AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

16 minutes ago, HammerOfSigmar said:

The rule for the forbidden power is released, it seems that every army can bring the engine as their own fraction terrain.

Is that in addition to terrain they already have

Can FEC cheese bring the charnel throne AND the engine>?

Had my game last night with my cleansing phalanx list against the foes DoK, needless to say, I got my ass handed to me in to me...

We played Dagger to the Heart (I believe), field was diagonal and there was one objective on each opponent's side, the objective being to gain control of the other opponents objective marker while painting hold on your own to win.

Keeping my 3 ballistas in the air, I spread my sequitors and evocators out along with an incantor between blocks and the arcanum in the middle. First round I went first, failing all my empowers but managing azeryte halo on a block of seqs, I moved my troops to the right side of the board to try and swarm while I dropped my ballistas on top of terrain on the left side of my field. Both of these I found to be huge mistakes as soon as the end of the 1st battle round. I fired amazingly with my ballistas tha k to ordinator demolitioning the majority of a 30 block of aelves (I believe). 

He Began his turn buffing, I managed to dispel 1 but failed the others. He moved harpies to the left flank towards my ballista, a 20 block of them, and the rest of his units including judicator allies towards the center where we engaged and I finished off the rest of his 30 block and lost a few sequitors and 1 evocator. 

I won next round and kept moving my troops up and to the left, leaving a giant hole straight to my objective marker..... I set up seqs and evos to screen on the right side and use the ballistas against the judicators. This turn was useless, few ballista hits and I managed to do nothing.

With his turn, he buffed his unit of harpies insanely and I was unable to dispel anything. He rushed them to my marker and took the game immediately...

WHAT I REALISED. I thought to hard on setting up a defense onto my side of the field that I wasn't even thinking of defending the marker itself... Also, it was mentioned to focus his hags first and I completely failed to do so, those models being on 28 ml. Bases made it hard to discern them out and he was smart enough to put them next to a unit of battleline making it seem like apart of the unit. (He told me he did this on purpose knowing I was a new player against DOK...******.... but smart). And lastly, I rushed, I had an idea in my head how to move and where to attack and where to defend without second guessing and really looking at the board. I was so stationary with where I was standing that I didn't really look at the board and created the giant hole he abused ( bow chicka wow wow) to gain a 2 turn win. Otherwise it was a great game and he was a fantastic general who gave me a ton of tips after the game was over.

With each loss is a lesson on how not lose. Love the community I'm involved with and I cant wait to get better 🤘

3 minutes ago, Talunus said:

Also, it was mentioned to focus his hags first and I completely failed to do so, those models being on 28 ml. Bases made it hard to discern them out and he was smart enough to put them next to a unit of battleline making it seem like apart of the unit. (He told me he did this on purpose knowing I was a new player against DOK...******.... but smart).

What you should say: "Which models are the hags?"

3 minutes ago, crkhobbit said:

What you should say: "Which models are the hags?"

I totally should have! But that's where I was rushing myself to keep things going. Definitely need to slow myself down and ask the important questions not only to my opponent but to myself!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Rid said:

Looking to go competitive with stormcast, I’m thinking a shooty pop n drop list will do nicely.

7850E0F3-36E0-449F-9A7B-027503AD166C.png

I'd drop that 4th ballista. Then you've got 180 points. Then can buy you 3 more longstrikes, a much better target for anvils cmd ability in a squad of 9.

I've noticed you've not gone anvils? Do that. 

However you could clump up those sequitors and take more judicators for even more of an emphasis on shooting.

At that point, with a 20 blob, you can't go wrong with a lord castellant. He'll make that unit a FANTASTIC screen for all your shooting behind it, as well as it being more than a bit killy. Maybe get rid of incantor? 

Looks good however though.

Okay guys, right from the start preparing for some noob questions. First time doing Stormcast but also first time having multiple Battalions so first question is do the artifacts stack? R punning 2 Battalions do i get to put artifacts on both heroes? 

My list is based of the stuff I have plus minimal purchases after, not trying to win a tournament jut play for fun but if there's still any good advice on what's it's always welcome 

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Celestial Vindicators

Leaders
Lord-Ordinator (140)
Knight-Incantor (140)
Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (240)
- General
- Trait: Single-minded Fury 
- Celestial Staves (Artefact): Staff of Focus
- Scrolls of Power (Artefact): Storm Scroll
- Spell: Thundershock
- Mount Trait: Keen-clawed

Battleline
5 x Sequitors (120)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
- 2x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Sequitors (120)
5 x Sequitors (120)

Units
5 x Evocators (200)
5 x Evocators (200)
6 x Castigators (160)

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)

Battalions
Hailstorm Battery (120)
Cleansing Phalanx (120)

Endless Spells
Everblaze Comet (100)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 103

If I could get and extra 2 are there any must haves or recommendations based on what's here?

Cheers 🍻 

1 hour ago, TeddyMadeMeDoIt said:

If I could get and extra 2 are there any must haves or recommendations based on what's here?

Seems like you could maybe do better with 280 points than Castigators and Hailstorm Battery. Would probably be better to just surround the Ordinator with a couple more ballistae (4 total). You could do that and still have 80 points left over, maybe swap Incantor for Celestant on Dracoth or Astreia Solbright or Azyros + Veritant .... just some thoughts, lots of potential options.

It's in the Stormcast allegiance now, called "scions of the storm", which allows half your army to setup anywhere on the field, outside 9" from enemy models at the end of your movement phase.

I've not seen someone run Paladins recently, though i could imagine Decimators thrive in the hordes that are around these days.

Edited by Lucur
spelling

2 hours ago, Aryann said:

Do I see correctly that teleport ability from Hammerstrike Force and Vanguard Wing was removed? Or is now in another batallion or somewhere else? 

