Battleline
20 x Sequitors (440)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers

Units
9 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (510)

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 121

Okay, guys. What do you think about this? I combinated our two best shooting units. In paper this should work.

Edited by Nizrah

Went to New Zealand Call to Arms tournament in Wellington this weekend. Review follows...

This is the army that I went with:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Hammers of Sigmar
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Lord-Castellant (120)
-
 General
- Trait: We Cannot Fail 
- Artefact: God-forged Blade 
Gavriel Sureheart (120)
Knight-Incantor (140)
-
 Spell: Azyrite Halo
Celestant-Prime (340)

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
-
 Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Judicators (160)
-
 Boltstorm Crossbows
- 1x Thunderbolt Crossbows
10 x Liberators (200)
-
 Warhammer & Shield
- 2x Grandhammers

Units
3 x Aetherwings (50)
3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows (140)
10 x Evocators (440)
-
 Lore of Invigoration: Terrifying Aspect
- 10x Grandstaves

Endless Spells / Terrain
Celestian Vortex (40)
Everblaze Comet (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 106

Game 1: vs Hedonites of Slaanesh, Star Strike

I set up two small pockets of units in the far corners of the board, with the intention of waiting for the stars to fall before striking.

IMG_1088.JPG.037e145391d4ab5eb6bf70ae602a1345.JPG

He gave me first turn with the intention of trying to double turn him. I tried to cast a spell, failed, then ended my turn. He moved forward a little bit then ended his turn. We rolled for turn 2. I won and gave it to him so that I wouldn't get double turned later in the battle. The star fell on top of his army on the left side of the board. I dropped 10 liberators, 10 evocators, gavriel, and a lord castellant in front of 30 daemonettes and a keeper of secrets, and charged in.

IMG_1089.JPG.18874971b8a8654e52b5a089666d9d4b.JPG

The Keeper of secrets killed all the evocators  except 2 before they got to attack.

IMG_1090.JPG.c8156760f3cf3d725ceaf7591a1c8b44.JPG

We ran out of time on turn 3 and didn't finish the game (opponent was very slow player), but I was on the way to getting tabled. I brought my celestant prime out on turn 3 and assaulted the lyricist in the back, whiffed all my attacks with him and then died in the following counter assault before getting to attack again.

We sort of "speed played/talked" through turn 4 just to get a feel for how things would go, but skipped a bunch of stuff and really didn't play it out properly.

I scored 120 KPs (the liberators on the left killed some small hero) and lost my hidden objective which was to kill the opponent's most expensive model.

Game 2: vs Gloomspite Gitz Squiggalance, Duality of Death

The battle was on the 2nd to last table. Very cool army though - a squigg-based gitz army. I lost deployment, but he gave me first turn. There was an objective inside one of the buildings on my left side, so I ran straight for it and tagged the objective first turn. I buffed the unit with my castellant.

IMG_1091.JPG.84d949c923e33298a341a7d5829f24d9.JPG

On turn 1 I got assaulted with the monster squigg and lost almost half the unit of liberators in a single assault. I spent a command point to keep them from fleeing the table. I removed casualties from outside the building until the unit was finally on a 2+ RR save. After that, 4 liberators tanked the objective for the remaining 4 turns and bounced back and for between taking 1 damage and then healing it (in a later combat) via the castellant buff. My ranged units slowly whittled down everything on that side of the board, until there was no more melee.

IMG_1095.JPG.1e1e1303f135e8eaa993397618ce8abd.JPG

I brought my Celestant prime out in turn 3 to try to kill the monster squigg. He whiffed all his attacks and then died in the return combat... But the liberators lived until the end of the game and I got max points for that objective.

On the other side of the board, he surrounded the objective and castled up.

IMG_1094.JPG.c117abb9787e9263c6f12af0f7bef353.JPG

I Gav-bombed the Evocators into it and managed to kill the Battleline unit that was holding the objective, after 2 turns of combat.

