AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

That's why Gavbomb lists aren't a thing right ;) 

They're kinda not. The lists are strong and versatile but they're rarely hitting podiums for a while now. That has less to do with FEC and more to do with armies that have very strong screening abilities like Daughters, Legions of Nagash, Seraphon, Skaven, now Fyreslayers, and to an extent Tzeentch and Nurgle*. 

Now, Gav lists can deal with bubble wrap by utilizing two-phase charges and playing more Sequitor heavy, but it still somewhat neuters the list, and I don't think Alpha Strike lists in general are particularly strong in the current meta, including Deepkin Eel Alpha. 

*I say to an extent because no one is bringing what I would run with Nurgle, which is 90-120 Plaguebearers that just cover the whole board and make everyone sad. Does it take top spot? Maybe not, but it messes up a whole slew of meta lists that can't deal with that many 5+++ bodies, a lot like early 2018 Fyreslayers. But that's a different discussion. 

2 hours ago, Kramer said:

That's why Gavbomb lists aren't a thing right ;) 

I invite you to take the gav bomb against a skaven or fec list.

An fec list will fight first and kill more than half your evos before you do anything.

A skaven list will screen with rats and mess you up with stormfiends in the counter.

Gav bomb alpha strike isnt as good anymore. Thats not to say you couldnt bring a mix of gav bomb and idk ballistas

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jhamslam said:

I invite you to take the gav bomb against a skaven or fec list.

An fec list will fight first and kill more than half your evos before you do anything.

A skaven list will screen with rats and mess you up with stormfiends in the counter.

Gav bomb alpha strike isnt as good anymore. Thats not to say you couldnt bring a mix of gav bomb and idk ballistas

Seconded. Been playing Gav bomb for about 6-7 months now. It’s very strong, but it gets hard countered by most of the top lists. I’ve “handicapped” myself in the sense that I don’t play anything but the Hammers of Sigmar Stormhost. And because of that I personally can’t build anything stronger. My Gav bomb lists do significantly better on average than any of my other builds, but there are certain matchups in tournaments that I can’t win unless the stars align and I get outrageously lucky. The problem with tournaments is that at a certain point, I’m always going to face those armies. 

Been playing the tournament scene for about a year and a half now, my win ratio and placement is pretty firmly at about 40%. I always manage to beat someone at the tournaments who did or would have podiumed, so I am at least respected as someone who isn’t an auto win. But apart from that, I’m convinced that my particular army build just simply doesn’t have the chops to win tournaments.

This is my current list that I’m using, if interested. Sad thing is even though I think it’s a pretty average list, it’s looked down upon in friendly local games as too competitive.

Spoiler

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Hammers of Sigmar
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Lord-Castellant (100)
- General
- Trait: We Cannot Fail  
- Artefact: God-forged Blade  
Gavriel Sureheart (100)
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
Celestant-Prime (340)

Battleline
10 x Liberators (200)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 2x Grandhammers
5 x Sequitors (120)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
- 3x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Judicators (160)
- Boltstorm Crossbows
- 1x Thunderbolt Crossbows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Boltstorm Crossbows

Units
3 x Aetherwings (50)
3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (180)
5 x Evocators (200)
- 5x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Terrifying Aspect

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (100)

Endless Spells
Everblaze Comet (100)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 108

This is my wonky “cheese” list that I take just to mess with people. It’s a one trick pony army design to win in a single turn. It actually does accomplish that if you don’t or can’t guard against it. I don’t get to play this much because it’s a “rude” list.

Spoiler

Leaders
Knight-Azyros (100)
- General
Gavriel Sureheart (100)
Vandus Hammerhand (280)
- Mount Trait: Keen-clawed
Celestant-Prime (340)

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandblades
5 x Sequitors (120)

Units
3 x Aetherwings (50)
3 x Aetherwings (50)
10 x Evocators (400)
- 10x Grandstaves

Total: 1740 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 5
Wounds: 107

Edited by Mark Williams

11 hours ago, Mark Williams said:

Seconded. Been playing Gav bomb for about 6-7 months now. It’s very strong, but it gets hard countered by most of the top lists. I’ve “handicapped” myself in the sense that I don’t play anything but the Hammers of Sigmar Stormhost. And because of that I personally can’t build anything stronger. My Gav bomb lists do significantly better on average than any of my other builds, but there are certain matchups in tournaments that I can’t win unless the stars align and I get outrageously lucky. The problem with tournaments is that at a certain point, I’m always going to face those armies. 

Been playing the tournament scene for about a year and a half now, my win ratio and placement is pretty firmly at about 40%. I always manage to beat someone at the tournaments who did or would have podiumed, so I am at least respected as someone who isn’t an auto win. But apart from that, I’m convinced that my particular army build just simply doesn’t have the chops to win tournaments.

