AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

15 hours ago, Lionheart said:

Thx for the answer, but there is an official source i can show at my local group? They want it =/

Ask them to show you where it's written that he can only pray once? The only restriction you'll find anywhere is "either Heal or /Lightning prayer" and then the other prayer he knows. The Relictor has been around and established in regards to this.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jhamslam said:

That Vanguard Hunter unit seemed weird to me. Id rather have a celestian vortex or Quicksilver swords for horde clearance since most hordes you will see are Chaos now. with the exception of gitz

Thanks for the input. You're totally right with your horde assessment. I'm flirting with the vortex since my loss too Tzeentch Changehost. I'd love to do that, but I can't find fat to shed. Maybe you can point out how you would swap in the vortex. The hunters fill a Battleline spot. Swapping them frees up a mere 10p. However, the 10p allow them to flank and shoot/charge. I always flank them and get much more value out of them then objective holding liberators.

16 hours ago, Lionheart said:

Thx for the answer, but there is an official source i can show at my local group? They want it =/

First of all, his warscroll abilities aren't prayers.  They just function similarly.

Secondly, even if they were - this is covered in the faq:
"Q: If a Priest knows more than one prayer, can it attempt to chant each of them? A: Yes, as long as no other restrictions apply."

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/age_of_sigmar_core_rules_designers_commentary_en-1.pdf

Page 9

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Marzillius said:

I've been playing around some more with a Grand Convocation list:

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum (160)
- General
- Trait: Staunch Defender 
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales 
- Spell: Celestial Blades
Lord-Exorcist (120)
- Spell: Lighntning Blast
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Scrolls of Power (Artefact): Storm Scroll
- Spell: Chain Lightning
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Stormcaller
Lord-Castellant (120)

Battleline
20 x Sequitors (440)
- Tempest Blades and Soulshields
- 9x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers

Units
2 x Concussors (240)

Battalions
Grand Convocation (130)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Aethervoid Pendulum (50)
Celestian Vortex (40)
Everblaze Comet (100)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (60)
Purple Sun of Shyish (50)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 97

Here are some thoughts. I've played against Idoneth, Skaven and Flesh-Eater Courts and won them all except against FEC (which was extremely close, I only lost because he won last initiative roll and thus got 1 more point than me on Focal Points, his army was basically dead).  The mainstay of the army is the 2+ save block of Sequitors who can tank and destroy almost anything that charges them. Unless you have a ton of mortal wounds or a ton of rend -2 attacks you're not going to kill this unit, and they are going to kill you. The exception is of course if several Terrorgheists charge them at the same time, then they're dead. I have Ignax's Scales on the Arcanum to make sure the Staunch Defender is not sniped. I've played around with the Storm Scroll as my second artifact, there are almost always 6 enemy units which would be good to hit with it; support heroes, monsters that can be degraded, small screens that could be softened up to get to the juicy stuff behind the screen. I've never been disappointed in the Storm Scroll, it always hits something useful.

Having 2 Dispel Scrolls is godlike and wins games. The wizards are actually really good in combat. The Comet combined with Geminids is great for sniping characters and weakening the opponents army, making their charge into the Sequitors basically suicide. The Purple Sun has continually disappointed me, it has so far managed to kill 5 Ghouls, make a Stormfiend flee and killed 3 of my own Sequitors. When you have to move up and charge the opponents it just gets in the way and will probably kill you as much as it will kill the enemy. It should in theory be really good against Fyreslayers though, so it should be good to keep around. The Celesitan Vortex's range has not impressed me. It's mostly there to serve as a tool against shooting armies, but the 1" range on damage dealing is so bad, it's only a 21" threat range so it's not usuable in round 1. If you face a shooting army it just removes a spell from an opposing wizard as they will just dispel it before their shooting phase so the -1 to hit doesn't do anything. Maybe I should just run Quicksilver Swords to snipe Chaos heroes? 

The 2-man unit of Concussors are really good. They move up the flank and take lightly defended points. The enemy has to commit heavy damage to kill them as 10 wounds with 3+ save re-rolling 1s aren't going to be killed by some 4+ 4+ no rend attacks. The army lacks in mobility and objective playing, it deals heavy damage in the hero phase and combat phase and tanks charges like no one else, but without any teleports or fast units you just can't win the late game objective game against a faster enemy. I've been considering exchanging the Concussors and a spell for 3 3-man units of Prosecutors, but then you move up to 8 drops which is a major disadvantage compared to only having 6. How would you go about improving the mobility of the army without compromising the theme or the tanky Sequitor block?

I'm a huge fan of the GC archtype.  I like the mix in of SD as well to just be a huge brick.  The Concussors are really cool (I don't have any of those type) one advantage of SD though is putting the model with a larger base to cover more ground.  I wonder if the LAoT would be something to try out.  Hmmm this gets me thinking.  Obviously some points would need to be moved around.  But could be cool to have a large flying goat....

On 7/13/2019 at 12:17 PM, frostfire said:

Is staunch defender build coming back to its old days now? 

