AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

1 minute ago, jhamslam said:

Paging the pro  @PJetski himself.

Given a choice between the spellweaver and incantor , is there any real reason to take the incantor. Both have auto dispel, but the incantor can suicide charge into a horde for mw output i suppose. Is it worth the extra 40, when all we're doing is casting endless spells with em most of the time?

This is actually something I have been thinking about lately, and ultimately it depends what you are going to do with that hero and what the rest of your list looks like. Here's a bunch of random thoughts with no particular sequence:

• If you have no realm spells or endless spells then the Spellweaver isn't casting anything except Arcane Bolt and Mystic Shield, which is a poor use of 100pt.
  • Keywords are also important here - only STORMCAST heroes can activate the command abilities from Stormhosts.
  • Allied units can't take artefacts, can't be put in reserve with Scions, and can't benefit from most of our abilities
  • Spirit Flasks is not worth 40 points on its own but it's a good ability - doing 3d3 mw can swing a combat in your favour. If you are going to die you may as well drop the flasks.
  • 3+ save won't save you against any significant damage, but the 3+ save is handy when you have that hero holding an objective and there is light damage or shooting coming your way. Reliably killing a 3+ save hero requires more than just some chaff units. 

I think if If you already have 1 Incantor and plan on casting Geminids or a realm spell every turn then you can bring a Spellweaver. In a list like Anvilstrike you really need that STORMCAST keyword to activate the command ability.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, PJetski said:

This is actually something I have been thinking about lately, and ultimately it depends what you are going to do with that hero and what the rest of your list looks like. Here's a bunch of random thoughts with no particular sequence:

• If you have no realm spells or endless spells then the Spellweaver isn't casting anything except Arcane Bolt and Mystic Shield, which is a poor use of 100pt.
  • Keywords are also important here - only STORMCAST heroes can activate the command abilities from Stormhosts.
  • Allied units can't take artefacts, can't be put in reserve with Scions, and can't benefit from most of our abilities
  • Spirit Flasks is not worth 40 points on its own but it's a good ability - doing 3d3 mw can swing a combat in your favour. If you are going to die you may as well drop the flasks.
  • 3+ save won't save you against any significant damage, but the 3+ save is handy when you have that hero holding an objective and there is light damage or shooting coming your way. Reliably killing a 3+ save hero requires more than just some chaff units. 

I think if If you already have 1 Incantor and plan on casting Geminids or a realm spell every turn then you can bring a Spellweaver. In a list like Anvilstrike you really need that STORMCAST keyword to activate the command ability.

Yeah i hadnt considered the Anvils ability and of course the fact that your spellweaver cant do things like Lightning Blast

Does anyone here have a lot of experience with Skyborne Slayers? I thought I was a bit clever-pants with this list, which only deploys an Azyros and Aetherwings on the actual field of battle. But it seems to me that any army with a decent number of bodies can just spread throughout the field and prevent key Heroes/Monsters from being 5"-charged and assassinated (don't even want to think about Total Commitment...) Thoughts/experiences?

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Anvils of the Heldenhammer
Lord-Veritant (120)
- General
- Trait: Deathly Aura 
- Prayer: Translocation
Lord-Celestant (100)
- Artefact: Sword of Judgement 
Knight-Azyros (100)
- Artefact: Soulthief 
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warblade & Shield
- 1x Grandblades
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warblade & Shield
- 1x Grandblades
5 x Judicators (160)
- Boltstorm Crossbows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Boltstorm Crossbows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Protectors (180)
- 2x Starsoul Maces
5 x Decimators (180)
- 2x Starsoul Maces
9 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (510)
3 x Aetherwings (50)
Skyborne Slayers (190)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 110

18 hours ago, GlanceOnASix said:

Astral Templars
Castellant - General
Veritant - Bless Weapons
Ordinator
Azyros - Godbeast Plate
Incantor - Halo Spell

3x5 Libs
4xListas
1x6 Desolators

Dias Arcanum

That's really cool. The Desolators unit is a great recipient of Bless Weapons.

15 hours ago, PJetski said:

Great list. Are you expecting a monster meta?

If the lists are anything to go by from my quick viewing SCE shooting and FEC are the two most played armies. 

FEC aint surprising , powerful and INCREDIBLY easy to collect build and play

Hey les copains (friends in my language. Pain is bread, co-pain, people who with you share bread).

