AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

25 minutes ago, Maturin said:

Nice miniature! Simple painting but effective. Everything's cleanly done.
Gold is retributor armour with a very thin coat of REikland shade ? It retained that SHINY GOLD effect that often lack after the shading.

It‘s oro Elfico of Scale75. I often call it „Gold of gods“ since it‘s the nicest, smoothest and brightest gold I’ve ever seen =}

Edit: Washed the recesses with a heavily thinned down purple shade.

the basing is done now as well 

20A29C86-8AF3-4072-AE1D-F1778A89706D.jpeg.0d80264e98158f1e7c634edff3c61082.jpeg

C9A8CAEA-8854-4933-91EB-34EE0D8CBA23.jpeg.53c7cc732745ea5a9553bac84dd435e1.jpeg7F9D9B31-051E-446D-BDF1-FE10E5AB31F4.jpeg.cd0db34202cdf86ea5860cff0efc6853.jpegD46EE527-A464-4BE0-B707-CB79A64906C7.jpeg.f75e367afdb2bea01cca0a2c438e1255.jpeg

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

It‘s oro Elfico of Scale75. I often call it „Gold of gods“ since it‘s the nicest, smoothest and brightest gold I’ve ever seen =}

Edit: Washed the recesses with a heavily thinned down purple shade.

Thank you I didn't know that brand. Really beautiful gold. What about the rest of the paints ? How long  did it take to paint down the whole mini ?

Edited by Maturin

23 minutes ago, Maturin said:

Thank you I didn't know that brand. Really beautiful gold. What about the rest of the paints ? How long  did it take to paint down the whole mini ?

I painted in in my work breaks 🤔

40-60 minutes I guess (to be fair I tested some techniques so it took me about 40% longer than usual)

Edited by JackStreicher

• 2 weeks later...

as it has been said before, the more "wavy" look of the tails makes me think more of Devoted of Sigmar than Stormcast, as all stormcast tails have always had strong straight shapes.

That said, before a new stormcast chamber I would think of an underworlds warband or a new variation of a character. GW seems fond of knight questors and Incantors to release as limited editions

Well, i think we’ll get new book this year, I put my money on ruination chamber. I bet new models will be cool and stuff, but tbh I hope they will fix older units, because they get more and more unplayable. I love my paladins, and even more vanguards, but it sure would be nice to win some games with them. Nevertheless I am pretty exited.

• Like 1

Hey guys,

I‘ve skimmed through the latest tournament results and it seems that SCE are not in the best spot on a competitive level at the Moment, has anyone of you had some good success with stormcasts lately and what are the current go to lists for competitive play?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

2 hours ago, Grudgebearer said:

Hey guys,

I‘ve skimmed through the latest tournament results and it seems that SCE are not in the best spot on a competitive level at the Moment, has anyone of you had some good success with stormcasts lately and what are the current go to lists for competitive play?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Usually it's a block of 9-ish Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrikes and a couple squads of Aetherwings. Liberators as battleline because everything else is too expensive. Sometimes Evokitties to smash things. Not a heck of a lot of variety. Mostly it's just build around the Vanguard-Raptors and shoot them twice a turn while avoiding letting them get charged.

On 3/31/2020 at 8:18 PM, Blessed_by_Sigmar said:

Hello all! Longtime AoS player here, looking to get back into SCE. Just wanted some opinions on this list before I start buying things. The general idea is to deep strike the evocators, and use Kroak to wipe screens for the first turn or 2 while banking command points. After destroying the screens, you bring down the cats and use the Arcanum on Dracoline's command ability a bunch to give them a lot of extra attacks on the cats. Mount trait gives them plus 1 to hit, and to keep them killing after they come down the Heraldor can let a unit retreat and charge. They'll also be able to cast Empower and Celestial Blades to power themselves up too.  Thanks in advance!

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Tempest Lords

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum on Celestial Dracoline (220)
- General
- Command Trait: Bonds of Noble Duty
- Artefact: Patrician's Helm
- Spell: Thundershock
- Mount Trait: Pride Leader
Knight-Heraldor (100)
Lord Kroak (320)
- Allies

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers

Units
6 x Evocators on Dracolines (520)
- Lore of Invigoration: Celestial Blades
6 x Evocators on Dracolines (520)
- Lore of Invigoration: Celestial Blades

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 320 / 400
Wounds: 109

the immediate issue i can see is that your enemy won't have anything else to shoot/cast at aside from Kroak and your dracs, which is what you're pinning success on.

might want to drop one unit of 6 cats for more chaff?

