AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

1 hour ago, Sagittarii Orientalis said:

After spending last four years playing both 40K and AoS, I simply gave up hopes of GW freeing itself from the vicious cycle of power creep. I instead focus on painting models while having hiatus. Maybe I will start playing again when the new battletome is released.

This. I also focus more on the hobby aspects for now. Will try my first narrative battle this week :)

My time is too precious to be wasted on ret***** rule writers. I alos only buy after market at the moment. GW needs to earn my money again. 

Edited by schwabbele

On 11/16/2019 at 11:43 PM, Turragor said:

Test - 1 whole entire practice game (against a good player with that Skaventide 9 stormfiend,  40 plague monks & bell list)

Result - Major win

How did you do that? :o In my local community skaventide list with 9 stormfiends with windlaunchers is the hardest army to beat. Windlaunchers should take down LCoS with ease.

Did you use Celestant Prime as artillery or for deepstrike?

5 hours ago, Nozdormu said:

How did you do that? :o In my local community skaventide list with 9 stormfiends with windlaunchers is the hardest army to beat. Windlaunchers should take down LCoS with ease.

Did you use Celestant Prime as artillery or for deepstrike?

R1 artillery piece. Without the buffing suppprt char the stormfiends felt manageable. That char was gone r1. Otherwise it would have been v tough 

Windlaunchers are 4s and 4s which helps and I only faced a double turn R3 iirc. By then the opponent wasn't sure what to focus and had only the stormfiends left really. 

• Like 3

What I DON'T think this list can handle at all however (which I'll see), are Ossiarch lists with lots of Mortek guard. Basically because of battleshock immunity. Damaging them is easier for my list than maybe others (nom nom dragons), but most of the big horde units I'd take out would be due to battleshock.

Then again, that applies to quite a few things. Not just my list. Mortek with 3+ rr failed saves that are battleshock immune will be tough.

Hey guys,

I'm supposed to do a rematch against an Ironjaw player pretty soon. Last time we played, it was before the Orruk warclan came out and I won the game.
But since Orruk got a massive overhaul, I'm not sure that my previous list would as effective.

He will outdeploy me because his battalions are great, i'm pretty sure he'll bring his beefed up Maw Crusha. So now i'm torn between bringing a list a bit like @Turragor 's but with a Sword of judgment wielding Drake Templar instead of etheral amulets to be able to  deal with his Mawcrusha.
What do you guys think ?

Edited by Maturin

16 minutes ago, Maturin said:

Hey guys,

I'm supposed to do a rematch against an Ironjaw player pretty soon. Last time we played, it was before the Orruk warclan came out and I won the game.
But since Orruk got a massive overhaul, I'm not sure that my previous list would as effective.

He will outdeploy me because his battalions are great, i'm pretty sure he'll bring his beefed up Maw Crusha. So now i'm torn between bringing a list a bit like @Turragor 's but with a Sword of judgment wielding Drake Templar instead of etheral amulets to be able to  deal with his Mawcrusha.
What do you guys think ?

I played them twice, what I learned:

IJ can move / charge or fight in hero phase , if he plays iron sunz you get a -1 to hit in 1st battleround. They also can counter charge on the end of your charge phase.

Gore Gruntas are super scary,  hit/wound on 2+ on the charge combined with impact mortal wounds , rend 1 and 2 dmg with 2" reach ( screen correct ). So be aware of them. This also means if there are a lot of objectives he will usually control the pace of the game due to this mobility.

The Cabbage is kinda a coin flip ,  if he catches a unit he usually kills it, so try to avoid that.

I would try a LCoSD hyperbuffed with Staunch defender and Castellant , and the Mortal wound reflection artifact :) If he is dump enough and go atfter your drake, which will be immune to rend1 more or less, he will probably kill himself pretty fast. Or try to crash the drake in a few units of ard boyz. Kinda a big distraction unit and somehow grab objectives while he is dealing with the drake.

