AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Hello guys, need help with one question:

If a unit of Mighty Skullcrusher charge a unit of Vanguard Raptor (with the prime in it), wich ability have to be solved first, the one for the skullscrusher to inflict the MW on the charge or the one of the Raptors that inflict MW on the chargers?

3 hours ago, Lionheart said:

Hello guys, need help with one question:

If a unit of Mighty Skullcrusher charge a unit of Vanguard Raptor (with the prime in it), wich ability have to be solved first, the one for the skullscrusher to inflict the MW on the charge or the one of the Raptors that inflict MW on the chargers?

"Start of phase" order is determined by who has the turn. The person with the turn does all of their "start of phase" abilities first, then their opponent does theirs, if they still can.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, scrubyandwells said:

"Start of phase" order is determined by who has the turn. The person with the turn does all of their "start of phase" abilities first, then their opponent does theirs, if they still can.

Well, both the skullcrusher and raptor ability does not refer to the start of the phase, it refers to after the skullcrusher finishes its charge.

• Like 1

When you have abilities with the same timing then the player whose turn is taking place resolves all their effects first (in whatever order they want, as long as they all activate at the same time) then the other player resolves their effects.

Skullcrushers would get to deal their mortal wounds before the Raptors.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Looking for some advice. I'm playing in a two list event at the end of August and have decided on anvil strike as my primary list. I'm having trouble with my secondary list. I feel like anvil strike is weak into ghoul spam and skaven but I am also worried into thricefold befoulment. I have done well with it into deepkin and slaanesh so I'm not worried about those match ups with anvil strike. I have considered running cleansing phalanx but have not been able to practice into those lists so it's just theory crafting at this point. Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

26 minutes ago, Starlord-2814 said:

Looking for some advice. I'm playing in a two list event at the end of August and have decided on anvil strike as my primary list. I'm having trouble with my secondary list. I feel like anvil strike is weak into ghoul spam and skaven but I am also worried into thricefold befoulment. I have done well with it into deepkin and slaanesh so I'm not worried about those match ups with anvil strike. I have considered running cleansing phalanx but have not been able to practice into those lists so it's just theory crafting at this point. Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

Spoiler alert, I've only played once with SCE, I'm just starting them. But what about mixing Anvil and Cleansing Phalanx lists altogether ?

Something like that ?  :

"
Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals - Mortal Realm: Aqshy
- Stormhost: Anvils of the Heldenhammer
LEADERS M S W B
Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (220) 12" 3+ 7 9
- General
- Command Trait : Deathly Aura
- Artefact : Ignax's Scales
- Mount Trait : Aethereal Stalker
Lord-Castellant (120) 5" 3+ 6 9
- Artefact : Soulthief
Lord-Relictor (100) 4" 3+ 5 9
- Prayer : Translocation
UNITS M S W B
5 x Evocators (220) 5" 4+ 3 8
- 1 x Grandstaves
5 x Evocators (220) 5" 4+ 3 8
- 1 x Grandstaves
5 x Sequitors (130) 5" 4+ 2 7
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
- 3 x Stormsmite Greatmaces
9 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (510) 5" 4+ 2 7

BATTALIONS
Cleansing Phalanx (120)
ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN
Everblaze Comet (100)

TOTAL: 2000/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1 WOUNDS: 96
LEADERS: 3/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 0/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4
ARTEFACTS: 2/2 ALLIES: 0/400"

Played a 3 round tournament this past Saturday. I'll first post the list I used then the opponents I faced and how I did.

Storm Host: Hammers of Sigmar

-General: Lord Arcanum on Gryph Charger (God Forge Blade/ We will not fail/ Azerite Halo)

Lord Ordinator (Hammer of Might)

Lord Relictor (Translocation)

Lord Castellant

Battleline:

1x10 Sequitors (Cleansing Phalanx)

1x5 Sequitors (Cleansing Phalanx)

1x5 Sequitors

Warmachines:

x3 Ballista

Other:

2x5 Evocators (Cleansing Phalanx)

Battalion: Cleansing Phalanx

This was my very first tournament and I just have to say, the community around my area is really awesome. The comradery  was awesome, everyone always shared their list and how it worked, and the environment was such a great one to be apart of, not too mention the few pitchers of beer we all shared. I ended up getting 2 wins and 1 loss for this event, unfortionately I don't know what my total standing was at the end as the TO did not update the final round of BCP.... but I imagine I was around 9-12 out of 20 players as I was placed 11/12 after my second game which was a loss for me.

