AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

54 minutes ago, PJetski said:

Here's the list I'm going to start testing Desolators with:

Astral Templars

Drakesworn Templar (General, Artefact, Storm-winged)
Lord-Castellant
Knight-Incantor (Celestial Blades)
Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (Azyrite Halo)
Knight-Azyros
6x Desolator
3x5 Liberators

There's 60 points left over. I could add in endless spells (Purple Sun or Geminids?) or replace one of the Liberator squads with Judicators for additional focused fire.

I don't think it can be better than Anvilstrike, but I reckon that's true for most lists.

So whats the plan against gristlegore? Stormbreath them to death? Alongwith whatever mortal wound rain the drakesworn brings?

14 minutes ago, PJetski said:

Yes... but when would this ever be worthwhile? Dracolines all hit on 3+ already, a second +1 hit is almost always useless. 

The CA adds 1 attack to the Draco's Claws not +1 to hit.  I think you confuse that with Pride Leader trait.

Both in combination are probably the hardest hammer we can get on the charge.

Edited by schwabbele
  • Thanks 2

@PJetski why not drop the Incantor and go for Heraldor and Azyros? Another fast hero, rr1s on hit is valuable for the 2+ breath and Heraldor to get the Stardrake where you want it seem to make more semse than the unbind, especially considering the -1 to cast you mentioned.

Edited by Lucur

2 minutes ago, schwabbele said:

The CA adds 1 attack to the Draco's Claws not +1 to hit. 

Oh sorry I thought you were talking about the Pride Leader mount trait for some reason 😅

3 minutes ago, jhamslam said:

So whats the plan against gristlegore? Stormbreath them to death? Alongwith whatever mortal wound rain the drakesworn brings?

Yup. You can reliably get to 2+ rr1 breath attacks against MONSTERs, which should do 6d3 mortal wounds. The Drakesworn bow might do a wound, and some endless spell (probably Geminids) cast at +1 is fairly reliable, too. If it doesn't kill them then at least it should weaken them enough that they won't be much of a threat in the combat phase.

2 minutes ago, Lucur said:

@PJetski why not drop the Incantor and go for Heraldor and Azyros? Another fast hero, rr1s on hit is valuable for the 2+ breath and Heraldor to get the Stardrake where you want it seem to make more semse than the unbind, especially considering the -1 to cast you mentioned.

I already have an Azyros in the list, and I dont think the Heraldor is necessary because of the 6" dauntless move.

I want the Incantor to have two WIZARDs for objectives, a second unbind (with a dispel scroll), a second Spirit Flask, and to cast both Celestial Blades and Azyrite Halo on the Desolator mob in the same turn or toss an endless spell. I think I will value this more than the ability to run/retreat/charge and horn blast on scenery in this particular list.

8 minutes ago, schwabbele said:

The CA adds 1 attack to the Draco's Claws not +1 to hit.  I think you confuse that with Pride Leader trait.

Both in combination are probably the hardest hammer we can get on the charge.

Thanks (and thanks everyone else who answered).

I'm hampered by running my list as Tempest Lords (damn you narrative tendancies!) so struggle compared to the other Stormhosts. With Sequitors and Evocators going up my previous tactic of using Arcanum of Gryph with his command abilities is less useful, so thinking i might try to spend all my CP on a dracoline horde :0)

2 minutes ago, PJetski said:

Yup. You can reliably get to 2+ rr1 breath attacks against MONSTERs, which should do 6d3 mortal wounds. The Drakesworn bow might do a wound, and some endless spell (probably Geminids) cast at +1 is fairly reliable, too. If it doesn't kill them then at least it should weaken them enough that they won't be much of a threat in the combat phase.

im sure you already know :)  but the threat from terrorgheists comes from Gaping Maw which is re rollable thanks to their mount trait - Gruesome bite.

Its also the only attack that doesnt get bracketed. At all. And does not take any penalty to its damage or hit rolls from any wounds the terrorgheists take. THIS is the real MW spammer.

5 minutes ago, jhamslam said:

im sure you already know :)  but the threat from terrorgheists comes from Gaping Maw which is re rollable thanks to their mount trait - Gruesome bite.

Its also the only attack that doesnt get bracketed. At all. And does not take any penalty to its damage or hit rolls from any wounds the terrorgheists take. THIS is the real MW spammer.

I'm quite aware. This is another reason I like using the geminids, since it can reduce the number of attacks.

