AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

If for nothing else, the book is a really enjoyable read. If you like learning about the background of your army of choice then I would highly recommend it. I got the book randomly in a deal. Never had any inclination to start SCE but then I read it and was instantly hooked. 

8 hours ago, lare2 said:

If for nothing else, the book is a really enjoyable read. If you like learning about the background of your army of choice then I would highly recommend it. I got the book randomly in a deal. Never had any inclination to start SCE but then I read it and was instantly hooked. 

Dunno if I'd agree. You can get most of this with a google search if you really care - but honestly, as someone who's been playing both AoS and 40k for a long time, the SCE battletome is a pretty uninspiring work as far as lore pieces go. I wouldn't even give it high marks within the extremely narrow confines of AoS lore pieces in general. I guess it's an improvement from previous SCE fluff?

On 5/19/2020 at 10:22 PM, NauticalSoup said:

Dunno if I'd agree. You can get most of this with a google search if you really care - but honestly, as someone who's been playing both AoS and 40k for a long time, the SCE battletome is a pretty uninspiring work as far as lore pieces go. I wouldn't even give it high marks within the extremely narrow confines of AoS lore pieces in general. I guess it's an improvement from previous SCE fluff?

I'd agree.  Been playing Stormcast since the beginning of the game.  IMO the earlier battletome's were better reads than the latest one.  

58 minutes ago, Heaven_lord said:

Hey, what do you guys think about this list for competitive play ?

IMG_20200523_145335.jpg

I hope you like losing?

For threats in this list you have... a stardrake.  Which are notoriously pillow fisted, and only really work in a list that is dedicated to doing mortal wound spam to eliminate key buff pieces for units, which this list doesn't have enough of.  As for the rest of your list, both judicators and liberators have terrible warscrolls, and minimum sized units of paladins are just asking for your opponent to come in and blow you out, as they aren't big enough to be a significant threat.

Take a look at either the starcast thread or the shootcast thread.  Those are the only two lists that are remotely capable of competitive play at the moment.  While those two lists are capable of going 3-2, with the occasional 4-1, something like this is far more likely to be a 1-4 or a 2-3 on a lucky day.

37 minutes ago, readercolin said:

I hope you like losing?

For threats in this list you have... a stardrake.  Which are notoriously pillow fisted, and only really work in a list that is dedicated to doing mortal wound spam to eliminate key buff pieces for units, which this list doesn't have enough of.  As for the rest of your list, both judicators and liberators have terrible warscrolls, and minimum sized units of paladins are just asking for your opponent to come in and blow you out, as they aren't big enough to be a significant threat.

Take a look at either the starcast thread or the shootcast thread.  Those are the only two lists that are remotely capable of competitive play at the moment.  While those two lists are capable of going 3-2, with the occasional 4-1, something like this is far more likely to be a 1-4 or a 2-3 on a lucky day.

While I agree with the negative take, for the sake of completeness and list variation it's worth mentioning that there is a guy (I've seen him posting on the fb groups, don't know whether he hangs around here) who had a decent result (3-2 and 35th place I think) at Hammer&Bolter (100 players tournament in Belgium) with a Skyborne Slayers list.  Here's what he was playing:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Lord-Celestant (100)
-
 General
- Trait: Champion of the Realms
- Artefact: Sword of Judgement
Knight-Vexillor (120)
-
 Pennant of the Stormbringer
- Artefact: Spellshield
Celestant-Prime (340)
Excelsior Warpriest (80)
-
 Allies

Battleline
10 x Liberators (200)
-
 Warhammer & Shield
- 2x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
-
 Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Judicators (160)
-
 Boltstorm Crossbows
- 1x Thunderbolt Crossbows
5 x Judicators (160)
-
 Boltstorm Crossbows

Units
10 x Protectors (360)
-
 4x Starsoul Maces
5 x Decimators (180)
-
 2x Starsoul Maces

Battalions
Skyborne Slayers (190)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 80 / 400
Wounds: 118

Edited by Marcvs
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, chord said:

Somebody should sticky a note to the top of the Stormcast forum,  If you're looking for a very competitive army you have three choices Starcast, ShootCast, another army.

