AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

I'm wanting to run a 2k army based on cleansing phalanx. I have a couple of lists I can build but I find a few problems, either mobility is weak, units are small, or I have no ranged based attacks. Below I'll put the lists of my ideas and I would love to hear your guess positions on them and any changes that should be made or other possible units to help.

The leaders I always plan on keeping the same, I want a few for the heals and translocation. My idea is to use arcanum command point to automatically get an empower off on a group of sequitors. 

This unit is for the mobility of the evocators but most other units are minimum. I wanted some range so I threw in the castigators since they are cheap and I can have quite a few models 

1912023859_Screenshot_20190416-103626_WHAoS.jpg.f5ea6e08838ef13bed2049bb48b185d7.jpg513978409_Screenshot_20190416-103633_WHAoS.jpg.8c8c50e25866dbe6c79c856ba9f62cc0.jpg204522248_Screenshot_20190416-103636_WHAoS.jpg.686f1cedc8e418d863c76bdb3abc7ec8.jpg

This unit bulks up a couple of the sequitors but keeps the units if evos at minimum. I through in I castigators again for some range and they are cheap for range

916162551_Screenshot_20190416-105211_WHAoS.jpg.5b2bc6ec554150eaffaa5af05812b224.jpg1121769777_Screenshot_20190416-105215_WHAoS.jpg.efc9e450ab35c15ea946f88a8f0f104a.jpg1597009145_Screenshot_20190416-105219_WHAoS.jpg.f797c28561725419b82ce1081856832a.jpg

This unit bulks up the evocators to 2x10 with 3x5 of sequitors. No range, small mobility. 

409686821_Screenshot_20190416-103626_WHAoS.jpg.c906db21a6b7d9f54063e467150d8fe3.jpg

1603197478_Screenshot_20190416-105915_WHAoS.jpg.fecac50a757d9eb09f56ef9de157bce6.jpg512026707_Screenshot_20190416-105917_WHAoS.jpg.427a48b8a6c8854a51312606c71fe182.jpg

What should be changed out of all of these to meet that perfect middle ground? I could drop the castigators for judicators and I could drop a hero to bulk a unit or bring in another unit of something. I also had a build where it was 3×5 sequitors, 2x5 evocators, i dropped celestant and replaced him with ordinator and had 3 ballistas going 

12 hours ago, Talunus said:

The leaders I always plan on keeping the same, I want a few for the heals and translocation. My idea is to use arcanum command point to automatically get an empower off on a group of sequitors. 

Disclaimer: Haven't actually played new SCE
But first, you will ALWAYS be weak on something if you invest 800 points into heroes and battalion
Second, why HoS? They exist for their characters, not their stormhost abilities
Third - Judicators>Castigators, they are simply better

Unless you face armies like FEC Gristlegore that will kill you in melee no matter what, you don't need neither massed shooting, nor you will struggle without those MWs from heroes. So for a Cleansing Phalanx I'd go for something like this:

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (240)
- General
- Trait: Staunch Defender 
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales 
- Spell: Thundershock
- Mount Trait: Wind Runner
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
Lord-Castellant (100)
- Artefact: Thermalrider Cloak 

Battleline
10 x Sequitors (240)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
- 5x Stormsmite Greatmaces
10 x Sequitors (240)
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows

Units
3 x Evocators on Dracolines (300)
- 2x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Celestial Blades
10 x Evocators (400)
- 5x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Speed of Lightning
10 x Skinks (60)
- Meteoric Javelins & Star Bucklers

Battalions
Cleansing Phalanx (120)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 123

Here you have decent mobility, your castellant can follow anything, you can Wind Run your general onto objective and Scion 10 seq to protect him, your juds will poke opponent's monsters and heroes and they are a good option for your 3rd BL, instead you can change them for libs or seq, drop skinks and add another hero. 

With your units being big and tough you'll be able to take some punishment instead of loosing units after one opponent's activation. 

7 hours ago, XReN said:

Disclaimer: Haven't actually played new SCE
But first, you will ALWAYS be weak on something if you invest 800 points into heroes and battalion
Second, why HoS? They exist for their characters, not their stormhost abilities
Third - Judicators>Castigators, they are simply better

Unless you face armies like FEC Gristlegore that will kill you in melee no matter what, you don't need neither massed shooting, nor you will struggle without those MWs from heroes. So for a Cleansing Phalanx I'd go for something like this:

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (240)
- General
- Trait: Staunch Defender 
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales 
- Spell: Thundershock
- Mount Trait: Wind Runner
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
Lord-Castellant (100)
- Artefact: Thermalrider Cloak 

Battleline
10 x Sequitors (240)
10 x Sequitors (240)
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows

Units
3 x Evocators on Dracolines (300)
- 2x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Celestial Blades
10 x Evocators (400)
- 5x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Speed of Lightning
10 x Skinks (60)
- Meteoric Javelins & Star Bucklers

Battalions
Cleansing Phalanx (120)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 123

Here you have decent mobility, your castellant can follow anything, you can Wind Run your general onto objective and Scion 10 seq to protect him, your juds will poke opponent's monsters and heroes and they are a good option for your 3rd BL, instead you can change them for libs or seq, drop skinks and add another hero. 