The odds of killing a Gristlegore TG before you even engage it in melee are pretty good. Between Storm-winged (can be activated in both movement & charge phase), Rain of Stars, Skybolt Bow, Geminids, dracoth breath, Azyros lantern, spirit flasks (on your turn they go before the TG attack), you can get the damage through. It's important to use the dispel scroll on Unholy Vitality on the turn before you go for the kill. Once you kill the general their list falls apart quickly.

Nothing is guaranteed because it's still a dice game after all, but it seems like you should be able to reliably handle a gristlegore list with this

2 hours ago, Requizen said:

Haha I love Ballista + Ordinator + Hurricanum combo, that's so sick. Not sure it belongs with a Stardrake, though. With the big guy, you want zoning and scoring units since he's mostly just going to be tying up and zoning. I'd drop boyh the Hurricanum and Ordinator, just use the Ballistas as threatening Scions units, and then take bodies of one sort or another. Bumping up the Lib units is nice, but so is something like Skinks or similar. 

Okay so if I try the shooty combo I need more bodies rather than drake? 

Uhm the other you point out, skip hurricanum and ordinator? 

Dont I loose a lot value without ordinatir? 

What did you have in mind? 10x evocators? 

1 hour ago, PJetski said:

Astral Templars

Lord-Castellant
Knight-Azyros
6x Desolator
3x5 Liberators

There's 60 points left over. I could add in endless spells (Purple Sun or Geminids?) or replace one of the Liberator squads with Judicators for additional focused fire.

I don't think it can be better than Anvilstrike, but I reckon that's true for most lists.

This feels really fun, if a bit death star ish :P

Geminids are probably still the best general use Endless Spell in the game even at 60 points. I'd take em, especially since Skinks are no longer 60 points :( 

Prosecutors are surprisingly efficient now, at least in small squads where the Prime can get the Trident. They're not as good as Hurricane Raptors, slightly better than Crossbow Judicators, but they are much faster, easier to use, and a little bit more durable in terms of points/wound and reroll save1.

Maybe there's a potential list here with 20x Judicators and 3x3 Prosecutors in a Vanguard Wing? You could go Anvils to double tap the Judicators

1 hour ago, Requizen said:

This feels really fun, if a bit death star ish :P

Geminids are probably still the best general use Endless Spell in the game even at 60 points. I'd take em, especially since Skinks are no longer 60 points :( 

I bet you anything that was a result of the triple ballista list nerf. Seraphon werent even making any waves. But 20 skinks protecting triple quadruple ballista was the bomb 😁

2 hours ago, PJetski said:

Astral Templars

Lord-Castellant
Knight-Azyros
6x Desolator
3x5 Liberators

This looks much more sensible than my attempt, though I'm a little concerned by the lack of bodies. Fifteen Liberators don't inspire confidence in the taking and holding objectives stakes, though I suppose the idea is just to table everyone with mortal wounds and 5 attack axes.

My main impression is that I hope this is good, because it looks like an absolute blast to play.

Hey all, so 'lucky' me I haven't really expanded my SCE outside of Soul Wars, but these point changes (and finding out castigators are bad) pretty much ruin my idea of a Sacrosanct only army. These are the models I have so far, with the 2nd Incantor from the Getting Started mag, and buying extra models to fill out the uneven Soul Wars ones.

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Hallowed Knights (paint scheme at least)
Mortal Realm: Ghyran
Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (240) --now 220?
- General
Lord-Castellant (100) --now 120

Lord-Relictor (100)
- Prayer: Translocation
Knight-Incantor (140)
Knight-Incantor (140)
5 x Sequitors (120) --now 130
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
- 3x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Sequitors (120) --now 130
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
- 2x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Evocators (200) --now 220
6 x Castigators (160)
3 x Castigators (80)
Celestar Ballista (100) --now 110

1500/2000 --> 1550/2000 it seems

What should I add, or replace, in this list? Which spells for LA and Incantor? I know I need more shooting and a 3rd battleline. I wanted to get the boxed sets for Sequitors for that reason but alas.. I also wanted the box of Evos, but I know I need more mobility/cav and with their increase I shouldn't buy them simply because I like those models when I can spend that money more wisely.

Can the Getting Started Incantor be proxied for a LA on foot easily? I also have Leena Stormspire who should have been a Knight Questor, and looks exactly like one minus helm, if KQ is viable. Which Endless spells can be used in multiple SCE lists, and can I buy them separately?

I'm not entirely inclined towards 2k, especially with the new 1k rules coming, but I figure I should still plan for 2k! And that would give me a better idea of 1k lists anyway. Thanks in advance, I know this is a big question.

