AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

42 minutes ago, Heijoshin said:

Any information how I could approach this would be great! Not sure how the Dark Elves play, but I hear that the Executioners just tear things to shreds, so my initial idea was to focus on save rolls and healing potentially. 

Such match-up heavily depends on how experienced your friend is, because Executioners are easily countered by -1 to hit (Their thing is dealing 2 MWs on a 6+ to hit, outside of that they are 1 damage with no rend)
Outside of that tip, you can just walk through them with ease, Covens aren't very good and it will take a lot of skill and, quite possibly, allies, to make them dangerous to SCE

41 minutes ago, Heijoshin said:

Stormhost - Hammers of Sigmar

Leaders: 

Lord Arc. on Gryph Charger - General
- CT: We cannot fail
- Art. : God-forged blade
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
- Mount Trait (I have no idea)

Knight Incantor
- Spell: Stormcaller

3rd Leader (I thought about a Lord-Castellant? or a Lord Relictor?)

Units:

5  Liberators

15 Sequitors (can be split into 2 or 3 groups also I guess)

5 Evocators
- Spell: Speed of Lightning (Can Evos take something from the LoI? 1d4chan says so, but the Warscrolsl doesn't say anything)

3-6 Castigators (depends on if I take this 3rd Hero or not)

War Machines: 

Celestar Ballista

Celestar Ballista

Any information how I could approach this would be great! Not sure how the Dark Elves play, but I hear that the Executioners just tear things to shreds, so my initial idea was to focus on save rolls and healing potentially. 

Thanks for any help! 

A lot of people here will argue not to go Hammers of Sigmar unless you're using a named character that requires it, however nothing feels better than bringing back a large unit of Sequitors when they die. For a casual game when it goes off it's hilarious and game changing, and an easy stormhost to learn with.

Mount trait: Wind Runner is my go-to. The extra dice could be the difference in stealing an objective.

3rd leader: They're both great choices which you can't go wrong with. If you pick the Relictor, give him Translocation.

Would this list require 2 battleline at 1500 points? Depends on what you've agreed to play of course.

Evocators spells: Yes they most certainly can and that's my usual choice.

Castigators: The more you can replace with anything else the better.

Hope this helps.

48 minutes ago, Heijoshin said:

Units:

5  Liberators

15 Sequitors (can be split into 2 or 3 groups also I guess)

5 Evocators
- Spell: Speed of Lightning (Can Evos take something from the LoI? 1d4chan says so, but the Warscrolsl doesn't say anything)

3-6 Castigators (depends on if I take this 3rd Hero or not

It would be better to run your liberators 2x10 so they have some staying power. A 5 man unit is easily destroyed. Use a castellan, and try to keep them wholly within 9 inch of him so they benefit from a +1 to their save from his aura, that will make them more resilient!

Edited by Maturin

56 minutes ago, XReN said:

Such match-up heavily depends on how experienced your friend is, because Executioners are easily countered by -1 to hit (Their thing is dealing 2 MWs on a 6+ to hit, outside of that they are 1 damage with no rend)
Outside of that tip, you can just walk through them with ease, Covens aren't very good and it will take a lot of skill and, quite possibly, allies, to make them dangerous to SCE

I think they have played a few games with the Dark Elves, and more so for AoS in general and its basically my first real game. Thanks for the tip though! Whats the best way to give that -1 to hit? 

Looking forward to finally have a full game. 

55 minutes ago, Siorra said:

A lot of people here will argue not to go Hammers of Sigmar unless you're using a named character that requires it, however nothing feels better than bringing back a large unit of Sequitors when they die. For a casual game when it goes off it's hilarious and game changing, and an easy stormhost to learn with.

Mount trait: Wind Runner is my go-to. The extra dice could be the difference in stealing an objective.

3rd leader: They're both great choices which you can't go wrong with. If you pick the Relictor, give him Translocation.

Would this list require 2 battleline at 1500 points? Depends on what you've agreed to play of course.

Evocators spells: Yes they most certainly can and that's my usual choice.

Castigators: The more you can replace with anything else the better.

Hope this helps.

What would be a good alternative do you think if not going Hammers of Sigmar?  I did choose this one for the ability to bring them back, as I thought that would get some shocks if it goes off! 

Thanks for the Mount trait tip! I guess I should try and keep my Lord Arcanum close by to the frontlines? 

