AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

5 hours ago, Maturin said:

Cheers mate. Btw, how do you prepare/deploy for when you face a SCE Deepstriking balistas ? I have to face such an opponent soon, and I feel Fulminators would be better agaisnt him.

Fulminators are spectacular against shooting, but I strongly prefer Desolators for sustained combat. You want to grind your opponent down in melee with your 2+rr1 save (or 1+ with Staunch Defender) and use avoid mass mortal wounds with dispel scrolls and good positioning.

The best way to deal with ballista drop lists is to get hit debuffs on your key units, or try to deploy in such a way that his ballistae cant get within 18" of any key units when they deep strike (deploy 9" from your front line and he cant reach you with his rapid fire)

Edited by PJetski

23 minutes ago, Lucur said:

Desolators get exponentially better with larger units, as they get more attacks. Concussors would probably be better in units of 2 or 4. If you take a larger unit the Desolators get even better while being noticeably cheaper. Pointswise :P

Well yes, but it's not that hard to slap Desolators with 5 MWs and every model left drops 1 attack.

So on average 5 Desolators will hit  with 10 attacks against the same amount from Concussors, but the later will also deal a couple of MWs, stun enemy unit so they will retaliate with less models and benefit more from rerolls to hit. So it's an important question - is that worth 120 points or not?

Funnily enough, Concussors deal more damage per points invested from sv4+ and better, even for units of 6. The difference is marginal though, and you get more wounds on Desolators, also a 2" reach. Once you drop to 5 or less models though, Concussors take over. (Assuming they all get to attack, ignoring mounts, which will further marginalize the difference, also primes which would benefit concussors slightly).

On 9/21/2019 at 6:02 PM, Maturin said:

@PJetski So like, aetherwings on the deploiment line, and key units 9,1 inch away from them, aetherwings trying to create a bubble around those key units, right ?

Yes, essentially. The ballista can't drop within their useful firing range if you put key units >9" from your front line.

Re: Desolators vs Concussors

I have had much more success running Desolators than Concussors. It seems like you just have too few other units when you run a big unit of the latter, while the former is priced competitively enough that you can still bring enough units to back them up. The price of "upgrading" Desolators to Concussors is significant - 120 points is worth a lot more in a Stormcast list than in a lot of other armies. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, PJetski said:

Re: Desolators vs Concussors

I have had much more success running Desolators than Concussors. It seems like you just have too few other units when you run a big unit of the latter, while the former is priced competitively enough that you can still bring enough units to back them up. The price of "upgrading" Desolators to Concussors is significant - 120 points is worth a lot more in a Stormcast list than in a lot of other armies. 

Got it, thanks

Isn't the question rather whether 4 Concussors can do the job of 6 Desolators? That would in turn save 120 pts on top. The no-pile-in rule could help a deal with hordes.

Just when i hit the button i realized i utterly neglected the Dracoth's shooting and attacks. I will have to mathhammer some more :D

Edited by Lucur

1 hour ago, PJetski said:

Yes, essentially. The ballista can't drop within their useful firing range if you put key units >9" from your front line.

Thanks. Any tip concerning charges ? Let's say I put the 6 man desolators behind an aetherwing screen, I'd need a 9" charge to get the balistas. Should I take an heraldor to be sure to get there ? What about the desolators shooting attack, woudl it be worth taking a hurricanum and Anvil, just for them ?

I'm thinking about playing that list, do you guys think that's potent enough?

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals - Stormhost: Celestial Vindicators

LEADERS
Lord-Castellant (120)
Knight-Heraldor (100)
Lord-Celestant on Stardrake (560)
- General - Command Trait : Single-minded Fury
- Celestine Hammer - Artefact : Stormrage Blade
- Mount Trait : Storm-winged

UNITS
4 x Desolators (400)
5 x Liberators (100)
5 x Liberators (100)
3 x Aetherwings (50)
3 x Aetherwings (50)

22 hours ago, Maturin said:

I'm thinking about playing that list, do you guys think that's potent enough?

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals - Stormhost: Celestial Vindicators

LEADERS
Lord-Castellant (120)
Knight-Heraldor (100)
Lord-Celestant on Stardrake (560)
- General - Command Trait : Single-minded Fury
- Celestine Hammer - Artefact : Stormrage Blade
- Mount Trait : Storm-winged

UNITS
4 x Desolators (400)
5 x Liberators (100)
5 x Liberators (100)
3 x Aetherwings (50)
3 x Aetherwings (50)

You need 3 battleline for 1500pt games.

Aetherwings aren't worth using if you don't have the Raptors to move them in the enemy charge phase. 