Edited by CommissarRotke

3 hours ago, PJetski said:

Prosecutors are surprisingly efficient now, at least in small squads where the Prime can get the Trident. They're not as good as Hurricane Raptors, slightly better than Crossbow Judicators, but they are much faster, easier to use, and a little bit more durable in terms of points/wound and reroll save1.

Maybe there's a potential list here with 20x Judicators and 3x3 Prosecutors in a Vanguard Wing? You could go Anvils to double tap the Judicators

VWing Anvils was something I was poking at before the changes, I think it's not terrible but idk if it's anything more interesting than using Longstrikes. 

4 hours ago, PJetski said:

Hysh

Anvil

Relictor - brooch

knight azyros

lord ordinator

5x lib

5x lib

20x judicators 

Vanguard wing

3x3 prosecutors 

4x ballista 

🤔🤔🤔

I think a Desolator deathstar could be really legit now. I'm thinking this:

Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (general)
Lord-Castellant
Knight-Heraldor
Knight-Venator

5 Judicators
5 Judicators
5 Sequitors
5 Sequitors

8 Desolators

1940p, 1 Extra CP

I picked the Venator because he's fun, but maybe the Azyros is better. You could also take an Incantor instead, but then you lose the extra CP. I would probably run this as Celestial Vindicators to buff the Desolators even further and give them a re-roll 1's to hit without having to take the Azyros.  The Desolators in this set-up would be ridiculously tough (2+ save re-roll 1s with Cycle and potential healing) and hit ridiculously hard (averaging something along the lines of 47,5 damage vs 3+ save with re-roll 1s, Vindicators CA and Celestial Blades). 

Edited by Marzillius

6 minutes ago, Marzillius said:

I think a Desolator deathstar could be really legit now. I'm thinking this:

Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (general)
Lord-Castellant
Knight-Heraldor
Knight-Venator

5 Judicators
5 Judicators
5 Sequitors
5 Sequitors

8 Desolators

1940p, 1 Extra CP

I picked the Venator because he's fun, but maybe the Azyros is better. You could also take an Incantor instead, but then you lose the extra CP. I would probably run this as Celestial Vindicators to buff the Desolators even further and give them a re-roll 1's to hit without having to take the Azyros.  The Desolators in this set-up would be ridiculously tough (2+ save re-roll 1s with Cycle and potential healing) and hit ridiculously hard (averaging something along the lines of 47,5 damage vs 3+ save with re-roll 1s, Vindicators CA and Celestial Blades). 

If you're running CV then you should just use Dracolines instead. What are you using the extra command point on? Take Geminids instead.

I wouldnt waste points on Sequitors in squads of 5. You could shave 60 points off this list if you swap them for Liberators, and another 100 if drop one of those squads altogether (you don't need a 4th battleline).

I'm not sold on using 8, seems like it's too many points invested in a single unit that will struggle to get all the models into range. I like adding a Drakesworn and Astral Templars because it adds a secondary threat while also increasing the average damage output of the Desolator unit. Lists with single threats don't tend to do well because it's easy to shut down one unit at a time.

1 hour ago, PJetski said:

If you're running CV then you should just use Dracolines instead. What are you using the extra command point on? Take Geminids instead.

I wouldnt waste points on Sequitors in squads of 5. You could shave 60 points off this list if you swap them for Liberators, and another 100 if drop one of those squads altogether (you don't need a 4th battleline).

I'm not sold on using 8, seems like it's too many points invested in a single unit that will struggle to get all the models into range. I like adding a Drakesworn and Astral Templars because it adds a secondary threat while also increasing the average damage output of the Desolator unit. Lists with single threats don't tend to do well because it's easy to shut down one unit at a time.

Did you see Sean Heights Vanguard List?

Basically used the Aquilor, Hunter Battelline and the Celestant Prime to pump out damage alongside 9 longstrikes

With the point drops he could even fit a knight incantor and endless spell in there

15 hours ago, PJetski said:

Dracolines really don't need CV, they hit like a train just with Pride Leader, the Arcanum's CA and Empower. I prefer Staunch with Dracolines to increase their staying power. The 8 Desolators however do not need Staunch, and the extra CP is used on the CV CA to make sure they kill what they touch. As they are 8 they will rarely all get to attack the same target, and thus you want each Desolator to hit hard enough. Having 8 of them also makes it a lot more difficults to remove their 2 bonus attacks, if you run 6 you just need to kill one and those attacks are gone. I really like the idea of a Templar though, that +1 to hit from the bow is really useful, and makes a -1 to hit debuff a lot less worse. Maybe I should add a Templar, remove some other stuff for anti-screen shooting.

Maybe it's not the best, but I want to make an 8 man Desolator unit work.