AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Hi folks

I've got a fair pile of Stormcast that I've collected over the last couple of years, including just over 2000 points painted. I collect and paint the stuff I like, rather than what's good, and generally just play with that.

But I'm considering going to some events so I'd like to optimise it a little bit, because as long as I stick to what I like and the list is fun to play, it'll be better not losing every game before I've even reached the table 😅

Some friends suggested that building around the evocators on dracolines could be a good fit for me, so I've made a list I think I like the look of, that requires some painting but is largely what I've already got.

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
Mortal Realm: Ghur
Lord-Arcanum on Celestial Dracoline (220)
- General
- Trait: Staunch Defender
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm
- Spell: Celestial Blades
- Mount Trait: Pride Leader
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Lighntning Blast
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Stormcaller
Knight-Heraldor (100)
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
10 x Liberators (200)
- Warhammers
- 1x Grandblades
- 1x Grandhammers
6 x Evocators on Dracolines (600)
- Lore of Invigoration: Terrifying Aspect
3 x Vanguard-Palladors (180)
- Boltstorm Pistols and Starstrike Javelins
Everblaze Comet (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 107

I'm particularly wondering:
A) If I'm best off without a Stormhost, or if there's one that makes sense here
B) If I stay freeform, would I benefit more from Staunch on the Lord-Arcanum for the evocats or on a Knight-Incantor for the Liberators/Judicators?
C) How to divide up my Judicators and Liberators

Other feedback is welcome, and I do have some other heroes and units (but I'm not particularly interested in running shootcast or gavbomb tbh!)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Lord-Aquilor (general)

Lord-Arcanum on Dracoth (giant Thunderwulfen Wolf Lord)

Lord-Arcanum on Dracoline (same as above, but brown)

3x5 Vanguard-Hunters

3 Pallidors with Javelins

4 Concussors (Thunderwolf Cavalry conversion)

5 Retributors (2 Starsoul maces, big Wulfen I made from old minotaurs and Fenrisian Wolf heads and Wulfen bits)

Lord-Aquilor (general) - Very Good mobility with his command ability.

Lord-Arcanum on Dracoth (giant Thunderwulfen Wolf Lord) - You meant Lord CELESTANT, hits like a brick, when he does. Good damage and survivability if supported.

Lord-Arcanum on Dracoline (same as above, but brown) - To be played with evocators on cats to reap all benefits of his mount/mount trait.

3x5 Vanguard-Hunters - Useful due to their shooting phase, run n shoot, 7" DeepStrike.

3 Pallidors with Javelins - Very good mobility too, not the heaviest hitter but ok

4 Concussors (Thunderwolf Cavalry conversion) - Heavy hitting ******

5 Retributors (2 Starsoul maces, big Wulfen I made from old minotaurs and Fenrisian Wolf heads and Wulfen bits) - Lost of their superb compared to evocators but still overall good unit. Slow though.

Edited by Maturin
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, rogue_michael said:

Hi folks

I've got a fair pile of Stormcast that I've collected over the last couple of years, including just over 2000 points painted. I collect and paint the stuff I like, rather than what's good, and generally just play with that.

But I'm considering going to some events so I'd like to optimise it a little bit, because as long as I stick to what I like and the list is fun to play, it'll be better not losing every game before I've even reached the table 😅

Some friends suggested that building around the evocators on dracolines could be a good fit for me, so I've made a list I think I like the look of, that requires some painting but is largely what I've already got.

Mortal Realm: Ghur
- General
- Trait: Staunch Defender
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Lighntning Blast
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Stormcaller
Knight-Heraldor (100)
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
10 x Liberators (200)
- Warhammers
- 1x Grandblades
- 1x Grandhammers
- Lore of Invigoration: Terrifying Aspect
3 x Vanguard-Palladors (180)
- Boltstorm Pistols and Starstrike Javelins
Everblaze Comet (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 107

I'm particularly wondering:
A) If I'm best off without a Stormhost, or if there's one that makes sense here
B) If I stay freeform, would I benefit more from Staunch on the Lord-Arcanum for the evocats or on a Knight-Incantor for the Liberators/Judicators?
C) How to divide up my Judicators and Liberators

Other feedback is welcome, and I do have some other heroes and units (but I'm not particularly interested in running shootcast or gavbomb tbh!)