Both the Castellant and the Relictor seem really cool and its hard to decide on either to be honest. 

And are Castas really that bad? I have a group of 5 that I can maybe proxy as Judicators instead. Or I can take all of them out and see if I can squeeze in another hero. What do you think? 

And lastly, its a 1.5k game, but with 2 battlelines, but I guess 5 libs, 5 seqs, 10 seqs would be the best solution for battleline? Could perhaps proxy 5 libs as seqs or vica versa? 

And actually the last thing: Thanks for the help! 

54 minutes ago, Maturin said:

It would be better to run your liberators 2x10 so they have some staying power. A 5 man unit is easily destroyed. Use a castellan, and try to keep them wholly within 9 inch of him so they benefit from a +1 to their save from his aura, that will make them more resilient!

Wish I had another set of Libs, but only have the 5. I guess my battleline will be 5 Libs, 5 Seqs, 10 seqs. I could support the libs more with heroes perhaps? Or could just proxy 5 seqs as 5 libs or vica versa?

Thanks for your help!

Edited by Heijoshin
More info added

17 minutes ago, Heijoshin said:

Wish I had another set of Libs, but only have the 5. I guess my battleline will be 5 Libs, 5 Seqs, 10 seqs. I could support the libs more with heroes perhaps? Or could just proxy 5 seqs as 5 libs or vica versa?

Thanks for your help!

Sorry I'm tired, I read liberators instead of sequitors.

Edited by Maturin

50 minutes ago, Heijoshin said:

I think they have played a few games with the Dark Elves, and more so for AoS in general and its basically my first real game. Thanks for the tip though! Whats the best way to give that -1 to hit? 

Looking forward to finally have a full game. 

Lord Relictor's signature prayer is -1 to hit (and you can take Divine Light prayer along to force opponent to reroll any 6s to hit against a unit you buff with this Prayer) and Lord Arcanum on foot has a spell to give -1 to hit. 

Also on a turn our units come in from reserve they get -1 to hit them, so you can attempt to charge into Executioners like so without fear

Aaand you can put any -1 to hit artefact on a hero and just tank those guys, if you make this hero 2+ rerolling saves - even better

1 hour ago, Siorra said:

I ran HoS for my first tournament and I'd definitely agree, while hard to land the 5+, it can be a game changer especially since i run a group of 10 sequitors and it popped off on them. However i also gind that the 6+fnp pairs great with an arcanum who is close to to not only revive a fallen model and provide that 6+fnp, but i bubble the castellants ward as i azerite Halo a unit in a hero phase. Also. Running cleansing phalanx, i CA my arcanum to get enpower of automatically without being able to be dispelled. A lot at once but the overall combo looks like this :

-10 block sequitors empowered (re-roll all failed hits and wounds), Azerite Halo ( 6+ save deals mw back to enemy), Castellant bubble (+1 to save, 7+ heals 1 wound) and if Arcanum is close enough, 6+fnp after wounds are distributed.

then once in combat i bolster the shields to be able to re-roll all saves. Not only am i re-rolling all hits and wounds, now i get to re-roll all failed saves (saves of 1 to 3 however, re -roll activates before end for us...). So not only am i guaranteed massive damage, but also the possibility of mw on my 7+ saves, a heal on 6+ saves, and finally fnp on 6+after mw allocation.  Now for models that do fall, HoS gives me a +1 bravery where i have yet to fail any checks...yet...

Downside, im relying on 2 heroes next to my 1 big unit to be able to pull this off if they arent plucked off first. Also, the artifact is dull, luckily i can grab a second one with my battalion 

Upside, im pulling off huge wounds and possible great saves. If they fall, pray for that 5+ 🤣 then teleport anywhere! 

I usually run a group of evocators that i try to translocation with my relictor to be able to flank the same unit that 10 block is harrasing but i only do this if i know they wont get flanked back in return. 

Just a personal opinion, but i feel HoS can be competitive if done with the right heroes and units. The only other thing i hate about HoS besides the artifact, the full squad revive can only be done on sequitors...

So, let me tell you the story of Mr Noob. Mr Noob is a nice guy, willing to learn from his mistakes, lucky for him because he does a lot of them.
Mr Noob has only got a few liberators, a relictor, Lord celestant on Dracoth, a castellant, a knight incantor and some prosecutors.