Do you think if it is safe with the new GHB comming to invest in a shootcast or starcast army ?

1 hour ago, Heaven_lord said:

Do you think if it is safe with the new GHB comming to invest in a shootcast or starcast army ?

Eh, probably not until after we see the GHB.  The GHB will just adjust the points the overall weakness in the SCE army will still be un-addressed.

NOW if you are just playing with some friends for fun and not being really competitive you can feel safe to invest in the SCE.  The large variety makes putting together fun narrative armies great. 

4 hours ago, Marcvs said:

While I agree with the negative take, for the sake of completeness and list variation it's worth mentioning that there is a guy (I've seen him posting on the fb groups, don't know whether he hangs around here) who had a decent result (3-2 and 35th place I think) at Hammer&Bolter (100 players tournament in Belgium) with a Skyborne Slayers list.  Here's what he was playing:

Hide contents

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Lord-Celestant (100)
-
 General
- Trait: Champion of the Realms
- Artefact: Sword of Judgement
Knight-Vexillor (120)
-
 Pennant of the Stormbringer
- Artefact: Spellshield
Celestant-Prime (340)
Excelsior Warpriest (80)
-
 Allies

Battleline
10 x Liberators (200)
-
 Warhammer & Shield
- 2x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
-
 Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Judicators (160)
-
 Boltstorm Crossbows
5 x Judicators (160)
-
 Boltstorm Crossbows

Units
10 x Protectors (360)
-
 4x Starsoul Maces
5 x Decimators (180)
-
 2x Starsoul Maces

Battalions
Skyborne Slayers (190)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 80 / 400
Wounds: 118

Yeah it was me playing this list. Played the first game against a really strong opponent with a top tier fyreslayer list. Lost hard but learned a lot.  Next game i was up against a full gunline city's army, I did beat him by making full advantage of the skyborne slayers ability. Next game was against a hard Daughters of Khaine list with morathi. Lost in turn 5 al of the fail of 1 dice roll to make a charge onto the objective so was pretty close. Next game vs another strong heartguard massed fyreslayer list. Won that 1. Then i won vs a Nurgle list but felt like that was the first match i went into without feeling very very underpowerd. I still play this list and changes some things but keeping the core with the skyborne slayer intact. Playing it almost every week against a lot of differant lists and tiers. Its hard to play the same guy twice with it cause he know whats coming. So i tent to win first then lose the second match most of the time cause people screen a lot. Still having fun and the skyborne slayers do take people by surpise. But its no where near good enough to do damage. So i play avoid fights and hug on objectives most of the time and thats not the intention of GW his skyborne slayers;)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Heaven_lord said:

I think it's probably safe to just not invest in SCE, full stop. Wait until a new book is not just announced, but we start getting leaks - ie just play something else.

The way GW handles points adjustments we're just as likely to see SCE's few good units get points nerfs as we are to see any tangible buffs.

On 5/19/2020 at 4:06 AM, Argonte said:

Hi all, I am a new stormcast player and I was wondering If It is whorth buying the tome or wait for revamp ¿What do you think? I am a casual player.

i'd recommend getting it to browse and read, i love just looking through battletomes: the art is great and you get painting how-tos on top of all the fluff.

On 5/19/2020 at 10:22 PM, NauticalSoup said:

which battletomes would you recommend purely for lore pieces?

On 5/21/2020 at 8:41 AM, chord said:

I'd agree.  Been playing Stormcast since the beginning of the game.  IMO the earlier battletome's were better reads than the latest one.  

in what way? if the lore is better maybe I should check one of the older books out 😅

1 hour ago, CommissarRotke said:

which battletomes would you recommend purely for lore pieces?

I have yet to read an Age of Sigmar product that I would recommend for lore reasons.

