AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

13 minutes ago, AdamR said:

Drop the Relictor!

EDIT -  Which also free's up a CP for spamming extra attacks.

Yeah although I'd probably have to think about going non host to get staunch and ethereal amulet or ignax etc if I'm double drakeing I'll need to play about with my case and see what I can sort out for transporting 

8 hours ago, aceytrixx said:

Yeah although I'd probably have to think about going non host to get staunch and ethereal amulet or ignax etc if I'm double drakeing I'll need to play about with my case and see what I can sort out for transporting 

I really like multi-drake lists when you make the erratic rain of stars combo with other chip ranged mw... but I've also tried 6 desolators and 2 drakes and I lack experience there. It feels like there's a great deal of potential - danger to the opponent - to be uncovered.

Case wise, because of the stupid kinds of armies/lists I take, and the way GW sculpts keep evolving, I invested in that "kane" Army Case:

image.png.7c8b79b2222c25770a0637267b5f3802.png

That's two awkward armies (surplus of 2000 SC too for a bit of choice) crammed in there. That middle shelf originally held 2 drakes, 6 desolators and an LCoD before I swapped out the desolators for the prime and a bunch of other stuff. I reckon 12 dracoths and 4 drakes is probably doable. I should build my extra stardrake to test :P

Edited by Turragor
  • Haha 1

I've just found that rain of stars is so erratic is not worth relying on. It's that 4+ after rolling to see how many units then it's d3. Obviously having double the chances to use it helps. I'm currently running a magna rack 720 so it's usually plenty but with the double Stardrake that eats up alot of room. I might try proxying it to see how it goes.

54 minutes ago, aceytrixx said:

I've just found that rain of stars is so erratic is not worth relying on. It's that 4+ after rolling to see how many units then it's d3. Obviously having double the chances to use it helps. I'm currently running a magna rack 720 so it's usually plenty but with the double Stardrake that eats up alot of room. I might try proxying it to see how it goes.

It can be a real downer if it doesnt work but I've found it is always a threat and by and large makes an impact - and thats just one of their abilities. I've built a list around 2 now and I'm satisfied. Tweaking it before the early 2020 tournaments now.

Right now I'm having fun with the starcast list. Its my own best way of playing Stormcast. Won't fit everyone or possibly anyone else but myself :P

Note - I'm the sort of person that would play 4 Drakesworn Templars at a big tournament - just to see if it at all pans out lol

FYI this is the list I'll be trying at first tourney 2020 (artefacts, command traits, spells etc subject to change):

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
Mortal Realm: Shyish
Celestant-Prime (340)
Lord-Celestant on Stardrake (500)
- General
- Celestine Hammer
- Trait: Staunch Defender
Drakesworn Templar (420)
- Tempest Axe
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet
- Mount Trait: Storm-winged
Lord-Castellant (120)
Lord-Exorcist (120)
- Spell: Lightning Blast
Knight-Heraldor (100)
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
Everblaze Comet (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 86
Edited by Turragor

9 hours ago, aceytrixx said:

So taking my Narrative Celestial Vindicators list to an event this weekend 

- Stormhost: Celestial Vindicators

Leaders
Zeraphis Valourstorm, Fury of the Realm Celestial (220)
Lord-Celestant on Dracoth
- General
- Tempestos Hammer & Thundershield
- Trait: Single-minded Fury
- Artefact: Stormrage Blade
- Mount Trait: Thunder Caller
Tarnos Brightstar, Champion of Azyrheim (460)
Drakesworn Templar
- Tempest Axe
Balthestor Ravenbound, Paragon of the Faith (120)
Lord-Castellant
Morros Sternsight , Martyr of Purity (100)
Lord-Relictor
- Prayer: Bless Weapons

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warblade & Shield
- 1x Grandblades
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warblade & Shield
- 1x Grandblades
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warblade & Shield
- 1x Grandblades

Units
8 x Desolators (800)

Total: 1960 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 104

Not expecting much but rule of cool counts for alot as far as I'm concerned

Looking at the original, I love this too. If I'm thinking narrative I might swap the relictor for a heraldor - as I like the idea of trumpets in narrative lists. Stormcast need musicians too!

I just love the Relictor model so I wanted to use him but yeah a trumpet does fit in with the cavalry theme even if you can't use it much or you can't shoot with the desolators.