So this is the story of Mr Noob aka Me.
AS all my SCE haven been rusting on sprues for quite some time, I decided to challenge myself and registedred into GW's Summer Throne of Skulls, but in order to play I had to build n paint 10 libs, 3 prosecutors, a knight and a castellant in the anvil scheme, the rest being part of a deal I made before and painted as Hammers of Sigmar.

So, after an initiation last week, I finally played and lost my first game, it was 1250 points game.

His list was : Tempest lords. LordAGCharger (Stormhost artifact), Knight incantor with lightning blast, 5 evocators, 2x5 hunters, 5 sequitors, Lord Ordinator with 2 ballistas

My list was : Lord Castellant General (Staunch Defender), Lord Relictor, Knight Incantor, LCelestantDracoth (Keen Clawed, Doppleganger Cloak), 2x10 Libs (2 Grandhammers each), 6 Prosecutors (1GH,1 Gaxe), Endless spell Dais, and extra CP.

I won deployment, scenario was the one where if by the start of turn 3 you own the two objectives, you win the game. I choosed the good side, where objo was between a forest and the round new Sigmarite terrain, but as it was my first game and I'm totally noob, I thought I had to be on the objective to keep it, so instead of deplying inside the big round terrain, which you have given me +1 on save, I just deployed in the open. And that deployment, costed me the game ... Plus one or two other mistakes, like thinking Staunch defender was activated and not an aura for ex!

So I let him start, because I wanted to deepstrike prosecutors, libs and LCD to destroy his balistas that he was gonna deepstrike.
And since I totally screwed my deployment, my 10 libs in the open, in front of my Castelland, relictor and Knight incantor, got downed to 5 by the end of his shooting and melee phase (DP Balistas and DP Hunters who shot me like I was a rabbit staring at the lights of a car, then hunters and General in melee).
His General was at 4 Wound left, thanks to lucky rolls made by my Greathammer remaining prime and his fellow lib.

****** my deployment, then thinking Staunch defender was activated but not an aura. What a great start! Do you think it stopped there ? Que nenni!

Then came my turn 1 :

Relictor failed BOTH prayers (divine light on his general, and Mortal wounds). Knight Incantor failed thundershock. Castellant put his lantern on the remaining libs. Deepstriked Prosecutors, libs and LCD. LCD made a lot of Mortal wounds,with his dracoth breath, 3 to the Ordinator, 1 to one balista, 4 to the other. LCD charged, 10 Libs charged evocators who were DP behing the hunters. PROSECUTORS FAILED THEIR 9 INCH CHARGE WITH A MAJESTIC 5 ON 3D6 CHARGE ROLL!!! Piled in with my 3 heroes.
Libs, Relictor, Knight Incantor failed to wound his Gryph charger General, who in return killed my relictor and that was the nail in the coffin, since I couldn't heal my LCD anymore.
I killed all hunters, his evocators made almost no damage (2 death max in my libs), my libs did 1 wound to this evocators and finally his lord ordinator dealt 2 wound  to my LCDracoth who didn't even manage to kill the balistas he charged.

His turn 2, he just wiped me out. Balistas firing into my LCD + Knight incantor targeting me with his spell who did 3 MW and I was done. Evocators ran through me like a hot knife in butter this turn, and with 1 libs left ... His general teleported back to safety on his objective where the Knight incantor was sitting behind 5 sequitors and 5 hunters. His hunters back in my place killed all but my Lib prime.

My turn, my 6 prosecutors shot is 2 wound left balista back to Azyr, then charged into his evocators, killing4 of them. Knight incantor went straight to Lord ordinator and remaining balista, did 2 MW with flask. Castellant was too far away to do anything.

End of my turn. His turn 3; He teleports a 5 man unit to the objective at my side, and wins immediatelay. He did 710 points worth of killing, and I, only 440.

What made me lose ? LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION. and of course the fact I'm a noob ;).

So tomorrow, I'll be playing the GW store manager, who's list is :

- Glotkin

- Lord of Blights

- 2x 5Blightkings

- 30 Plague bearers.

- Geminids endspell

And on friday I'll be playing against Ironjaws with something like :

- MAwcrusha

-6 or 8 big boars with puny orcs on top

- 2x 5 or 10man armoured orcs

- 1 Warchanter.

Any idea of what not to do against those lists? I know Plaguebearers are the ultimate tarpit!

Edited by Maturin

11 minutes ago, Maturin said:

- Glotkin

- Lord of Blights

- 2x 5Blightkings

- 30 Plague bearers.

