AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

6 minutes ago, HammerOfSigmar said:

I still doubt whether the Khorne army can make 32 mortal wounds reliably in one turn........because if that is the case, none of the monster in this game can survive even the FEC dragon.....

Insensate Rage drops 4 mortals on a six to wound, gets 5 attacks, and can attack twice without buffs. Add two more, one of which gets to swing immediately after the other.

Just now, xking said:

I just want to know, what is the Khorne list? besides three bloodthirsters.

Off the top of my head it's the reapers of vengeance host with a council of blood battalion running 2 insensate rages, an unfettered fury, two priests, a max block of bloodletters, the bloodletter character, and two units of hounds.

I have a tournament coming up in June, I'm going to play Anvilstrike but not sure what to bring for the last 220 points. Anyone have any tips? Don't like the idea of 5 more evocators, feels like i should be able to use the points better or am I wrong?

This my list:

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Anvils of the Heldenhammer
Knight-Azyros (100)
- Artefact: Soulthief 
Knight-Heraldor (100)
Knight-Incantor (140)
- General
- Trait: Deathly Aura 
Lord-Relictor (100)
5 x Liberators (100)
5 x Liberators (100)
5 x Liberators (100)
10 x Evocators (400)
9 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (540)
3 x Aetherwings (50)
3 x Aetherwings (50)

Total: 1780 / 2000

41 minutes ago, Naprapaten said:

I have a tournament coming up in June, I'm going to play Anvilstrike but not sure what to bring for the last 220 points. Anyone have any tips? Don't like the idea of 5 more evocators, feels like i should be able to use the points better or am I wrong?

This my list:

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Anvils of the Heldenhammer
Knight-Azyros (100)
- Artefact: Soulthief 
Knight-Heraldor (100)
Knight-Incantor (140)
- General
- Trait: Deathly Aura 
Lord-Relictor (100)
5 x Liberators (100)
5 x Liberators (100)
5 x Liberators (100)
10 x Evocators (400)
9 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (540)
3 x Aetherwings (50)
3 x Aetherwings (50)

Total: 1780 / 2000

I run a 2nd Incantor, geminids, quicksilver swords, and swap the Relictor for a Veritant.

• Like 1

I don't think that's an average MW output, even two rounds of attack, 10a, there will be 5 hits on average, less than 1 natural 6 wound rolls, which means three bloodthirster do 12 MW average.

3 bloodthirster to do 30+MW is not an average cases.

In my opinion, consider extreme cases is not very helpful, this is because if you are super lucky 4 ballista can do 96 wound on your enemy with -2 rend, which will wipe out almost the whole army in just a single shooting phase, but I doubt anyone get that happen since the ballista is released.....

Edited by HammerOfSigmar

16 minutes ago, HammerOfSigmar said:

I don't think that's an average MW output, even two rounds of attack, 10a, there will be 5 hits on average, less than 1 natural 6 wound rolls, which means three bloodthirster do 12 MW average.

In my opinion, consider extreme cases is not very helpful, this is because if you are super lucky 4 ballista can do 96 wound on your enemy with -2 rend, which will wipe out almost the whole army in just a single shooting phase, but I doubt anyone get that happen since the ballista is released.....

As nice as that math sounds it's never happened in the weekly games I've played. Those bloodthirsters almost always hit every hit and they absolutely wound every wound, there's always at least one or two that do mortals.

If you can never shoot one down and they never fail to mw your drake, maybe just roll over?

Jokes aside, even if that happened three times in a row, that can't be used for objectively judging a matchup. Maybe loaded dice are a thing? :P

• Haha 2

Good day all. With the release of the new WD, the article about SCE had me thinking I'd love to start a Realm of Life Stormcast army to take on my nurgle and BoC. 

Could someone give me a good starting point for making a varied SCE army? I like a range of models as opposed to lots of one thing, as I already have that with Putrid Blightkings. 

Thanks in advance for anyone's help! 

Edited by Cchalmers

10 hours ago, Cchalmers said:

Good day all. With the release of the new WD, the article about SCE had me thinking I'd love to start a Realm of Life Stormcast army to take on my nurgle and BoC. 

Could someone give me a good starting point for making a varied SCE army? I like a range of models as opposed to lots of one thing, as I already have that with Putrid Blightkings. 

Thanks in advance for anyone's help! 

Pretty much everything in the Stormcast line is good. The question is just a bit too open to have an answer, you could run any variety of things and do fine unless you're going to tournaments. 

You'll get a range of models no matter what you do. Stormcast lists take a variety of Heroes (buffing foot Heroes, fighty mounted Heroes), a variety of Battleline (semi-chump Liberators, position-focused Judicators, elite Sequitors, tricky Hunters), variety of mounted Elites (linebreaker Fulminators, hit and run Palladors, charge forward Dracolines), varied melee foot Elites (mostly Evocators, but Paladins are still viable as well, shooting Elites from Raptors), and Aetherwings because Birbs. 

What kind of list are you looking for? Shooting focused, melee focused, or mixed? Hyper-elite or semi-elite? Punchy Heroes or supporting Heroes? Stormcast are flexible enough that there's no one straightforward way to build a list.

