AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

1 hour ago, Yondaime said:

Why the hate tho? cause they are the posterboys?

Never found some1 in my locals that hates SCE, especially now that they are almost gone in the competitive meta xD

Part of the hate came from old fantasy players and Stormcast epitomizing the loss of the old world as poster boys. Other part is the fact our units were bonkers good when AoS 2 dropped as noone else (poor Nighthaunt...) was on the current powerlevel yet. Then we got nerfed and everyone else got to that new powerlevel and then some. And we were left. Crying. Lonely. Tears. ^^

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nizrah said:

After reading Lumineth battletome and comparing it to ours, the only thing i can say is sad. The number of passive boost, spells, AA, etc.... Our entire spell lores can be summared as Azyrite halo and deal d3 mortals... While they have everything.

Guys, like i really love this army. I play only them, i have succes with them. But if SCE doesnt get what SM in 40k get in terms of power, i dont know what i will do.

Don't cave and buy a new army that just reinforces what GW wants.  Vote with your wallet

1 minute ago, chord said:

Don't cave and buy a new army that just reinforces what GW wants.  Vote with your wallet

I thought about doing that but those shiny High Elves are so shinyyyy.

Also, a good thing to do is buy second hand. That's what I do 90% of the time.

1 minute ago, Maturin said:

I thought about doing that but those shiny High Elves are so shinyyyy.

Also, a good thing to do is buy second hand. That's what I do 90% of the time.

True about second hand but that gives money to the first hand buyer to buy more non-sce units :)

I did buy a ton of SCE.  (and a few other smaller armies) but have not bought anything since our dramatic slide into nothing-ness.

1 hour ago, Nizrah said:

Yea, because they are poster boys.

And, to be fair, because of the disproportionate amount of attention they received in the early days compared to the other armies, even the other ones new to AoS.

Also because they are representative of the tonal shift and design changes of AoS as opposed to WHFB, which a lot of people have never gotten over. Stormcast stand in stark contrast to the grim, gritty, grimdark flavor that permeated WHFB, and a lot of people just don't like that. Which is fine, everybody's tastes differ and what appeals to one person won't appeal to another.

Many people complain about their lore being weak - and to a point I get that, especially in the game's early days - but Ironjawz are basically just big tough orruks that like to hit things, and I've never heard anybody complain about how relatively simplistic that lore is.

There's a number of reasons people don't like Stormcast, and many of them are legitimate and/or just a matter of personal taste. I love them personally, and eagerly anticipate the day they get their next update and all of the goodness that will bring (especially with how much GW has improved its lore writing and army flavoring over the past 2 years!)

• Like 3

@Dayman85

Thank you for the advice, and I will look at trying some of your suggestions. The advice that you've given me doesn't completely gel with my strategy as I don't tend to start the evocators on the board, nor do I buff them with my castellant or encantor, but I can see what you're intending to do with them and I think that is an interesting combo.  One thing to note about your suggested strategy in regardes to Mystic Shield is that Evocators already re-roll 1s against shooting attacks - this is something that I very often forget actually...

@Juicy

Yes, Gavriel is not considered competitive by today's standards, but what I have found is that if you are playing Hammers of Sigmar, it's as competitive as the list can get. If I don't take him, my list gets considerably worse and there's nothing inherent in available in that subfaction that can make up for it. You basically have to go to a different subfaction if you want a stronger list, which narratively is not something I feel like doing. I've enjoyed playing my army the way I want and developing tactics around Gavriel these past couple of years. It's not perfect, but I find most people are just too lazy to try to defend against him, even very good players. I've absolutely won a few games in tournaments that I probably shouldn't have because of him, so he's still a major threat, just not the boogeyman that some people thought he might be. I think the crux of the reason he's not stronger is that it's a one-time combo and drains most of your CPs. All of my Stormcast units are basically "one-hit wonders" on the board, which is the biggest issue with the army. You do your tricky combo move and then you're just kind of a sitting duck on the table after that. C'est la vie!

Edited by Mark Williams
  • Like 1

Just checking as I just got the model. 

Am i missing anything on Astreia Solbright? Just a Lord arcanum on Gryphcharger with a worse warscroll spell, more limited command ability, but a slightly better combat mount?

And vs the lord arcanum on Dracoline it's no challenge imo if you're also taking dracolines.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Just checking as I just got the model. 

Am i missing anything on Astreia Solbright? Just a Lord arcanum on Gryphcharger with a worse warscroll spell, more limited command ability, but a slightly better combat mount?

And vs the lord arcanum on Dracoline it's no challenge imo if you're also taking dracolines.

Yeah it's not good- i play as generic LA on Dracoline, but she's not great in-game. But it looks great! Especially next to evocators on dracolines.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Borsuk said:

I’ve read new GHB2020  preview. Finally, liberators will be cheaper. I’m wondering how much. Sigmar be praised.

My guess would be most likely a 5-10 point drop. Possibly up to 20 (I feel they warrant it) but not sure if GW would move that dramatically. Certainly not more than that.

im glad to read that liberators are going down but i really hope atleast 10 points but 20 point drop would be very very nice.. Till we get a new book atleast and we can bump them back to 100 with some proper rules like the demi gods these stormbois should be

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nizrah said:

Yups, and im gonna help you.

Count me in. :D

i really hope GW will make our life just a little bit easier. Are you thinking they will really rise tax for any of our units? It’s not like they’re competitive or something.

7 minutes ago, PrimeElectrid said:

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if the only change was cheaper Libs and more expensive Longstrikes.

Maybe we’ll see some tweaks to stuff that got missed before? Judicators, Castigators and Paladins come to mind.

they finna look at my list and go "well time to raise points on evos and longstrikes again"

on the other hand if libs are going down then sequitors and judis might come down too

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hughwyeth said:

Yeah it's not good- i play as generic LA on Dracoline, but she's not great in-game. But it looks great! Especially next to evocators on dracolines.

Cool, then I’m going to get my conversion on when I’m done with the rest of the host. 

• Like 1

I'm a bit disappointed that they are lowering the points on Stormcasts. I would have much rather seen improvements to the warscrolls so they are worth their points. And if that was happening anytime soon they would probably not be lowering the points just to bring them up again. So we're probably stuck with the current warscrolls longer that at least I hoped.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Memnoch said:

I'm a bit disappointed that they are lowering the points on Stormcasts. I would have much rather seen improvements to the warscrolls so they are worth their points. And if that was happening anytime soon they would probably not be lowering the points just to bring them up again. So we're probably stuck with the current warscrolls longer that at least I hoped.

Not necessarily. For instance, with winter update KO got some points lowering and next month they got new battletome. GHB was assembled and printed long ago. Don't lose hope 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Memnoch said:

Nah theyll bring the points back up when the scrolls are worth it.

See: Skinks. They raised the points, changed the warscroll then brought em back down

• Like 1