This is my current list that I’m using, if interested. Sad thing is even though I think it’s a pretty average list, it’s looked down upon in friendly local games as too competitive.

Hide contents

Leaders
Lord-Castellant (100)
- General
Gavriel Sureheart (100)
Knight-Incantor (140)
Celestant-Prime (340)

Battleline
10 x Liberators (200)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 2x Grandhammers
5 x Sequitors (120)
5 x Judicators (160)
- Boltstorm Crossbows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Boltstorm Crossbows

Units
3 x Aetherwings (50)
3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (180)
5 x Evocators (200)
- 5x Grandstaves

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (100)

Endless Spells
Everblaze Comet (100)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Wounds: 108

This is my wonky “cheese” list that I take just to mess with people. It’s a one trick pony army design to win in a single turn. It actually does accomplish that if you don’t or can’t guard against it. I don’t get to play this much because it’s a “rude” list.

Hide contents

Leaders
Knight-Azyros (100)
- General
Gavriel Sureheart (100)
Vandus Hammerhand (280)
- Mount Trait: Keen-clawed
Celestant-Prime (340)

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandblades
5 x Sequitors (120)

Units
3 x Aetherwings (50)
3 x Aetherwings (50)
10 x Evocators (400)
- 10x Grandstaves

Total: 1740 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 5
Wounds: 107

That aint even the proper gav bomb and its still quite good lol

But yeah the whole 20 Sequitors and 10 evocators dont work, since stormfiends and terrorgheists will dish out ****** tons of wounds

Triple ballista with one gav bomb detachment however could work

Edited by jhamslam

4 hours ago, jhamslam said:

But yeah the whole 20 Sequitors and 10 evocators dont work, since stormfiends will dish out ****** tons of wonds

Yeah youre right, im very succesfull with my list. Its kinda nice against fec and in the current meta. Also very flexible pn diffrent match ups. Heres my list if youre interested.

Lord-Castellant (100)
Knight-Heraldor (100)
Gavriel Sureheart (100)
Lord-Arcanum (180)
Lord-Ordinator (140)
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
20 x Sequitors (400)
10 x Evocators (400)
5 x Sequitors (120)
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000

9 hours ago, jhamslam said:

But yeah the whole 20 Sequitors and 10 evocators dont work, since stormfiends will dish out ****** tons of wonds

Agreed I came 2nd at a 36 player Scottish tournie with this:

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum (180)
- General
Lord-Castellant (100)
Lord-Relictor (100)
- Prayer: Translocation
Lord-Ordinator (140)
Gavriel Sureheart (100)

Battleline
20 x Sequitors (400)
- 9x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Sequitors (120)
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers

Units
10 x Evocators (400)
- 5x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Celestial Blades

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Wounds: 138

It won't trouble Gristlegore, I'd imagine, but gives everyone else a game. Just a bit static as I didn't have Heraldor. Only loss was a minor against Sylvaneth which is a tough matchup. 

Was toying with taking it to Heat 2 but I  fancy trying Anvilstrike and am a bit bored of Gav.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, stuntymike said:

Agreed I came 2nd at a 36 player Scottish tournie with this:

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum (180)
- General
Lord-Castellant (100)
Lord-Relictor (100)
- Prayer: Translocation
Lord-Ordinator (140)
Gavriel Sureheart (100)

Battleline
20 x Sequitors (400)
5 x Sequitors (120)
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers

Units
10 x Evocators (400)
- 5x Grandstaves

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)

Total: 1940 / 2000

It won't trouble Gristlegore, I'd imagine, but gives everyone else a game. Just a bit static as I didn't have Heraldor. Only loss was a minor against Sylvaneth which is a tough matchup. 

Was toying with taking it to Heat 2 but I  fancy trying Anvilstrike and am a bit bored of Gav.

It could trouble gristlegore if you hold the ballistas and evos in the sky and drop everything. Gav and Evos take out a monster, then the ballistas take out the general. The rest will require some work 

3 hours ago, jhamslam said:

It could trouble gristlegore if you hold the ballistas and evos in the sky and drop everything. Gav and Evos take out a monster, then the ballistas take out the general. The rest will require some work 

Yeah played last week against fec with 3 terrorgheists. I killed 2 terrorgheists in the first turn.

one i killed with judicators+ heraldor+ 3 balistas.

and the other with gav+ 10 evos(5 grandstaves for attacking with both lines) 

after that i got a double turn and killed the last one😊

I also charged with heraldor buffed 20 sequitors and used my command points for running 6 and rerolling charge roll.

