AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

51 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

Funny that you mention it. At a recent tournament here in France there was exactly that list, the Gav MegaBomb:

Hide contents

Barraka84

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals

- Stormhost: Hammers of Sigmar
LEADERS
Gavriel Sureheart (120)
Knight-Vexillor (110)

- Pennant of the Stormbringer
- Artefact : God-forged Blade

Lord-Relictor (100)
- General
- Command Trait : We Cannot Fail
- Prayer : Translocation

UNITS
15 x Evocators (630)
- 15 x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration : Speed of Lightning

15 x Evocators (630)
- 10 x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration : Speed of Lightning

5 x Judicators (140)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1 x Shockbolt Bows

5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1 x Grandhammers

5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1 x Grandhammers

ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS
Extra Command Point (50)

He went 3-2 (as did I with a Starcast list). and finished around 8th-10th (out of 36 players). However, the games he lost were against seraphon and tzeentch (due to their ability to have screens AND free teleportation) so it's not exactly an anti-meta list

Oh interesting! Yes the armies that can teleport and bounce around the board are a huge problem for us. :(

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, boombyeyeah said:

There are Judicators, Castigators and Gryph hounds in the picture. I hope for some warscroll changes! 

I don't see why they would change the warscrolls.

I'm happy to see some castigators and gryph-hounds in it though, these units are severely under appreciated and maybe they'll shine with some extra punch or ability...let's wait.

edit: i'm noticing the main character for this batallion could be a lord veritant, i'm also glad to see that this character can get a bit of attention too, he already give a buff to gryph-hounds but with ridiculous range (6") maybe some extra inches on this can allow our dogs to be decent.

Edited by jeanfluflu

They might surprise somehow, but updates to anvils and shooting lists was not really what SC needed. Also outflanking sounds like a poor battalion for a shooting force which already has deep striking as the only allegiance ability... I really don't care for that set at all.

How about a battalion that makes sense with sort of sensible choice of units improving paladins or general stormcast melee capabilities? Nah that would make too much sense. Deepkin getting new warscrolls for their lesser used beasties, mount traits and new battalions sounds way better.

image.png.f4993530dd47287590a236fd66395b76.png

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

They might surprise somehow, but updates to anvils and shooting lists was not really what SC needed. Also outflanking sounds like a poor battalion for a shooting force which already has deep striking as the only allegiance ability... I really don't care for that set at all.

How about a battalion that makes sense with sort of sensible choice of units improving paladins or general stormcast melee capabilities? Nah that would make too much sense. Deepkin getting new warscrolls for their lesser used beasties, mount traits and new battalions sounds way better.

I share the sentinement, however there's also 4 more battallions announced, so we might still get something else than "shooting, but different"

Battalions are nice but unlikely to fix the army, hopefully there's some that are good enough we have more options to reduce our drops. 

The 3 sets of allegiance abilities however could be huge, hopefully this means we are getting a setup like seraphon where we pick a set of allegiance abilities then a storm host and the abilities that come with. Of this is the case it could give a big boost to the army, big. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mattrulesok said:

Battalions are nice but unlikely to fix the army, hopefully there's some that are good enough we have more options to reduce our drops. 

The 3 sets of allegiance abilities however could be huge, hopefully this means we are getting a setup like seraphon where we pick a set of allegiance abilities then a storm host and the abilities that come with. Of this is the case it could give a big boost to the army, big. 

This. Allegiance abilities are huge. As of now we only have 2 - Scions of the Storm and a not so significant -1 to hit (shock and awe) for a turn.

Army wide rules really establish how an army should play. And getting three new ones could be big.

Im hoping for obsec, as it stands we can neither contest objectives with numbers nor raw damage unless its a block of 10 evos.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jhamslam said:

This. Allegiance abilities are huge. As of now we only have 2 - Scions of the Storm and a not so significant -1 to hit (shock and awe) for a turn.

Army wide rules really establish how an army should play. And getting three new ones could be big.

Im hoping for obsec, as it stands we can neither contest objectives with numbers nor raw damage unless its a block of 10 evos.

Its not even 3 new rules, it says 3 SETS of abilities so hopefully this creates avenues for different styles of play to be viable, not just shoot cast. 

Vince venturella had a stream centered on fixing stormcast and pretty much everything he wants in it is how I'd like to see the rules applied. 

3 separate allegiances maybe attached to Chambers warrior/extremis, vanguard and sacrosanct and then rules within them to play those units and make them play the way you want. E. G. Warrior chamber abilities could be simple things like all units automatically have staunch defender, +1 attack when charged, +1 to bravery. Now you can build a classic stormcast army of libs, juds and paladins, maybe stick it in celestial vindicator and you have an army that's still unlikely to win any tournaments but allows much better value from those units, makes them play the way you feel they should and (especially if any decent relevant battalions are added) be competitive in most games. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Mattrulesok said:

Its not even 3 new rules, it says 3 SETS of abilities so hopefully this creates avenues for different styles of play to be viable, not just shoot cast. 

