STORMCAST ETERNALS units get the associated <STORMHOST> keyword so the  COS unit does not gain this keyword.

A <STORMHOST> general has to take the stormhost command ability, but if you don't have the <STORMHOST> keyword then you don't have to take that ability. Therefore, if a COS unit is your general through Stormkeep then it can take whatever command trait you want. Stormhost artefacts work the same way.

Finally, none of the Stormcast command abilities have a STORMCAST ETERNAL keyword restriction, so they can be given to any model that is your general.

Therefore if Stormkeeps work with Stormhosts (and that seems to be the case right now, but it's not confirmed yet) then you can make a COS unit your general and have them take Staunch Defender (and an artefact, like mirrorshield) even if you take a Stormhost.

VATBbFf.png

Aha. So as it’s a Stormcast army you can select a command trait from SCE allegiance, and as the general is not an ally they are eligible, even if they don’t have the Stormcast keyword.

Interesting, though thematically disappointing. 

2 hours ago, CommissarRotke said:

Best way to avoid hammers is Vanguard and Sacrosanct chambers. Vanguard chamber is good yes, but you'll end up needing heroes from Sacrosanct (wizard) chamber and probably Warrior too. At this point, buy and play what you think is coolest. Trying to keep up with or chase any kind of meta has killed my enjoyment for getting into AOS, so i'm really trying to avoid that mindset and simply enjoy hobbying again.

And with that being said, I'm super excited that Stormcast get a mortal auxiliaries rule; it's going to make them feel much closer to the "guardians of the free peoples" that they're positioned as in lore, on top of opening SO MANY doors for conversions and army themes.

Thank you that’s helpful I might pick up that new box maybe. Can different chambers mix? Might just get some bits to paint and go from there 

5 hours ago, CommissarRotke said:

@Mattrulesok which podcast/episode did Vince talk about fixing Stormcast? i'd love to hear it!

Also, any thoughts on the price for Ven Brecht's? I have a Vanguard Start Collecting I could trade for it depending on the MSRB...

Video here

I'm excited for being able to add Cos units in, it won't be meta but for casual games extra options are always fun. 

• Like 1

Either way I'm hyped that my idea will come true. 

I have soon 2k vanguard fully painted and already 2500 pts of meele units painted as mt stonecast.

Been wanting to have som CoS whatever unit and transforming with a blue glow toward stone. Like different stages of normal cloth into stone and a converted general looking as a medusa 😍😍

Here is some of my recent painted stonecast and you can find more pictures on my Instagram @hedbergs_painting.

PSX_20201013_125127.jpg

PSX_20201005_232129.jpg

PSX_20201011_214536.jpg

PSX_20201013_102850.jpg

PSX_20201013_102357.jpg

• LOVE IT! 2

1 hour ago, FattBooM666 said:

Either way I'm hyped that my idea will come true. 

I have soon 2k vanguard fully painted and already 2500 pts of meele units painted as mt stonecast.

Been wanting to have som CoS whatever unit and transforming with a blue glow toward stone. Like different stages of normal cloth into stone and a converted general looking as a medusa 😍😍

Here is some of my recent painted stonecast and you can find more pictures on my Instagram @hedbergs_painting.

PSX_20201013_125127.jpg

PSX_20201005_232129.jpg

PSX_20201011_214536.jpg

PSX_20201013_102850.jpg

PSX_20201013_102357.jpg

brother this is insane work, very very cool!!!!!

I love your bases and the glow, it makes the color scheme quite impactful and vibrant.

How have you done your bases i'm curious? especially the little scraps of wood are they just small pieces that you glued on your bases or do you have any secret magic trick?

• LOVE IT! 1

28 minutes ago, jeanfluflu said:

brother this is insane work, very very cool!!!!!

I love your bases and the glow, it makes the color scheme quite impactful and vibrant.

How have you done your bases i'm curious? especially the little scraps of wood are they just small pieces that you glued on your bases or do you have any secret magic trick?

Thanks! 😚

The general idea is some textured base paste/paint either with colour or just whatever you have at home.

Rhinox hide base, drybrush mournfang, drybrush xv-88, agrax wash done.

Its such a nice brand the "base craft autumn scatter" glue with pva.

But I would recommend add like a 50/50 water/pva after its dry over the scatter to keep it in place. Same with the leaves (greenstuff leaf punch)

Then tuffs geen/yellow/red/orange (autumn) 

Rim mournfang brown.

Matt  varnish.

Then add what you want, roots, skulls, bushes, uv-resin. 

@FattBooM666 Stonecast feels really tired after seeing about 10 different versions, but wow did you really knock it out the park with the moss and lighting!!

@SirSalabean you can and should mix Chambers. there are only a couple inter-Chamber specific rules.

@PJetski the rules preview seems pretty clear about COS units being "treated as if they were Stormcast Eternals units", why would that not mean the auxilia also count towards the Stormhost, if <Stormcast Eternals> keyword is what gives our units the Stormhost keyword as well?

edit: this picture, combined with the battletome rules you provided, seem pretty clear auxilia should be able to use Stormhost rules--unless Stormkeeps throw something different into the mix

AoSBR WarscrollUpdates Nov3 Boxout2y

image.png.9b085f0749e95ab48b385eec023a5b96.png

Edited by CommissarRotke
  • LOVE IT! 1

2 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

@PJetski the rules preview seems pretty clear about COS units being "treated as if they were Stormcast Eternals units", why would that not mean the auxilia also count towards the Stormhost, if <Stormcast Eternals> keyword is what gives our units the Stormhost keyword as well?

You are treated as a STORMCAST ETENRAL when selecting that unit to benefit from command abilities, not command traits or artefacts.

DZ4Xp9b0CMwYVQAb.jpg

• Thanks 1