GAME 1: This first game was a gimme. We played Total Conquest. I played against another stormcast player who was also running a cleansing phalanx list, however; he decided to run alongside his LAoGC a Celestant on Drac. He took minimum sequitor units and 2 minimum evocators while also using the 3 ballista + ordinator. The Strangest part was he ran a unit of prosecutors. He had been playing the game the same length that I have been, about 6 months, but it was clear he still needed to learn some strategy. I deepstriked my ballistas, wiped his ordinator and 2 units of evos within 2 turns while my unit of 10 sequitors destroyed his Celes on Drac within 2 turns and stole his objective, gaining me 3 objectives. With most of his units either gone or down to a couple models he called game and I took my first Tournament Victory

GAME 2: This game was sooo difficult and not the first time I have played against this player. The Battle Plan was Starstrike, a very interesting battle plan I feel is made to end by the bottom of 3rd round, which it did in my case. I played against a Legion of Nagash list with Nagash, Archon, and another small wizard. he ran 2 units of wolves, a unit of grimghast reapers and some skeletons. Having played this player before, I knew he was a spell heavy army so I did my best to set up my heroes as far to the edge of my board as possible to keep out of range. He took 1st turn and...well...still managed to wipe all 4 of my heroes with spells alone.... The modifier he gets to spells is awesome and he dropped a spell mirror making his range incredible after using CP to even further the spells to reach certain heroes... With my heroes gone and no objective placed, he had moved his army almost with perfect sync, covering 9" from anywhere vital that I could drop my ballistas to sweep out of his nagash. He even moved units up enough so I was forced a total 20" away, not allowing the quad shot!! By my turn, I moved most of my units to hide on parts of the board until objectives dropped while my big block of sequitors and ballistas did work on his huge unit of grimghast. By second round and another incredible round of spells and rolling incredibly high casts, it was my turn to call it game by the bottom of the second round... This player is incredibly intelligent and a very cunning strategist while being a humble, awesome dude, the beers made up for the bruises lol. We discussed how I should try to formulate around his list and I think I might need to swap out a hero for an incantor to at least get one auto unbind and have 3 other wizards to help unbind (Don't forget, your evos can unbind until you only have 1 model). Also, It seems I should try to deepstrike my battalion with possibly a gavriel to attempt to bomb rush either archon or nagash, but again, he is incredibly cunning when moving his army around. 

GAME 3: Definitely my favorite game of the tournament! The Battle Plan was Total Commitment (boo) and my opponent was running Ironjaws with a boss on mawcrusha, a unit of pigs, a lot of ardboys and a couple other heroes. As with all other opponents, this player was incredibly nice in letting me know how his list ran and what I should focus on. I had also told him it was my first time (if you know what I mean) playing against orcs at all. Holy Shitake Mushrooms does that army move and crush! He took first turn and damn this game literally came down to rolls. He quickly destroyed my unit fof 10 sequitors after failing so many re-roll saves, however; I got super lucky on my 5+ roll to bring them back and with that I placed them right on top of his objective with his pigs nearby. This gave me the lead and I quickly annihilated his mawcrusher in my 1st turn with my ballistas. This matched lasted till the top of the 4th round of us just kicking each others asses and with me holding 3 objectives the majority of the game, I took home the win! His smash and bash can be brutal but his small units of ardboys cant stand up to a unit of evos. One great memory I will never forget was his 10 ardboys hitting on a unit of 5 sequitors, 3 still stood so on my turn i was able to land the translocation and flanked my evocators behind his orcs. making my charge, I decimated that unit. He also failed his last few important charges during turn 4 which meant the game for him.