What's the consensus on evocators. Prime with grandstaff and the rest with staves+blades ? Everybody full Staves+blades ? I'm looking at maximising dps output on all comers.

18 minutes ago, Maturin said:

Hey les copains (friends in my language. Pain is bread, co-pain, people who with you share bread).

What's the consensus on evocators. Prime with grandstaff and the rest with staves+blades ? Everybody full Staves+blades ? I'm looking at maximising dps output on all comers.

Hey! Although I'm a beginner, I remember a post where someone did the maths, and grandstaffs were the better choice. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. 

22 minutes ago, EngraBlackSword said:

Hey! Although I'm a beginner, I remember a post where someone did the maths, and grandstaffs were the better choice. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. 

I don't know about the wizards on lizards, but the on foot guys are better with the staves since they have longer range.

Edited by stus67

1 hour ago, stus67 said:

I don't know about the wizards on lizards, but the on foot guys are better with the staves since they have longer range.

Is range worth worrying about with a 5 man unit or is it something we should take in account starting at a 10 man unit ?

2 hours ago, EngraBlackSword said:

Ok thanks :)

18 hours ago, daviseford said:

Hey guys, 

I'm very pleased to announce that we've added Stormcast Eternals to AoS Reminders

SCE were definitely a very highly requested army, and after seeing the amount of rules involved, I totally understand.

If you haven't used AoS Reminders before, it's an automated cheat-sheet for your army! Give it a whirl!

+1

I added the SC so you can let me know if I missed FAQ entries or whatnot. There's so much SCE content to add that it would be easy for me to have got mixed up at least once :)

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Maturin said:

Is range worth worrying about with a 5 man unit or is it something we should take in account starting at a 10 man unit ?

Ok thanks :)

Against 2+ saves blades are better, against 3+ sv blade and stave are equal, against anything else staves pull ahead. The blades have an advantage in variance, as they have more 1 damage attacks (you can't do just 1 damage with a stave attack, it's 2 or 0). Overall staves are the better choice, lightning arcs will take care of armored targets, the reach is nice and anti horde is not something that comes easy to most SC lists.

That went longer than i intended...  :D

Edited by Lucur
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Martijn de Bruin said:

The Stormhost artefacts are missing.

If you take a Stormhost (in traits dropdown), the artefact, command trait and extra abilities are automatically added.

image.png.5eeb78ec329d2d40fb7b11e9822fb300.png

image.png.516a59292c7b70282ffc349af0fc0fe8.png

Matches the other subfaction implementations (eg FEC) already added and is probably the best way until the site supports subfaction allegiances.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Turragor said:

I added the SC so you can let me know if I missed FAQ entries or whatnot. There's so much SCE content to add that it would be easy for me to have got mixed up at least once :)

A couple of things I've noticed so far:

- The shield ability for the Stardrake is missing

- Gavriel Surehearts command ability is showing the old wording (unit within 9", newest wording is unit wholly within 12")

thanks for your hard work

Edited by kuroyume

1 hour ago, kuroyume said:

- Gavriel Surehearts command ability is showing the old wording (unit within 9", newest wording is unit wholly within 12")

Ordinator hit buff works in combat phase, also.  Them ballista knives get work done.

2 hours ago, kuroyume said:

33 minutes ago, crkhobbit said:

Ordinator hit buff works in combat phase, also.  Them ballista knives get work done.

Changes made, will be committed soon I hope!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JaffaBones said:

Well done! Amazing contribution, thank you! 

I've noticed the Aquilor CA showing up in the hero phase, rather than end of movement phase. Everything else is solid! 

I've fixed that, change live now!

Edited by Turragor

I have a question about the Lord-Aquilor's Lord of the Azyrite Hurricane command ability: I know it happens at the end of the movement phase, but does it count as a move for the Lord and the unit he takes with him? If I have a unit of Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows, and they don't move in the movement phase but get teleported at the end of it, do they get the advantage of Rapid Fire (ie, getting three more shots per model when they don't move in the movement phase)?

11 minutes ago, Zamik said:

I have a question about the Lord-Aquilor's Lord of the Azyrite Hurricane command ability: I know it happens at the end of the movement phase, but does it count as a move for the Lord and the unit he takes with him? If I have a unit of Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows, and they don't move in the movement phase but get teleported at the end of it, do they get the advantage of Rapid Fire (ie, getting three more shots per model when they don't move in the movement phase)?

It's not a move.  It's a set-up.  One of the faqs says a set-up is not a move.

• Like 1