Vince venturella had a stream centered on fixing stormcast and pretty much everything he wants in it is how I'd like to see the rules applied. 

3 separate allegiances maybe attached to Chambers warrior/extremis, vanguard and sacrosanct and then rules within them to play those units and make them play the way you want. E. G. Warrior chamber abilities could be simple things like all units automatically have staunch defender, +1 attack when charged, +1 to bravery. Now you can build a classic stormcast army of libs, juds and paladins, maybe stick it in celestial vindicator and you have an army that's still unlikely to win any tournaments but allows much better value from those units, makes them play the way you feel they should and (especially if any decent relevant battalions are added) be competitive in most games. 

Thatd be fine too. Honestly though SCE need help on objectives. 

I dont necessarily think restricting people into specific chambers is a good idea. Part of our faction is the toolbox armies. Warrior and vanguard lack any magic. While sacrosanct has all three, shooty magic and melee.

They could make it like the Space marine pure chapter bonus or just something like coalesced or starborne like seraphon have

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, jhamslam said:

Thatd be fine too. Honestly though SCE need help on objectives. 

I dont necessarily think restricting people into specific chambers is a good idea. Part of our faction is the toolbox armies. Warrior and vanguard lack any magic. While sacrosanct has all three, shooty magic and melee.

They could make it like the Space marine pure chapter bonus or just something like coalesced or starborne like seraphon have

Seraphon are exactly who I'm thinking of, when I said warrior chamber I don't meant to lock the units only to that chamber, just that the allegiance majorly benefits those units in much the way seraphon allegiances will keyword slann, skink, saurus or monster I'd like our allegiances to do the same thing. You can still bring your sacrosanct wizards but if you want a heavy spellcasting list then you want to be sacrosanct allegiance, if you want lots of libs and paladins then you want warrior etc. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mattrulesok said:

I love that idea and would personally be thrilled to get more power added into base units with some forms of restrictions like ignore -1 rend as long as liberators are 10 or more on the unit for example.

The big vanguard batallion is a great example of how much batallion can help, it provides big bonuses on key units and really drives you into a specific playstyle that fits the idea of a vanguard chamber.
I would love to have more of these, i'm dreaming of an extremis chamber battallion with dracoth commanded by a big conclave of heroes smashing into enemy lines...etc.

I think the base profile of our units are good but we are lacking the small combo and bonuses that other armies have so i'm hoping for some nice extra rules to pull them up.

• Like 1

I don’t think the morathi book is going to significantly change a bunch of books. Maybe I’m wrong, but if the anvil “battalion” is anything to go off of, it’s just going to be a bunch of fun and flavourful little narrative additions. I’m hoping I’m wrong, but I just don’t want to get my hopes up. I figure we’ll get a new book next year and if anything this is just to tide us over until AoS 3 hits.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mattrulesok said:

Seraphon are exactly who I'm thinking of, when I said warrior chamber I don't meant to lock the units only to that chamber, just that the allegiance majorly benefits those units in much the way seraphon allegiances will keyword slann, skink, saurus or monster I'd like our allegiances to do the same thing. You can still bring your sacrosanct wizards but if you want a heavy spellcasting list then you want to be sacrosanct allegiance, if you want lots of libs and paladins then you want warrior etc. 

this i like a lot!. cause it makes an army fitting better in the theme. Looks great on the table and makes sense

7 hours ago, SleeperAgent said:

Like Vince said in his stream, the number one thing they need is a Stardrake battalion. Its such a sweet looking model and barely fits anywhere in the army. Even something like Stardrake + (any number of models) and it gives cover like the Leviadon does would be worth it.

I will be soooooo happy with that ! 5 battalion warscrolls it's quite big and maybe we can have a good evolution for our possibilities.

14 hours ago, OkayestDM said:

We should consider too that this may only be our first wave of new warscroll battalions. If they do a Destruction book that covers the siege of Excelcis, there's almost certainly going to be more for the Knights Excelsior.

I was thinking too, a big faction like Cities might get more than just new Ulgu rules in a different Broken Realms book.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Juicy said:

The Ven Brecht's battalion is 580 points. If they get the ambush ability and mayb some boosted stuff it could be nice to drop the whole battalion on a flank.

well, the units in the battalion are 580 pts, the battalion itself will be around 120-130 pts, so that's 700pts. That boost should be quite big to make it interesting to take "1 w/turn" castigators and gryph "no save" hounds