Looking at your list and it's definitely something to try. I had fun with the mortal wound and spell output of Grand Convocation but it just wasnt enough really. That's a better way to achieve the result. Stardrake and Tauralon did look good together though!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, schwabbele said:

Oh yeah Kane ftw, awesome case , best KS money I ever spent 😀

oof, this one? https://shop.army-case.com/miniature-carrying-case/a-case-hybrid-the-kane/

I know I need some extra/new padding because my SCE are way too big for something that was supposed to fit Guard-sized minis... but these are too expensive :(

I hate to say this but honestly; an Evo Gav-bomb might be a respectable approach to OBR. Their army is tough as nails, but without their MG bricks, they won't hold objectives very well. I'd imagine you'd definitely want swords vs them though, without that rend, a unit of Evos with staves would likely bounce right off a 20 or 30 brick of MG. Especially in Petrifex (which they... all... are? No idea but it's likely) Maybe drop a Heraldor in there as well, in case you need to peel off to try and gank a hero or Harvester as well. I know most people drop a Vexillor in with their Gav-bombs, so that's also on the table.

I'm sure Longstrikes are the straightforward, safe choice to try deal with OBR saves, but I also suspect that Ballistas could put in some serious work too, especially since (I think) the math suggests that an Ordinator with 4 Ballistas can wipe at least one squad of Cavalos Deathriders each phase. Counting as single model also makes the Ballistas a little lest vulnerable to retaliation from the Crawler return-fire. The bonus cover save doesn't hurt either.

Who knows though. I've never played against OBR, just theorized what I'd consider taking if/when I do. That being said, I don't own any Long-strikes, as I honestly like the potential ( admittedly hugely susceptible to variance) upside of Ballistas.

• Like 1

I forgot to mention the other reason I suggested a Gav-Bomb. If I'm not mistaken, it gets around the debuff shenanigans OBR has with their spells, heroes and terrain piece. They have to cover all angles, and I've yet to see an OBR army that can screen every direction, once they move on objectives.

26 minutes ago, Sleepa said:

I forgot to mention the other reason I suggested a Gav-Bomb. If I'm not mistaken, it gets around the debuff shenanigans OBR has with their spells, heroes and terrain piece. They have to cover all angles, and I've yet to see an OBR army that can screen every direction, once they move on objectives.

I run Gav bomb and faced them a couple weeks ago. It didn’t work very well. I just sorta bounced off of them everywhere I hit them. The evocators did alright but not great. I’m going to a tournament this weekend and there’s more OBR armies there so I’ll have some battle reports up early next week to talk about gav bombing in the current meta.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Mark Williams said:

I run Gav bomb and faced them a couple weeks ago. It didn’t work very well. I just sorta bounced off of them everywhere I hit them. The evocators did alright but not great. I’m going to a tournament this weekend and there’s more OBR armies there so I’ll have some battle reports up early next week to talk about gav bombing in the current meta.

Look forward to your review, what list are you taking?

4 minutes ago, Kelsicle said:

Look forward to your review, what list are you taking?

- Stormhost: Hammers of Sigmar
Mortal Realm: Chamon

Leaders
Lord-Castellant (120)
- General
- Trait: We Cannot Fail  
- Artefact: God-forged Blade  
Gavriel Sureheart (120)
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Lightning Blast
Gotrek Gurnisson (520)
- Allies

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Judicators (160)
- Boltstorm Crossbows
- 1x Thunderbolt Crossbows

Units
3 x Aetherwings (50)
3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows (140)
10 x Evocators (440)
- 10x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Speed of Lightning

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Dais Arcanum (30)
Quicksilver Swords (30)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 520 / 400
Wounds: 96

5 hours ago, Mark Williams said:

Units
3 x Aetherwings (50)
3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows (140)
10 x Evocators (440)
- 10x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Speed of Lightning

Yeah, my concern with the Gav bomb is that most people have their Evos built with grandstaves, which are normally the statistically higher performer; HOWEVER, rerollable 3+ saves really push the math back in favor of Swords.

31 minutes ago, Sleepa said:

Yeah, my concern with the Gav bomb is that most people have their Evos built with grandstaves, which are normally the statistically higher performer; HOWEVER, rerollable 3+ saves really push the math back in favor of Swords.

