AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

43 minutes ago, Nos said:

Just to note you can only heal wounds you already have with Castellant buff. Know that probably sounds obvious but there’s people before played it like it discounts wounds after they’re caused.

So the heal is  great on things with lots of wounds like a Stardrake or heroes etc but a bit of a gimmick on big units. But obviously the +1 save itself is great on anything.

I thought I could choose preferences, so If could discount wounds!

10 hours ago, frostfire said:

So, no one brings Lord-Veritant these days?  What is his drawback comparing to Lord-Relictor?

20 more is occasionally quite difficult to fit into a tight list, and while they both can Translocate, the Relictor's base abilities (-1 hit or heal friendly) is extremely useful, potentially more than the unbind depending on the opponent. Both are very worthwhile, and the Veritant bringing birdpuppy is solid too.

2 hours ago, schwabbele said:

What’s his purpose? 

Same as the Relictor would - cast Translocation when I need to move my Longstrikes.

Trading the Relictors healing/lightning prayer the Veritant has +1 wound, double the melee damage, comes with a free gryph hound, and has an unbind (potentially at +3). None of these are necessary to fulfill his role of casting Translocation, but if you have 20 points left over it seems worthwhile.

• Thanks 1

On 10/18/2018 at 5:03 PM, PJetski said:

The Celestial Vindicator command ability is really good on Dracolines.

Celestial Vindicators
Lord-Arcanum on Dracoline - General + artifact, Pride Leader, Chain Lightning
9x Dracoline - Celestial Blades
Lord-Castellant
Knight-Heraldor
Knight-Incantor - Terrifying Aspect
5x Liberator
5x Liberator
5x Judicator
Chronomatic Cogs
Everblaze Comet

With Pride Leader, Celestial Blades, Empower, on the charge you are on 2+/2+ rerolling all hits and wounds. That's 27 attacks with grandstaves (R0, D2) and 27 attacks with their fangs (R1, Dd3), or ~51 wounds at 2 damage each. 

Each command point adds 18 attacks to the unit for another 17 wounds at 2 damage each. This is especially useful because a unit with a large footprint like 9x Dracolines will be splitting up its damage across multiple units, so adding 2 attacks per model helps ensure significant damage is done all across.

You can use the cogs to either get +2 move and +2 charge or use it with the Dracolines to get another spell and rerollable saves. 

The best defense against this kind of deathstar is to group up, and that's where Chain Lightning, Heraldor, and Everblaze Comet come in to punish that kind of clustered positioning.

It has some slight issues with consistency (all the different spells) and low model count but I think I finally found a Stormhost list I like more than Staunch Defender :)

Nice! Tried it. Except, when you spend the command point for the vindicators "Righteous hatred", that does not effect mounts (artefacts and cmd don't, spells do) so you get additional 9, not 18 attacks. Still nice though.

I really think, if they only made Vandus cheaper in points or at least gave him a shield, we'd actually see him on the field.

7 hours ago, JaffaBones said:

Nice! Tried it. Except, when you spend the command point for the vindicators "Righteous hatred", that does not effect mounts (artefacts and cmd don't, spells do) so you get additional 9, not 18 attacks. Still nice though.

I really think, if they only made Vandus cheaper in points or at least gave him a shield, we'd actually see him on the field.

Wrong. Command Traits and Artefacts do not benefit mounts. Command Abilities work just fine.

Hey guys,

I'm a regular poster over on the khorne thread, as I'm getting back into aos with a triple thirster tyrants of blood list because that play style really sparked my interests, and I love khorne.

However way back when I was younger I got the old starter set (as well as the little one with two easy to build sets in) stormcast side, and more recently upon release of 2.0 got 2 sides of stormcast soulwars + some other stuff. But I've never really got into it as I never had a functioning 2k list that I was happy to use against some of the regulars at the store. Plus, kill team got in the way😉. So because I'm trying to get back into AoS I thought I might as well see what I can do with my stormcast lot. From what I've seen, heard, and used (once) stormcast are nutty good, especially sacrosanct stuff.

So here's the stuff I've got:

Vandus, relictor, 15 libs, 3 prosecutors, 10 retributors

2x gryph arcanum guy

Foot arcanum guy

2 incantors

2 ballistas, 10 castigators and lord ordinator

30 sequitors, 13 or so greatmaces(need a way to make more though)

10 evocators

That's quite a large chunk of stuff I've got from just started boxes and some extras. Now I know that the current stormcast strategies usually synergise around a block of 20 sequitors (and 2x5 extra) which I have, perfect. Also I have the arcanums to make them battleline. Then I have a block of 10 evocators, which I have used in a few games and are absolutely ridiculous and I love them.

From that base of arcanum (on foot or charger), 20 sequitors, 2x5 sequitors + 10 evocators, does anyone have any tips of where to go from there?

I'm happy to spend another about £80-100 on stormcast stuff for a 2k comp list. One thing I need is a castellant. I could use gav... Quite tempting. So I'll need another unit and some more characters. Vexillor? Azryos? Gav? All of them?

On the point of stormhost, which do you guys like most? I could go for anvils and take 12 hurricane raptors with a relictor to translocate, I could go all out cleansing phalanx with another 10 evocators, maybe even more than that. Celestial vindicators here?  Another stormhost? None at all for staunch defender?! Hammers of sigmar does look pretty good for gav and the WL trait.