On 4/16/2020 at 5:39 PM, xking said:

Summary:

1. SCE are objectively below average at this point in time.

2. The fault mostly lies with warscrolls and not points values.

3. Allegiance abilities are lacking compared to other armies.

4. SCE should have good solid units that don’t rely Much on synergy. Shouldn’t need heroes or other units nearby to make combos in order to feel good.

5. Synergy should exist within chambers, like the new seraphon book or cities of Sigmar. Ex: A warrior chamber hero might buff a warrior chamber unit, but has no synergy with other chamber units.

6. Each chamber should get some allegiance like rules. Ex: warrior chamber units that aren’t characters get +1 SV if they didn’t charge. Staunch defender is removed and doesn’t apply to heroes - no buff synergy from heroes on that level. Warrior chamber heroes get something else, but at the chamber level and can only buff other chamber units. SCE should appear on the board as small “pocket” combos.

7. Remains a small model, elite army. No marauders or chaff units, no points decreases. Units should be small but efficient and powerful.

8. Damage of all Stormcast units should be increased by 1. Libs deal 2 damage per wound that goes through, retributors deal 3 damage each. Every Stormcast on the board should feel like a mini hero. 

9. No complicated turn activation mechanics. Army should be simple to play and understand. Abilities on their warscrolls should “just work.” You can’t circumvent them or turn them off with other armies abilities. 

10. Army feel should be “slow but deadly.” If they can get to you and survive combat and get to attack, they should hit like a ton of bricks. Dragons should be maw crusha level damage, Ceslestant prime should have 5 base attacks and higher damage per swing, etc. People should be afraid to engage them if they cannot kill them in a single turn. (Effectively double their current threat.)

11. Few changes to Sacrosanct chamber, just make their abilities work and simple to use. Sequitors shouldn’t be able to be attacked without putting up their shield wall, etc.

12. Battalions should be weak, but versatile and allow for many different units to be composed in it. Ex: Don’t name specific units, just say 1 Warrior chamber hero and 2 warrior chamber units,  etc.. Allow players to use all their models and still use a battalion. But to compensate, the bonuses should be very minor. 

Edited by Mark Williams
  • Like 8

10 hours ago, Mark Williams said:

Summary:

1. SCE are objectively below average at this point in time.

2. The fault mostly lies with warscrolls and not points values.

3. Allegiance abilities are lacking compared to other armies.

4. SCE should have good solid units that don’t rely Much on synergy. Shouldn’t need heroes or other units nearby to make combos in order to feel good.

5. Synergy should exist within chambers, like the new seraphon book or cities of Sigmar. Ex: A warrior chamber hero might buff a warrior chamber unit, but has no synergy with other chamber units.

6. Each chamber should get some allegiance like rules. Ex: warrior chamber units that aren’t characters get +1 SV if they didn’t charge. Staunch defender is removed and doesn’t apply to heroes - no buff synergy from heroes on that level. Warrior chamber heroes get something else, but at the chamber level and can only buff other chamber units. SCE should appear on the board as small “pocket” combos.

7. Remains a small model, elite army. No marauders or chaff units, no points decreases. Units should be small but efficient and powerful.

8. Damage of all Stormcast units should be increased by 1. Libs deal 2 damage per wound that goes through, retributors deal 3 damage each. Every Stormcast on the board should feel like a mini hero. 

9. No complicated turn activation mechanics. Army should be simple to play and understand. Abilities on their warscrolls should “just work.” You can’t circumvent them or turn them off with other armies abilities. 

10. Army feel should be “slow but deadly.” If they can get to you and survive combat and get to attack, they should hit like a ton of bricks. Dragons should be maw crusha level damage, Ceslestant prime should have 5 base attacks and higher damage per swing, etc. People should be afraid to engage them if they cannot kill them in a single turn. (Effectively double their current threat.)

11. Few changes to Sacrosanct chamber, just make their abilities work and simple to use. Sequitors shouldn’t be able to be attacked without putting up their shield wall, etc.

12. Battalions should be weak, but versatile and allow for many different units to be composed in it. Ex: Don’t name specific units, just say 1 Warrior chamber hero and 2 warrior chamber units,  etc.. Allow players to use all their models and still use a battalion. But to compensate, the bonuses should be very minor. 

I love these ideas.

Hello  SCE players! 

I picked up the SCE start collecting box a couple days ago after a long break from Warhammer.  For now, due to corona 😜, I'm just going to buy and paint the models I like. 

