AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

3 hours ago, Turragor said:

Hedgehog stardrakes love them (if you engage the units right and aren't  just losing objective points every round).

A Drake with Staunch, Lantern, Mystic Shield and Azyrite Halo is laughing. 

You may enjoy Faction Focus Stormcast Eternals which is hot off the press (recorded moments ago).

Join Nathan P. (@Nathanrollsones), Shaun Bates (@AOSshaun89)  & I (@AnthonyMagro) as we unpack the Stormcast Eternals in Warhammer Age of Sigmar. 

In this video, we explore the factions strengths, weaknesses, list builds, tactics, and recommendations. These generals are highly experienced in this allegiance and will help both new and experienced players.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Erdemo86 said:

Are dracolines compared to evocators on foot worth it?

feels like normal evos hit harder and cost 100 less points.

and how much grandweapons are in a 10x sequitor box?

Yes, if you have a Lord-Arcanum on Dracoline with the Pride Leader trait

Evocators on foot do more mortal wounds but the ones on Dracolines do a lot more regular damage and are much faster.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2019 at 3:25 PM, AngryPomeranian said:

so...how exactly relictor with translocation works with vangards?And is it true that vangards have 24" in command phase ?

I've always played it 30" in the Hero Phase. I make sure to ask a TO at the beginning of each event, and they have always ruled this way. There is no official GW FAQ regarding this issue, but I've had at least 3 TOs rule that "not moving in the Movement Phase" is still met if you're in the Hero Phase. Keep in mind this may change if you talk to your local judge/TO, but that's a different question.

Translocation doesn't count as having moved, so you retain the extra 6".

28 minutes ago, PJetski said:

I've been playing it as 24" and I've gotten rank #2 ITC worldwide, but I wouldn't mind if they ruled it the other way 😂

TBH it's not a big deal if they put it at 24" in Hero, I'll just put them and the Relictor in the sky T1 unless I'm sure the enemy is coming towards me (and can't reach/shoot them). The list is strong enough and honestly past the first turn you should be in 24" of most things you want to shoot anyways. 

Though I am looking at other lists for when the shoe falls. Between Skaven, Anvilstrike, potentially new Fyreslayers, and the inevitable Sylvaneth and Bonesplitterz updates, I think you'll start to see a non-zero amount of anti-shooting tech in armies, and then we'll have to start leaning on other things in our toolkit going forwards. 

Luckily, we're Stormcast, and have at least: Unkillable Stardrake, Punch Yourself Stardrake, Sacrosanct Spam, Gav Bomb (or variant thereof), and a potential heavy Cav list I'm looking at. There's a lot of potential even if Anvilstrike takes a hit.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Warbossironteef said:

So as someone interested in playing Stormcast, just bought a few models, is it okay if I ask a couple noob questions? i'm sure they are almost all answered somewhere here but it's up to 186 pages at this point :) 

That's what the thread is for, fire away.

Noobie Stormcast questions:

-I think the math says swords are better on Sequitors. Do people just use hammers because they only come with hammers from the starter set?

-How do people generally run their Evocators? A mix or usually all Staves or Swords?

-I really like the look of Judicators. They are a little expensive but seem like a super solid battleline. Are they used in competitive lists?

-How cheesy is 3xCelestar Ballista and 9xLongstrike? It seems like it wouldn't be fun for your opponents in a casual setting. 

-Final question: Lord Arcanum seems awesome. Is the Griffon verison viable? I love the model. 

4 hours ago, Requizen said:

Luckily, we're Stormcast, and have at least: Unkillable Stardrake, Punch Yourself Stardrake, Sacrosanct Spam, Gav Bomb (or variant thereof), and a potential heavy Cav list I'm looking at. There's a lot of potential even if Anvilstrike takes a hit.

What exactly would the stardrake list look like? I'm still playing around with Anvilstrike, but I was also considering the stardrake as a potential list going forward.

13 minutes ago, Warbossironteef said:

Noobie Stormcast questions:

-I think the math says swords are better on Sequitors. Do people just use hammers because they only come with hammers from the starter set?

-How do people generally run their Evocators? A mix or usually all Staves or Swords?

-I really like the look of Judicators. They are a little expensive but seem like a super solid battleline. Are they used in competitive lists?

-How cheesy is 3xCelestar Ballista and 9xLongstrike? It seems like it wouldn't be fun for your opponents in a casual setting. 

-Final question: Lord Arcanum seems awesome. Is the Griffon verison viable? I love the model. 

1) Swords are better, but Hammers are cooler, personal opinion. You're correct in that most people use them because the easy-build kits use them, and it doesn't really matter. The difference in damage is fairly negligible, as most of the punch in the unit comes from the Grandhammers.

2) Grandstaves are better against most targets, and allow you to fight in two ranks. If you take anything above the minimum, Grandstaves are recommended if nothing for the reach alone. Both are fine, though, since you get the Jazz Hands no matter which option you choose.