I run 6 Kittycators with a Lord Arcanum on cat, too, but my list is quite different. I believe in bulking out the cats with defensive buffs so they survive the inevitable counterstrike after obliterating their first charge. That's a Lord-Castellant and the Chronomantic Cogs (+1 cast and reroll, of course) for me. I also run a Knight-Heraldor, as it increases the chance of a first turn charge, allows to retreat and charge so the cats don't get bogged down in protracted melee without their bonus damage.

For Stormhosts i tried Hammers, Anvils and Celestial Vindocators, the latter having the largest impact. Hammers: The 6+ fnp is nice plus the chance to revive a unit of Liberators or a 20 blob of Sequitors is huge late game.  Anvils: Pretty bad as you never get the charging bonus on the cats, and kittys rely on theor actual melee damage as opposed to foot Evos which rely on the MW. Vindicators: Powerful due to reroll 1s (cats hit on 2s) and +1attack for rider and mount is far better than just +1 on the mount from Lord Arcanum. This allows a unit of 6 to obliterate 2 units at once if you get a solid charge, plus snipe a support character with jazzhands. Feels far more impactful than the other two.

As for what of the rest of the list should be, i like a 20 blob of Sequitors, they make good use of Castellant and Heraldor once the cats are gone or too far away, and are a credible threat on their own. In my next attempts i'll go for three ballistae and Ordinator for a change though. I also think a Knight Incantor is mandatory, it can operate the cogs after the cats did, auto unbind and suicide bombing with flasks is a good trick to have.

Imo Dracolines make a good 2nd tier list. Against the top contenders it's pretty uphill (i struggle the most against Skaven, FEC depends on positional play and getting the charge with FEC having more threats, didn't face any Slaanesh or crazy Sisters list yet)  against anything else it's a solid and fun game for both players according to my experience. Wall of text out :P

• Thanks 2

Kittycators are a far greater investment and not as competitive. Keep in mind that Evocators on foot require a way of delivery or a reason for your opponent to come after you. In that regard Cats are easier to handle. I just think that it's just fine to invest another 300 points to make sire your 600 points of Kitties get to do what they want. They are squishy after all and can't be ignored duento their output.

Hi everyone! 

I am a casual player looking to go to a tournament in the spring. This will be my first tournament since 8ed. 

I got two list that I would really appreciate feedback on. 

I want to nail down the big parts of the list so that I can build, paint and practice towards the tournament. 

The main idea of the lists is to try combine good shooting with some combat. Magic and numbers will be sacrificed to achieve this.

- Stormhost: Anvils of the Heldenhammer

Leaders
Lord-Castellant (120)
- General
- Trait: Deathly Aura
- Artefact: Soulthief
Lord-Veritant (120)

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows

Units
9 x Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows (420)
4 x Desolators (400)
3 x Aetherwings (50)
3 x Aetherwings (50)
2 x Fulminators (240)

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 116

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum (160)
- General
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
Lord-Relictor (100)
- Prayer: Translocation

Battleline
5 x Sequitors (130)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
5 x Sequitors (130)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields

Units
9 x Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows (420)
4 x Desolators (400)
3 x Aetherwings (50)
3 x Aetherwings (50)
2 x Fulminators (240)

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 115

5 hours ago, Lucur said:

Kittycators are a far greater investment and not as competitive. Keep in mind that Evocators on foot require a way of delivery or a reason for your opponent to come after you. In that regard Cats are easier to handle. I just think that it's just fine to invest another 300 points to make sire your 600 points of Kitties get to do what they want. They are squishy after all and can't be ignored duento their output.

10 evocators with Gavriel, a lord celestant or knight azyros must annihilate everything around them!

Hi all, im thinking on start stormcast by building a list, playing around dragons.

I wanted to know if is some Kind of effective on tournaments.

Somthing like: 

Stardrake

6 desolators

Incantor

Castellant

Azyros

2x5 liberators

1 judicators

1 everblaze comet.

Thanks. Im not sure if is a good idea to to go for this list.

Hello friends.  Been looking into taking the plunge into Stormcast Eternals.  Mainly from a modelling standpoint I wanted to have a barbarian flavored Stormhost with lots of fur on their persons.  But also I wanted to have high numbers of Sacrosanct units because I like the look of the models.  Have not quite settled on a Stormhost yet, but I think I have a pretty good list built using the units I wanted to use.