If it was removed how do you play you Paladins now? 

You haven't been around SCE for a whille it seems

You don't play paladins pretty much at all now, because evocators. There is a place for decimators and Skyborne Slayers are still somewhat decent, but most of the time you just don't play paladins.

1 hour ago, Lucur said:

It's in the Stormcast allegiance now, called "scions of the storm", which allows half your army to setup anywhere on the field, outside 9" from enemy models at the end of your movement phase.

I've not seen someone run Paladins recently, though i could imagine Decimators thrive in the hordes that are around these days.

It's not as good as that teleport was. It was like? 6" from enemy models?

46 minutes ago, XReN said:

You haven't been around SCE for a whille it seems

You don't play paladins pretty much at all now, because evocators. There is a place for decimators and Skyborne Slayers are still somewhat decent, but most of the time you just don't play paladins.

Seems like the perfect famous GW balance all the way sadly.

I was wondering whether to expand my SC forces to a full playable 2k army but I always prefered the original Stormcast models from 1st wave.

5 minutes ago, Aryann said:

It's not as good as that teleport was. It was like? 6" from enemy models?

Seems like the perfect famous GW balance all the way sadly.

I was wondering whether to expand my SC forces to a full playable 2k army but I always prefered the original Stormcast models from 1st wave.

After all the nerfs it was 3" from enemy

You can try and figure out something with Skyborne Slayers, they still get to be set up 5" away from opponent, fill your battleline, make you ignore battleshock and you also keep the bonus from Shock and Awe - which is a new battle trait that gives your models that were set on the battlefield that turn a -1 to hit them.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aryann said:

Guys, one more question. If you were to play 2k army with Paladins (prefered Retributors as I already have few), Liberators and Prosecutors what list would you bring? Thx.

This core:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals

Leaders

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers

Units
5 x Retributors (220)
- 2x Starsoul Maces
5 x Retributors (220)
- 2x Starsoul Maces
3 x Prosecutors with Stormcall Javelins (100)

Battalions
Hammerstrike Force (120)

Total: 960 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 21
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 66

Backed up by some wizards and shooting 

With Hammers of Sigmar for Gav Bomb / Vandus stacking attacks

Celestial Vindicators for extra attacks (Vandus might be stronger)

Astral templars to help with slowness and you can fit ballista spam in for good effect

Good ol' Staunch Defender

Knight Azyros is universally a great support hero for both melee and shooting

I also faced 10 retributors buffed to 2+ rerolling 1s save and that was nasty

• Thanks 1

Went to a local 2 dayer, 3-2 with Anvilstrike. Very depressing after a good showing at Adepticon.

The meta is just so fast and killy right now that if you don't have lots of redundancy and/or disruption, the game is really on a knife's edge. Anvilstrike can probably still hang with some tweaks, and I probably could have won both of those games had my opponents not gotten the double turn... but I dunno, it always felt like I was on the back foot even in the games I won. Bestigors, Enlightened, Witch Aelves, Morathi, FEC - all can get across the board reliably on T1 unless you backline most of the army, and even then you're not safe if they get a double (and they will since they outdrop you 99% of the time). I lost my Longstrike unit in four of the games, even with Aetherwings to block. 

I'll try Anvilstrike with more bodies and shutdown - maybe trading some units for extra Aetherwings is apropos. Swapping the 10 Evocators + Heraldor for 20 Sequitors + Castellant takes a lot of teeth out, but it also gives a harder frontline that can help to soak a charge or two and still isn't too bad at hitting back. Going for a more castle approach to the list, though the damage output of 10 Evos is just nothing to scoff at. 

I was also looking at the lists I ran against and thinking about how Gav would do against it. I think the Daughters matchup wouldn't be too bad - just my own 10 man unit was able to boop of 30 Witch Aelves per charge fairly reliably (though they were Khailebron rather than Hagg-Nar), and once the bodies are down, Morathi herself isn't super terrifying. FEC and LoN are still horrid for Gav since they'll just blob out Ghouls and countercharge with monsters. BoC/Tzeentch speed melee would depend heavily on mission and positioning. 

Honestly I'm leaning towards Ignax Stardrake. There's so many horde-heavy armies in the game with a smattering of MWs. Grimghasts, Gobbos, Bestigors, Ghouls, Witch Aelves, Plague Monks - all of them bounce off him. I would go for Smouldering Helm, but Terrorgheist Maws and WLCs are still in the game, as are Endless Spells, so Ignax is probably necessary most of the time.

I still feel Shootcast should be the way we build, since it spoilers a lot of things and we're one of the few armies that can really do shooting well... it's just so flimsy due to points. Our weakness is already bodies and when someone can just chuck 90 Aelves, or 60 Bestigors, or 60 Tzaangors, or 120 Plague Monks, etc into it, without something like Sequitors to block it up it's a bit rough. Aetherwings are great but they basically stop 1 charge per unit, which is great against slower armies that you can pick off but nothing against 2+ units in your DZ at the bottom of 1. 

Maybe I'm just a bit salty at my own performance, but it just felt like the meta has shifted so hard that SCE need to refocus to deal with it. Luckily, we're an army with a dozen different possible builds and will never be out of the meta just due to variety, but it can be frustrating to see the build you've worked hard on suddenly lose viability. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Requizen said:

Went to a local 2 dayer, 3-2 with Anvilstrike. Very depressing after a good showing at Adepticon.

but it can be frustrating to see the build you've worked hard on suddenly lose viability. 

Going 3-2 is losing viability? Sounds like a respectable showing. You can't expect the other tournament-level players to just roll over.