AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

2 hours ago, Souleater said:

My reading of the main rulebook in this case is that the Skyslayers Warscroll has 'Lord Celestant ' in normal type font not 'LORD CELESTANT '

The former means that the battalion refers specifically to the hero called exactly that. 

If it was in bold then it would allow any unit warscroll with that keyword.

You make perfect sense, yet, I can't shake the idea that if we follow your vision of it, then there are only two/three battalions in wich there's a Keyword instead of a title, Cleansing Phalanx with EVOCATORS (so evo on dracolines are ok then ?), Grand Convocation (LORD ARCANUM) and Lords of the Storm (with LORD CELESTANT), I'm now offiacilly bummed :(

7 hours ago, Maturin said:

You make perfect sense, yet, I can't shake the idea that if we follow your vision of it, then there are only two/three battalions in wich there's a Keyword instead of a title, Cleansing Phalanx with EVOCATORS (so evo on dracolines are ok then ?), Grand Convocation (LORD ARCANUM) and Lords of the Storm (with LORD CELESTANT), I'm now offiacilly bummed :(

I think that's because of the age of the Warscroll. I pretty much discovered the battalion yesterday when @Roark talked about it (and will probably test it) and seeing the look of the page, it's not recent. 

The question would be, should I run it in AotH or Celestial Vindicators ? Both seems interesting.

8 hours ago, Corcaedus said:

I think that's because of the age of the Warscroll. I pretty much discovered the battalion yesterday when @Roark talked about it (and will probably test it) and seeing the look of the page, it's not recent. 

The question would be, should I run it in AotH or Celestial Vindicators ? Both seems interesting.

Well, in the Stormcast Battle tome, there are only three battalions containing KEYWORDS so ...
I suppose Celestial Vindicators would be better, unless you're willing to invest heavily in judicators.

Edited by Maturin

So, I'm trying to come up with a nice 1250 points list. That's why we usually play in the local GW.

How about a Skyborne Slayers, using a shadowblade assassins as an ally since he's the only useful hero/unit I could find for 80 points and I own one. Also, If I follow his rule in the Grand Order BT, it says he has to be inside a unit, but not on a table, so that could be a good combo!
What I don't get though, is that in the warscroll builder on W community, when I select him as an ally, it doesn't let it equip an artifact coming from the malign sorcery's list.

I checked the BRB, it's not written allies can't equip artifacts per se.

Edited by Maturin

On 8/20/2019 at 8:46 AM, John Silver said:

The Idea of the list - control and shoot

Ballistas deal with heroes and heavy armoured guys, while Raptors shoot at low armoured or etherial guys.

Aquilor - from my point of view better than one use banner guy because he can transport unit several times and much faster by his own.

Birds and Haund control opponets movements 

Libs just to fill Battleline and control table as well from dipstriking enemy

P.S. Sorry for my english, I'm not a native speaker...

Similar list performed extremely well in the last ETC. However it had Veritant, Ordinator, Vexilor and 3x 10 Skinks.

9 hours ago, Maturin said:

So, I'm trying to come up with a nice 1250 points list. That's why we usually play in the local GW.

How about a Skyborne Slayers, using a shadowblade assassins as an ally since he's the only useful hero/unit I could find for 80 points and I own one. Also, If I follow his rule in the Grand Order BT, it says he has to be inside a unit, but not on a table, so that could be a good combo!
What I don't get though, is that in the warscroll builder on W community, when I select him as an ally, it doesn't let it equip an artifact coming from the malign sorcery's list.

I checked the BRB, it's not written allies can't equip artifacts per se.

Allies can't benefit from allegiance abilities. Artefacts are allegiance abilities. Allies cannot be given artefacts.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, PJetski said:

Allies can't benefit from allegiance abilities. Artefacts are allegiance abilities. Allies cannot be given artefacts.

You are not answering @Maturin´s question. Or at least you use the wrong reasoning (Realm Artefacts are not allegiance abilities). However, we have this very general Designer´s Commentary:

"Q: Can allied Heroes be given artefacts of power, and can allied Wizards be given spells from a spell lore? A: No to both questions."

(https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/age_of_sigmar_core_rules_designers_commentary_en-1.pdf, page 10)

Allies can not be given an artifact (wherever it may come from).

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Isotop said:

You are not answering @Maturin´s question. Or at least you use the wrong reasoning (Realm Artefacts are not allegiance abilities). However, we have this very general Designer´s Commentary:

"Q: Can allied Heroes be given artefacts of power, and can allied Wizards be given spells from a spell lore? A: No to both questions."

(https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/age_of_sigmar_core_rules_designers_commentary_en-1.pdf, page 10)

Allies can not be given an artifact (wherever it may come from).

5 hours ago, PJetski said:

Thanks guys!

Ok so If I want my assassin to have an artefact of power, it's grand alliance order then I need to use!

