AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

1 hour ago, frostfire said:

Heard the rumors that Longstrikes will get nerfed as well as Evocators in GHB2019...... Maybe then a bug unit of Judicator(even with the VW battalion) will be another option for the Anvil list.

It's already arguably a better option than Longstrikes so it wouldn't be a big change 😂

24 minutes ago, Salami Vendoe said:

Serious question: what would it take for vanguard chamber to be viable? 

You could argue that it's basically already viable. The question about whether or not they could hold their own in a competitive environment might be another issue entirely...

Judicators do ~15% less damage than Longstrikes vs 4+sv, while also ticking the battlelinebox. One could argue you save the Liberator tax to get more shots, and Judicators lose less punch per model lost as most of the shots come from shockbolt bows. But longstrikes get more range when stationary, get "overwatch" when charged and activate aetherwings, which i'd consider more valuable than dodging Liberators.

On 5/14/2019 at 10:44 PM, frostfire said:

I have used the Hurricane couple of times since they can still get their bonus when you teleport them. But it turns out without rerolling, they can fail me quite often. How do people fix that in  a Anvil list?

Azyros for reroll 1s, at the very least. You could potentially go nuts and ally in a Hurricanum to buff them up as well, but mostly you're just looking for weight of dice. Remember that if you teleport, you don't count as having moved, so 9 shots per model is quite a bit, especially with 9 models in the units.

On 5/15/2019 at 7:57 AM, PJetski said:

Hurricanes do a lot of damage (if unreliable at 4+/4+) but the Evocators kinda fill that same role of just doing a lot of damage. I prefer the tactical versatility that comes with the longer range and hero sniping potential of the Longstrikes.

How does your area rule on Rapid Fire in the hero phase?

If I wanted more bodies and more shots I would take 20 Judicators instead of 9 Longstrikes - the average damage is the same, but Judicators spike way higher.

Yes, I much prefer Longstrikes as well. The ability focus off important targets is what makes it work imo. However, if armies tend towards independent Hordes that don't particularly require Hero support (Plague Monks, for example), Longstrikes lose value and double shooting Hurricanes bump up. 

I have a friend who is bringing it to a pretty big event soon, so I want to see how he performs.

Edited by Requizen

14 hours ago, Salami Vendoe said:

Serious question: what would it take for vanguard chamber to be viable? 

Easy

- Give retreat+shoot to vanguard hunters instead of run+shoot,

- Bring the palladors down to 160 and give them +1 attack,

- Let the aetherwing have their special rule watchful guardians without needing to be close to the vanguard raptors, but close to a vanguard unit instead.

- Put the longstrike to 160 pts, 180 pts for a 6 wound unit doing 3 wounds in average is grotesque, Or let them ignore "watch out sir ! ". They are character snipers after all, they shouldn't need 3 turns to snipe one. Or to be taken in units of 9 in anvilstrike to go from "horsesh***" to "holy hell what the f*** is this broken abomination".

- Bring the aquilor down to 160 and transform his CA to a free ability with a global range. Give him a CA allowing him and another unit to strike first in melee, or to shoot in the ennemy shooting phase.

- Give +1 flat damage to the zephyros and neave, make them (or at least the zephyros) loose their leader slot. It's a pure fighting hero, she should be up to the level of the grimwrath berserker to be worth it. 

- Make the riding the aetheric winds ability of the palladors/neave move more than 5" away of the ennemy units instead of 3", but allow a charge after the move

Those changes looks crazy, but the vanguard chamber army have a low-model count and don't hit that hard, if you go up to eleven in the mobility option, then only they can be something else than a bad joke. Right now they can't even harass the ennemy at all, they can't escape from melee and attack, and melee armies are faster than them.

With all those changes, they could actually put up a fight against armies such as skaven, fec, fyreslayer or LON. And i'm sure you can already picture them being much more interesting to play.

Edited by ledha
  • Like 4

Yeah, Vanguard in general is overpriced for what you get. GW assumed that trading damage for speed would be worth the price, but in practice fast, elite, low damage units are pretty terrible unless they have something else going for them such as debuffs or ultimate tankiness. Instead, you just have a small army that is slightly quicker to get places and do nothing.

As it stands, they're unlikely to change Warscrolls any time soon, but a flat 20-40 point drop across the board wouldn't be amiss, save for perhaps Aetherwings and Hurricanes, which are actually pretty good units in general.

Running a cleansing phalanx today against DoK. I've only collected 3 Soul Wars Stormcast sets, an ordinator and extra unit of evocators to be able to pull off 2 units of 5. This is my first time against DoK, what's they're main strength? Is there a good artifact or 2 I should grab to help out against this army? And lastly should I consider a sformhost? I'm thinking either HoS to bring a unit of Sequitors back and for the FNP/ bravery +1, OR I'm thinking of taking the host (currently forget the name) that allows me to shoot in the hero phase so I can double shoot with my 3 ballistas. Below is my list. Any and all help would be appreciated!