Overall, as my first tournament, this was an incredible experience and and amazing group of people to have met. With part of the ceiling collapsing on 1 player, the beers shared along fellow gamers (and a few jello shots), and the support everyone brought to each other in the comradery and strategy talking, my love for this game has only deepened! B tier army or not, I absolutely still love stormcast. After those games I started designing other lists based of feedback while there and I have to say, it's awesome to play an army with such versatility.

• Like 6

Regarding your second game, note that the Umbral Spellportal can only be used once each phase to either transport and endless spell or use for range of a cast. It sounds to me like he flung his entire arsenal through, which is a common mistake, but still illegal. If he did use it properly, let's pretend i never said a thing :P

Edited by Lucur
spelling
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lucur said:

Regarding your second game, note that the Umbral Spellportal can only be used once each phase to either transport and endless spell or use for range of a cast. It sounds to me like he flung his entire arsenal through, which is a common mistake, but still illegal. If he did use it properly, let's pretend i never said a thing :P

Yeah that seems really weird to lose all the heroes on one turn against death. Be curious what happened.

43 minutes ago, Lucur said:

He used it once to cast hand of dust and rolled a 5+ for it and that was all he used it for 🤘 he then would activate either an ability or a spell that allowed him a small range teleport. After that he would cast his last 6 damage or debuff spell. In the case of the damage spells, he managed to roll 6's and or doubles (i do t remember which one he needs for this part) that allowd him to cast spell twice wjich was just a case of incredible rolls for himself that just managed to wipe my heroes. Running a list that i do, i tend to drop my heroes close to each other to activate key abilities on my turn on the units i need too. This i learned was the first mistake i made against him that led to my downfall... Talking with the opponent, he too said that that was a vital mistake i did, but whether he might have "overlooked" rules or not, it was still an incredible game and fun non the least 🤘

Edited by Talunus

8 hours ago, Talunus said:

He used it once to cast hand of dust and rolled a 5+ for it and that was all he used it for 🤘 he then would activate either an ability or a spell that allowed him a small range teleport. After that he would cast his last 6 damage or debuff spell. In the case of the damage spells, he managed to roll 6's and or doubles (i do t remember which one he needs for this part) that allowd him to cast spell twice wjich was just a case of incredible rolls for himself that just managed to wipe my heroes. Running a list that i do, i tend to drop my heroes close to each other to activate key abilities on my turn on the units i need too. This i learned was the first mistake i made against him that led to my downfall... Talking with the opponent, he too said that that was a vital mistake i did, but whether he might have "overlooked" rules or not, it was still an incredible game and fun non the least 🤘

I guess you played in Ghyran and you got double Amaranthine Orb to the face (4+ D6 MWs in a line) yes?

Ran a 6 strong unit of Dracoline at the weekend with an Arcanum on Dracoline and a cheeky Heraldor for run and charge.  They did well and lasted a good amount of time even when getting battered about, but perhaps that should be expected for 600pts.  Struggled to make Pride Leader work on the unit as positioning was difficult to get the Lord tight against the unit for the wholly within 9", but when it worked it was amazing.  I run as Tempest Lords (for my sins) so while I lose out elsewhere I am often lucky enough to have plenty of command points to spend, so was throwing 2 down at time on the Pack Alpha command ability to get 5 attacks from the mounts, my rolling was terrible so i think this saved me somewhat as I was always doing something with those attacks rather than a massive whiff.

Looking forward to getting them stuck into tougher targets at a tournament next weekend.

• Like 1

The list posted last is very simmilar to my 2k list - except I pick 2-3 Ballistas plus Lord Ordinator instead of the Vanguard Hunters plus bigger units of Sequitors. I really like this list, though I am still a big fan of heavy cavalierly and would love to spot some Dracoth Paladins :)

But what about or big shiny heroes though? I love the models of the Prime and the Star Drake but they seem just to expensive for 2000P. lists - I would have to cut out to much of my needed units. Have you played them in 2k lists and were they worth their points?   

