AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

1 hour ago, frostfire said:
1 hour ago, frostfire said:

I believe I have just put it right above

May underestimate what aetherwings can do in this list. It seems I have to play more to master the list.:P

I believe I have just put it right above

May underestimate what aetherwings can do in this list. It seems I have to play more to master the list.:P

Yeah sorry did not see your previous post. What do you think about a Knight Azyros and a Lord Castellant in this type of list? And also maybe a knight vexillor to support evocator charges and A lord Aquilor instead of Relictor to secure raptors?

11 hours ago, The World Tree said:

The Celestant Prime can be absolutely brutal. Holding him back can really shape your opponent's behaviour. That you can charge so reliably is vital. They just destroy units.

Sounds awesome ! Thank you. Does anyone have any input on paladors? Or prosecutors? I want to make a crazy movement list that’s defensive or skirmish Esque/assault shock troop ish lol. Yet again I play in a 2500 point casual meta 

I will note that I've seen a few people playing Anvilstrike with Hurricane Raptors instead of Longstrikes. There's less point and click removal of Heroes and Monsters, but they are more efficient shooting against most units in the game. Translocate + 18" General bubble makes even a turn 1 Hero Phase shooting possible, and the extra points let you get more Aetherwings or Heroes.

8 hours ago, Heaven_lord said:

Yeah sorry did not see your previous post. What do you think about a Knight Azyros and a Lord Castellant in this type of list? And also maybe a knight vexillor to support evocator charges and A lord Aquilor instead of Relictor to secure raptors?

The Knight Azryros is excellent who buffs both missile and melee. Castellant can be an option, you can get wrong bringing him in a SCE army after all, but I haven't tried it yet. A Knight vexillor or a Lord Aquilor can be useful, but the point of Translocation here is that the prayer is activated in your hero phase so you can  teleport your Longstikes and still get to use the command ability on them to shoot twice.

6 hours ago, Requizen said:

I will note that I've seen a few people playing Anvilstrike with Hurricane Raptors instead of Longstrikes.

I have used the Hurricane couple of times since they can still get their bonus when you teleport them. But it turns out without rerolling, they can fail me quite often. How do people fix that in  a Anvil list?

On 5/13/2019 at 3:52 PM, HammerOfSigmar said:

At last, data won't lie, FEC winning ratio increase significantly in recent tournament(if I remeber correctly, it is over 60% already), while SCE already drop below 50%, so doesn't it means that the FEC is much stronger than SEC in average? 

Fortunately, other FEC units are not so great and some are also overcost in my opiniont(for example the ghouls), hence you still have a chance to play against it....  

It could mean that. Or a thousand other things that such a superficial level of analysis would miss. I would list all the externalities in such a "test" but it take all day, and be mostly boring. 

The only fact here is that there is a global win ratio, but that is basically useless for any level of consistent interpretation of book stregth for many reasons but the most obvious is there are no controls in testing for bias samples. I would barely trust uncontrolled win percentage inside a single store meta to show me the strongest local faction.

• Thanks 1

Azyros, Relictor, 2×5 Liberators, 9 Longstrikes and Skinks or Aetherwings to fill, leaves you at 990/1000.  I wouldn't expect that to work all too well, as you lack a second threat (Evocators) but it might be worth a shot.

15 hours ago, Requizen said:

I will note that I've seen a few people playing Anvilstrike with Hurricane Raptors instead of Longstrikes. There's less point and click removal of Heroes and Monsters, but they are more efficient shooting against most units in the game. Translocate + 18" General bubble makes even a turn 1 Hero Phase shooting possible, and the extra points let you get more Aetherwings or Heroes.

Hurricanes do a lot of damage (if unreliable at 4+/4+) but the Evocators kinda fill that same role of just doing a lot of damage. I prefer the tactical versatility that comes with the longer range and hero sniping potential of the Longstrikes.

How does your area rule on Rapid Fire in the hero phase?

If I wanted more bodies and more shots I would take 20 Judicators instead of 9 Longstrikes - the average damage is the same, but Judicators spike way higher.

Edited by PJetski

Building a cleansing phalanx 2k list and I hear many people mention a Gav bomb move with this list, I understand gav gives re rolls on charges but how does a gave bomb tactic work?

Also, would it be a good idea to run a night azryos in the list. I'm thinking this - screen and fight with sequitors, finish off with evocators, Azryos clears remaining units. Then the same for going against heroes. Opinions?

5 minutes ago, Talunus said:

Building a cleansing phalanx 2k list and I hear many people mention a Gav bomb move with this list, I understand gav gives re rolls on charges but how does a gave bomb tactic work?

Also, would it be a good idea to run a night azryos in the list. I'm thinking this - screen and fight with sequitors, finish off with evocators, Azryos clears remaining units. Then the same for going against heroes. Opinions?

gav give +3 on the charges rolls and you can use more CP to stack it to +6, +9 or even +12.

Azroys is good for its reroll 1s to hit, and from my experience, the 8" aoe bomb is not very easy to use well if you don't have double turns.

42 minutes ago, Talunus said:

Is the CP to increase the +charge an ability of his? 

And for Azryos, still good enough to consider into the list then or should be comped for something else?

gav's CA is use 1 cp to add 3" to charge distance for friendly units wholly within 12", and this CA can stack.