Lord Arcanum on gryph - General

2 × knight incantor - Azerite Halo/second spell??

Lord ordinator 

1 × 10 sequitors

2 × 5 sequitors 

3 × ballista

2 × 5 evocators 

Cleansing Phalanx Battalion 

1960/2000 points 

1 hour ago, PJetski said:

If Hearthguard Berzerkers and Auric Hearthguard are going to stay at 120 for 5 then Liberators should be 80, Hunters should be 100, and Judicators should be 120

There were rumors that everyhing FEC/Skaven and later was built around a different power scale, so AoS2 books released prior will see big price drops in the next GHB to be on a similar level. I don't know if that's true, or how it would affect SCE in any case, but I wouldn't be surprised to see pre-Sacrosanct units get a drop in points.

Edit: Also WHERE ARE MY BATTLELINE DRACOLINES

Edited by Requizen

1 hour ago, Talunus said:

Running a cleansing phalanx today against DoK. I've only collected 3 Soul Wars Stormcast sets, an ordinator and extra unit of evocators to be able to pull off 2 units of 5. This is my first time against DoK, what's they're main strength? Is there a good artifact or 2 I should grab to help out against this army? And lastly should I consider a sformhost? I'm thinking either HoS to bring a unit of Sequitors back and for the FNP/ bravery +1, OR I'm thinking of taking the host (currently forget the name) that allows me to shoot in the hero phase so I can double shoot with my 3 ballistas. Below is my list. Any and all help would be appreciated!

Lord Arcanum on gryph - General

2 × knight incantor - Azerite Halo/second spell??

Lord ordinator 

1 × 10 sequitors

2 × 5 sequitors 

3 × ballista

2 × 5 evocators 

Cleansing Phalanx Battalion 

1960/2000 points 

Target the Hag Queens with your shooting as soon as you can then try to engage the Witch Aelves in combat before turn 3 (I think that’s when they get their re-roll everything bonuses in place).

Witchbrew potion from the hags is crazy on the witch Aelves so best to hold off combat until you can remove those buffing units, but you want to clear as many as you can before their turn 3 bonuses kick in cause they are very stabby... watch out for the snake ladies too as they can dish out a tonne of mortal wounds, and try to screen your range units (Balistae and incantors) as deep striking flying units (forget their name) can tie them in combat which stops them being able to shoot other targets. 

I could be wrong but but I think the Anvils CA only targets one unit to shoot in the hero phase (which is why people use it on large units of Longstrikes), so only one Balistae would benefit from it. Not sure it’s worth at that point. But you could also use it to get an extra phase of combat from your evocators which would help clear out those witch Aelves.

Others can probably give you some more details but I’ve played most of my games with Stormcast against DOK while I’ve been learning the game and from my experience those are the big threats. Hags and their witchbrew, stabby witch Aelves, mortal wound snake ladies, deep striking fliers and their turn 3 bonuses... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Requizen said:

There were rumors that everyhing FEC/Skaven and later was built around a different power scale, so AoS2 books released prior will see big price drops in the next GHB to be on a similar level. I don't know if that's true, or how it would affect SCE in any case, but I wouldn't be surprised to see pre-Sacrosanct units get a drop in points.

It really doesn't feel like it to me. Most of the books besides Fec/Skaven this year (barring gloomspite) seem pretty close to each other, with those two being absurdly strong. 

That being said I am still anticipating pretty massive points drops for a lot of the earlier armies. 

37 minutes ago, Salami Vendoe said:

I want to thank everyone who responded btw. I’m new and this is giving me great insight. Unfortunately, vanguard doesn’t seem to competitive , other than raptors. Why are prosecutors a bad choice as well? As for Calvary what options are worthwhile? 

Prosecutors are... Fine. If you have 100 points and want some extra speed, you could do a lot worse. Javelins for shooting are usually the way to go. 

Non-Hero Cavalry is something like:

Dracolines with Support Heroes > Dracoths with support > Dracolines without support > Dracoths without support > Palladors

8 hours ago, PJetski said:

If Hearthguard Berzerkers and Auric Hearthguard are going to stay at 120 for 5 then Liberators should be 80, Hunters should be 100, and Judicators should be 120

Hearthguard Berzerkers at 120 make me look at sequitors and people calling them broken like "wtf are you talking about"

Sequitors and Evocators do NOT deserve an increase in pts after this 30 hearthguard BS

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Requizen said:

Yes to the max please. Hire Requizen gw

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jhamslam said:

Hearthguard Berzerkers at 120 make me look at sequitors and people calling them broken like "wtf are you talking about"

Sequitors and Evocators do NOT deserve an increase in pts after this 30 hearthguard BS

I am prepared for the worst and hope for the best :) 

• Like 1