- MAwcrusha

- 1 Warchanter.

Any idea of what not to do against those lists? I know Plaguebearers are the ultimate tarpit!

For against nurgle, you need some -1 hit debuff to make the BK useless and try to remove the glotkin as soon as possible, ignore the plague bearer.

21 minutes ago, HammerOfSigmar said:

For against nurgle, you need some -1 hit debuff to make the BK useless and try to remove the glotkin as soon as possible, ignore the plague bearer.

Divine light on relictor and thundershock should do the trick, If I can get them off! But downing his Glotkin fast enough is going to be tricky!

I think I'll write myself a summary of all the thing I shouldn't not forget tomorrow :

- You don't have to sit on top of objectives to control them.

- Staunch defender is an aura, it also benefits the Castellant, right ?

- Cover gives you +1 save, get inside, idiot.

Anything else :D ?

Edited by Maturin

1 hour ago, Maturin said:

- Glotkin

- Lord of Blights

- 2x 5Blightkings

- 30 Plague bearers.

- Geminids endspell

- MAwcrusha

- 1 Warchanter.

Against IJ, focus the mawcrusha hardcore! After that its as simple as not letting them fully destory a unit otherwise they'll activate smashing and bashing which allows another unit of theres to attack for free. 

26 minutes ago, Talunus said:

Against IJ, focus the mawcrusha hardcore! After that its as simple as not letting them fully destory a unit otherwise they'll activate smashing and bashing which allows another unit of theres to attack for free. 

Say I don't get the initiative, should I castle up with 10 libs, Lictors, Castelland Knight incantor on the table, with the libs to withstand the charge, buffed by my heros, then deepstriking the Lord/Prosecutors or should I send the Lord on Dracoth, buffed by castellan on the MawKrusha, with Prosecutors Deepstriking then charging ?

2 hours ago, Maturin said:

- Glotkin

- Lord of Blights

- 2x 5Blightkings

- 30 Plague bearers.

- Geminids endspell

- MAwcrusha

- 1 Warchanter.

Yeah bring a relictor put a lightning storm on them so their 6s dont explode into d3 hits.

Evocators , ballistas and incantor for the orcs

29 minutes ago, jhamslam said:

Yeah bring a relictor put a lightning storm on them so their 6s dont explode into d3 hits.

Evocators , ballistas and incantor for the orcs

Thank you guys for the replies. Sadly @jhamslam, the list is fixed for the rest of the tournament, and I don't own those models anyway ;)

1 hour ago, Maturin said:

Say I don't get the initiative, should I castle up with 10 libs, Lictors, Castelland Knight incantor on the table, with the libs to withstand the charge, buffed by my heros, then deepstriking the Lord/Prosecutors or should I send the Lord on Dracoth, buffed by castellan on the MawKrusha, with Prosecutors Deepstriking then charging ?

If he gets initiative for turn 1, just cross your fingers and pray 🤣 he'll hit hard and more than likely land every charge against you unless he breaks some off for objectives. Definitely pull of the lightning ability from relictor to give -1 to hit, few of their models do rend of 2 which are scary. Me personally, which will differ, id use tye prosecturos to screen and harrass with the libs protecting objectives. Lord on dracoth I'd use as a focus to his mawcrusha with castellant bubble on him only if no other units are nearby. Incantor, while my favorite becomes very situatuonal, save her auto dispell for denying hand of gork otherwise id try to damage and pick off things. Just watch out for the boar boys, they can be quite tanky 

• Like 1

On 7/10/2019 at 5:51 AM, jhamslam said:

123.JPG.e3edde6189ab70d63b4e692f8a270e56.JPG

This is AT

In Anvils I take 9 Longstrikes and 4 Desolators. Replace the Gryph Charger with another Incantor and put in an azyros.

Edit: Replace the castellant with a heraldor in the Anvils list.