• LOVE IT! 1

On 5/1/2019 at 8:11 PM, HammerOfSigmar said:

Ah, but skarbrand.

On his own does a guaranteed 8 mortal wounds per attack with carnage if not in combat last round. If he rolls a 6 it doubles. You can assume that he has a bloodsecrator buff, otherwise it is badly positioned. So that's 16 guaranteed MW, adding 8 for every 6.

Then he piles in and immediately strikes again. Average of 32 +(4/6 X 8) = 37.3MWs, and that's not accounting for his 20 other 4+2+ -2 3dmg attacks.

Yeah, he's a beast. But a beast with a 10" no fly move and 16 wounds with a 4+ save for 400 points. Shoot and magic off the board. (Although then the other two come smash face instead😉)

Hello all, I'm into possession of a large collection of SCE and was wondering what a basic, competent list that I could work towards with the lot of units I'm getting.

Thanks in advance for replying.

Edited by TheGrayKing
Fixing typo

8 hours ago, TheGrayKing said:

Hello all, I'm into possession of a large collection of SCE and was wondering what a basic, competent list that I could work towards with the lot of units I'm getting.

Thanks in advance for replying.

What models are in the lot? No one can tell you what's good without knowing anything about it.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Requizen said:

Pretty much everything in the Stormcast line is good. The question is just a bit too open to have an answer, you could run any variety of things and do fine unless you're going to tournaments. 

You'll get a range of models no matter what you do. Stormcast lists take a variety of Heroes (buffing foot Heroes, fighty mounted Heroes), a variety of Battleline (semi-chump Liberators, position-focused Judicators, elite Sequitors, tricky Hunters), variety of mounted Elites (linebreaker Fulminators, hit and run Palladors, charge forward Dracolines), varied melee foot Elites (mostly Evocators, but Paladins are still viable as well, shooting Elites from Raptors), and Aetherwings because Birbs. 

What kind of list are you looking for? Shooting focused, melee focused, or mixed? Hyper-elite or semi-elite? Punchy Heroes or supporting Heroes? Stormcast are flexible enough that there's no one straightforward way to build a list.

Thanks for the info @Requizen I'm so use to armies where the main focus is around 1 or 2 units I forget it isn't all that way. 

I love the dracoline models and I quite like the idea of having some shooting in my army as all my other options are very melee intensive, so if I can have an army that performs best at range, that would be a fun change of styles.

Does that narrow me down a little?

Thanks for your time! 

@TheGrayKing Got Sequitors, evocators, Gavriel Sureheart, a Lord Arcanum, a Knight incantor, and a handfull of other characters(what they are is irrelevant.)? Great! If not, get those. At least 45 sequitors and 20 evocators. Sell anything that isn't those two units to get those two units. Then sell the rest for beer money, because it's all preeeeeetty meh. (Eh...actually...you can keep 4 ballista and an Ordinator too). 

Slam those into a list and BAM instant 3-1-1 or better tournament army. 

6 hours ago, Cchalmers said:

Thanks for the info @Requizen I'm so use to armies where the main focus is around 1 or 2 units I forget it isn't all that way. 

I love the dracoline models and I quite like the idea of having some shooting in my army as all my other options are very melee intensive, so if I can have an army that performs best at range, that would be a fun change of styles.

Does that narrow me down a little?

Thanks for your time! 

Previous tongue in cheek repsonse notwithstanding...

Keep in mind that Requizen has a very optimistic outlook, especially on Stormcasts. While this is enviable, it can lead to buyers remorse in some cases.

I would start to build the army with Sequitors, Evocators, and Heroes that compliment those units. This will give you a strong baseline to go off of. Then add other units slowly, and play with them a bit before you buy multiples.

Dracolines are pretty solid, though with clear weaknesses you'll have to learn to play around. Getting a Lord Arcanum on Dracoline to be your general will also allow you to use Sequitors as battleline.

Unfortunately Stormcast also revolve around two units, the difference is that SCE have so many units that the gradient between really good (sequitors) and really bad (tempestors) has a lot more stops than other armies. 

Edited by Belper

Has anyone considered working Fulminators into an Astral Templars list? A Heraldor plus the free 6" move before the first battle round leaves them with an easy Turn 1 charge. That seems like it could combine well with the usual Templars ballistae platform (to clear screens).

My main concern is that I suspect the number of situations where they wouldn't get instantly murdered by counterpunch is getting smaller in today's meta...

44 minutes ago, Roark said:

Has anyone considered working Fulminators into an Astral Templars list? A Heraldor plus the free 6" move before the first battle round leaves them with an easy Turn 1 charge. That seems like it could combine well with the usual Templars ballistae platform (to clear screens).

My main concern is that I suspect the number of situations where they wouldn't get instantly murdered by counterpunch is getting smaller in today's meta...

I have looked st running a list like this tbh with lot deployment being 18” away 10”” plus the 6 from astral giving giving 28” threat range with the charge wasn’t sure if heraldor was an auto include ?