IMG_1097.JPG.acf10b01f36027f5e766f353b8959c59.JPG

Gavriel died to the monster squigg on the right side on the charge in. :( I ended up with 4 evocators remaining by the end of the game, but they managed to kill everything on that side of the board in the end.

After he lost the objective, I won the game due to victory points.

We played the game out and I managed to table him (2000 kill points), but I lost my hidden objective, which was to recapture an objective.

Game 3: vs Order Draconis, Shifting Objectives

Very cool looking army to face.

46A62CED-9B02-431E-ADB4-66B66E90DD8B.png.72e6a18ad5fcf7ae5683eb074aa21525.png

My pictures aren't great for this. I split my army into 2 forces, a small group on the left and a large group on the right.

On the left side, he had a very strong line up. He took first turn and moved forward a little bit, preparing to crush that side of the board.

IMG_1099.JPG.0b7371cdd5b004be085a52ae7d605b57.JPG

At the top of turn 1, I dropped Gavriel and the evocators on the left side and charged in with everything. I got very lucky on the lightning zaps and basically 1 shotted the black dragon on that side.  After that, his left right flank crumbled and I just swept towards the middle...

IMG_1101.JPG.2fda3bbdc81236effab5a39a6c49a190.JPG

On the right side of the board, I brought my Celestant Prime out and attacked a black dragon. He whiffed all his attacks and then died to the return assault. (I swear, I am not making this up.)

However, my right flank held firm and he couldn't budge me off of the objective there, due to stacking armor buffs.

IMG_1102.JPG.a2b71415b2b8a62707e30d9d339b6e62.JPG

The evocators continued to sweep across the board, and I eventually caught up to the dragon and killed it to win the game and table. (2000 points). I finally got my secondary objective, which was to make a charge greater than 9".

Game 4: vs Stormcast, Knife to the Heart

Very short game, but nice and good-hearted opponent.

IMG_1111.JPG.7501d681a51376b7be89b0704c23f847.JPG

He took first turn, but didn't drop things from the sky. I castled up on my objective and buffed everything up.

IMG_1110.JPG.1fc52d30a0c538a1938141df00d5f318.JPG

I then dropped my shooting and started whittling away at his objective holders. He countered with a dragon.

IMG_1108.JPG.479966588e90c1997cc619a0b1b0b28c.JPG

Turn 2, I gav bombed and rushed his objective and pushed through.

IMG_1109.JPG.49b5152e12f127ca6c5679beab79baaf.JPG

Turn 3 ticked over and the game ended because I held both objectives. Extremely low scoring game - I had 260 KP from this - but I did get my hidden objective which was to capture 2 objectives.

Game 5: vs Fyreslayers, Focal Points

Ug... what a game. I knew this was a tough matchup, so I was not so much trying to win as just harrass him and give him a hard time. 

I set up strong on one of the objectives.

IMG_1116.JPG.3d3aa3d7a6a7ea8848681feb7dd14467.JPG

On the other side, I set up weak, and dropped the Celestant Prime down on turn 1 in order to use him as artillary for the rest of the game. He did great and killed all but 1 of the foot heroes in this role.

IMG_1113.JPG.c95de5aab4bab53c7f638d6d3d2a7af0.JPG

He tunneled a unit of Hearthguard berserkers in front of me, but failed his charge.

In the back, I dropped gavriel and the shooters into his back line, shot a hero off the board and charged into his magmadroth. I killed the Magmadroth but lost the evocators and Gavriel on the counter.

IMG_1115.JPG.882c827088ab7da2680e9e33baf02216.JPG

The hearthguard finally got over to my side of the board and he eventually captured 4 objectives.

IMG_1117.JPG.c5e6114bc5e1bfb3304b6366d3ed1488.JPG

I felt I gave him a good game in the end, as he only had 1 hero left with 1 wound. I lost the game 17 points to 35, but did a good job with KP 540 (I think), considering.