- Stormhost: Celestial Vindicators

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum on Celestial Dracoline (220)
- General
- Trait: Single-minded Fury
- Artefact: Stormrage Blade
- Spell: Thundershock
- Mount Trait: Pride Leader
Lord-Veritant (120)
- Prayer: Translocation
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Stormcaller

Battleline
10 x Sequitors (260)
- Tempest Blades and Soulshields
- 2x Stormsmite Greatmaces
10 x Sequitors (260)
- 2x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Sequitors (130)

Units
3 x Evocators on Dracolines (300)
- 1x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Terrifying Aspect
5 x Evocators (220)
- 1x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Celestial Blades
5 x Evocators (220)
- 1x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Celestial Blades

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (110)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Wounds: 120

At least right now the plan is to buff the Lord-Arcanum and the Evocators on Dracolines because there are all kinds of attack buffs they will be getting.  What I am contemplating currently is dropping out one unit of Evocators and the Ballista to beef up the Evocators on Dracolines to have a big dangerous unit.  Rule of Cool is number one for me honestly, which is why I am taking a Lord Veritant because I want to use a Fenrisan Wolf as his free Gryph Hound, but also I needed to have a priest in the army as well. 
What do you think?
Thanks.
Edited by DJMoose

@DJMoose

For battleline,

I suggest combining the sequitors into a 20-unit block (for the discount), then using another 2 minimum units of liberators, for 640 pts instead of 650 points for a few more bodies. Alternatively you could get a 20 sequitor block, a 5 sequitor block and 5 liberator block for 670 and use up your points. 

No experience with dracolines but sounds fun. 

A single ballista might be quite useless, you can consider dropping a evocator unit for another 2 ballistas.

Here's a list idea im brewing:

Tempest Lords 

1 extra CP

1 LAoF 

2 Incantors, aetherquartz brooch

1 Lord-exorcist, Patrician helm

1 Lord-celestant on SD, general and Bonds of noble duty

Grand convocation battalion

3x5 Liberators 

2x10 Skinks

Endless spells: Comet, pendulum, geminids, Purple sun.

So basically the list is all about casting the endless spells, buffing them to oblivion with movement using LAoF CA. And while spending all these CP you get 2 chances of getting each CP back with brooch and Patricia helm.

What do you guys think of this list? Its more of a softcore list, playing cause fun but i reckon you could do well with it. 3/5 at a bigger tourney.

3 hours ago, Naprapaten said:

Here's a list idea im brewing:

Tempest Lords 

1 extra CP

1 LAoF 

2 Incantors, aetherquartz brooch

1 Lord-exorcist, Patrician helm

1 Lord-celestant on SD, general and Bonds of noble duty

Grand convocation battalion

3x5 Liberators 

2x10 Skinks

Endless spells: Comet, pendulum, geminids, Purple sun.

So basically the list is all about casting the endless spells, buffing them to oblivion with movement using LAoF CA. And while spending all these CP you get 2 chances of getting each CP back with brooch and Patricia helm.

What do you guys think of this list? Its more of a softcore list, playing cause fun but i reckon you could do well with it. 3/5 at a bigger tourney.

Imagine, you face a list using 12 anvil longstrikes and/or 4 balistas. What do you do ? How di you protect the Stardrake ? I'm thinking about playing a Grand Convocation too, but I'm looking to buff my dudes against incoming fire.$, so Balewind Vortex, Dais, etc

Edited by Maturin

First of all 12 Longstrikes is a weak list. Second i dont want to protect my stardrake, in this list he's there to draw attention. My mages are the win condition, ballistas cant snipe heroes very well. Only hardship is longstrikes, against an anvilstrike list i will get to go first though and will be able to kill a few of them.

On 9/13/2019 at 12:27 PM, Evantas said:

@DJMoose

For battleline,

I suggest combining the sequitors into a 20-unit block (for the discount), then using another 2 minimum units of liberators, for 640 pts instead of 650 points for a few more bodies. Alternatively you could get a 20 sequitor block, a 5 sequitor block and 5 liberator block for 670 and use up your points. 

