AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

@PJetski Have you seen this Khurnoth hunter shooting stuff yet? I just saw them last night and their damage output is pretty insane, and they can teleport around the board with a 30" reach.... they have an artefact that allows them to reroll hits, and grove ability to re-roll 1s to wound. Seems like basically a better version of Anvilstrike honestly......

33 minutes ago, Mark Williams said:

@PJetski Have you seen this Khurnoth hunter shooting stuff yet? I just saw them last night and their damage output is pretty insane, and they can teleport around the board with a 30" reach.... they have an artefact that allows them to reroll hits, and grove ability to re-roll 1s to wound. Seems like basically a better version of Anvilstrike honestly......

Its about as good as Jezzails. I'm not too impressed yet.

Kurnoth Hunters at range are fine. Nothing spectacular.  Their regular shooting stat line is lacklustre for their points - investing all that effort (Glade choice, artefact, Arch-Revenant) into boosting them seems like a wasted opportunity - better to have spent it on combat Hunters or Durthu. The Wyldwood LOS blocking also works against their usage. I say this as a Sylvaneth and Stormcast player.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, crkhobbit said:

It's not a move.  It's a set-up.  One of the faqs says a set-up is not a move.

Do note that this also applies for controlling objectives in certain GHB scenarios. Deep striking a hero on the objective in Places of Arcane Power does not capture it, for example.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, tom_gore said:

Do note that this also applies for controlling objectives in certain GHB scenarios. Deep striking a hero on the objective in Places of Arcane Power does not capture it, for example.

Just thought that can't be right but then checked... you're spot on. Really need to remember that. 

On 7/24/2019 at 1:24 PM, tom_gore said:
Spoiler

Going to a small 3-round tournament this weekend. The list below is constructed according to what models I have painted, so I cannot really change them. I would have wanted to replace the castigators and the battalion with more bodies, but as said, it's not an option at the moment.

I usually put the ballistas, castigators and lord-ordinator into celestial realm to get them into a good firing position on round one. On top of that I usually leave the third unit of sequitors (that is not in the battalion) in reserve too, to force the opponent to leave units to his backlines to protect the objective(s) there.

What do you think of the Artefact/Trait/Spell choices? What about swapping the Phalanx to the Battery? What kind of "general strategy" would you use with this list?

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
Mortal Realm: Ghur
Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (220)
- General
- Trait: Staunch Defender 
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm 
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
- Mount Trait: Wind Runner
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Scrolls of Power (Artefact): Scroll of Condemnation
- Spell: Chain Lightning
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Stormcaller
Lord-Ordinator (140)
5 x Sequitors (130)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
- 2x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Sequitors (130)
5 x Sequitors (130)
5 x Evocators (220)
- 2x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Celestial Blades
5 x Evocators (220)
- 2x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Celestial Blades
6 x Castigators (160)
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)
Cleansing Phalanx (120)
Quicksilver Swords (30)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 108

So as predicted this list didn't do so well in the tournament. I lost to a Slaanesh hero-spam list and then to a Nagash list. Did manage to beat a Nurgle list because they didn't have much rend or MW output and had hard time getting through rerollable 2+/3+ saves. My earlier observations were also confirmed that Castigators are pretty useless and those 160 points could have been used a lot better.

I also noticed that even with the Lord Ordinator, two ballistae do not produce enough fire to seriously threaten tougher units. Even if they sniped two heroes off the table in the Slaanesh game.

On the other hands, Sequitors and Evocators are still good, despite of their points increase. So is the Gryph-Charger Lord and the Knight-Incantors. To that end, I've thought about changing my list to something like the one below.

What do you think? Another Stormhost that would fit better? Combine Sequitors into 1x 20 to save 70 points (and split liberators into 2x 5) and take more Endless Spells? Evocators as 1x 10 for resilience and hitting power or 2x 5 for two spells and dispels? Other suggestions?