5 hours ago, Isotop said:

You are not answering @Maturin´s question. Or at least you use the wrong reasoning (Realm Artefacts are not allegiance abilities). 

Having artefacts in your army is part of your allegiance bonuses. There are no artefacts that are not tied to an allegiance, so it can be said that if you don't have an allegiance you can't select any artefacts.

Realm Artefacts can be chosen instead of your normal artefacts, so if you can't take artefacts then you also can't take the realm artefacts.

Allies cannot benefit from allegiance and artefacts are part of your allegiance, therefore allies can never take artefacts.

Edited by PJetski
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Maturin said:

Skinks aren't universal battlelines anymore if I'm not mistaken.

They never were, they were Order battleline. Allies cannot tick the battleline box, therefore, for skinks to be battleline, you can either play Seraphon or GA Order. Stormcast allegiance would be lost.

19 hours ago, Maturin said:

Skinks aren't universal battlelines anymore if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, he got 3x5 Liberators to fill the BL. Skinks just for screening and scoring. Also they still count as a friendly unit on a table, so you can put more in Azyr.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Lucur said:

They never were, they were Order battleline. Allies cannot tick the battleline box, therefore, for skinks to be battleline, you can either play Seraphon or GA Order. Stormcast allegiance would be lost.

Yeah, when I said universal battleline, I thought Order universal battleline, I thought it was a given.

4 hours ago, Qrepin said:

Yes, he got 3x5 Liberators to fill the BL. Skinks just for screening and scoring. Also they still count as a friendly unit on a table, so you can put more in Azyr.

How does that work ? They're used as a meat shield ?

Skinks are inbetween a meat shield and fast objective grabbers. Their  high move and the ability to retreat from combat make them very useful to play for objectives, they got cheap numbers of bodies and thus a larger footprint. I'm not sure how valuable they are after the price hike.

• Thanks 1

Hi,guys.I try a 1250 points list,play with local friends.

I like to try Everblaze Comet and Dracothian Guard,how about this list:

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals - Mortal Realm: Ghur
LEADERS
Lord-Arcanum on Tauralon (320)
- General
- Command Trait : Staunch Defender
- Artefact : Gryph-feather Charm
- Spell : Lighntning Blast
- Mount Trait : Steel Pinions
Lord-Relictor (100)
- Prayer : Bless Weapons
UNITS
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
4 x Concussors (480)
5 x Sequitors (130)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
- 3 x Stormsmite Greatmaces
ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN
Everblaze Comet (100)
TOTAL: 1230/1250 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0 WOUNDS: 55
LEADERS: 2/4 BATTLELINES: 2 (2+) BEHEMOTHS: 0/2 ARTILLERY: 0/2
ARTEFACTS: 1/1 ALLIES: 0/200

• LOVE IT! 1

5 hours ago, Summy said:

Hi,guys.I try a 1250 points list,play with local friends.

I like to try Everblaze Comet and Dracothian Guard,how about this list:

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals - Mortal Realm: Ghur
LEADERS
Lord-Arcanum on Tauralon (320)
- General
- Command Trait : Staunch Defender
- Artefact : Gryph-feather Charm
- Spell : Lighntning Blast
- Mount Trait : Steel Pinions
Lord-Relictor (100)
- Prayer : Bless Weapons
UNITS
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
4 x Concussors (480)
5 x Sequitors (130)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
- 3 x Stormsmite Greatmaces
ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN
Everblaze Comet (100)
TOTAL: 1230/1250 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0 WOUNDS: 55
LEADERS: 2/4 BATTLELINES: 2 (2+) BEHEMOTHS: 0/2 ARTILLERY: 0/2
ARTEFACTS: 1/1 ALLIES: 0/200

That's a pretty cool list for 1250! The change I would make is switching the Relictor for a Castellant. The Castellant is really important for making the Concussors survivable. With both him and Staunch they're immune to -1 rend which is huge.

13 hours ago, Marzillius said:

That's a pretty cool list for 1250! The change I would make is switching the Relictor for a Castellant. The Castellant is really important for making the Concussors survivable. With both him and Staunch they're immune to -1 rend which is huge.

Thanks.Castellant is a nice choice,considering that 20 points left.

So,

I need your help my fellow Sigmarines! I'd like to use the Skyborne Slayers Battalion I posted earlier, Grand Alliance Order so my assassin can use the sword giving -3 rend, sword doing D6 on heroes and monster on my celestant.
Do you think I'd have a wining chance against someone using :

Tempest lords :

- Lord Aquilor

- Knight Incantor

- 2 x 5 Vanguard Hunters

- 5 sequitors

- 2 Balistas + Lord Ordinator Deep Striking alongside 5 evocators.

I'd either take first turn to destroy most of his army, then pray for his balistas to not destroy me too much, or I'd wait until he has deepstriked his balistas but I could wait three turn and lose to the objectives ...