Kill the warchanter(s) somehow , the +1 damage buff is just nasty.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Maturin said:

Hey guys,

What do you guys think ?

SoJ would be kinda neat.

Another idea I toyed with was related to the Prime and the different stormhost rules. (NB I haven't chased this rules interpretation up yet - perhaps folks could chime in).

The CAs and bonuses for the hosts impact the host keyword. That keyword isn't reliant on whether a unit is named or not but whether a scroll has already got a stormhost keyword or not.

The Prime - as far as I can tell - takes the keyword of the host you choose (if you choose one) like any other SC keyword unit in your SC allegiance army. He's like Sigmars finest, above the hosts - fluff wise. He also is a hero so can trigger all the CAs (on himself). So I had an idea of taking my list but Anvils or Celestial Vindicators or Astral Templars.  Even Hammers for the ward save (and maybe a sneaky Vandus for an extra attack).

I abandoned it because for a big tourney, with a gimicky list, its another layer of gimick on top, and the prime isn't a fantastic recipient of all the CAs, traits and abilities.

However I think it is something I might explore further. Especially if its still possible when SC get a rework tweak and (if) the prime is made a little more attractive.

• Thanks 1

I recall reading a while back that some of the "fight first" abilities will make it so that the Sequitors never get a chance to charge their shields in combat, but I'm reading over their rules, and I can't see a situation where they wouldn't get to use their shields, as the announcement of them using their shields has nothing to do with the order that they do combat in.

The only situation I can see where this would come up is if someone fights outside of the combat phase entirely, such as during a hero phase. Am I wrong?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Williams said:

I recall reading a while back that some of the "fight first" abilities will make it so that the Sequitors never get a chance to charge their shields in combat, but I'm reading over their rules, and I can't see a situation where they wouldn't get to use their shields, as the announcement of them using their shields has nothing to do with the order that they do combat in.

The only situation I can see where this would come up is if someone fights outside of the combat phase entirely, such as during a hero phase. Am I wrong?

im no authority on this but a TO in a tournament i went to mentioned the triggered exception rule, meaning you both announce your start of combat trigger and it just happens for the entire combat phase. So unless its a fight action , in which case active player gets priority, youh should still get your shields

1 hour ago, Mark Williams said:

As I understand it the order of start of phase actions us determined by who's turn it is. So if it's your turn you'd charge shields before getting hermdar to the face, but if it's your opponent's turn they'll be going before you get chance to charge up.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, AdamR said:

As I understand it the order of start of phase actions us determined by who's turn it is. So if it's your turn you'd charge shields before getting hermdar to the face, but if it's your opponent's turn they'll be going before you get chance to charge up.

Hmm okay I’ll have a read through hermdarr rules tonight, thank you.

Pretty much what AdamR said, it was in the designers commentary i think, where they clarified the order of such abilities. The player who's turn it is gets to choose, whose "at the start of phase" effects are resolved first, then all that player's effects get resolved. If your opponent fights "at the start of the combat phase" they get to hit before you can channel Sequitor shields if it's their turn (or you decided,  in your own turn, to let them go first.)

On 11/20/2019 at 8:28 PM, Turragor said:

The CAs and bonuses for the hosts impact the host keyword. That keyword isn't reliant on whether a unit is named or not but whether a scroll has already got a stormhost keyword or not.

The Prime - as far as I can tell - takes the keyword of the host you choose (if you choose one) like any other SC keyword unit in your SC allegiance army. He's like Sigmars finest, above the hosts - fluff wise. He also is a hero so can trigger all the CAs (on himself). So I had an idea of taking my list but Anvils or Celestial Vindicators or Astral Templars.  Even Hammers for the ward save (and maybe a sneaky Vandus for an extra attack).

I think that if you want to give an edge to the Celestant Prime, who can't own artifacts, then Knights excelsior, Celestial Vindicators and Astral templars are great. Anvils ? Well he's not likely to survive a fight unless you put him in terrain and give him a castellant's light (which could be fun).