Spoiler

- Stormhost: Hammers of Sigmar
- General
- Trait: We Cannot Fail 
- Artefact: God-forged Blade 
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Lighntning Blast
Knight-Incantor (140)
Knight-Incantor (140)
Lord-Relictor (100)
- Prayer: Translocation
10 x Sequitors (260)
- 5x Stormsmite Greatmaces
10 x Sequitors (260)
10 x Liberators (200)
- Warhammers
- 4x Grandhammers
10 x Evocators (440)
- 4x Grandstaves
Everblaze Comet (100)

Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 117

Edited by tom_gore

2 minutes ago, lare2 said:

Just thought that can't be right but then checked... you're spot on. Really need to remember that. 

And remind your opponent if he tries to pull that off. Teleporting is usually also remove and set up, not a move.

But every other kind of move is, including pile-in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tom_gore said:

So as predicted this list didn't do so well in the tournament. I lost to a Slaanesh hero-spam list and then to a Nagash list. Did manage to beat a Nurgle list because they didn't have much rend or MW output and had hard time getting through rerollable 2+/3+ saves. My earlier observations were also confirmed that Castigators are pretty useless and those 160 points could have been used a lot better.

I also noticed that even with the Lord Ordinator, two ballistae do not produce enough fire to seriously threaten tougher units. Even if they sniped two heroes off the table in the Slaanesh game.

On the other hands, Sequitors and Evocators are still good, despite of their points increase. So is the Gryph-Charger Lord and the Knight-Incantors. To that end, I've thought about changing my list to something like the one below.

What do you think? Another Stormhost that would fit better? Combine Sequitors into 1x 20 to save 70 points (and split liberators into 2x 5) and take more Endless Spells? Evocators as 1x 10 for resilience and hitting power or 2x 5 for two spells and dispels? Other suggestions?

Hide contents

- General
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Lighntning Blast
Knight-Incantor (140)
Knight-Incantor (140)
Lord-Relictor (100)
- Prayer: Translocation
10 x Sequitors (260)
10 x Sequitors (260)
10 x Liberators (200)
- Warhammers
- 4x Grandhammers
10 x Evocators (440)
- 4x Grandstaves
Everblaze Comet (100)

Wounds: 117

Put the Sequitors in 1x20, the Evocators in 1x10 the Liberators in 2x5 and drop one Incantor. Leaves you with 220 points for something mobile for objectives.

The Ordinator starts to pay off from 3 ballistae up, when at one or two, an extra ballista adds more damage (on average and assuming the Ordinator does nothing but buff).

Edited by Lucur

15 hours ago, Lucur said:

Put the Sequitors in 1x20, the Evocators in 1x10 the Liberators in 2x5 and drop one Incantor. Leaves you with 220 points for something mobile for objectives.

The Ordinator starts to pay off from 3 ballistae up, when at one or two, an extra ballista adds more damage (on average and assuming the Ordinator does nothing but buff).

What would you recommend for those 220 points? 6 Prosecutors? 2 Tempestors or desolators? 3 vanguard-palladors?

Or maybe something allied?

12 hours ago, tomcabator15 said:

I got some Vanguard-Palladors for cheap recently, whats everyone opinion on them? They seem like nice objective grabbers, back line harassers to me.

models are wonderful, for the kit the javelins I think are the better choice for harassing as even with axes they aren't that killy.

6 hours ago, tom_gore said:

What would you recommend for those 220 points? 6 Prosecutors? 2 Tempestors or desolators? 3 vanguard-palladors?

Or maybe something allied?

With 20 sequitors a Castellant (120) would be amazing. Heraldor (100) has good MW output utilizing faction terrain.

45 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

models are wonderful, for the kit the javelins I think are the better choice for harassing as even with axes they aren't that killy.

With 20 sequitors a Castellant (120) would be amazing. Heraldor (100) has good MW output utilizing faction terrain.