No experience with dracolines but sounds fun. 

A single ballista might be quite useless, you can consider dropping a evocator unit for another 2 ballistas.

20 Sequitors is a solid wall, but good luck running around with it, traffic jam incoming. Let's not forget their weapons are only 1" :)

3 hours ago, Mikelomba said:

Can Simeone help me with a dracocast list please? I send an idea some lines up but no one Reply. Thx

Fulminators are prefered over desolators because they get -1 to be hit by missile weapons. Otherwise, I was  thinking of doing a Sdrake/dracoth list too, maybe with Vandus to use his ability.

So I’ve really enjoyed my first couple of (fairly casual) games with my Anvils list (list below)

Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
- General
- Trait: Deathly Aura  
- Artefact: Soulthief  
Lord-Aquilor (180)
Knight-Azyros (100)
Lord-Castellant (120)

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
5 x Judicators (160)
- Boltstorm Crossbows

Units
6 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (340)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Suffocating Gravetide (20)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 97

Both games were vs. Gloomspite, a Trogg list with a spider and a block of 60 Grots. The first game I basically lost because I kept forgetting all my rules and used Scions poorly. But the second game I won fairly convincingly, though my opponent definitely messed up their deployment and turn 1. 

Plusses:

6 Dracolines are super nasty buffed, they took down a -2 to hit Hag in one round of combat. 

Azyros is well worth the ‘2CP / 100 points) price tag for rerolling 1s for multiple units over multiple turns.

Do like the model of Aquilor and having him ferry around the 6 Longstrikes at will is great for character sniping. 

Enjoying the damage of the crossbow Judicators but the range is definitely a limiting factor. 

Gotta love that hero phase shooting / combat.

Minuses:

Its definitely low on magic with no bonuses to cast, not sure how much difference another Arcanum would make though tbh. Gravetide is obviously dead weight but it’s a fluff pick really. 

Maybe it’s a little too jack of all trades? But I like how it plays anyways. 

Will keep playing and trying refinements anyways!! Really enjoyed my games with SCE. 

I was lucky that I was able to deploy the Dracolines on the board, move them to an objective and charge in these games but obviously putting them up in the skies without any bonus to charge is a risk, even with the free reroll.

As it was I could put the Castellant behind them turn 1 for the buff and run him up behind for later turns. Azyros went up in the sky so I could put him down within 10 of as many enemy units as possible. He does have a big move though and he hardly fought so you could run him 13-18” every turn to decide where you want him. 

If all buffs and spells come off then you’re hitting and wounding on 2s rerolling 1s on both for the Thundercats which is boss and those mortals are brutal. 

• Thanks 2

On 4/18/2019 at 4:10 PM, Requizen said:

Depends on the setup. If the Terrorgheist is next to another unit, say some Horrors, you can charge the Horrors and only tag them with 1 Evocators, and then string the rest of the Evos in a line 3.1" away from the Terrorgheist. Now the TG is not eligible to pile in and attack (so skips the "start of combat phase" modifier for Gristlegore), and you pile in and attack with the Evos. Even though you aren't within 3" of the TG, he's still the closest model, so you pile in towards him and attack. Then you hit him with the MW jazz hands. 

Alternatively, if you want to play a bit more risky, you can charge one unit and string just one Evocator to be 3.1" away from the TG, and then only pile in .2" and hit him with the jazz hands only while attacking the other unit, though this has the downside of potentially whiffing on the MW roll. 

Is  this still doable ? Nothing in the FAQ came to contradict it ?

2 hours ago, Maturin said:

Is  this still doable ? Nothing in the FAQ came to contradict it ?

This sort of pile in shenanigan is still doable, it's the base rule of how pile-ins work. The Gristlegore rule changed, however, so it's no longer necessary as they don't strike first always anymore. 

3 minutes ago, Requizen said:

This sort of pile in shenanigan is still doable, it's the base rule of how pile-ins work. The Gristlegore rule changed, however, so it's no longer necessary as they don't strike first always anymore. 

Thanks for the reply Requizen.
Could you explain me something else please ? Around page 180 something, I think @PJetski talked about cancelling enemy charges using aetherwing, parking them at less than 3inch. Doing so, the enemy can't charge, a more expensive unit, but he can pile in and destroy the aetherwing, right ?