AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

It's not really regular saves that are the problem IMHO, although I'd readily agree that Paladins should be 3+. It's MW protection that's the issue. Perhaps Staunch should be changed to a 9" 5+ save after save instead of +1 armour save. Would need to change the Hammers of Sigmar trait then though...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AdamR said:

It's not really regular saves that are the problem IMHO, although I'd readily agree that Paladins should be 3+. It's MW protection that's the issue. Perhaps Staunch should be changed to a 9" 5+ save after save instead of +1 armour save. Would need to change the Hammers of Sigmar trait then though...

If the army got switched to a 3+ save, then they should just change the Lord Castellant to give the warding lantern MW save instead. 5+ to ignore mW

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jhamslam said:

If the army got switched to a 3+ save, then they should just change the Lord Castellant to give the warding lantern MW save instead. 5+ to ignore mW

This would to fit really well in to SCE lore and goes a long way to making them much more resilient without being overpowered. 

I feel that (without getting into more specific minor issues), one of the biggest tabletop vs lore disparities for SCE is how easily they die.

Second is how relatively weak they are as “hammers” (doubly ironic considering the hammer is their primary icon). This could be changed by either boosting some hit/wound values, or adding a bit more damage output to certain units, at least in melee.

Hammers trait could grant a 6++ or +1 to save after save if granted by another source, then the Castellant’s lantern could be a 6++ or even 5++. 

Edited to add: Castellant save in Hammers would be either 5++ or 4++ depending on which it got to start. 4++ might be a bit OP though especially if SCE get army-wide 3+ armor save. 

Edited by Vakarian
Clarification

hi everyone! In Spring I will go to my first tournament, to get some experience and get to play 5 games. Although I am fully expecting a 0-5 and am pretty relaxed about that, I still want to try to get there with a list as decent as possible -threshold: feeling I have a chance as r1 starts in games 4 and 5.

Before the FAQ I planned on going with a slight variation on a pretty standard shootcast list, which I have been learning to play recently. Shoould I reconsider? Anyone has positive/negative experiences to share when it comes to playing the longstrike with 24" range in the hero phase? Any alternatives worth considering? (no Stardrake-heavy, I own one drake and cannot afford another one before the tournament :D )

thanks!

1 minute ago, Marcvs said:

hi everyone! In Spring I will go to my first tournament, to get some experience and get to play 5 games. Although I am fully expecting a 0-5 and am pretty relaxed about that, I still want to try to get there with a list as decent as possible -threshold: feeling I have a chance as r1 starts in games 4 and 5.

Before the FAQ I planned on going with a slight variation on a pretty standard shootcast list, which I have been learning to play recently. Shoould I reconsider? Anyone has positive/negative experiences to share when it comes to playing the longstrike with 24" range in the hero phase? Any alternatives worth considering? (no Stardrake-heavy, I own one drake and cannot afford another one before the tournament :D )

thanks!

Do you own a celestant prime ? If you do , Prime+ Stardrake+castellant and why not 4 balistas + LO ? 3*5 libs.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Maturin said:

Do you own a celestant prime ? If you do , Prime+ Stardrake+castellant and why not 4 balistas + LO ? 3*5 libs.

I do. So, something like this? (can't really fit the 4th ballista if I include some protection against magic)

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Mortal Realm: Aqshy
LEADERS
Celestant-Prime (340)
Lord-Celestant on Stardrake (500)

- General
- Command Trait : Staunch Defender
- Celestine Hammer
- Artefact : Ignax's Scales
- Mount Trait : Storm-winged

Lord-Ordinator (140)
Lord-Castellant (120)
Knight-Incantor (140)

- Spell : Azyrite Halo
Spellweaver (100)
- Heartwood Staff
- Allies

UNITS
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1 x Grandhammers

5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1 x Grandhammers

5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1 x Grandhammers

WAR MACHINES
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)

ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS
Quicksilver Swords (30)
TOTAL: 2000/2000

You could drop the allied spellweaver + Quicksilver swords and take a 4th balista. Incantor takes Azyrite halo, which you can cast on the prime for more survivability once you dropped him (I always do turn 1 for MW output), or on the drake if he's against hard hitting foes.
Should be a fun and "potent" list.

Edited by Maturin

4 minutes ago, Maturin said:

T1 : Stardrake shooting stars + Prime's scepter + 4 Balistas shooting at heroes. Normally, enemy casters are dead.

I feel naked without two dispel scrolls :D but I see what you mean. In fact I am more concerned by the lack of mobility + lack of bodies which would make it difficult to play for the objectives against large units (unless they're in 18" of the balliastas ofc). Anyway, I know that the army cannot really cover everything atm, so I'll think about this alternative! Many thanks for your suggestions :)

5 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

I feel naked without two dispel scrolls :D but I see what you mean. In fact I am more concerned by the lack of mobility + lack of bodies which would make it difficult to play for the objectives against large units (unless they're in 18" of the balliastas ofc). Anyway, I know that the army cannot really cover everything atm, so I'll think about this alternative! Many thanks for your suggestions :)

You're welcome. Remember that the drake can eat models, and if you do so after an enemy's activation, then he can't move to regain unit coherence, bybye half of what's left after all your attacks. <
remember also that balistas can move!!!