I don't think the LCOS is carrying his weight here. They don't do enough damage to justify their point cost and they die too easily for a 560pt model. You also have no wizards to benefit from the fantastic +1 to casting buff.

Heraldor is actually not optimal for Dracoths since you want to use their breath attack every single turn. If you want a cavalry unit that can run & charge you should use Dracolines instead of Dracoths. Dracolines are very effective with the Celestial Vindicators stormhost!

27 minutes ago, PJetski said:

You need 3 battleline for 1500pt games.

Aetherwings aren't worth using if you don't have the Raptors to move them in the enemy charge phase. 

I don't think the LCOS is carrying his weight here. They don't do enough damage to justify their point cost and they die too easily for a 560pt model. You also have no wizards to benefit from the fantastic +1 to casting buff.

Heraldor is actually not optimal for Dracoths since you want to use their breath attack every single turn. If you want a cavalry unit that can run & charge you should use Dracolines instead of Dracoths. Dracolines are very effective with the Celestial Vindicators stormhost!

Thanks for your reply @PJetski. Where I'm playing we play around 1250/1500, we start from 1000 on Warscroll builder then add the remaining point limit. Thus I can play with just two battlelines. I think I'll play my "just bought painted and second hand" Celestant prime instead of the LCoSD. I'll play the heavy artillery Prime, using him for his comet ability. I'm not set on what Stormhost using yet.

13 minutes ago, XReN said:

It might be 2 where this person is playing

Indeedee ;)

Although I have to add, Aetherwings lose when they're not played with raptors, but their 12inch move won me several games!
By the way, tomorrow I'll play the Scorched earth scenario, any last minute advice guys ? :)
My opponent will certainly field 3x5man sequitors, 1 5 man Evo+ 1x5paladins, LO+2balistas a base line.

Edited by Maturin

On 9/20/2019 at 9:08 PM, kore5022 said:

Has anyone had any luck running gotrek with stormcast or is the model count simply too low?

I got one ill be running at an event in two weeks, that I'm quite excited for haha.

Anvils:

Incantor - Lighting Blast - General
Relictor - Translocation

3x5 Libs

Gotrek
1x3 Rapid Fire Raptors
1x9 Long Shot Raptors
4x3 Birds

Dias Arcanum
Extra Command Point.

3 minutes ago, GlanceOnASix said:

I got one ill be running at an event in two weeks, that I'm quite excited for haha.

Anvils:

Incantor - Lighting Blast - General
Relictor - Translocation

3x5 Libs

Gotrek
1x3 Rapid Fire Raptors
1x9 Long Shot Raptors
4x3 Birds

Dias Arcanum
Extra Command Point.

How do you plan on throwing Gotrek forward ? He's as slow as protectors

Edited by Maturin

1 hour ago, Maturin said:

How do you plan on throwing Gotrek forward ? He's as slow as protectors

It's a finess list. With that many raptors and birds, the enemy is going to be forced to try to come to him or over time, the raptors are going to decimate them. Won't work against every army, but it might upset a few games.

• Thanks 1

So, here's what I'm going to play in tomorrow for Scorched earth 2019, againt my SCE friend :

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals - Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Celestant-Prime (340)

Lord-Castellant (120)
- General - Command Trait : Staunch Defender - Artefact : Thermalrider Cloak
Knight-Azyros (100)

4 x Fulminators (480)
5 x Liberators (100)
5 x Liberators (100)
3 x Prosecutors with Stormcall Javelins (90)
10 x Phoenix Guard (140)

TOTAL: 1470/1500 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0 WOUNDS: 75
LEADERS: 3/4 BATTLELINES: 2 (2+) BEHEMOTHS: 0/2 ARTILLERY: 0/2
ARTEFACTS: 1/1 ALLIES: 140/200

I'll put the fulminators on my deployment line, in cover with Castellant. Staunch, cover+ their innate save will make them very resilient to the balista attack (I hope he's going to target them!). On the other side, still in cover, I'll put the 10 Phoenix Guards.
At maximum range possible from the balistas, I'll put the on one side the 5 man libs squad and the otter one on the other objective.
I'll let my opponent take first turn, so I'll know where the balistas are, I'll shoot them with the dracoths, then charge them I hope, if they fail their charge, well at least, they will have lantern+ innate save and staunch (maybe he'll shoot my castellant then).
Prosecutors should be around to help with shooting or i'll deepstrike them to harass in case he didn't make a good screening job.
I hope I can keep the Prime in heavens for at least 1 turn so he'll be 5 attacks when he comes down.
It's not hyper competitive, but I hope it will be fun to play!
About the gryph hound, is there a good way to place him so I can make use of his countercharge shot ability ? Do you guys see some major flaws ?

Cheers!