**** I found out after this game that my opponent screwed his rules up completely almost everywhere.

1. He was using his command ability to let his magmadroth attack first in combat (this only applies to infantry units).

2. He was giving his Runesmiter a 4+ damage save (this only applies to the hearthguard and not the hero).

3. He was activating fight first with his hearthguard even though they were not wholly within 12" of his hero.

4. He gave all of his vulkites a 6+ damage save (the rule for the hearthguard, but spread across the entire army), as well as his general and his priest for some reason....

5. He gave his magmic invocation +1 to mortal wound and said that it was because he was targetting a hero (this is false, it only works if targeting horde units).

6. He was piling in 6" with his hearthguard instead of 3".

I wasn't familiar with Fyreslayers, so I didn't know what the heck was going on. So every time he did something, I just thought, "******, that seems way too good...." but I couldn't say anything because I didn't know if it was true or not.

However, if we'd have played a fair game, I would have completely collapsed his back field and wiped all his heroes out by turn 3, and possibly could have won. So I'm really bummed out about this last game. :( I did speak to the TO and apparently other players in the tournament had similar issues.

In any case, I took home my usual 3/5 wins with Stormcast, which is par for the course for me. Placed 15/32 in the tournament, and had the best showing of the Stormcast players there. Great weekend and supercharged my energy to keep playing AoS.

Thanks for reading.

• Like 9
  • LOVE IT! 1

Great Battlereport, was fun to read. Would you change anything in your setup or are you satisfied with how your list played? 

A question I am dealing with atm is which Paladins to play in my List. I usually go for Sequitors/10 Evocators and am thinking about some Decimators to support against horde. Or would you generally prefer the Retributors as they are better generalists? 

3 hours ago, Naem said:

Great Battlereport, was fun to read. Would you change anything in your setup or are you satisfied with how your list played? 

Azyrite Halo is cool but it’s super niche and rarely comes into play. I think I chose poorly there. Lightning blast is probably a better choice. 

Same with terrifying aspect on the evocators. I should have gone with the spell that can reroll charges.

Otherwise I’m really happy with how the list is playing and I wouldn’t change anything. I feel it’s playing about as good as it can.

If I play smart and make good choices, I generally feel like most games I at least had a fair chance of winning. That’s fine.

A question I am dealing with atm is which Paladins to play in my List. I usually go for Sequitors/10 Evocators and am thinking about some Decimators to support against horde. Or would you generally prefer the Retributors as they are better generalists? 

I like the idea of using the spear guys to hunt monsters, just because, personally.

But I suppose retributors would probably be the most well rounded.

Edited by Mark Williams

You are right, they are great against a monster heavy list, while the axe guys are much better against hordes and hammer dudes are the most flexible. Sooo what to do with my 5 man box? I already have 3 hammer guys from the starter set but there is no use in having 8 of them. But maybe I can magnetize the 5 new dudes to match all needs? Anyone has experience in that? 

1 hour ago, Naem said:

You are right, they are great against a monster heavy list, while the axe guys are much better against hordes and hammer dudes are the most flexible. Sooo what to do with my 5 man box? I already have 3 hammer guys from the starter set but there is no use in having 8 of them. But maybe I can magnetize the 5 new dudes to match all needs? Anyone has experience in that? 

Build the 2 star soul maces. Build three of the Protectors.   Then you can field a unit of retributors or a unit of protectors as needed (2 of the 5 have star soul maces).  then buy a starter set of paladins and kitbash some star soul maces (I like painting the hammers a different color) so you can field both units at the same time

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jhamslam said:

Nice writeup Mark

How did you find the Celestant Prime, and what do you think is the best way to use him in the current meta

In terms of damage done and points countered, he almost never pays for himself. 7/10 games he's basically a points sink, and I couldn't tell you how many times he'****** the board, charged in, and then whiffed everything and died instantly.

However... the prime has a few things going for him.