With your units being big and tough you'll be able to take some punishment instead of loosing units after one opponent's activation. 

My general idea with the heroes was to have heavy heals and the revive from arcanum to keep troops up with HoS reviving a complete unit. I liked heraldor for movement boost as well as some good aos dmg. Because I'm learning still, why would I want a castellant over the relictor heals and herolders movement? 

10 hours ago, frostfire said:

Basically building up an Anvil list  with 9 longstrikes and 10 evocators, hoping it works well against armies like Gristlegore FEC and LoN .:) 

The matchups are interesting if nothing else. The list has the capability to drop a big monster per turn, but that's mitigated somewhat if they bring Ethereal Amulet on a big dude. Also, against Nagash LoN, killing Nagash is.... not easy, even with double tapping Longstrikes. But, you have a better shot at it than most armies in the game, which is a pretty solid ask.

Just hope you don't face them in Duality of Death or Relocation Orb... which I always do.

2 minutes ago, Requizen said:

The matchups are interesting if nothing else. The list has the capability to drop a big monster per turn, but that's mitigated somewhat if they bring Ethereal Amulet on a big dude. Also, against Nagash LoN, killing Nagash is.... not easy, even with double tapping Longstrikes. But, you have a better shot at it than most armies in the game, which is a pretty solid ask.

Just hope you don't face them in Duality of Death or Relocation Orb... which I always do.

Exactly, all FEC players bring their dragons with the amulet, which make it much harder to kill the dragon in a turn. Haven't been dealing with new FEC, so it's much of a challenge for me. But I think it would be quite fun to stop their from charging my crossbowmen with the birds.:P  Quadruple  tapping with Longstrikes(if they dont double turn me)is almost guaranteed death to the dragon.

7 minutes ago, frostfire said:

Exactly, all FEC players bring their dragons with the amulet, which make it much harder to kill the dragon in a turn. Haven't been dealing with new FEC, so it's much of a challenge for me. But I think it would be quite fun to stop their from charging my crossbowmen with the birds.:P  Quadruple  tapping with Longstrikes(if they dont double turn me)is almost guaranteed death to the dragon.

Well if they're Gristlegore, they need a Battalion to get Ethereal Amulet, which limits their build quite a bit. Event then, you should pop them in a turn with the Evos if you get into combat, assuming you can pull off a charge that doesn't let them attack first. It's a very position heavy matchup, and like I said the mission will affect it quite a bit. 

10 minutes ago, Talunus said:

Who would you guys choose as a general for anvilstrike? @frostfire @Requizen

Mine is just an Incantor. You're not running any heavy fighty Heroes, so my thought is that the most important thing for generalship is to get that extra range for the CA, and the Incantor is least likely to be hugging a unit that you want to activate extra times, so could use the extra 9" radius.

Plus, since I often throw her into hordes to use her Vials, the -1 Bravery is sometimes useful.

7 minutes ago, Requizen said:

Mine is just an Incantor. You're not running any heavy fighty Heroes, so my thought is that the most important thing for generalship is to get that extra range for the CA, and the Incantor is least likely to be hugging a unit that you want to activate extra times, so could use the extra 9" radius.

Plus, since I often throw her into hordes to use her Vials, the -1 Bravery is sometimes useful.

CA stands for command ability I take it? What CA is it you want to activate heavily in anvilstrike?

15 minutes ago, Talunus said:

Who would you guys choose as a general for anvilstrike? @frostfire @Requizen

I totally agree with Requizen since the this general doesnt do much than expanding the range for the CA. I might choose Relictor as my general because he tends to stay with the longstrikes for transloaction.

Speaking of Relictor, I am trying to replace him with the Veritant. He costs 120, but gives your a dog, and he can unbind a spell(potentially +3 to the roll), has 6wounds which Relictor just got his 5wounds, even can do some mortal wounds to enemy wizard! It 's not too fancy but I am really considering him as an optional priest.

2 hours ago, Talunus said:

CA stands for command ability I take it? What CA is it you want to activate heavily in anvilstrike?

The point of Anvilstrike is to take the Anvils of the Heldenhammer Stormhost and use the specific CA that the Stormhost grants them, which allows a unit to shoot or fight an extra time in your Hero Phase. This can happen 9" away from a Hero, or 18" away from the General. 

18" is a big bubble, so you can often Translocate your Longstrikes aggressively and then use the aura from your Incantor to give them the ability to shoot.

8 hours ago, Requizen said:

Event then, you should pop them in a turn with the Evos if you get into combat, assuming you can pull off a charge that doesn't let them attack first.

How that works btw? I always think that is not an option to take the Terrorgheist out in combat.

15 hours ago, Talunus said:

My general idea with the heroes was to have heavy heals and the revive from arcanum to keep troops up with HoS reviving a complete unit. I liked heraldor for movement boost as well as some good aos dmg. Because I'm learning still, why would I want a castellant over the relictor heals and herolders movement? 