I’ve learned the hard way that designing my army to face one opponent at the expense of others is a sure way to do really poorly in a tournament setting and never face the ones you built it for.

The grandstaves work out better on average because most armies I face they are the better option.

Also, I figured out a long time ago that winning a tournament with my stormcast army is a pipe dream. They’ve got serious issues and changing a few weapons around isn’t going to fix it.

My goal is 3/5 wins. It’s a hard but achievable and realistic goal.

To effectively remove a unit of Ossiarch Bonereapers you need rend -2 or lots of MW. If i'm not mistaken, we have only Ballistae and Raptors with rend 2. Taking into account that OBR depend on their heroes a lot, MW bombing seems good. Someone spoke about Starcast these days... seriously though a Drake and comet might go a long way, maybe even with a Gav bomb?

If facing OBR do not target Mortek guard as long as a nearby harvester is alive if at all possible. Try to kill harvesters and any nearby heroes.

Mortek guard can only use a point to reroll saves in the combat phase, so shooting with rend is effective.

Aetherwings will come in handy, as OBR has no tricks to teleport and will most likely not being morghasts, so no flying on their part either, so cheap screening will work a charm.

Use evocators to take out heroes/harvesters/stalkers, don't throw them into a huge blob of mortek guard, ideally you just want to tie them up with annoying things. Aetherwings, the odd gryph hound etc can all zone out a blob of guards in their tracks.

Place key support characters in cover if possible and OBR is bringing catapults, they have no rend so a 2+ SC hero will most likely just make them waste their 200 pts model (a lucky shot still hurts though, but thats dice).

Stormcast got some good tools all in all to deal with OBR, so it will not be impossible and while tough it is not the worst matchup SCE has.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Lucur said:

seriously though a Drake and comet might go a long way, maybe even with a Gav bomb?

It will, and totally mess with your enemy’s deployment  if he knows the combo, but with gav bomb you loose ignax, which is something- at least in an tourney- i wouldn’t wanna miss with the drake.  Staunch is kinda nice too. Especially for healing the drake. 
But instead of gav, cogs + rr charge from vexilor could work too for evo bombing. 

the prime has rend 3, will surely be an epic suicide move when he faces a blob of 20 mortrek guard 😂

• Like 1

Against OBR I'm thinking this:

LCoSD (stormwinged)
Drakesworn Templar
Knight-Incantor

Liberators 3x5
9x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows

Everblaze Comet

1970/2000

Trying to maximize MW output on turn 1. Deepstrike the longstrikes behind to hit heros. Setup the incantor between the 2 drakes for maximum casting ability. Then hopefully get them in range to combined give -3 to casting (each drake and everblaze)

Or would it just be better to run Ordinator and 3 ballista to deepstrike and go for heros? Both options have rend 2, but the longstrikes can deal a good amount of mortal wounds, whereas ballistas just overwhelm with hits. (Ballista option also leaves points for a balewind vortex and up to 30 points of endless spells)

Edited by SleeperAgent

4 minutes ago, SleeperAgent said:

Against OBR I'm thinking this:

LCoSD (stormwinged)
Drakesworn Templar (stormwinged)
Knight-Incantor

Liberators 3x5
9x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows

Everblaze Comet

1970/2000

Trying to maximize MW output on turn 1. Deepstrike the longstrikes behind to hit heros. Setup the incantor between the 2 drakes for maximum casting ability. Then hopefully get them in range to combined give -3 to casting (each drake and everblaze)

Or would it just be better to run Ordinator and 3 ballista to deepstrike and go for heros? Both options have rend 2, but the longstrikes can deal a good amount of mortal wounds, whereas ballistas just overwhelm with hits. (Ballista option also leaves points for a balewind vortex and up to 30 points of endless spells)

You only get 1 mount trait without a battalion. 

13 hours ago, jhamslam said:

Alright so at LVO this year there are 18 OBR players atleast, and only 5 registered SCE players

I know im one of the SCE players, whos the other 4? Anyone in here? 

Also @PJetski , any experience against OBR? 

at the 50-men tournament here in France it's 7 OBR at the moment

do tournament OBR lists normally include Katakros? Is it worth it to focus him in case?