1. Some people have never seen him, and they have no idea how dangerous he is. Some people completely expose a unit that they thing is untouchable or unkillable to the rest of my army, and the prime basically "takes them to school" for it. Against newer players, it's not uncommon for the prime to just sort run around the back of the board slaying back-line units because people had no idea that he could do that.

2. Some people WAY overprotect themselves from him. They are scared of him, and they end up either playing far too conservatively, or they invest far too many resources into trying to kill him. He ends up being some kind of psychological tool against these sorts of people.

3. If someone is running small 100 point buffing heroes, I just drop him in my own lines and start dropping comets each turn. I will combine this with the everblaze comet for a 1-2 punch that will often 1-shot a hero if not multiple heroes. Every now and then someone accidentally clumps up all their heroes into a small pile, and I've ended up comboing him off the comet to kill 3-4 heros in a single turn. It doesn't happen often and you need good judement about it, but when it does, it completely guts the enemy.

In general, I basically use the prime to assassinate targets that I otherwise would have a lot of difficult dealing with. He's a very expensive assassin character, but he also seems to affect people pyschologically too.

In today's meta, he's nowhere near as good as he used to be. Ever since armies that can play around with activations came about, I'm finding him less and less resilient and useful. But having said that, there's still a significant number of armies that basically have no answer for him in tournaments, enough so that I feel forced to take him, even if he might not work well against some opponents. I've taken the stance that you simply can't win them all, but you can try to win more than half, and the prime is an important tool towards achieving that goal. If I didn't have him, I'm not really sure what I'd replace him with, as I need something like that in my army that's capable of extending my reach around the board and providing some sort of pressure on people to not just abandon their objectives.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mark Williams said:

In terms of damage done and points countered, he almost never pays for himself. 7/10 games he's basically a points sink, and I couldn't tell you how many times he'****** the board, charged in, and then whiffed everything and died instantly.

However... the prime has a few things going for him.

1. Some people have never seen him, and they have no idea how dangerous he is. Some people completely expose a unit that they thing is untouchable or unkillable to the rest of my army, and the prime basically "takes them to school" for it. Against newer players, it's not uncommon for the prime to just sort run around the back of the board slaying back-line units because people had no idea that he could do that.

2. Some people WAY overprotect themselves from him. They are scared of him, and they end up either playing far too conservatively, or they invest far too many resources into trying to kill him. He ends up being some kind of psychological tool against these sorts of people.

3. If someone is running small 100 point buffing heroes, I just drop him in my own lines and start dropping comets each turn. I will combine this with the everblaze comet for a 1-2 punch that will often 1-shot a hero if not multiple heroes. Every now and then someone accidentally clumps up all their heroes into a small pile, and I've ended up comboing him off the comet to kill 3-4 heros in a single turn. It doesn't happen often and you need good judement about it, but when it does, it completely guts the enemy.

In general, I basically use the prime to assassinate targets that I otherwise would have a lot of difficult dealing with. He's a very expensive assassin character, but he also seems to affect people pyschologically too.

In today's meta, he's nowhere near as good as he used to be. Ever since armies that can play around with activations came about, I'm finding him less and less resilient and useful. But having said that, there's still a significant number of armies that basically have no answer for him in tournaments, enough so that I feel forced to take him, even if he might not work well against some opponents. I've taken the stance that you simply can't win them all, but you can try to win more than half, and the prime is an important tool towards achieving that goal. If I didn't have him, I'm not really sure what I'd replace him with, as I need something like that in my army that's capable of extending my reach around the board and providing some sort of pressure on people to not just abandon their objectives.