Cheers for any replies guys, hopefully I can sort a list to use before the inevitable GHB19 nerfbat.

*Edit* sorry this is all over the place. It's barely readable lol. This is me trying to get across my thoughts after staying up too late looking at the guys rules again.

Edited by fwlr

2 hours ago, JaffaBones said:

Thank you. Are there then any good uses for the one-time Staff of Focus, expect the Incantors basic spell? Even that seems a little wasteful for an artefact slot though.

A lot of artefacts are often a waste of a slot. It's hard to make a balanced set, things end up recurring and such so things are clearly better than one another

21 hours ago, fwlr said:

Hey guys,

I'm a regular poster over on the khorne thread, as I'm getting back into aos with a triple thirster tyrants of blood list because that play style really sparked my interests, and I love khorne.

However way back when I was younger I got the old starter set (as well as the little one with two easy to build sets in) stormcast side, and more recently upon release of 2.0 got 2 sides of stormcast soulwars + some other stuff. But I've never really got into it as I never had a functioning 2k list that I was happy to use against some of the regulars at the store. Plus, kill team got in the way😉. So because I'm trying to get back into AoS I thought I might as well see what I can do with my stormcast lot. From what I've seen, heard, and used (once) stormcast are nutty good, especially sacrosanct stuff.

So here's the stuff I've got:

Vandus, relictor, 15 libs, 3 prosecutors, 10 retributors

2x gryph arcanum guy

Foot arcanum guy

2 incantors

2 ballistas, 10 castigators and lord ordinator

30 sequitors, 13 or so greatmaces(need a way to make more though)

10 evocators

That's quite a large chunk of stuff I've got from just started boxes and some extras. Now I know that the current stormcast strategies usually synergise around a block of 20 sequitors (and 2x5 extra) which I have, perfect. Also I have the arcanums to make them battleline. Then I have a block of 10 evocators, which I have used in a few games and are absolutely ridiculous and I love them.

From that base of arcanum (on foot or charger), 20 sequitors, 2x5 sequitors + 10 evocators, does anyone have any tips of where to go from there?

I'm happy to spend another about £80-100 on stormcast stuff for a 2k comp list. One thing I need is a castellant. I could use gav... Quite tempting. So I'll need another unit and some more characters. Vexillor? Azryos? Gav? All of them?

On the point of stormhost, which do you guys like most? I could go for anvils and take 12 hurricane raptors with a relictor to translocate, I could go all out cleansing phalanx with another 10 evocators, maybe even more than that. Celestial vindicators here?  Another stormhost? None at all for staunch defender?! Hammers of sigmar does look pretty good for gav and the WL trait.

Cheers for any replies guys, hopefully I can sort a list to use before the inevitable GHB19 nerfbat.

*Edit* sorry this is all over the place. It's barely readable lol. This is me trying to get across my thoughts after staying up too late looking at the guys rules again.

Hey guys just realized my post kind of got lost at the end of the last page, and I'd really like people to give their opinions on what makes a bombass competitive stormcast list and how I can make one.

Cheers.

2 hours ago, fwlr said:

Hey guys just realized my post kind of got lost at the end of the last page, and I'd really like people to give their opinions on what makes a bombass competitive stormcast list and how I can make one.

Cheers.

Imo most lists are built around heroes so figure out what kind of general you want to run first then build a list around it.

6 hours ago, fwlr said:

Cheers.

Anvils - If you're gonna go with Raptors, I'd strongly recommend that you build Longstrikes. They do something unique and powerful. Hurricanes are fine for 140, but the Anvils command is much more effective for Longstrikes' sniping.

Battalions - there's really only one I'd consider for your models: Cleansing Phalanx. I'd want at least 20 Sequitors in the list to justify it though.

Arcanum general/unlocking Sequitors - lately I've not even been using an Arcanum general, and just going with 3 Libs min tax and a big blob of non-Battleline Sequitors as my main brick. It helps me get my armies up to 150-160 wounds, which is a lot to chew through (and really helps with objectives and defending my missile platform). I noticed you have 3 units of Libs, so you might want to play around with this.

Castellant - definitely get this guy. He should be your next purchase.

Stormhosts - it's not the most popular, but I really like Astral Templars at the moment. I use a full Ballista gunline with Ordinator, and this is the host that works best with those. It's quite anti-meta, with an army-wide +1 to hit Monsters so my Ballistae are hitting big important stuff on 3s with the multi-shot. I no longer live in fear of Death lords on giant gribblies. Hammersand Anvils are much more popular hosts, and I suspect you already know why.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, JaffaBones said:

Thank you. Are there then any good uses for the one-time Staff of Focus, expect the Incantors basic spell? Even that seems a little wasteful for an artefact slot though.

You can try a little fun with Taularon, give him the Staff, a sidekick wizard to cast cogs for him and shoot 3 spells with a Staff buff into opponent's face, nothing crazy powerfull, just a neat combo for casual game

• LOVE IT! 1

2 hours ago, XReN said:

You can try a little fun with Taularon, give him the Staff, a sidekick wizard to cast cogs for him and shoot 3 spells with a Staff buff into opponent's face, nothing crazy powerfull, just a neat combo for casual game

But you can use the staff only once, so you get the buff on a single spell.