However, I need some pointers to build a somewhat viable SCE army that I can play some fair games with. I've looked around and the Ballista/Ordinator comp looks really exciting. Is this still Viable or just plain useless atm??

Edited by DarkDude

16 hours ago, DarkDude said:

Hello  SCE players! 

I picked up the SCE start collecting box a couple days ago after a long break from Warhammer.  For now, due to corona 😜, I'm just going to buy and paint the models I like. 

However, I need some pointers to build a somewhat viable SCE army that I can play some fair games with. I've looked around and the Ballista/Ordinator comp looks really exciting. Is this still Viable or just plain useless atm??

There are only 2 "Competitive" lists for stormcast at the moment.  By competitive, I mean something that can go 4-1 or 3-2 somewhat consistently.  These lists are "shootcast", built around a block of 9 longstrikes + anvils of heldenhammer, and "starcast", which is built around 1-2 stardrakes and some other support elements.

Neither of these lists run the Ballista+Ordinator combo.  However, I would say that this isn't due to them being useless, just that they are a little short of viable at the moment.  If you aren't competing at the highest of levels, the Ballista's + Ordinator can be very effective, and I would rate as a solid B tier option to slot into your force (as compared to the A tiered option of the 2 competitive lists).

All this being said, this also depends on which points level you are playing at.  At 1000 points, I don't feel the ballista's are worth it, as they are too swingy damage wise to be reliable, and the Ordinator doesn't really pull his weight only buffing 2 ballista's, but you aren't allowed to take any more artillery at vanguard point totals.  At 2000 points, the package costs 560 points, leaving you just short of 3/4 of your army left to add in. 

Additionally, to make best use of them, ballista's work better if you can deploy them in Azur to call down within machine gun range of their targets, which means that you have 5 drops in the heavens and it is going to be VERY hard to get any more significant forces in Azur.  This means that some of the usual units that stormcast likes to take (ex. Evocators + Gavriel) don't really work as you don't have the space in Azur for that.  So you want to put something on the ground that has the mobility/range to touch your targets from a distance.  Examples would be the various stormcast cavalry, Longstrikes/Judicators, or even stardrakes.  However, you are still going to have to have your battleline, which unless you go judicators is probably best as 3 units of min sized squads of liberators.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, readercolin said:

There are only 2 "Competitive" lists for stormcast at the moment.  By competitive, I mean something that can go 4-1 or 3-2 somewhat consistently.  These lists are "shootcast", built around a block of 9 longstrikes + anvils of heldenhammer, and "starcast", which is built around 1-2 stardrakes and some other support elements.

Just to give you an example of a "mixed build", before switching to full Starcast, I played (and had a lot of success in not-super-competitive games) with a Stardrake + ballistas with two lists, one with the Celestant Prime...

Spoiler

Celestant on Stardrake

Lord Castellant

Knight Incantor

Celestant Prime

Lord ordinator

3x5 liberators

3 ballistas

everblaze comet

...and the other with Lord Kroak (which I now absolutely prefer over the first):

Spoiler

Celestant on Stardrake

Lord Castellant

Lord Exorcist

Lord Kroak

Lord ordinator

3x5 liberators

3 ballistas

everblaze comet

umbral spellportal

• Like 1

Hello here, i am a destruction player but i come here for a friend. He actually starte to paint and go for Stormcast Eternal army. 

He actually have a Knight Azyros and 5 liberator.

He really like the shooting style and the Celestar balista. Can you have some good list with balista ? (Level amateur +). I want to help him to build a good list basing on shooting.

Thanks for the help guys 🙂👍

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2020 at 5:30 PM, readercolin said:

Neither of these lists run the Ballista+Ordinator combo.  However, I would say that this isn't due to them being useless, just that they are a little short of viable at the moment.  If you aren't competing at the highest of levels, the Ballista's + Ordinator can be very effective, and I would rate as a solid B tier option to slot into your force (as compared to the A tiered option of the 2 competitive lists).

All this being said, this also depends on which points level you are playing at.  At 1000 points, I don't feel the ballista's are worth it, as they are too swingy damage wise to be reliable, and the Ordinator doesn't really pull his weight only buffing 2 ballista's, but you aren't allowed to take any more artillery at vanguard point totals.  At 2000 points, the package costs 560 points, leaving you just short of 3/4 of your army left to add in. 