Yeah thats sort of my experience too. Most of the Primes wins comes from it becoming a "Distraction Carnifex" as the term from 40k goes. Hes not that scary or tough at all. If they bumped him to 12 or 14 wounds hed be worth it

2 hours ago, jhamslam said:

Yeah thats sort of my experience too. Most of the Primes wins comes from it becoming a "Distraction Carnifex" as the term from 40k goes. Hes not that scary or tough at all. If they bumped him to 12 or 14 wounds hed be worth it

I feel that I haven't made a good case for the Prime if you walk away from the discussion just simply saying he isn't worth it. My point of view is that he's worth it, except when fighting better armies, but that the book simply offers nothing significantly better. The Prime does something unique that isn't intrinsically covered by anything else in the book, and against 60% of the armies out there, he's outstanding. The problem is that making that call that he's not worth it, comes with an unspoken implication that you're going to replace his points with something much better. The problem therein lies that there's not much else in the SCE book to choose from that is actually better. There's basically just different shades of grey to take in his place. I'm happy with the prime and what he does, and I'll continue to consider him a must-take in my army. This doesn't mean I don't think he should be better. This doesn't mean I don't understand his flaws or why people don't like him. My problem is that I can't get anything else that does exactly what he does, but more efficiently. I agree that it's sad and not fair, but that won't stop me from taking him anyway.

Edited by Mark Williams
  • Like 1

Hes good in the right list - i tend to run him with staunch and ignax scales making him extremely difficult to kill with the right support.

List i am going to try is:

LCoSD - 560

Castellent - 120

Ordinator - 140

Relictor - 100 (Translocation)

Libs 3x5 - 300

Ballista x3 - 330

Evocators x10 - 440

Not sue if it will be incredible but seems fairly solid in my head haha

7 hours ago, jhamslam said:

I find that the Prime is always worth it. From turn 3 onwards he can one-shot most things in the game. His ability to grab objectives is fantastic. From turn one he can be a brilliant mortal wound platform. It’s the versatility that makes him. He will have a job to play in any game you play, and regardless of how your opponent sets up or what they have, the Prime can do something to counter.

On 8/2/2019 at 9:14 AM, Lucur said:

That's the typical issue of casual vs pro-gameplay though. In a non optimized list with not overly competitive generals, Sequitors seem very strong. Once you take them to a more competitive environment, they become far weaker. I don't mean to come down on anyone here, please don't take offense ;) (I'm not a real tournamemt player due to lack of time myself, just take a lot of interest in the scene)

It's similar to many a video game, say LoL, where a champ can have an overall average winrate of 40% but is a 100% pick and ban in pro games because coordination and deep understanding of mechanics are at work. Casual players would call for buffs, pros for nerfs.

It's the same with Stormcast, in an average beer and brezel game, they seem inherently strong. In a GT they are overcosted annoyances.

There is no situation in the game where sequitors are weak. They’re easily one of the best units in the whole game, regardless of faction.

I strongly disagree. If your 260 pts unit of Sequitors gets ground down by a hundred and then some points of clanrats or plaguemonks, they're weak. When they can't hold an objective against skinks because large base and low model count, they are weak. When they get shot up and mortal wound spammed, the same amount of cheap horde bodies was half the cost. Once you pass a certain point of power in lists and play, Sequitors are overcosted for what they do or overshadowed for things other units do better.

5 hours ago, Grailstorm said:

There is no situation in the game where sequitors are weak. They’re easily one of the best units in the whole game, regardless of faction.

They were fine at 120 and a questionable take in a meta that makes things fight first before you can activate your shields. Theyre a good battleline but theyre slow, difficult to move around in large blocks effectively and are very weak to mortal wounds having no FNP where other battlelines in that range (Witch Elves, Hearthguard, monks) are either A. Cheaper or B. Better offensively or defensively thanks to MW protection.

I still take em in fun lists  but theyre really not a in a good spot rn. Plus the points increase didnt help.

