AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

4 hours ago, CommissarRotke said:

welp, any chance I could proxy them as liberators in casual games? thankfully I only have 12 Sequitors from Soul Wars, but spending 62usd on 10 liberators feels so bad..

If you're playing casual games you probably don't want to try too hard to learn competitive SCE. That will inevitably lead you to Shootcast, which won't be particularly fun for you or your opponents.

Also, if you want my unsolicited advice, now isn't really the time to be spending money on SCE. They're a junk army, and the inevitable new tome and chamber is likely to throw a wrench into the good/bad analysis. I own exclusively Seqs and regularly proxy them as Libs in casual games, because I'd sooner tip my army into a dumpster than spend a penny on friggin' Liberators which remain one of the outright worst units in the entire game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Sleepa said:

Do we (SC players) literally have to try to table or cripple our opponents in our current state right now? is objective play just not a practical strategy for our army?

Yes. Stormcast lack the bodies to fight over objectives with body count, and are too fragile to play a long attrition game. We can build for strong defensive units like a 1+ Stardrake but that's an expensive combo, and few Stormcast units do any meaningful damage so we can't afford to be spending 700 points on an unkillable monster that does little damage.

The best strategy  is to swiftly and decisively wipe units out so that you take as little damage as possible as you get on objectives.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Sleepa said:

Do we (SC players) literally have to try to table or cripple our opponents in our current state right now? is objective play just not a practical strategy for our army?

Yeah , the idea is to smash your opponents kneecaps asap. Its always been an SCE problem, but its become more pronounced with each new tome coming out

4 hours ago, CommissarRotke said:

I'll take my enjoyment out of painting and building the models themselves then, maybe grab an audiobook for my commute. Not in a position to buy into another army so casual games if any/waiting game it is

This is always The Way in my eyes.

I'm fortunate enough to have my Warclans army as well to tide me over but I've beem happier since I've come to terms with SCE's power level. I work on my Sacrosanct and occasionally use 'em in low power casual games, especially against newer players. I also break 'em out when my opponent wants to try a 'fun' and undertuned list.

Also using Ardboys really makes you realize how bad stormcast battleline is.

48 minutes ago, snipersyn said:

All it takes is a new tome to sort out all this gloomy banter.

Does everyone really think that GW will go lengths to shoot their poster boys in the nuts by emasculating them via a worse book?

I don't think there's any doubt a new book is on the way, but if they pull another Soul Wars, only give us a new chamber with new models, and maybe some points updates; I'm straight up retiring my SC, and throwing them up for sale.

• Like 1

@CommissarRotke actually buying second hand Stormcast is probably easier than finding Space Marines in 40k, so many people who enter the hobby get into SCE off the bat due to the big split boxes and deals then either change armies if they stick or just bounce off. I've seen some pretty incredible deals in my local community and ebay is often stocked up with discounted SCE units and armies. Definitely a smarter way to pick up new units during this period between battletomes.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to implore everyone to send GW an email about Stormcast's current warscroll and balance issues: aosfaq@gwplc.com

I talked about the need for more synergy, better warscrolls for older units, and possibly 3 wounds for regular troops. I also linked PJetski's revamp project to ask them to read through it for ideas and to better understand the current problems

• Like 3

So I just read the latest designer's commentary for the new Seraphon. The file addressed the much debated issue of 1+ save bastiladon and its interaction with rend characteristic. Below is the full query.

"Q: How does the Rend characteristic of attacks interact with the Bastiladon while it has a 1+ Save characteristic? A: An unmodified save roll of a 1 always fails. When a save roll is modified by the Rend characteristic of an attack, it can never be modified to less than 1. When a model has a Save characteristic of 1+, modified save rolls of 1 are successfully saved. This means, while the Bastiladon has a Save characteristic of 1+, only unmodified save rolls of 1 will inflict damage regardless of the Rend characteristic of the weapon used for the attack."

So even with rend -2 or -3 you cannot modify the save to below 1 as per the commentary. Will it help Stardrake  weather high rend attacks which are common nowadays?(KoS, Terrorgheists, Salamanders, etc)

21 minutes ago, Sagittarii Orientalis said:

So I just read the latest designer's commentary for the new Seraphon. The file addressed the much debated issue of 1+ save bastiladon and its interaction with rend characteristic. Below is the full query.

"Q: How does the Rend characteristic of attacks interact with the Bastiladon while it has a 1+ Save characteristic? A: An unmodified save roll of a 1 always fails. When a save roll is modified by the Rend characteristic of an attack, it can never be modified to less than 1. When a model has a Save characteristic of 1+, modified save rolls of 1 are successfully saved. This means, while the Bastiladon has a Save characteristic of 1+, only unmodified save rolls of 1 will inflict damage regardless of the Rend characteristic of the weapon used for the attack."

So even with rend -2 or -3 you cannot modify the save to below 1 as per the commentary. Will it help Stardrake  weather high rend attacks which are common nowadays?(KoS, Terrorgheists, Salamanders, etc)

I doubt that it will help due to the fact that it is modifier rather than a base warscroll value. All modifiers are added at the same time, where as the bastilidon creates a situation where you start at 1 and then modify from there.