New Tournament new list:

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Mortal Realm: Ghyran
- Stormhost: Celestial Warbringers
LEADERS
Lord-Arcanum (160)
- General
- Command Trait : Portents and Omens
- Artefact : Hammers of Aurgury
- Spell : Azyrite Halo
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell : Celestial Blades
Knight-Heraldor (100)
UNITS
20 x Sequitors (440)
- Tempest Blades and Soulshields
- 9 x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Evocators (220)
- 10 x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration : Speed of Lightning
10 x Liberators (200)
- Warblade & Shield
- 2 x Grandblades
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warblade & Shield
- 2 x Grandblades
6 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (340)
3 x Prosecutors with Stormcall Javelins (90)
- 1 x Stormsurge Tridents
ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS
Everblaze Comet (100)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (60)
Extra Command Point (50)
TOTAL: 2000/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1 WOUNDS: 119
LEADERS: 3/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 0/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4
ARTEFACTS: 1/1 ALLIES: 0/400

9 minutes ago, Styr said:

Quick question : GavBoomb are still playable ? Can someone help me with list and how use it ? 

It is more or less. I have hard times against Skaven and Slanesh but you can do something:

My last tournment list was this one:

Warpstone win 2 - lose 1
SCE Phoenicium
Hammers
Grifon 220
Vexilor 120
Gavriel 120
Frost Phoenix 320

Evo 440
Prosecutors 90
Liberators 100
Liberators 100

Sequitors 440

Cp 50

Total 2000

Match ups were Skaven (lost - 10 -8 points, last turn verminlord 20" to burn my remote objective; won SCE mirror match against gavriel bomb; Legion of Grief hard magic list)

At the moment I'm the best italian stormcast player. Anyway i suggest you to avoid gavriel/hammers and go for others stormhost (vindicators/tempest lords/anvils), which are less CP intensive.

Edited by Raffonerd

39 minutes ago, Raffonerd said:

5 x Evocators (220)
- 10 x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration : Speed of Lightning

That's a lot of Staves! ;)
Why the 10 Liberators? If you downsized to 5 and dropped the prosecutors that would allow for 9 Longstrikes instead.
No Castellant? With the amount of rend about currently, I find that 4+rerollable doesn't cut it. Although that may just be me being unable to roll higher than a 1.

9 minutes ago, AdamR said:

That's a lot of Staves! ;)
Why the 10 Liberators? If you downsized to 5 and dropped the prosecutors that would allow for 9 Longstrikes instead.
No Castellant? With the amount of rend about currently, I find that 4+rerollable doesn't cut it. Although that may just be me being unable to roll higher than a 1.

I need only 6 to kill a spare of heroes here and there. 

Castellant was an idea. But I'd like to test if i can kill enoght stuff with only raptor/comet. Maybe swithcing Prosecutors and Geminds for Dais and Castellant can be good also. I'm not totally sure about the stormhost too, maybe Tempest lords can be better. But I like the 6 raptor first turn re-deploy. This grants me to cover them (setting them in air if he starts) while keeping opponent heroes far away by deploying them very ahead.

Edited by Raffonerd

The list (above) is what I'm taking to Krigsluntan tomorrow / Sunday. I don't predict better than 3 wins - which is optimistic!

The event is being covered by the Honestwargamer and there are a fair few SC lists being taken. Anvilstrike is quite dominant. You can see a stats breakdown  here.

The lists are here.

You should be able to follow on TTT here.

Biggest event I have been to so it's exciting :)

I predict good results for Bonereapers, Cities, Ironjawz & Daughters of Khaine. There is definitely hope for an Anvilstrike podium. Strong hope I'd say. But that is based on the local players rather than the strength of each of those factions.

You never know on the day!

PS. I did a silly write up of my list here.

Edited by Turragor
  • Like 3