10 hours ago, Mark Williams said:

I feel that I haven't made a good case for the Prime if you walk away from the discussion just simply saying he isn't worth it. My point of view is that he's worth it, except when fighting better armies, but that the book simply offers nothing significantly better. The Prime does something unique that isn't intrinsically covered by anything else in the book, and against 60% of the armies out there, he's outstanding. The problem is that making that call that he's not worth it, comes with an unspoken implication that you're going to replace his points with something much better. The problem therein lies that there's not much else in the SCE book to choose from that is actually better. There's basically just different shades of grey to take in his place. I'm happy with the prime and what he does, and I'll continue to consider him a must-take in my army. This doesn't mean I don't think he should be better. This doesn't mean I don't understand his flaws or why people don't like him. My problem is that I can't get anything else that does exactly what he does, but more efficiently. I agree that it's sad and not fair, but that won't stop me from taking him anyway.

Im not saying he isnt good. If i took him against a Slaaneshi or maybe an orc or idoneth deepkin army he'd probably be very good. And as a "fun" model i would definitely take him whenever i can. I also think his inclusion really alters players mindsets since they play much more conservatively knowing he can drop down any turn and delete something off the board. It also makes armies spread out a bit more since they are liable to die to comet strikes if theyre bunched up giving your army a bit of versatility.

However, he is too much of an investment for what is basically a big beat stick. At his points range, there are things in other peoples armies that are A. summoning. B. Casting  or C. Healing / giving out MW protection. As an 8 wound model thats is extremely prone to just getting swatted off the board by a combination of D3 mortal wound stuff and that he costs 340 points in an SCE army , is just a tad bit too much . Id take him all the time if he was 300. 

47 minutes ago, jhamslam said:

They were fine at 120 and a questionable take in a meta that makes things fight first before you can activate your shields. Theyre a good battleline but theyre slow, difficult to move around in large blocks effectively and are very weak to mortal wounds having no FNP where other battlelines in that range (Witch Elves, Hearthguard, monks) are either A. Cheaper or B. Better offensively or defensively thanks to MW protection.

I still take em in fun lists  but theyre really not a in a good spot rn. Plus the points increase didnt help.

They are taken in almost every single competitive Stormcast list for a reason.

2 hours ago, Lucur said:

I strongly disagree. If your 260 pts unit of Sequitors gets ground down by a hundred and then some points of clanrats or plaguemonks, they're weak. When they can't hold an objective against skinks because large base and low model count, they are weak. When they get shot up and mortal wound spammed, the same amount of cheap horde bodies was half the cost. Once you pass a certain point of power in lists and play, Sequitors are overcosted for what they do or overshadowed for things other units do better.

If your 10 sequitors are getting ground down by 20 clanrats, you’re very unlucky.

Edited by Grailstorm

4 minutes ago, Grailstorm said:

They are taken in literally every single competitive Stormcast list for a reason.

If your 10 sequitors are getting ground down by 20 clanrats, you’re very unlucky.

Lol idk where youve been but Sequitors havent been in Top 10 Lists anywhere since Standiferd won with his stardrake 5-6 months ago.  The days of Gav charging in with 20 sequitors is long over, youre only ever gonna win against armies like Orcs or Khorne once in a while with that tactic

In  a meta full of Gristlegore AGKoTG , plague monks and Slaaneshi Keepers, they are expensive battleline fodder, nothing more

7 hours ago, Naem said:

What about the big guy on Drake? Would love to have him as a huge centerpiece model but he just seems waaay to expensive even in a 2000 k list. Do you have any experience in fielding him? 

He's expensive but pretty fun to play with the right build. I give him Staunch Defender and Ignax Scale, plus Warding Lantern and Azyrite Halo, and keep a Knight-Heraldor around. The result is a monster that saves at 1+, heals wounds on save rolls of 5+, does mortal wounds on save rolls of 6+ and shrugs off MWs on 4+, and has the ability to run/retreat and still charge. Throw him face first into the thick of the enemy forces and watch as your opponent either grinds his forces to death on his shield or is forced to limit his movement to try and play around the Stardrake.