I think this list has a nice potential for handling lists like that.

Edited by Erdemo86

2 hours ago, peasant said:

Hi, can someone explaine how the sequitors' combo of bouncing MW and healing after getting 6 in saves work?

I think it involves the use of some heroes isn't it?

Thanks in advance

To do bouncing mortal wounds you cast Azyrite Halo from a wizard on the Sequitors, fairly simple.

To heal on 6s you put the Warding Lantern ability from the Lord-Castellant on them, then they heal on 7+ (which means 6s heal since you also get +1 save from the lantern). To further improve this you have a general with Staunch Defender with them, or put them in cover.

31 minutes ago, Marzillius said:

To do bouncing mortal wounds you cast Azyrite Halo from a wizard on the Sequitors, fairly simple.

To heal on 6s you put the Warding Lantern ability from the Lord-Castellant on them, then they heal on 7+ (which means 6s heal since you also get +1 save from the lantern). To further improve this you have a general with Staunch Defender with them, or put them in cover.

Thanks, so if I get hit with rend i cant heal?

Tournament report time!

I played in a 30 man tournament this weekend. I finished at 6th place. I played this list:

Lord-Arcanum on Celestial Dracoline (240)
- General
- Trait: Staunch Defender 
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales 
- Spell: Thundershock
- Mount Trait: Pride Leader
Lord-Castellant (100)
Knight-Heraldor (100)
Knight-Incantor (140)
20 x Sequitors (400)
- Tempest Blades and Soulshields
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
6 x Evocators on Dracolines (600)
- 3x Grandstaves
Everblaze Comet (100)

Game 1 vs. Gloomspite Gitz:

He played something like 40 Stabbas, 20 Stabbas, Skragrott, 10 Fanatics, 15 Bounderz, a Manglerboss and some Shamans and chaff squigs. Mission was Total Conquest. He moved 20 Stabbas onto an objective and Hand of Gorked 40 Stabbas 9" from my Dracolines and then deployed his Fanatics. They failed the 6" charge and then they all the Fanatics and Stabbas died from Dracoline and Sequitor melee. His Manglerboss killed 2 Evocators and then got killed by them next turn. The Sequitors tanked on the objective. Then it just ground on with me winning the objective, at the end he only had Skragrott left with like 2 wounds. Win 14-6 (max win is 20 points, max loss is 0).

Game 2 vs. Skaven:

He had a Warpseer with 4+ reroll save and 2x 5+ FNP, a Deciever, 60 Clanrats, 2 Cannons, a Bombardier, 40 Plaguemonks and a Hellpit Abomination. Mission was Three Places of Power. I took first turn and deepstruck my Heraldor onto the second objective and dropped the comet. This combined killed the Bombardier and wounded his cannons a lot. He tentatively moved and killed my Heraldor with the cannons. I won initiative and killed the cannons and took the center and a side objective. He cast Warp Lightning Vortex on the side objective. The Dracolines charged and killed 40 Clanrats. In his turn his Hellpit killed half the Sequitors and then promply died on the return attacks. The explosion killed my character holding the center though, sadly. I won initiative again and the Dracolines killed his Warpseer who was attempting to steal my side objective. I won initiative and the Dracolines charged off and killed his Plaguemonks. I think he won initiative then and killed my side hero with his Deciever, then he got killed by the Dracolines. After this extremely bloody battle it all ended in a draw of 10-10. Very good game!

Game 3 vs. Flesh-Eater Courts:

Gristlegore, great. 3 Terrorgheists (of which 2 were heroes), 20 Ghouls, 3 foot heroes and the Royal Court battalion with Ethereal Amulet on the general. Battle for the Pass. I megabuffed my Sequitors to a 2+ save and then sat on my home objective trying to bait him in. I messed up and moved my Dracolines too far up. On his turn he buffed up and moved up. He cast Cogs with turned out to benefit me A LOT in later turns. I then won initiative and gave him the double turn. He charged in, killed the Dracolines and killed half the Sequitors. Then the Seqs hit back and killed the non-general Terrorgheist. Then I got a double turn and retreat-charged off with the surviving sequitors onto one of the side objectives. The remaining heroes on my objective killed another Terrorgheist. At the same time I kept putting random wounds onto the general. I then won initiative again. I killed his general with some shooting and took his point with the remaining Sequitors. I now control all points in round 3. Then he starts hitting back and takes some points for himself. He takes a lot of secondary points and eventually win 8-12. But I'm very happy with such a small loss against the cheese that is Gristlegore.