I dont know that it was gone. In our local meta at least it is still the no. 1 build. I played some games with my standard list recently being:

LEADERS

Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (220)

Lord-Relictor (100)

Lord-Ordinator (140)

UNITS

10 x Sequitors (260) - Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields

5 x Sequitors (130) - Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields

5 x Liberators (100) - Warhammers

5 x Evocators (220)

5 x Evocators (220)

5 x Decimators (180)

WAR MACHINES

Celestar Ballista (110)

Celestar Ballista (110)

BATTALIONS

Cleansing Phalanx (120)

ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN

Celestian Vortex (40)

And there was a lot of winning. The missing 50 points i usually fill up with a situational endless spell. Maybe i would consider not taking the Phalanx and getting one more Ballista + not taking the Vortex then but instead I would have exactly the 100 points for the comet. I like the comet, it makes things go BOOOM and WOAAAASH and the enemy looks mad so I find it to be a good spell :P 

Edited by Naem

3 hours ago, Naem said:

I like the comet, it makes things go BOOOM and WOAAAASH and the enemy looks mad so I find it to be a good spell :P 

Whenever I run lists past my group and question dropping the comet for other things they usually respond with "Why? We hate it." Mortal wound output aside (which is great) it just messes with their deployment and movement so much.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, crkhobbit said:

I'd drop it because I apparently can't roll higher than a 4 to cast spells.

That's enough! You just need to be sat on Arcane, within 18" of a Stardrake and outside of the enemy unbinding range. Easy.

• Haha 4

On 7/14/2019 at 4:54 PM, Marzillius said:

I've been considering exchanging the Concussors and a spell for 3 3-man units of Prosecutors, but then you move up to 8 drops which is a major disadvantage

What about just a 9 man unit of prosecutors. Takes up more spade than concussors still 1 drop and still durable against 3+ 4+ - chaff units

dont get too hung up on the special weapons of prosecutors once you accept they suck at damage you’ll start finding way more useful ways to use them. I typically run mine most turns as it gives them mobility that the army really lacks. I also only use them in mixed order/ko lists so it might be different

think of em like light cavalry or gyro copters from old warhammer fantasy battles. Theyre really mobile chaff. Throw em anywhere you want to break a charge. It works exceptionally well in this army as the spells get a whole extra turn to wail on em. 

Edited by Bozly
  • LOVE IT! 1

Interesting question - I do own a unit of the guys but never ever played them. I wonder what they are supposed to be good for as they clearly suck in damage and of course do have mobility but i have Translocate for that and also the usual drops. Maybe 9 is too much but 6 or even just 3 for objectives and the strategy you described above may work just fine. 

In combination with my trusty Comet you can really mess up your opponent's map control. Plus i really do love the models and am quite sad that i never use them. 

Edited by Naem

Hello everyone. I would like to know the guidelines for playing the Anvilstrike list, like the deployment (what to put in reserve and if put anything at all there), best targets for the raptors, which turn should i choose/hope for at the beginning of the battle, some general advice in short.

I'm playing a 1500 pt. version of the classic list (cause in my local store they play around 1500 for now, maybe september we will upgrade our lists to 2k) and it looks like that:

• 1 Incantor (general) 
  • 1 Azyros 
  • 1 Relictor (with translocation)
  • 3 x 5 Liberators
  • 1 x 5 Evocators
  • 1 x 3 Aetherwings
  • 1 x 9 Vanguard Raptors
  • geminids of uhl-gysh

• Like 1

Seems like my local meta has finally started to shift towards shooting... The 32 player event this weekend has 3 Anvilstrike lists, some ballista drop lists, 3 Skaven lists with 9x WLC, only 3 FEC (2 of which have zero monsters), and only 1 Slaanesh.

15 minutes ago, PJetski said:

Seems like my local meta has finally started to shift towards shooting... The 32 player event this weekend has 3 Anvilstrike lists, some ballista drop lists, 3 Skaven lists with 9x WLC, only 3 FEC (2 of which have zero monsters), and only 1 Slaanesh.

It was bound to happen. Anvilstrike lists just took a couple of major tournaments recently including the team ATC one. Back to the drawing board. Its still damn strong, its just that aside from Slaanesh, Gristlegore monsters arent the meta anymore and can be beaten easily by even melee focused armies. 

3 Ballistas was always semi decent. With the points increases , i can see Skaven going the 120 monks way or Skyre machinery.

Ive adjusted by taking out the incantors and putting in spellweavers and a lord aquilor for more movement. Also gives us access to vanguard hunters. Im also toying with 3 hurricane raptors to take out small hordes/ weak save artiller or Order Allies like the cannon and organ gun alongwith the 80 point engineer.

2 hours ago, Lionheart said:

Hello everyone. I would like to know the guidelines for playing the Anvilstrike list, like the deployment (what to put in reserve and if put anything at all there), best targets for the raptors, which turn should i choose/hope for at the beginning of the battle, some general advice in short.

