AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

3 hours ago, jhamslam said:

I dont disagree, but my original point was even armies that do pure melee well dont stand a chance against this mechanic. You thought Gristlegore was dumb. Locus of Diversion, which is basically "fight last" for you, happens in a 6'' aura of all Hedonite heroes on a 2+ if its a greater daemon else a 4+.

My point wasnt you shouldnt be running SCE shooters, my point was its bad design to have such a mechanic, when the only reliable way to deal with it IS shooting in a game where most armies dont have reliable access to that and AoS being a primarily melee game, have melee based units. Its not a rag on me not being able to run melee heavy builds, its that its bad for that game that contains and is arguably mostly about melee combat, not gunlines.

That is just not true about Slaanesh.

Each Hedonite hero (which is just the hedonite keyword so heroes in the book) can locus 1 unit. And, if it fails no other HoS can attempt to locus the same unit.

Edited by whispersofblood

Just now, whispersofblood said:

That is just not true about Slaanesh.

Each Hedonite hero (which is just the hedonite keyword so heroes in the book) can locus 1 unit. And, if it fails no other HoS can attempt it.

The point was about the mechanic. Failing a 2+ is quite difficult with the greater daemons inside a 6 inch aura of all things

56 minutes ago, Roodie said:

Good thing I hold back my next purchases until the GHB2019 - but now I need some advice. What I have currently is the SCE half of the Soul Wars box with the Sequitors bumped up to 15, a Lord Castellant, 20 Liberators, and 5 Retributors. My target is to have a viable (semi-competitive) 1500-ish army, and I have a budget around 100 GBP. I would like to have a 1-2 units of Desolators, but for the rest, any advice? I am a bit lost. I was thinking about Gavriel (is he still relevant?), and maybe a unit of Evocators on Dracolines? Or a box of Judicators would serve me better, with another character?  Thanks for any advice.

so you only have LA on gryph, incantor, and Castellant? A Heraldor or Relictor would be a good hero choice I think, especially to move infantry blocks up. You could easily do units of 15 for sequitors and Liberators to have nice chunky blobs for the Castellant to buff / Relictor to Translocate / Heraldor to run.

1 hour ago, HammerOfSigmar said:

Yes, they can cast that spell on themselves. Chain lighting can do a lot MW when the enemy units are sticking together, but that's a 24" spell.

Might it be worth running up the LA to cast? I'd prefer the ability to snipe vs having to pick the closest unit, but a board-sized range is hard to argue with

18 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

Might it be worth running up the LA to cast? I'd prefer the ability to snipe vs having to pick the closest unit, but a board-sized range is hard to argue with

Well, for the first turn, you need to cast the spell before moving, so lightning blast makes a different. Also chain lightning need a 7 but lightning blast only need a 5, this is also worth considering since in most cases, SCE get no cast buffs.

8 hours ago, Marzillius said:

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals - Mortal Realm: Aqshy
LEADERS
Lord-Arcanum (160) - General - Command Trait : Staunch Defender  - Artefact :  Ignax's Scales - Spell : Azyrite Halo
Knight-Incantor (140) - Celestial Staves (Artefact) : Staff of Focus - Spell : Chain Lightning
Knight-Incantor (140) - Spell : Stormcaller
Lord-Exorcist (120) - Spell : Lighntning Blast
Lord-Castellant (120)

UNITS
20 x Sequitors (440) - Tempest Blades and Soulshields - 9 x  Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Liberators (100) - Warhammer & Shield - 1 x  Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100) - Warhammer & Shield - 1 x  Grandhammers
2 x Concussors (240)

BATTALIONS
Grand Convocation (130)

ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN
Aethervoid Pendulum (50)
Everblaze Comet (100)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (60)
Purple Sun of Shyish (50)
Balewind Vortex (40)

TOTAL: 1990/2000     EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1     WOUNDS: 97
LEADERS: 5/6    BATTLELINES: 3 (3+)    BEHEMOTHS: 0/4    ARTILLERY: 0/4
ARTEFACTS: 2/2    ALLIES: 0/400

I came up with this list while trying to make a magic-based SCE army for variety's sake. I love my cavalry armies but sometimes you gotta do something else. Grand Convocation gives +1 to cast to all the wizards for the endless spell fiesta. Basically the Lord-Arcanum's CA allows you to move an endless spell an additional d6 inches, very useful for giving the Purple Sun or Geminids a little boost. The Incantor will cast the Balewind Vortex and then pop the Staff and cast Spirit Storm, dealing 2 MW to every enemy unit within 24", alternatively casting Chain Lightning on some hero 30" away and giving them d3+1 MW and 2 MW to everyone around them on a 4+. With the Comet and the Geminids on the same turn you can realiably kill a lot of heroes over 2 turns. The Sequitors will have 2 + save with all the armour buffs and Azyrite Halo, making them tough as nails against everything but Skarbrand and the Gristlegore clowns. Liberators hold points and Concussors charge into some small-medium tough units and hopefully take some objective or something. Overall a lot of mortal wounds and not half-bad tanking and melee capability. What do you think?