That list posted to me looks like 1920pts to me? 🤔

• Like 1

I made another list rundown and I kinda like the idea behind it. Critique it so I know what to change before my next tournament: https://thehonestwargamer.com/aos-list-rundowns/choose-your-own-stormhost-adventure-desolators-edition/

The list is:

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals

- Stormhost: Astral Templars or Celestial Vindicators or Anvils of the Heldenhammer

Leaders

Drakesworn Templar (460)

- General
- Storm Lance
- Trait: Dauntless Hunters
- Artefact: Godbeast Plate
- Mount Trait: Lithe-limbed

Lord-Castellant (120)

Skink Starpriest (80) OR Excelsior Warpriest (80)

- Allies

Battleline

5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers

5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers

5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers

Units

6 x Desolators (600)
6 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (340)
3 x Aetherwings (50)
3 x Aetherwings (50)

Total: 2000 / 2000

Extra Command Points: 0

Allies: 80 / 400

Wounds: 109 (OR 110)

1 hour ago, Turragor said:

I made another list rundown and I kinda like the idea behind it. Critique it so I know what to change before my next tournament: https://thehonestwargamer.com/aos-list-rundowns/choose-your-own-stormhost-adventure-desolators-edition/

The list is:

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals

- Stormhost: Astral Templars or Celestial Vindicators or Anvils of the Heldenhammer

Leaders

Drakesworn Templar (460)

- General
- Storm Lance
- Trait: Dauntless Hunters
- Artefact: Godbeast Plate
- Mount Trait: Lithe-limbed

Lord-Castellant (120)

Skink Starpriest (80) OR Excelsior Warpriest (80)

- Allies

Battleline

5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers

5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers

5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers

Units

6 x Desolators (600)
6 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (340)
3 x Aetherwings (50)
3 x Aetherwings (50)

Total: 2000 / 2000

Extra Command Points: 0

Allies: 80 / 400

Wounds: 109 (OR 110)

I think if you are running Desolators + Drakesworn you want to take advantage of the +1 to cast, so bringing along some more wizards and some endless spells would be a good idea.

Longstrikes are really only worth using with Anvils stormhost and only in squads of 9+. You are better off spending 330 on Ballistas instead (and cutting the Aetherwings) especially if you are playing Astral Templars. 

6x Desolator + 9x Longstrike in an Anvils list is a great combo, but it's expensive and you need different support heroes (like a Castellant) so you don't have any room left for a Drakesworn.

• Thanks 1

On 7/10/2019 at 4:05 PM, xking said:

You play hallowed Knights for the lore and so you can yell "ONLY THE FAITHFUL"

While you opponent plays Nagash and keeps intoning: ‘Nagash is all, and all is Nagash’. You’ll be the life of the party 😂

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, PJetski said:

I think if you are running Desolators + Drakesworn you want to take advantage of the +1 to cast, so bringing along some more wizards and some endless spells would be a good idea.

Longstrikes are really only worth using with Anvils stormhost and only in squads of 9+. You are better off spending 330 on Ballistas instead (and cutting the Aetherwings) especially if you are playing Astral Templars.  

6x Desolator + 9x Longstrike in an Anvils list is a great combo, but it's expensive and you need different support heroes (like a Castellant) so you don't have any room left for a Drakesworn.

Thanks for the feedback! I get where you are coming from in terms of pure optimisation, but I'm always trying to find comfortable spaces between the most optimised choices where you still get good results but aren't just using your anvilstrike list or our other decent cookie cutter lists.

That's my jam when I mess with stormcast really, look at the 6000 pts or so that I have and build something different, fun, threatening and capable of podiums in small-mid tourneys once I know how to pilot them (but not winning v allcomers). So I always take the standard advice on these boards - "Take [x] where [x] totally changes what you're trying to present and/or is just the posters own favourite meta list" - with a pinch of salt. I like finding out for myself what absolutely doesn't work - to a certain extent.

One thing I want is to get the aetherwings running interference (as they do so well) and try that instead of the skink screens I liked using. To do so you need the raptors. What could be done is just take 3 - but smart opponents then know its just 6 wounds away from much less useful screens.

Another alternative is to take 6 x hurricanes. You can then drop the caster ally and take the Incantor for guaranteed unbind. Or you can add in an endless spell or two.

I'll admit I have only 1 unbuilt ballista and just haven't ever been motivated to build/acquire/paint more. Artillery bug hasn't bitten me yet.

Having played drake lists a lot and used a lot of different casters, Arcane Lineage is not the best thing about the dragon - though unbind* boosting is very nice.

Finally, your mention of support heroes puts me back on track with my other, sillier lists.  I want to risk more with 0 support heroes, inefficient though that will be! It opens up so many more unique (though inferior) lists.

*Now I think of it, the priest doesn't get the unbind boost as it's WIZARD keyworded (if I remember right). Hmm.

Edited by Turragor