The only units worth those heals are your heroes and Dracolines, HoS will revive only your sequitors (or liberators if you run them) and you only get one chance to do this, on a 5+
Those units of yours are not worth CPs being spent this way and not spent for Arcanum's CA. 
Heraldor is great and all, but you are trying to fit too many things in the list
Relictor's heals require you to roll a 3+ Castellant gives you heals from saves automatically, both only worth considering on models with 5 or more wounds, 2 or 3 is not enough to make a world of a difference with those heals.
Also Castellant's main buff (+1 save) does not require your units to take damage or be destroyed to actually be used which is automatically better
And he is also tougher then heraldor or relictor.

In the end you can try all, but if don't own models yet, Castellant goes first

General tips for the list: don't try to fit too much into the list
If you want to go Phalanx - go Phalanx, get low drops to try and secure turn order, get bigger units of sequitors to benefit from battalion's ability
If you want to go for utility heroes take what works best with them:
You can have LA on Charger with Staunch Defender, a Stardrake and 20 sequitors as your core, so you can catch up with stardrake thanks to wind ride, heal him d6 wounds on 7+ and buff sequitors all at the same time
Get heavy cav for heraldor to allow retreat and charge, fulminators and dracolines will love it most
Get big or shooty units for the translocation

14 hours ago, frostfire said:

How that works btw? I always think that is not an option to take the Terrorgheist out in combat.

Depends on the setup. If the Terrorgheist is next to another unit, say some Horrors, you can charge the Horrors and only tag them with 1 Evocators, and then string the rest of the Evos in a line 3.1" away from the Terrorgheist. Now the TG is not eligible to pile in and attack (so skips the "start of combat phase" modifier for Gristlegore), and you pile in and attack with the Evos. Even though you aren't within 3" of the TG, he's still the closest model, so you pile in towards him and attack. Then you hit him with the MW jazz hands. 

Alternatively, if you want to play a bit more risky, you can charge one unit and string just one Evocator to be 3.1" away from the TG, and then only pile in .2" and hit him with the jazz hands only while attacking the other unit, though this has the downside of potentially whiffing on the MW roll. 

• Like 1

With a small doubles tournament upcoming (700 pts a side with KO) I’m looking at some decimators for some horde decimation. 

Just undecided  on the maces. Two for some mortal wounds or go all in on the axes for more attacks. 

(Basic plan is I shield his thunderers and skyhooks with a khemist, that goes after the hard targets. My job is protecting him and dropping on objectives. We’re only missing something on the horde destroying front) 

7 minutes ago, Kramer said:

With a small doubles tournament upcoming (700 pts a side with KO) I’m looking at some decimators for some horde decimation. 

Just undecided  on the maces. Two for some mortal wounds or go all in on the axes for more attacks. 

(Basic plan is I shield his thunderers and skyhooks with a khemist, that goes after the hard targets. My job is protecting him and dropping on objectives. We’re only missing something on the horde destroying front) 

2 maces worked for me quite well in AoS 1, 3 axes were able to cut down hordes fast enough and maces even killed Drycha once. But with such ally as KO I'd rather go full on axes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Requizen said:

Depends on the setup. If the Terrorgheist is next to another unit, say some Horrors, you can charge the Horrors and only tag them with 1 Evocators, and then string the rest of the Evos in a line 3.1" away from the Terrorgheist. Now the TG is not eligible to pile in and attack (so skips the "start of combat phase" modifier for Gristlegore), and you pile in and attack with the Evos. Even though you aren't within 3" of the TG, he's still the closest model, so you pile in towards him and attack. Then you hit him with the MW jazz hands. 

Alternatively, if you want to play a bit more risky, you can charge one unit and string just one Evocator to be 3.1" away from the TG, and then only pile in .2" and hit him with the jazz hands only while attacking the other unit, though this has the downside of potentially whiffing on the MW roll. 

That sounds practical. It's really helpful. Thanks a lot^_^

Just now, The World Tree said:

WIth the Anvils command ability, let's say I'm 4" away from an enemy model, can I use it to pile in and attack in the hero phase despite not being engaged at the start of the phase?

Yes - the ability does not check if there are any enemies within 3".

There is no such thing as "being engaged". 

Edited by PJetski

1 hour ago, XReN said:

2 maces worked for me quite well in AoS 1, 3 axes were able to cut down hordes fast enough and maces even killed Drycha once. But with such ally as KO I'd rather go full on axes

Yeah that’s exactly the fence I’m on. Hmm I might just try to magnetise them when they get in then ;) rule of cool says axes. Brutal looking and just the amount of dice you get to roll when we play Skaven or goblins. They must be in attendance by then 😁

thanks!

17 minutes ago, Mark Williams said:

The idea of charging a nearby unit with 1 model and then forming a 3” ring away from the dragon so that you can fight first is pretty cheesy.... perfectly okay with the rules, but damn that’s gonna result in some anger on the table....

Why? It's just good strategy

• Like 2