Yeah I can imagine the cringing of the enemy with the Castellant buffing the 20 sequitors and the Lord Arcanum sitting behind them, giving the We Cannot Fail 6+ extra save. But if I were to get a mobile unit for capturing objectives what would it be?

Of course the Relictor can make any unit "mobile", but a smart enemy will try to take him out at the earliest opportunity.

Aetherwings are wonderful, Prosecutors add a bit of ranged damage, Palladors would be a bit of a stretch, though they at least can do some damage in melee to backline units and heroes without crumbling. Don't forget a castellant would bring his good boy, too. So yeah, a Castellant and a squad of Prosecutors seems good to me.

I use the Palladors in one of two ways

1.  Buff them with a castellant and use them as a tar pit.  15 wounds big bases they can tie up some enemies for awhile.

2. Objective grabbers by riding the winds past the opponents units.

So with those suggestions, the list would look like this. How do you feel about the spell choices? Would another Stormhost (or no stormhost and Staunch Defender) be more effective? How to arm the Prosecutors? Hammers or Javelins?

Leaders
- General
- Mount Trait: Aethereal Stalker
Knight-Incantor (140)
Knight-Incantor (140)
Lord-Relictor (100)
Lord-Castellant (120)

Battleline
20 x Sequitors (440)
- 9x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
- 2x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
- 2x Grandhammers

Units
10 x Evocators (440)
- 4x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Speed of Lightning
3 x Prosecutors with Stormcall Javelins (90)
- 1x Stormsurge Tridents

Endless Spells / Terrain
Everblaze Comet (100)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Wounds: 124

What do you guys think of this list?

The point of the list is to output alot of mw through spamming lord arcanums CA, with brooch and tempest lord you get a chance to get back 2 cp for every CP you spend. 

Comet and dragons stars for sniping heroes.

Im taking this or anvilstrike to a tourney in november.

List building.pdf

Edited by Naprapaten

@tom_goreIn my experience Hammers of Sigmar is okay as a Stormhost. The 6++ is weaker than Staunch Defender, but it helps. The +1 bravery saved my butt more times than i could count, but it doesn't feel impactful. If the 5+ revive goes off on a unit of Sequitors, it might be game-winning, but is unreliable at best on a 5+.

The purely competitive choice would probably be Staunch Defender and an actual artefact ;) maybe an argument could be made for Anvils or Astral Templars, too.

9 minutes ago, Lucur said:

@tom_goreIn my experience Hammers of Sigmar is okay as a Stormhost. The 6++ is weaker than Staunch Defender, but it helps. The +1 bravery saved my butt more times than i could count, but it doesn't feel impactful. If the 5+ revive goes off on a unit of Sequitors, it might be game-winning, but is unreliable at best on a 5+.

The purely competitive choice would probably be Staunch Defender and an actual artefact ;) maybe an argument could be made for Anvils or Astral Templars, too.

Yeah. I'm unconvinced many armies could even remove that 20-strong unit of Sequitors buffed by the Castellant in a game anyway.

So let's continue the mind game. If I would to choose no stormhost and pick Staunch Defender (yeah good luck trying to get rid of the sequitors now), which Artefact would you choose?

I've been leaning on Gryph-Feather charm since it works wonders in keeping the General alive against shooting and even melee, but against M-W spamming armies it does nothing.

On 7/28/2019 at 5:50 PM, kuroyume said:

A couple of things I've noticed so far:

- The shield ability for the Stardrake is missing

- Gavriel Surehearts command ability is showing the old wording (unit within 9", newest wording is unit wholly within 12")

thanks for your hard work

Another thing I notices (but maybe I am blind) is that the Evocator's ability seems to be missing. 

1 hour ago, Naem said:

Another thing I notices (but maybe I am blind) is that the Evocator's ability seems to be missing. 

Which one? I can review tonight.

/edit/ maybe "Empower"? It's a spell and I haven't added those (until there's support for spell lores/prayers) but perhaps spells on warscrolls should be treated as abilities and not as spells from spell lores?

Edited by Turragor