I think Azryos is good for the reroll 1s to hit buff.  And if you are lucky and get double turn when against chaos, the 8" aoe bomb is devastating. I mention the bomb because I want to remind you the aoe bomb is not very reliable, I am not meaning azryos is unworthy of its point.

On 5/14/2019 at 3:32 PM, PJetski said:

If the terrorgheist is charging Evocators you aren't playing Anvilstrike right. Terrorgheist should never charge anything but Liberators, and their first charges should always get denied by Aetherwings.

Also, you can't use Gavriel in Anvils. Even if you could he wouldn't be used in Anvilstrike because he is not necessary - the Longstrikes force the enemy to come to you, and then the Evocators clean them up.

Could you share the wisdom of a charge denial with Birds for a flying unit? TG starts a charge - you move the Birds in front of him - he still makes the roll and just charge past them, or am I getting this wrong?

12 minutes ago, Qrepin said:

Could you share the wisdom of a charge denial with Birds for a flying unit? TG starts a charge - you move the Birds in front of him - he still makes the roll and just charge past them, or am I getting this wrong?

If your bird is within 3" of a TG, it cannot declare charge. 

If your bird is in a dedicate position in front of your raptors, and the TG doesn't have such a good roll that fly all the way to the back of the raptor, it needs to charge at the birds, since there is no place for the TG to land between the bird and the raptor.

If your bird is the closet unit to the TG, retreat to keep 12" away from the TG, it cannot even declare a charge.

Edited by HammerOfSigmar
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, HammerOfSigmar said:

If your bird is within 3" of a TG, it cannot declare charge. 

If your bird is in a dedicate position in front of your raptors, and the TG doesn't have such a good roll that fly all the way to the back of the raptor, it needs to charge at the birds, since there is no place for the TG to land between the bird and the raptor.

If your bird is the closet unit to the TG, retreat to keep 12" away from the TG, it cannot even declare a charge.

Got it, so you basically deny his charge roll with them. That's pretty neat, thank you.

8 hours ago, Heaven_lord said:

Do you think if it is possible to build a competitive anvilstrike list at 1k pts?

I was thinking the same thing  and came up with this list (990 points):

• Lord-Veritant - general (120)
  • 5x Liberators (100)
  • 5x Liberators (100)
  • 5x Evocators (200)
  • 9x Vanguard-Raptors w/Hurricane Crossbows (420)
  • 3x Aetherwings (50)

Some comments:

1. Veritant seems like an obvious choice for general since he's a Priest so can Translocate and also has an Unbind ability.
  2. 2x5 Liberators is cheap battleline requirement
  3. Longstrike Crossbows are too expensive for this list IMHO. Seems better to get 9x Hurricane and still have room for 5x Evocators.
  4. Aetherwings work well with Raptors for screening and gives somewhere to dump the extra 50 points. 

I've been struggling to put together a 1000 point SCE list that I like because the units are so expensive, but I kind of like this one. No idea how effective it would be, but it should be fun to play.

PS. I'm going to wait and see what changes in new GHB before getting into SCE.

Edited by ChaosLord

23 minutes ago, Warbossironteef said:

So I literally last week just bought a bunch of stormcast, most of it being 30 Sequitors, 3x Ballista and 6x Vanguard Raptors with Longstrike. Do you think I should be sweating right now because the new GH will bring nerfs/point increase? 

What is everyone's general feel about it?

If anything, I think we should expect some downward point shifts for many unit choices in Stormcast.  There's a chance Evocators on foot and Longstrikes get a slight points bump, but I'd honestly be surprised. Sequitors are one of the best heavy troops in the game, but they have a real tax in terms of your general choice, if you want them as battleline.

Since I doubt GW plans to drop sweeping changes to half the war scrolls in our battle tome, I'd imagine we're going to see some point reductions. Paladins in particular, and the entire vanguard family of models are all point-costed out of being viable choices for anything competitive. The whole army crumples to mortal wounds, and it seems like every new battle tome(notable exception: Gitz) is getting multiple cost-effective ways to vomit out MWs. Vandus and the Celestant Prime are laughably overcosted for how easily they can removed from the board.  Castigators could go down to 50 points per 3 and I bet they still wouldn't even become ubiquitous in lists, since they can't fill battleline.  Stormcast really suffer from what seems like an incomplete points-balancing pass before having their new book released. They have some very viable AOS 2.0 unit choices, but a huge segment of the units just don't compare favourably to this new edition, and haven't received a discount to at least warrant their testing.

• Like 1

I can't see Longstrikes getting a point bump. 180 points for 6 wounds that does 6 damage max per turn.

If they want to nerf Anvilstrike they should max Longstrikes at 6 instead of 12, but then everyone will just swap to Judicators...

22 minutes ago, PJetski said:

I can't see Longstrikes getting a point bump. 180 points for 6 wounds that does 6 damage max per turn.

If they want to nerf Anvilstrike they should max Longstrikes at 6 instead of 12, but then everyone will just swap to Judicators...

Yes, I think Longstrikes are fine where they are. It's the Anvils Stormhost that is the problem. It effectively doubles their efficiency, and unless EVERYONE plays Anvils, raising their points cost would just make them non-viable for everyone else.