I'm playing a 1500 pt. version of the classic list (cause in my local store they play around 1500 for now, maybe september we will upgrade our lists to 2k) and it looks like that:

• 1 Incantor (general) 
  • 1 Azyros 
  • 1 Relictor (with translocation)
  • 3 x 5 Liberators
  • 1 x 5 Evocators
  • 1 x 3 Aetherwings
  • 1 x 9 Vanguard Raptors
  • geminids of uhl-gysh

Very interested in the feedback about this, I'm in a similar situation. And I'm thinking about going with a similar list as this one or try out some sacrosant or ballistas one.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, jhamslam said:

Forgot to mention. Im also bringing the celestian vortex now whenever i can . The ability to mess up opponent shooting is great

In my experience it's not even worth casting since it can be negated by simply moving >6" away from the model before shooting, and there's a chance they can come back to harm you. If you want to stop shooting you should run stuff like Tempestors (12" -1 hit aura, harder to remove), Fulminators (+1 save against shooting), and Geminids (-1 hit debuff that sticks).

Also worth mentioning that hit debuffs do nothing against WLC and Thundertusks, don't do enough to stop Longstrikes since they hit on 2+ and get mortal wounds on unmodified 6, but they are great against Jezzails, Skyfires (kinda), Auric Hearthguard, Dracoths, Shootas, and Ballistae.

Edited by PJetski

15 minutes ago, PJetski said:

In my experience it's not even worth casting since it can be negated by simply moving >6" away from the model before shooting, and there's a chance they can come back to harm you. If you want to stop shooting you should run stuff like Tempestors (12" -1 hit aura, harder to remove), Fulminators (+1 save against shooting), and Geminids (-1 hit debuff that sticks).

Also worth mentioning that hit debuffs do nothing against WLC and Thundertusks, don't do enough to stop Longstrikes since they hit on 2+ and get mortal wounds on unmodified 6, but they are great against Jezzails, Skyfires (kinda), Auric Hearthguard, Dracoths, Shootas, and Ballistae.

Youre probably right i was mainly going for it if i dont find 60 points for geminids. Ive found that Incantor isnt useful outside the auto dispell so maybe switching to  one spellweaver +incantor or 2 spellweavers is the right call for the auto dispell and casting geminids over and over. 

Out of curiosity , whats your gameplan against a plague monk spam or a 9 WLC spam?

17 hours ago, jhamslam said:

Youre probably right i was mainly going for it if i dont find 60 points for geminids. Ive found that Incantor isnt useful outside the auto dispell so maybe switching to  one spellweaver +incantor or 2 spellweavers is the right call for the auto dispell and casting geminids over and over. 

Out of curiosity , whats your gameplan against a plague monk spam or a 9 WLC spam?

Plague Monks are a slow melee unit with paper thin defenses. Don't let them get the charge on any unit that matters and you'll be fine. Try not to engage them with melee weapons since you'll take a bunch of mortal wounds back (evocator lightning blast avoids this ability since it's not a melee weapon). Avoid killing them in melee altogether if they have Death Frenzy - it's worth using a dispel scroll on Frenzy if you plan on engaging them in melee.

You can't bring more than 4 WLC at 2000pt so I'm not sure how that is a problem. Do you mean 9x Jezzails?

Edited by PJetski

33 minutes ago, PJetski said:

Plague Monks are a slow melee unit with paper thin defenses. Don't let them get the charge on any unit that matters and you'll be fine. Try not to engage them with melee weapons since you'll take a bunch of mortal wounds back (evocator lightning blast avoids this ability since it's not a melee weapon). Avoid killing them in melee altogether if they have Death Frenzy - it's worth using a dispel scroll on Frenzy if you plan on engaging them in melee.

You can't bring more than 4 WLC at 2000pt so I'm not sure how that is a problem. Do you mean 9x Jezzails?

Yeah met a player briging 9 Jezzails and 3 WLC. Whats the priority here?

The plague monk advice is sound, i mostly just run away from them and use endless spells and shooting to deal with em

17 minutes ago, jhamslam said:

Yeah met a player briging 9 Jezzails and 3 WLC. Whats the priority here?

The plague monk advice is sound, i mostly just run away from them and use endless spells and shooting to deal with em

When I play Anvilstrike, or any list with any reliance on shooting like Thunderquake or Lofnir, the priority is to always be winning the ranged war because that's how you win the 5 round objective game. You need to make sure your shooting is unmolested while their shooting is disrupted. You can do this either by superior positioning, like keeping key units out of sight/range of their shooting, heavily reducing effectiveness by debuffing, or by prioritizing killing their shooting units without risking the loss of your own.

Longstrike vs Jezzail the advantage goes to Longstrikes because you can either deploy them out of range or off the table, then teleport/drop where you need to be in order to shoot the Jezzails. Lists with 9x Jezzails typically lack the bodies to completely zone you out of shooting range. If their positioning is exceptional and you can't kill the Jezzails then make sure you charge into them to tie down their shooting for at least a round (Aetherwings are great for this since they have a 12" fly move and a small footprint).

Shooting vs Shooting is a very difficult matchup and Stormcast have a tremendous advantage over other armies because of our unique positioning tools.

Edited by PJetski
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1