Game 4 vs. Legions of Nagash:

He played Nagash, Neferata, 40 Chainrasps, 10 Dire Wolves, a Vampire and 4 extra command points. Mission was Escalation so Nagash and Neferata had to deploy 24" away from the middle line. I got first turn. I pushed up the Sequitors and the Judicators took the side objectives. In his turn the Chainrasps charged the Sequitors who also got -2 to hit from Overwhelming Dread through the spellportal, so nothing much happened in that combat. I won initiative and charged the Dracolines into Neferata and demolished her. Then the Seqs started killing the Chainrasps. The dogs took one of the side points off the Judicators. Nagash then charged the Dracolines and I rolled awful saves and half of them died. Then I messed up and charged Nagash with the Seqs and rolled abysmally. Then we just duked it out in the middle, but I had racked up a lot of points by then and won 12-8. But I could have won by more if I had played better.

Game 5 vs. Skaven:

He had 2 Cannons, a Bombardier, 60 Clanrats, 40 Stormvermin, a Warbringer, a Screaming Bell and a Clawleader or something like that. Mission was Starstrike. I deployed out of threat range of the cannons and gave him first turn. He threw out the Warp Lightning Vortex which didn't do a lot. I then dropped the comet and some Judicators which once again turn 1 deleted the Bombardier. I moved up all my stuff. I got double turn and the Dracolines killed 40 Clanrats. In his turn he killed 1 Dracolines with the cannons. He got double turn and a cannon died from the comet pulse. The other cannon killed another Dracoline, and the Warbringer charged into them. The Stormvermin charged the Seqs who had 2+ save and Azyrite Halo. The Stormvermin had Death Frenzy. They attacked and killed 3 Sequitors, who hit back and killed 18 who attacked back. Then we remembered Azyrite Halo and the Stormvermin took a total of 14 MWs (I rolled a lot of 6s to save). Those 14 then hit back and recieve 5 MWs back. They attack and recieve 3 MWs back. And they all die. They basically killed themselved with the Death Frenzy. The Dracolines killed his Warbringer and the Screaming Bell. We call it and I win 20-0.

Overall impressions: Very happy with the Dracolines, they're a hidden gem in my opinion. 2+ save Sequitor tanks are extremely strong. The comet is bad in a lot of matchups. Judicator Stormbolt Bows roll a lot of 1s to hit. Gristlegore is disgusting vs Stormcast with few screens and little shooting.

Edited by Marzillius
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Marzillius said:

No, not if you have only one +1 save buff on them.

If you have the lantern and staunch and get wounded by a rend -1 attack you would heal on 6s again. Against rend -2 no heals.

If I remember correctly, back in the old days of Warhammer, a 7+ used to mean rolling a 6 then rolling again and getting a 4+. I take it there's zero mention of this sort of thing anywhere in AoS literature.

1 hour ago, Roark said:

If I remember correctly, back in the old days of Warhammer, a 7+ used to mean rolling a 6 then rolling again and getting a 4+. I take it there's zero mention of this sort of thing anywhere in AoS literature.

Correct, in AOS it means you need to try to roll a result of 7 or more. A 5 with +2 modifier is a dice roll of 7.

• Thanks 1

What do people think of this list? The principle is to use Dauntless Hunters to make an aggressive pregame move with the Sequitors, drop Ballista battery in, and the Evocators as a second wave. 

The Prosecutors act as a mobile Ballista (without the same damage output of course but better for scoring), however I am considering dropping them to put the Lord Arcanum on a Gryph-Charger (more wounds, mobility, better synergy at the cost of more models and reduced shooting output, also the Prosecutors look cooler). I could then swap one Sequitor unit for 5 Judicators.

What is recommended?

- Stormhost: Astral Templars

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum (180)
- General
- Trait: Dauntless Hunters  
- Artefact: Godbeast Plate  
Lord-Ordinator (140)
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Lighntning Blast
Knight-Heraldor (100)

Battleline
20 x Sequitors (400)
5 x Sequitors (120)
5 x Sequitors (120)

Units
10 x Evocators (400)
- 10x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Speed of Lightning
3 x Prosecutors with Stormcall Javelins (100)
- 1x Stormsurge Tridents

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0

On 4/22/2019 at 12:10 AM, Marzillius said:

I messed up and moved my Dracolines too far up. On his turn he buffed up and moved up. He cast Cogs with turned out to benefit me A LOT in later turns. I then won initiative and gave him the double turn. He charged in, killed the Dracolines and killed half the Sequitors.

Hmm kinda sounds you gave the game away here?  Cogs + DT feels like you could have killed a lot from him? edit, forgot about the Gristle  CA :D

But cool report :)  and awesome to see evos on dracos 😍

Edited by schwabbele