Translocation is pretty crucial because your guys are not the fastest. Except they are of course because you have some quick troops like Prosecutors. Otherwise Translocate is invaluable for capturing objectives, threatening war machines and general map control 

44 minutes ago, PrimeElectrid said:

How crucial is it to bring a Heraldor, Vexillor or Translocation for mobility, do we think?

I’m weighing up the value of 10 Sequitors plus one of the above to grab objectives, or 20 Sequitors and winning through brute force. 

Some way to add speed always adds benefits, like being able to block enemy movement or getting into combat when we need to.  I dont do much shooting though, mobility for capturing objectives usually ties in with that (capping objectives youve cleared with shooting). Most of the time having the right stuff in the Celestial Realm is what ive done over points spent on relocation.  Heraldor though is always worth a look, can pump out a serious amount of mortal wounds with his horn blast.

1 hour ago, PrimeElectrid said:

How crucial is it to bring a Heraldor, Vexillor or Translocation for mobility, do we think?

I’m weighing up the value of 10 Sequitors plus one of the above to grab objectives, or 20 Sequitors and winning through brute force. 

Having mobility never hurts

Between the 3 I'd say Vexillor is the best pick, followed up by priest with Translocation and then Heraldor

Vexillor is very good because his ability doesn't require a roll and have a global range, so you don't need to position him for it therefore you can focus on utilising his aura ability.

Translocation means a priest and both of them have nice additional utility, but requires a roll and positioning, so you would want to have a Plan B for a unit you wish to translocate - what that unit will do if prayer fails?

Heraldor is only good with melee units, has weak (For SCE hero) 4+ save and I don't find his MW shooting as good as before, it's harder to position and now with new terrain set up rules there will be less terrain to blow (at least where I play, since we had tables full of terrain) I think you should bring heraldor mostly when you run Dracolines or Fulminators, with other melee units use smart set up and SotS to choose engagements. Or take him if you feel like having more mobility after taking Vexilor or Translocation.

On 7/7/2019 at 12:53 AM, PJetski said:

When you have abilities with the same timing then the player whose turn is taking place resolves all their effects first (in whatever order they want, as long as they all activate at the same time) then the other player resolves their effects.

Skullcrushers would get to deal their mortal wounds before the Raptors.

you'd think the crossbows would shoot first...

Heraldor is awesome.  I'd consider it a requirement if you're taking a big unit of Evocators either on foot, or especially on Dracolines.  I made a 27" charge in a tournament using dracs and a heraldor (12" move, 6"run, 9" charge roll).  Which I needed because I needed to deploy out of range of Thunderquake shooting, but also needed to kill the Thunderquake castle.

His shooting phase ability is icing as far as I'm concerned, but there always seems to be heroes and/or units clumped around terrain in the games I've played because they're trying to get the bonuses from terrain.  New terrain rules should mean more terrain on the board, because the old recommendation is something like at least 1 piece of terrain for every 2' square on the board; and that seems to be taken as just 1 piece.  So most boards I've played on have 6-7 pieces of terrain.  Faction terrain places are great targets for the Heraldor.

Vexillor, I'm still in the air about.  Most games, he doesn't do much.  But occasionally he does something clutch.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, HammerOfSigmar said:

The forever fight first FEC dragon is gone, once again we can fight the FEC using melee-focused list.

Yeah, just read that.  FEC general can only fight first if it charged that turn.  So we can charge it now.

Warp lightning vortex is range 13" instead of 26" now, too.

Slaanesh says it was updated today, but it wasn't.  Link goes to japanese version, but change the jp to en in the url and it goes to a doc dated May.

Alright boys Melee lists can shine again and AnvilStrike got stronger

Gristlegore Points increase and Savage strike rule changes means they cant always fight first and cant summon buttloads of hordes and ghoul patrol the objectives. 

Skaven changes are too soon to tell, but its generally good that THAT army takes lesser rats as a whole.

Im excited. Its fairly modest changes and i expected more (especially since NO fyreslayer points changes wtf) but hey ill take it.

Edited by jhamslam
  • Like 2