I’m really really loving my Stormcast models, love their storyline and everything. I’m getting back into tabletop gaming after a few years away from the 40k tournament scene and old world Warhammer. 

Here’s my question after much research, to you professionals of bringing the pain, 

Am I pretty much stuck with one or two builds to be competitive like longstrikes and Vandus etc or is even that suffering from the over costed units and sub par stats of a lot of their current Battletome units? How often do the poster boys of fantasy get a codex update if so ? Thanks everyone I know it’s a huge vague hard to answer question. Why I came here to the professionals lol.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, OIF4IDVET said:

I’m really really loving my Stormcast models, love their storyline and everything. I’m getting back into tabletop gaming after a few years away from the 40k tournament scene and old world Warhammer. 

Here’s my question after much research, to you professionals of bringing the pain, 

Am I pretty much stuck with one or two builds to be competitive like longstrikes and Vandus etc or is even that suffering from the over costed units and sub par stats of a lot of their current Battletome units? How often do the poster boys of fantasy get a codex update if so ? Thanks everyone I know it’s a huge vague hard to answer question. Why I came here to the professionals lol.

I don’t think this forum is united on the opinion, but personally I feel the longstrike list is probably the most competitive and removes the most luck factor from the equation.

After that there’s probably 4-5 semi competitive builds that can go 3/5 , occasionally 4/5, if you are really lucky or an amazing player (usually both).

SCE on the average imo is a 3/5 army. That’s pretty much my win rate with them, if I play my best and don’t make any mistakes and I know my opponents army well.

So taking units of “heavy looking infantry” sadly doesn’t actually equal taking heavy infantry unless it’s maybe evocators or sequitors? The other paladins aren’t good options and liberators aren't either compared to those two I’m beginning to see, which is a shame really because I love all the types, probably much the same with the many different cavalry units , they look outstanding and super capable but performance isn’t a good trade off for points. It does kinda grind me that ten liberators can’t really compare to the same core units in a lot of these other armies that cost less. Fingers crossed for a decent rebalancing because I’m gonna stick with the sigmarines regardless.  

1 minute ago, OIF4IDVET said:

So taking units of “heavy looking infantry” sadly doesn’t actually equal taking heavy infantry unless it’s maybe evocators or sequitors? The other paladins aren’t good options and liberators aren't either compared to those two I’m beginning to see, which is a shame really because I love all the types, probably much the same with the many different cavalry units , they look outstanding and super capable but performance isn’t a good trade off for points. It does kinda grind me that ten liberators can’t really compare to the same core units in a lot of these other armies that cost less. Fingers crossed for a decent rebalancing because I’m gonna stick with the sigmarines regardless.  

I love my stormcast to bits. I'm at around 3500 points worth and climbing. Just because I can't beat everyone with them doesn't mean i don't like them.

Both of our cavalry options are pretty good. Both Dracolines and Dracoths are strong and have their place. I'm speaking purely from a tournament-competitive standpoint when I say I feel they are a 3/5 army. In my local hobby group and in the store, I seem to almost always do pretty good, and I'm sure there's quite a few people who don't like playing me and think that they are overpowered or something.

Different people will have different expleriences.

I'm more or less playing a Gav bomb army these days. Despite the fact that people have learned how to counter it, it's still the strongest trick I've got, and it still works against people who don't know how to block it, or don't have the tools to do so.

The 2nd to last tournament I went to, I tried a non-Gav-bomb list and I ended up spending he entire tournament at the bottom tables, unable to beat opponents that I previously had no trouble with.

As for 10 liberators, you basically have to put a lord castellant with them. This guy is unfortunately a bit of a must-take in most good lists. Not much you can do to avoid it. I think the army is intended to have its heroes buffing and making their troops stronger.

There is a style of list coming up with the latest points changes, containing 6 Desolators. I didn't hear of any major successes so far sadly, but i think it's on the stronger end. I'm far from trying that out myself though, budget is tight and i want to build some skyborne slayers before i get to any extremis models ^^

My list for a tournament this week end:

- Stormhost: Anvils of the Heldenhammer

LEADERS
Lord-Veritant (120)
- General
- Command Trait : Deathly Aura
- Mystic Light (Artefact) : Lantern of the Tempest
- Prayer : Translocation
Knight-Vexillor (120)
- Pennant of the Stormbringer
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Artefact : Soulthief
- Spell : Chain Lightning

UNITS
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
- 1 x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
- 1 x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
- 1 x Grandhammers
3 x Aetherwings (50)
3 x Aetherwings (50)
3 x Aetherwings (50)
12 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (680)
3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (170)

3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (170)

BATTALIONS
Vanguard Justicar Conclave (120)

ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN
Dais Arcanum (30)

Any thoughts?