Lovely idea! I'll try your listand give you feedback

Hi folks! After playing some games with new meta, i want to create balanced roster with strong block of infantry, shooting and crashing fist. I find intersting in Vandus Hammerhand. Pretty good stats, cool CA, ignore BS and mobility combine in strong unit. But, he is HoS and its a big problem(( But, i try to build list around Vandus, and maybe it will work. What do think?

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Hammers of Sigmar
Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Lord-Castellant (120)
- General
- Trait: We Cannot Fail 
- Artefact: God-forged Blade 
Vandus Hammerhand (280)
- Mount Trait: Pack Leader
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Azyrite Halo

Battleline
15 x Liberators (300)
- Warhammers
- 3x Grandblades
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
- 1x Grandblades
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warblades
- 1x Grandblades

Units
4 x Concussors (480)
5 x Retributors (200)

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (60)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 117

• LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, Bishop1893 said:

Hi folks! After playing some games with new meta, i want to create balanced roster with strong block of infantry, shooting and crashing fist. I find intersting in Vandus Hammerhand. Pretty good stats, cool CA, ignore BS and mobility combine in strong unit. But, he is HoS and its a big problem(( But, i try to build list around Vandus, and maybe it will work. What do think?

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Hammers of Sigmar
Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Lord-Castellant (120)
- General
- Trait: We Cannot Fail 
- Artefact: God-forged Blade 
Vandus Hammerhand (280)
- Mount Trait: Pack Leader
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Azyrite Halo

Battleline
15 x Liberators (300)
- Warhammers
- 3x Grandblades
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
- 1x Grandblades
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warblades
- 1x Grandblades

Units
4 x Concussors (480)
5 x Retributors (200)

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (60)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 117

I would drop the ballistas without an ordinator. Then take that 200 points and invest in some other ranged as well as maybe dropping the concussors for Desolators. Drop the paladins for more desolators as well. That way you can buff the attacks to obnoxious levels with vandus's command ability. And you'll have the movement to keep up with vandus, the problem with pallys is the 4" movement and you have no Gavriel to buff their charge or heraldor to run and charge so they're just super slow. I would take that 200 and maybe the extra 80 from the Desolators change (280 total) and maybe grab two units of hurricane raptors instead. That way you can have a little variety and some shooting. You should be able to clear out screens with that and the breath attacks from the dracoths and then hopefully get a juicy charge off to use that command ability.

Im not sure about swaping concussers into desolators because they have  basic 4+ to hit. Its a big deal, if you face kind of modifications of attacks- desolators will suck a lot. Plus they dont have MW dealing mechanics. About pallys- they have tusk to support core units such as block of liberators or concussers, not carry game so much. I think, i will take ordinator in one way-3 ballists or more. No way he can help a lot wit 2 or less. So, i will test this list on weekend,  probably. Test should show prons and cons of combinations. 

11 minutes ago, Bishop1893 said:

Im not sure about swaping concussers into desolators because they have  basic 4+ to hit. Its a big deal, if you face kind of modifications of attacks- desolators will suck a lot. Plus they dont have MW dealing mechanics.

Desolators have -1 hit but +2 attacks each, which is much better on average and can spike much higher.

They both have a breath attack that does mortal wounds.

17 hours ago, HammerOfSigmar said:

Well, for the first turn, you need to cast the spell before moving, so lightning blast makes a different. Also chain lightning need a 7 but lightning blast only need a 5, this is also worth considering since in most cases, SCE get no cast buffs.

I always take lightning blast.  Low cast value,  and the range makes it great.  Plus it really fits the lore, summoning the storm to slam lightning down. 

7 minutes ago, Bishop1893 said:

I mean in CC

The concussor MW on hit6 ability is pretty underwhelming. It averages out to 1 mortal wound for every 2 models you have attacking, which  doesn't seem to justify a 20% point cost increase.

Concussors are certainly better in smaller squads than Desolators, and they scale better with +Attack bonuses like Vandus or the Celestial Vindicators command ability.

Desolators are much better in big squads (6+) and they scale better with Hit/Wound roll bonuses - like +1 hit from Astral Templars/Drakesworn Templar, or +1 wound from Celestial Blades spell.