3) Yes and no. They are a solid choice, but most lists either run pure minimum Battleline (3x5 Liberators) or go heavy on Sequitors since they're very good for their points. Judicators are in an odd spot due to their price and the fact that their role is kind of hazy - Raptors and Ballistas shoot better, for the most part, and Liberators and Sequitors hold objectives better - but they're far from bad. If you want to use them, use them. They're not the killiest units in the game, but they are a Battleline unit that can participate in damage while holding side objectives and can occasionally pop off and deal solid damage to an important model. 

4) Not cheesy at all, since you'd be so heavy into shooting that you don't really have room for much else. There will be armies that you table because they can't make it to you before dying, but there'd also be armies that just get to you and kill you since you have no models to hold objectives/screen with. Maybe there's a build there that loads up on Libs/allied Skinks, but just those 12 models together isn't really that broken.

5) If you mean the Gryph-Charger that comes in Soul Wars, yes he's extremely viable. If you mean the big Tauralon (which isn't a Griffon but looks like one), then... yes kinda but not really. He's a solid support unit with double casting and some reasonable melee potential, but you'd be better off taking the Gryph-Charger version instead and using those 100 points elsewhere. It's not bad, but not excellent.

Just now, stus67 said:

What exactly would the stardrake list look like? I'm still playing around with Anvilstrike, but I was also considering the stardrake as a potential list going forward.

Both are fairly similar. Core is Stardrake with Staunch Defender + Castellant and then things to support. Relictor and Heraldor are good Support units, as is an Incantor for dispels. You might want bodies like 20 Sequitors, or beta-charge units like Evocators/Fulminators. 

Unkillable Stardrake lists will take Ignax's Scales and then focus on using the really hard to kill Stardrake to lock down poritions of the board while the rest of the army cleans up. This will often take the form of holding back the Stardrake, and then charging it into a threat in such a way that you lock it down for multiple turns or until he can get assistance from Fulmis/Evos to kill the unit. You may also invest more in debuffs/buffs to keep it alive, such as a Life Battlemage who can heal and give an extra shrug save, or multiple Relictors to pop out multiple -1Hit debuffs.

Punch Yourself Stardrake is a variant where you take Smouldering Helm (or similar) as the Artifact and then stack Save buffs and Azyrite Halo to force the opponent to blow themselves up. This variant will often result in as many MWs reflected onto the opponent as attacks they made - I once had a mid-sized unit of skeletons force 12 saves and then take 17MWs back. With this build, you play much more aggressively with the Stardrake, forcing the opponent to attack it as much as possible. Your Stardrake often dies with this sort of build, especially against opponents with lots of MW output, but it generally deals far more damage than the previous version. 

Here's a general list for the former:

Stardrake - Staunch Defender, Ignax's Scales, Keen Clawed
Castellant
Heraldor
Incantor

Liberators
Liberators
Liberators

Fulminators
Fulminators
Skinks
Skinks
Skinks

Everblaze Comet
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh

2000/2000

Here's a possible list for the latter:

Stardrake - Staunch Defender, Smouldering Helm, Keen Clawed
Castellant
Heraldor
Incantor - Azyrite Halo

Liberators
Liberators
Liberators

Evocators x10
Sequitors x20

2000/2000

They're similar, but play differently on the table. The former wants to zone out with the throwaway units, and then hard engage with the Stardrake and Fulmis only once the opponent has committed to a position, moving out as a spearhead (or splitting off one of the three units depending). The second one wants to move up the board as a singular force, getting the Sequitors and Stardrake stuck in asap, so they might deal early damage and then sweep in with Heraldor + Evocators for the cleanup.

I personally play a bit more cautious with my Stardrake games, so I play something similar to the first one a lot, but I could see either doing well at an event. The main difference in any case is what you charge and how, and how the support units work together on the table. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Requizen said:

1) Swords are better, but Hammers are cooler, personal opinion. You're correct in that most people use them because the easy-build kits use them, and it doesn't really matter. The difference in damage is fairly negligible, as most of the punch in the unit comes from the Grandhammers.

2) Grandstaves are better against most targets, and allow you to fight in two ranks. If you take anything above the minimum, Grandstaves are recommended if nothing for the reach alone. Both are fine, though, since you get the Jazz Hands no matter which option you choose.

3) Yes and no. They are a solid choice, but most lists either run pure minimum Battleline (3x5 Liberators) or go heavy on Sequitors since they're very good for their points. Judicators are in an odd spot due to their price and the fact that their role is kind of hazy - Raptors and Ballistas shoot better, for the most part, and Liberators and Sequitors hold objectives better - but they're far from bad. If you want to use them, use them. They're not the killiest units in the game, but they are a Battleline unit that can participate in damage while holding side objectives and can occasionally pop off and deal solid damage to an important model. 