Additionally, to make best use of them, ballista's work better if you can deploy them in Azur to call down within machine gun range of their targets, which means that you have 5 drops in the heavens and it is going to be VERY hard to get any more significant forces in Azur.  This means that some of the usual units that stormcast likes to take (ex. Evocators + Gavriel) don't really work as you don't have the space in Azur for that.  So you want to put something on the ground that has the mobility/range to touch your targets from a distance.  Examples would be the various stormcast cavalry, Longstrikes/Judicators, or even stardrakes.  However, you are still going to have to have your battleline, which unless you go judicators is probably best as 3 units of min sized squads of liberators.

On 4/19/2020 at 7:39 PM, Marcvs said:

Just to give you an example of a "mixed build", before switching to full Starcast, I played (and had a lot of success in not-super-competitive games) with a Stardrake + ballistas with two lists, one with the Celestant Prime...

Reveal hidden contents

Celestant on Stardrake

Lord Castellant

Knight Incantor

Celestant Prime

Lord ordinator

3x5 liberators

3 ballistas

everblaze comet

...and the other with Lord Kroak (which I now absolutely prefer over the first):

Reveal hidden contents

Celestant on Stardrake

Lord Castellant

Lord Exorcist

Lord Kroak

Lord ordinator

3x5 liberators

3 ballistas

everblaze comet

umbral spellportal

Thx for the informative answers! I think i'm going to try the Lord Kroak approach. The Kroak model is just awsome :D 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, OkayestDM said:

I imagine they'll wait for a new chamber to give us an updated Battletome. 

With all the lore, info, and warscrolls they're going to be filling into it, that books going to be expensive when it does eventually come out.

They could honestly condense so much stuff it isnt even funny.

Like Retributors, Protectors and Decimators should just be one Warscroll - Paladins

Protectors, Fulminators and Tempestors should be one warscroll - Dracothion Guard

If they reeeeallly wanted to? They could put liberators and judicators into one warscroll with different weapon options, since theyre both battleline.

Most of the useless battalions could be condensed to 2-3 battalions per chamber instead of having all these unnecessary mega battalions.

And so on

• Like 3

10 hours ago, jhamslam said:

They could honestly condense so much stuff it isnt even funny.

Like Retributors, Protectors and Decimators should just be one Warscroll - Paladins

Protectors, Fulminators and Tempestors should be one warscroll - Dracothion Guard

If they reeeeallly wanted to? They could put liberators and judicators into one warscroll with different weapon options, since theyre both battleline.

Most of the useless battalions could be condensed to 2-3 battalions per chamber instead of having all these unnecessary mega battalions.

And so on

While I fundamentally agree with the notion, It'll never happen because they don't want to rebox stuff and current GW seems to care about having discrete unit names from a marketing perspective. They don't even clearly list dual-kits on their website, you basically have to already understand this practice to figure it out.

Seems like they're going down the road of SKU hell like they did with fantasy before, though. Stormcast is already bloated with a ton of redundant unit choices and kits. Can't be good for sales.

Edited by NauticalSoup
  • Like 1

The downside to grouping up warscrolls is point costing becomes harder. I'd recommend combining similar units so that you have combat dracoth and range dracoth for example. Condense rules, where possible and make balanced weapon options. Really, they need to cut some units. I'd do this;

• all named units removed except Prime (-6)
  • Prosecutors can become one (-1)
  • Dracoth riders become  1 melee/1 shooting (-2)
  • Paladins = 1 unit (-2)
  • remove castigators (people can use them as judicators/vanguard hunters anyway)
  • Vanguard raptors become 1 (-1) Another alternative would be to make them an upgrade to judicator units?
  • Make Lord Exorcist and Incantor same warscroll but alternate loadout (-1)
  • Make Lord Relictor and Veritant same warscroll but alternate loadout (-1)
  • Remove Drakesworn Templar (-1)
  • Remove Knight Questor/Errant Questor/Zephyros (-3)

This is quite aggressive, but I like it. It clears out 18 scrolls. 

I don't like all the duplications of Lord Arcanum/Celestant, but maybe that is ok. Perhaps the arcanum on gryph charger/celestial dracoline can be alternative builds.

For the love of god, we don't need more units, especially not heroes!

Edited by The World Tree
  • Like 1

For a beginners friendly army (at least it was advertised that way to me) they are absolutely not beginners friendly. Ok painting maybe. But otherwise too many units doing closely the same. Being +- 20pts in difference. Listbuilding becomes a nightmare until you figure out what works and what not. Until then you may spend a lot of time and money on dead ends. Keeping fingers crossed that a new battletome brings 2-3 new chamber units and a new hero - but losing a the same time redundant units, big style! Ps: GW should also check community updates for the warscrolls/abilities. Stuff like @PJetski did. I know they, wont but still 😅

• Like 3