58 minutes ago, Bishop1893 said:

Im not sure about swaping concussers into desolators because they have  basic 4+ to hit. Its a big deal, if you face kind of modifications of attacks- desolators will suck a lot. Plus they dont have MW dealing mechanics. About pallys- they have tusk to support core units such as block of liberators or concussers, not carry game so much. I think, i will take ordinator in one way-3 ballists or more. No way he can help a lot wit 2 or less. So, i will test this list on weekend,  probably. Test should show prons and cons of combinations. 

The difference is that the Desolators will have 5 attacks each with their axes and vandus can buff that to possible even 6 or 7 and with command points you can rerolls hits of 1 with a command point. I disagree with the mortal wound output, 2 more desolators have 2 more breath shots for d3 a piece from 12" away. As opposed to paladins needing to get into actual melee combat to get their mortals off, to add they aren't as resilient since they don't have rerolls of 1s and are 4+s as opposed to 3+s. Despite the 5 more wounds a unit of 5 can carry, two Desolators will last longer in combat and if you use them effectively, and can be much quicker.

13 minutes ago, Battlefury said:

Does Astreia Solbright actually have to be within the Hammers of Sigmar Stormhost only? Or can she be "unbound", too?

She can be unbound but still retains "Hammers of Sigmar" keyword. And for some godforsaken reason her skill can only affect HoS keyword units... So depending, it may be better to use her as a LA on Drac

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Battlefury said:

Does Astreia Solbright actually have to be within the Hammers of Sigmar Stormhost only? Or can she be "unbound", too?

She can be in any list, but when she is not in Hammers of Sigamr, she cannot use her CA on friendly SCE units, Stormhost rules also doesn't apply to her.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, PJetski said:

The concussor MW on hit6 ability is pretty underwhelming. It averages out to 1 mortal wound for every 2 models you have attacking, which  doesn't seem to justify a 20% point cost increase.

Concussors are certainly better in smaller squads than Desolators, and they scale better with +Attack bonuses like Vandus or the Celestial Vindicators command ability.

Desolators are much better in big squads (6+) and they scale better with Hit/Wound roll bonuses - like +1 hit from Astral Templars/Drakesworn Templar, or +1 wound from Celestial Blades spell.

from what i remember, it also prevent the ennemy to pile-in, which make them great for attacking the corner edge of a big horde

Ok so got another game in last night with MagicCast. While super fun it is the most swingy thing Ive played in a while. Not sure I want to stick 700 pts all in a basket that could just you know....do nothing. But!  Played with Mr. Prime and I agree he is really expensive but man what a fun model!  Cool center piece and just hits so hard. Finally got a chance to actually try out Staunch Defender (no latern to super charge) and 20 Sequitors and that was a rock wall. For reference a list:

LA

2x Incantor

Exorsist

Celestant Prime

20x Sequitors

5x Sequitors

5x Sequitors

Purple Sun

Comet

Balewind

Dias

I was against a Gutbusters list with the man-eater Merc group. Played the new places of arcane power. Didnt realize you needed to stay within 3 inches so that was brain ******. Basically it came down to the fact I didn't get anything but the vortex off for 2 turns then on turn 3 it was to late. I had the prime come in and try and clear off the man-eaters and firebelly and whiffed on 2 of 3 attacks on the firebelly and he scored 2 pts. Then it wasn't until my turn 4 I finally got his butcher off with a random purple sun 6. 

Final Thoughts from my 3rd game of SCE:

- I like endless spells but you sacrifice to much to bring the full boat.

- Staunch Defender is a really strong tactic against a lot of stuff though getting eaten by FEC and other high mortal wounds is rough. 

- I missed my ballistas a lot. Being able to drop in and unleash hell is really strong so gonna try that again.

- You NEED some spell casters or something to just randomly dispell. Incantor seems the best at this but if running Sqeuitors having LA and Incantor would be baller 

- I want more Thundercats in my life......

On 6/24/2019 at 1:21 PM, Malakithe said:

On 6/24/2019 at 12:42 PM, frostfire said:

Edited by luthhero
  • Like 2

Playing in a local league next week - total newcomer but I've been building up SCE from Soul Wars. How does this look for 1000 points? Trying to do a decent all-comers list that's fun to play and will win me a few games. Not looking to absolutely dominate but I don't want to get obliterated.

Lord Arcanum - 160

Lord ordinator - 140

5 sequitors (blades & shields, 3 maces inc prime) - 130

5 sequitors (blades & shields, 3 maces inc prime) - 130

2 celestar ballistae - 220

5 evocators (grandstaves) - 220

Looking to be fairly defensive, shielding the ballistae and buffing sequitors with spells. Holding back evos as a triarii type unit to lock-break when and where they're needed.

I also have draco-evos, lord celestant on dracoth, 2 knights incantor, rest of soul wars but these units seem to be the most cohesive with the price increases. Any tips/thoughts would be really appreciated.