It's not a tournament winning list, but I do pretty well with it on my store's league.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jhamslam said:

Lol idk where youve been but Sequitors havent been in Top 10 Lists anywhere since Standiferd won with his stardrake 5-6 months ago.  The days of Gav charging in with 20 sequitors is long over, youre only ever gonna win against armies like Orcs or Khorne once in a while with that tactic

In  a meta full of Gristlegore AGKoTG , plague monks and Slaaneshi Keepers, they are expensive battleline fodder, nothing more

130 points for 10 wounds, multiple damage 2 attacks, 4+ save and complete re-rolls to hit or save is not expensive in the slightest.

With re-rolls to hit, five sequitors do more damage than a Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster on average.

With re-rolls to save, they’re one of the tankiest units in the entire game.

As battleline. What more could you want? They would get taken by any army in the game.

I’m not talking about Gav – I didn’t mention him at all. This is purely about the effectiveness of Sequitors. They are incredible, in a Stormcast army or as allies in any other army, because they have great stats and innate abilities that work with or without the Stormcast allegiance.

In terms of them not being used in tournaments, that’s just not true. The top two Stormcast lists at LVO 2019 had them. There were four Stormcast players in the top 20 at CanCon 2019, including a 5th place, which used Sequitors. In fact 3/4 of these armies used them. The most recent lists I looked at are for the ETC, and they’re being taken there too.

The lack of Stormcast armies in the top 10 of tournaments recently has no bearing on the effectiveness of Sequitors as a battleline unit. It is a sign of the advancing game and overpowered new abilities that have emerged since the new year.

2 minutes ago, Grailstorm said:

130 points for 10 wounds, multiple damage 2 attacks, 4+ save and complete re-rolls to hit or save is not expensive in the slightest.

With re-rolls to hit, five sequitors do more damage than a Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster on average.

With re-rolls to save, they’re one of the tankiest units in the entire game.

As battleline. What more could you want? They would get taken by any army in the game.

I’m not talking about Gav – I didn’t mention him at all. This is purely about the effectiveness of Sequitors. They are incredible, in a Stormcast army or as allies in any other army, because they have great stats and innate abilities that work with or without the Stormcast allegiance.

In terms of them not being used in tournaments, that’s just not true. The top two Stormcast lists at LVO 2019 had them. There were four Stormcast players in the top 20 at CanCon 2019, including a 5th place, which used Sequitors. In fact 3/4 of these armies used them. The most recent lists I looked at are for the ETC, and they’re being taken there too.

The lack of Stormcast armies in the top 10 of tournaments recently has no bearing on the effectiveness of Sequitors as a battleline unit. It is a sign of the advancing game and overpowered new abilities that have emerged since the new year.

Youre talking about a metagame that is A. Entirely different than the one now

B. Back when sequitors were 120

Idk if youve seen the points and armies now, but sequitors simply arent worth their investment, given that you also have to take a bad wizard (LA) to use them. Feel free to disagree. But i have a feeling the days of sequitor heavy armies are long over in a meta full of plague monk and skaven shooting, alongside Hearthguard Berzerkers who are just better in melee and the fight first shenanigans

Just now, jhamslam said:

Youre talking about a metagame that is A. Entirely different than the one now

B. Back when sequitors were 120

Idk if youve seen the points and armies now, but sequitors simply arent worth their investment, given that you also have to take a bad wizard (LA) to use them. Feel free to disagree. But i have a feeling the days of sequitor heavy armies are long over in a meta full of plague monk and skaven shooting, alongside Hearthguard Berzerkers who are just better in melee and the fight first shenanigans

Well the points have only just updated so that’s natural. Recently there’s been Northern Invasion, where there were plenty of Sequitors too and that used the new points.

But it makes no difference, they’re still cheap for what they are – and in many ways the points increase is inconsequential, because the Arcanum got reduced anyway.

Anything that can fight first and fight twice will be better, but that’s a ridiculous mechanic and a whole other conversation 😃