• Like 1

Hi all, quick question which could be summarised as: what is a "casual list" when you're playing with stormcast?

Context: due to lockdown I am now playing more and more with complete strangers (on tts), and often someone looks for a "casual game". It is always quite difficult to gauge with they actually mean by that, again not knowing the gaming culture and so on, but I take it it means at least no over-optimised / janky lists. So I leave the Kroakcast 🐸list at home and bring some "in your face" melee army of sequitors, dracothian guard and palladors with some buff pieces. So far this has proven effective, but it's not particularly fun or strategic. 

So, someone got any suggestion about "fun" lists which could fit into a "casual" game? Guidance about the meaning of "casual" is also welcome :D

Edited by Marcvs

5 hours ago, Marcvs said:

Hi all, quick question which could be summarised as: what is a "casual list" when you're playing with stormcast?

Context: due to lockdown I am now playing more and more with complete strangers (on tts), and often someone looks for a "casual game". It is always quite difficult to gauge with they actually mean by that, again not knowing the gaming culture and so on, but I take it it means at least no over-optimised / janky lists. So I leave the Kroakcast 🐸list at home and bring some "in your face" melee army of sequitors, dracothian guard and palladors with some buff pieces. So far this has proven effective, but it's not particularly fun or strategic. 

So, someone got any suggestion about "fun" lists which could fit into a "casual" game? Guidance about the meaning of "casual" is also welcome :D

My hobby group has a rough set of guidelines for playing casually.

1. No named characters. We talk out any exceptions, but as a general rule, none.

2. Don’t spam your best units. IE. Long strikes, evocators, ballistas, etc 

3. Avoid missions with instant win conditions. IE. The game ends on turn 3.

Edited by Mark Williams
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Marcvs said:

Everyone is going to have a different definition of "casual".  For example, here is my "casual" stormcast list:

Lord-Arcanum on Dracoline
Knight-Heraldor
Knight-Incantor
Lord-Ordinator

3x 5 Sequitors
6 Evocators on Dracolines
4x Ballista's
Command point

Now, you might look at that and go "Hey, that's actually rather competitive looking".  And it is.  However, when I was playing this list, casual games were people playing with their tournament lists and just futzing around for giggles.  And this army held its own against those tournament lists when people weren't going all out (also, made people respect my kitties).  However, this isn't really a list that you can take to a tournament and go 5-0.  But if your opponent pulls out some bonereapers with petrifex elite, even if they leave their harvesters at home and are playing with their stalkers or whatever, you have to have some power in your list to be able to put up any sort of threat.

But, if your opponent's idea of "casual" is running around with min sized squads of random stuff because they look cool, or is playing an underpowered army... that casual list will run them over like a freight train.

The best way to figure out someone's idea of a casual list would be to talk to them some before putting your list together, to get an idea of what they expect.  However, if you are playing with complete strangers... this gets much more difficult to do.  If you were playing in person, I would recommend bringing more models than you need for your list so you can tailor it some to meet what type of game that both you and they want.  Playing online, I'm not sure how that ends up working out.  What I would recommend instead is to just bring something that looks cool, or that you want to try out, and see how much complaining about your list you get.  Eventually you will get an idea based on their responses about what most people think casual is.

• Thanks 1

On 3/11/2020 at 11:36 PM, NauticalSoup said:

because I'd sooner tip my army into a dumpster than spend a penny on friggin' Liberators which remain one of the outright worst units in the entire game.

Jeez i painted up my 15 liberators for LVO. Let me tell you its not fun painting something knowing its probably the worse battleline in the game. 

• Like 1

Hello all! Longtime AoS player here, looking to get back into SCE. Just wanted some opinions on this list before I start buying things. The general idea is to deep strike the evocators, and use Kroak to wipe screens for the first turn or 2 while banking command points. After destroying the screens, you bring down the cats and use the Arcanum on Dracoline's command ability a bunch to give them a lot of extra attacks on the cats. Mount trait gives them plus 1 to hit, and to keep them killing after they come down the Heraldor can let a unit retreat and charge. They'll also be able to cast Empower and Celestial Blades to power themselves up too.  Thanks in advance!

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Tempest Lords

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum on Celestial Dracoline (220)
- General
- Command Trait: Bonds of Noble Duty
- Artefact: Patrician's Helm
- Spell: Thundershock
- Mount Trait: Pride Leader
Knight-Heraldor (100)
Lord Kroak (320)
- Allies

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers

Units
6 x Evocators on Dracolines (520)
- Lore of Invigoration: Celestial Blades
6 x Evocators on Dracolines (520)
- Lore of Invigoration: Celestial Blades

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 320 / 400
Wounds: 109

4 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

Alright all I need to do now is adding a shattered dominion base

Nice miniature! Simple painting but effective. Everything's cleanly done.
Gold is retributor armour with a very thin coat of REikland shade ? It retained that SHINY GOLD effect that often lack after the shading.

• Thanks 1