2 minutes ago, SleeperAgent said:

What about dropping Spellweaver for the Everblaze Comet? More MW output turn 1 and messes with their caster further on top of the Stardrake.

The LO is a heavy tax when you only take 3 balistas, but a comet is potent, especially with Stardrake+ Prime.

So taking my Narrative Celestial Vindicators list to an event this weekend 

- Stormhost: Celestial Vindicators

Leaders
Zeraphis Valourstorm, Fury of the Realm Celestial (220)
Lord-Celestant on Dracoth
- General
- Tempestos Hammer & Thundershield
- Trait: Single-minded Fury
- Artefact: Stormrage Blade
- Mount Trait: Thunder Caller
Tarnos Brightstar, Champion of Azyrheim (460)
Drakesworn Templar
- Tempest Axe
Balthestor Ravenbound, Paragon of the Faith (120)
Lord-Castellant
Morros Sternsight , Martyr of Purity (100)
Lord-Relictor
- Prayer: Bless Weapons

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warblade & Shield
- 1x Grandblades
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warblade & Shield
- 1x Grandblades
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warblade & Shield
- 1x Grandblades

Units
8 x Desolators (800)

Total: 1960 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 104

Not expecting much but rule of cool counts for alot as far as I'm concerned

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, aceytrixx said:

Leaders
- General
Drakesworn Templar
- Tempest Axe
Lord-Castellant
Lord-Relictor

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warblade & Shield
- 1x Grandblades
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warblade & Shield
- 1x Grandblades
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warblade & Shield
- 1x Grandblades

Units
8 x Desolators (800)

Drop the LCoD, take a wizard, play LCoSD or put ethereal amulet on the drake templar and that's a good list!

9 minutes ago, Maturin said:

The LO is a heavy tax when you only take 3 balistas, but a comet is potent, especially with Stardrake+ Prime.

I think I would go for the 4th ballista. Cointoss comet (+unbind) is not great, considering that at least 2-3 rounds I will be casting azyrite halo on the drake

4 minutes ago, Maturin said:

Drop the LCoD, take a wizard, play LCoSD or put ethereal amulet on the drake templar and that's a good list!

Yeah I have a grand convocation painted so plenty to access to wizards but I have a narrative event next month and wanted to take a LCoD to that to lead my force so fancied trying him out this weekend since he can still smash up people. For desolators I love the Drakesworn to get the +1 to hit. It could absolutely be better but sometimes you just gotta get the narrative in there. It's still going to get stomped by Tzeentch or OBR regardless really.

1 minute ago, aceytrixx said:

Yeah I have a grand convocation painted so plenty to access to wizards but I have a narrative event next month and wanted to take a LCoD to that to lead my force so fancied trying him out this weekend since he can still smash up people. For desolators I love the Drakesworn to get the +1 to hit. It could absolutely be better but sometimes you just gotta get the narrative in there. It's still going to get stomped by Tzeentch or OBR regardless really.

keeping changes to a minimum, replacing the relictor with a veritant for 20pts would give you at least an unbind roll (you lose the possibility of healing though)

1 minute ago, Marcvs said:

keeping changes to a minimum, replacing the relictor with a veritant for 20pts would give you at least an unbind roll (you lose the possibility of healing though)

I'm not sure how much value one unbind with no bonus really is. Especially when as the list is now I should have a triumph fairly regularly. Don't get me wrong there's plenty ways to make this more competitive and for the next competitive event in march I might make some changes but I'll be more focused on my display board for that. 

5 minutes ago, aceytrixx said:

Gotcha. Playing Celestial, your templar will be fragile without the ethereal amulet!

23 minutes ago, aceytrixx said:

Leaders
- General
Drakesworn Templar
- Tempest Axe
Lord-Castellant
Lord-Relictor

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warblade & Shield
- 1x Grandblades
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warblade & Shield
- 1x Grandblades
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warblade & Shield
- 1x Grandblades

Units
8 x Desolators (800)

Drakesworn Templars are only 420 now - you're gibbing yourself 40 points!

EDIT - which means you could drop 2 Desolators and swap your Celestant on Dracoth for a Celestant on Stardrake!
If you were that way inclined ;)

Edited by AdamR

11 minutes ago, Maturin said:

Gotcha. Playing Celestial, your templar will be fragile without the ethereal amulet!

He will be but I'm hoping to keep him back and just rain of stars and shoot with his bow. Or to take out small objective holding units. With the axe they can't pile in that far either.

8 minutes ago, AdamR said:

Drakesworn Templars are only 420 now - you're gibbing yourself 40 points!

EDIT - which means you could drop 2 Desolators and swap your Celestant on Dracoth for a Celestant on Stardrake!
If you were that way inclined ;)

Haha I didn't realise warscroll builder didn't update old lists with new points. 

That....that could be tempting. But do I really want to paint and transport a 2nd drake. My army fits in my case perfect right now.

24 minutes ago, Maturin said:

You DO. Believe me. Believe @Turragor as well!

So that doesn't work. Turns out although warscroll builder hadn't updated the unit pts it had updated the total 

So can do double drakesworn or drop the relictor and go celestant/drakesworn 

Edited by aceytrixx
Update