To expand on that, the ones I have read thus fall pretty short of what we've seen in the past from both WHFB and 40k. They're overall better than they were, but still pretty mediocre. The setting just doesn't have the meat of its progenitor since it's about these endlessly vast wishy-washy spaces that exist solely as a backdrop for people to butt heads in.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

With the new ghb what point changes would you like to see?

im hoping for point drops on judicators mostly since they feel like costing way to much.  Rest of our roster im not sure point drops would help a lot but what do you guys think?

6 hours ago, Juicy said:

With the new ghb what point changes would you like to see?

im hoping for point drops on judicators mostly since they feel like costing way to much.  Rest of our roster im not sure point drops would help a lot but what do you guys think?

In the short term, I wouldn't mind some points drops across the board just to make Stormcast more playable (and yes, definately would like to see Juds go down.)

That said, I think we're all in agreement at this point that Stormcast need a full overhaul. Point drops may make the faction a little more playable, but they don't feel like they should. When Ironjawz got updated they felt right, An elite army that wanted to get stuck into melee and that hit like a mack truck! They feel like they're tough as nails, eager for battle, and that they love a good fight.

SC used to feel like the heroic warriors of thunder and righteous fury encased in formidable armor. Now - with how the meta has changed - not so much. They need their "umph" back. Point drops will get you more models on the table, which is nice and fun and good for those who have a good collection of them (such as yours truly) but it doesn't make up for the fact that in aggregate the faction just feels bland, uninspiring, and a bit pillow-fisted.

Sorry, turning off rant-brain now.

Honestly, Juds and Libs should both get a price drop, if only because they're the only generic battleline in SC and it might give people an excuse to use them more. Maybe even ratchet Sacrosanct models back down to their original price points. It would be ice to be able to field a few more Sequitors and Evocators in a fight.

Edited by OkayestDM
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Has there been any inkling at all  lately that Stormcast may get an overhaul?  Do you guys think GW just isn't aware of the state Stormcast is in?  Or do they just not care?  *Puts on tinfoil hat* Is it possible they are leaving Stormcast sub par to appease the Stormcast haters?

5 minutes ago, Celestantpants said:

Has there been any inkling at all  lately that Stormcast may get an overhaul?  Do you guys think GW just isn't aware of the state Stormcast is in?  Or do they just not care?  *Puts on tinfoil hat* Is it possible they are leaving Stormcast sub par to appease the Stormcast haters?

I think it's more likely that they're waiting until the next edition drops to release another chamber and update everything. It's just the price we pay for being the first faction to get updated I guess. I don't play 40k, but I hear that's what usually happens to Space Marines too.

3 hours ago, OkayestDM said:

I think it's more likely that they're waiting until the next edition drops to release another chamber and update everything. It's just the price we pay for being the first faction to get updated I guess. I don't play 40k, but I hear that's what usually happens to Space Marines too.

This. They meed to stretch out those SCE releases cuz their army is rapidly becoming dangerously bloated with too many units that fill the same niche.

Although 8th edition space marines got not one but TWO codexes (and about a billion splatbooks) in a single edition which was... weird. 

• Thanks 1

Hello guys! Been hopping between possible armies, even started Idoneth Deepkin (passed them on in the end) and now I'm keen on starting both Sylvaneth and  perhaps Stormcast Eternals. I've been digging through youtube, reddit and here for armylists and builds but still for some reason, feel kind of lost. From what I have gathered Stormcasts are in an awkward position at the moment but I think it will be a long time before I find myself in an tournament.
What should I get for 1000 points to start? I like playstyles that are clever, so preferably variations in strategy so the answer is not always to dash and smash. :D I enjoy wide variety in an army of hammer & anvil, magic, ranged...
Would Stormcast Eternals Exorcism Soulstrike -box be a good place to start? I would not like to go through the hassle of selling soul wars nighthaunt halves and the unit sizes are annoying. How about the Vanguard Start collecting? 

Ya, Stormcast units (as well as most of Legions of Nagash), have the problem of their warscrolls going mostly unchanged since 0 edition (what I call the period before points and the first ghb).

The game is simply far too different for the games those units rules were written for, which is part of the reason Sacrosanct stand out so much (actually being written with 2e at least in mind).

Edited by AverageBoss