4) Not cheesy at all, since you'd be so heavy into shooting that you don't really have room for much else. There will be armies that you table because they can't make it to you before dying, but there'd also be armies that just get to you and kill you since you have no models to hold objectives/screen with. Maybe there's a build there that loads up on Libs/allied Skinks, but just those 12 models together isn't really that broken.

5) If you mean the Gryph-Charger that comes in Soul Wars, yes he's extremely viable. If you mean the big Tauralon (which isn't a Griffon but looks like one), then... yes kinda but not really. He's a solid support unit with double casting and some reasonable melee potential, but you'd be better off taking the Gryph-Charger version instead and using those 100 points elsewhere. It's not bad, but not excellent.

Both are fairly similar. Core is Stardrake with Staunch Defender + Castellant and then things to support. Relictor and Heraldor are good Support units, as is an Incantor for dispels. You might want bodies like 20 Sequitors, or beta-charge units like Evocators/Fulminators. 

Unkillable Stardrake lists will take Ignax's Scales and then focus on using the really hard to kill Stardrake to lock down poritions of the board while the rest of the army cleans up. This will often take the form of holding back the Stardrake, and then charging it into a threat in such a way that you lock it down for multiple turns or until he can get assistance from Fulmis/Evos to kill the unit. You may also invest more in debuffs/buffs to keep it alive, such as a Life Battlemage who can heal and give an extra shrug save, or multiple Relictors to pop out multiple -1Hit debuffs.

Punch Yourself Stardrake is a variant where you take Smouldering Helm (or similar) as the Artifact and then stack Save buffs and Azyrite Halo to force the opponent to blow themselves up. This variant will often result in as many MWs reflected onto the opponent as attacks they made - I once had a mid-sized unit of skeletons force 12 saves and then take 17MWs back. With this build, you play much more aggressively with the Stardrake, forcing the opponent to attack it as much as possible. Your Stardrake often dies with this sort of build, especially against opponents with lots of MW output, but it generally deals far more damage than the previous version. 

Here's a general list for the former:

Stardrake - Staunch Defender, Ignax's Scales, Keen Clawed
Castellant
Heraldor
Incantor

Liberators
Liberators
Liberators

Fulminators
Fulminators
Skinks
Skinks
Skinks

Everblaze Comet
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh

2000/2000

Here's a possible list for the latter:

Stardrake - Staunch Defender, Smouldering Helm, Keen Clawed
Castellant
Heraldor
Incantor - Azyrite Halo

Liberators
Liberators
Liberators

Evocators x10
Sequitors x20

2000/2000

They're similar, but play differently on the table. The former wants to zone out with the throwaway units, and then hard engage with the Stardrake and Fulmis only once the opponent has committed to a position, moving out as a spearhead (or splitting off one of the three units depending). The second one wants to move up the board as a singular force, getting the Sequitors and Stardrake stuck in asap, so they might deal early damage and then sweep in with Heraldor + Evocators for the cleanup.

I personally play a bit more cautious with my Stardrake games, so I play something similar to the first one a lot, but I could see either doing well at an event. The main difference in any case is what you charge and how, and how the support units work together on the table. 

Thank you! I appreciate the responses! 

12 hours ago, Tizianolol said:

Guys are there any competitive lists with stardrake and celestian prime played together? I heared about that but I don’t remember the list! Can you help me?:) 

Hi,

I have long played Stardrake and Celestant Prime in my lists and I have always done well.

I have a tournament on April 22 and I intend to play this list that I find quite versatile. There are four threats, namely the Stardrake, the Celetant Prime, the 10 Evocators and the 2 Fulminators.

The Comet of the Prime can pair with the D6 units D3 mortal wounds in the 4+ shooting phase of the Stardrake and be able to finish a hero with the Judicator see the Fulminator if they are close to the enemy.

The Libérators for objo or make a barrier to enemies. The Judicators purely objos and Attention messire for the Castellant When.

Sorry for my english, I'm French.

Lord-Celestant on Stardrake (560)
- General
- Command Trait : Staunch Defender
- Celestine Hammer
- Artefact : Ignax's Scales
- Mount Trait : Keen-clawed

Lord-Castellant (100)

Celestant-Prime (340)

UNITS

5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1 x Grandhammers

5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1 x Grandhammers

5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1 x Shockbolt Bows

10 x Evocators (400)
- 5 x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration : Speed of Lightning

2 x Fulminators (240)

2000/2000 points

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Talunus said:

Hey guys I'm confused on Evocators. The warscroll says that as long as there are 2 or more models in the unit, they count as a wizard class, however they can only cast empower. How come I see previous lists with a spell for the evocators?

It was FAQed

Page 122 – Lore of Invigoration Add the following under the title: ‘Units of Evocators can know and attempt to cast one spell from the Lore of Invigoration. This is an exception to the rule that they cannot attempt to cast spells other than Empower. If a unit of Evocators attempts to cast a spell from the Lore of Invigoration, it cannot attempt to cast any other spells in that hero phase.’

So they can cast Empower, or their spell from the Lore of Invigoration