AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Edit: For command trait I figure staunch defender, artefact Staff of focus and mount trait Steel pinions. Arcanum general and got the artefacts. Maybe drop battlemage, exchange geminids for spellportal and add a unit of Prosecs or Libs. I think I'd rather have a second incantor than a battlemage though. Most of their unique stuff is featured in the realmspells.

Barely got any response on fb so I'm reposting this here. Let me know what you think!

"Looking at how I want to build my Stormcast list, I wanna play around with allies and have some shooting. Phoenix is lovely model, good unit, battlemage has some nifty extra abilities. Plan is to bubblewrap with sequitors, most things will probably wanna huddle close to that. Decimators dropped on a objective or close to blob unit, they're quite sacrifical but will be a pain to kill. Buff phoenix, spam spells, go to town. What do you reckon of this list, what would you do different?"

StormCASTINGROLLS.jpg

Edited by izirath

Hey all,

I’m hoping to get some feedback on my Stormcast list. Im new to the game and have built around the Soul Wars box and tried to expand it with the right hero units to support what I have. 

My list is attached.

To give a brief overview of My thought process: 

1. The obvious Aplha Strike option using 10 Evocators and Gav. Flexible as a deployed unit if I instead decide to Deep Strike the Balistae.

2. Plenty of Wounds and potential damage in the battle lines. The Sequitor units will be able to hold objectives and hold off enemy units for a bit of board control as well. 

3. Small unit of liberators to help with board control/holding back field objectives and denying enemy Deep Strike. 

4. Relictor included for translocation prayer for quick reinforcements if needed and to help with the Stormcasts poor movement.

5. Heralder included for the run and charge buff to help mostly the sequitors if they need to intercept or get somewhere a little faster. Also the Terrain horn is fun as hell.

6. Included the Balistae as my shooting option with a plan to either deploy in my backfield to shots into enemy battle line or to hold in reserve and deep strike against priority targets. 

7. Ordinator to buff the Balistae... this is the choice I am least confident with and would love to hear some thoughts! Is he worth bringing along or would I be better off investing points elsewhere? 

As as a separate question... what are the best uses for Castigators? I have so many of the damn things ! 

Thanks in advance! 

Stormcast.pdf

Edited by Kelsicle

3 minutes ago, Kelsicle said:

Hey all,

I’m hoping to get some feedback on my Stormcast list. Im new to the game and have built around the Soul Wars box and tried to expand it with the right hero units to support what I have. 

My list is attached.

To give a brief overview of My thought process: 

1. The obvious Aplha Strike option using 10 Evocators and Gav. Flexible as a deployed unit if I instead decide to Deep Strike the Balistae.

2. Plenty of Wounds and potential damage in the battle lines. The Sequitor units will be able to hold objectives and hold off enemy units for a bit of board control as well. 

3. Small unit of liberators to help with board control/holding back field objectives and denying enemy Deep Strike. 

4. Relictor included for translocation prayer for quick reinforcements if needed and to help with the Stormcasts poor movement.

5. Heralder included for the run and charge buff to help mostly the sequitors if they need to intercept or get somewhere a little faster. Also the Terrain horn is fun as hell.

6. Included the Balistae as my shooting option with a plan to either deploy in my backfield to shots into enemy battle line or to hold in reserve and deep strike against priority targets. 

7. Ordinator to buff the Balistae... this is the choice I am least confident with and would love to hear some thoughts! Is he worth bringing along or would I be better off investing points elsewhere? 

As as a separate question... what are the best uses for Castigators? I have so many of the damn things ! 

Thanks in advance! 

Stormcast.pdf

ordinator is not worth bringing if you have less than 3 ballista in your list....

Your list will have only 1 CP at the beginning of your first turn, so you still have to do a 6" charges for evocators, I don't like this idea personally.

48 minutes ago, HammerOfSigmar said:

ordinator is not worth bringing if you have less than 3 ballista in your list....

Your list will have only 1 CP at the beginning of your first turn, so you still have to do a 6" charges for evocators, I don't like this idea personally.

What do you think would be a good alternative to the Ordinator in this case? I could include additional Liberators or a second Knight-Incantor or add A unit of Castigators and start with an extra CP for the charge.

On 2/22/2019 at 10:03 PM, Marzillius said:

I played 3 Ballistas and an Ordinator in a tournament last weekend. They were a continual disappointment. I deep striked them along with the Ordinator within 18" of a priority target and usually took it out or heavily damaged it (they do hit really hard). But then they usually get charged by some chaff and have to shoot at them for the following 2-3 turns. Or they just get killed if they are outside of cover. Then they are soooooo slow and clunky. Only 3" move and each unit counts as only one model, so once they're deployed they aren't going anywhere, and they can't hold objectives very well. I found them to be a complete liability not worth 440 points. Use maybe one or two Ballistas as fire-support, but don't use an entire Ordinator battery. Not worth it.

I think it's a matter of where you place them. It helps if you have units that can clear/hold a drop zone for them, especially on an objective.  I've found myself more disappointed with two ballistas than the current 3 & LO which i'm running.

Even though I've been the biggest advocate for it, I'm thinking of shifting away from the Longstrike Anvils build if the army shifts into more shooting, which it will, since Skaven are out, and people are realizing the Stormcast can shoot as well. Taking 9 Longstrikes into an enemy shooting list is a game of chicken - who can shoot off the other army's shooting first? Can they do it before the melee bricks get in?

Meanwhile, 3-4 Ballistas behind 20 Staunch Sequitors is way more flexible, if much less killy at a range. Not to mention the Ballista v Longstrike list is, imo heavy favored into the Ballistas. I'll experiment a bit and see how Skaven shakes out, but I can already forsee the changes I'd make.

1 hour ago, Requizen said:

Even though I've been the biggest advocate for it, I'm thinking of shifting away from the Longstrike Anvils build if the army shifts into more shooting, which it will, since Skaven are out, and people are realizing the Stormcast can shoot as well. Taking 9 Longstrikes into an enemy shooting list is a game of chicken - who can shoot off the other army's shooting first? Can they do it before the melee bricks get in?

Meanwhile, 3-4 Ballistas behind 20 Staunch Sequitors is way more flexible, if much less killy at a range. Not to mention the Ballista v Longstrike list is, imo heavy favored into the Ballistas. I'll experiment a bit and see how Skaven shakes out, but I can already forsee the changes I'd make.

This is where Im heading too. The quality is lower but the flexibility and durability is higher. A different Stormhost is probably better for them than Anvils, mind.

34 minutes ago, The World Tree said:

This is where Im heading too. The quality is lower but the flexibility and durability is higher. A different Stormhost is probably better for them than Anvils, mind.

Mayb the astral templers could help +1 to hit monsters and plus 1 to wound command ability ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Twh30 said:

Mayb the astral templers could help +1 to hit monsters and plus 1 to wound command ability ? 

I think a lot of agressive magic to mess up backline is going to be important vs Skaven so Celestial Warbringers might be worth a shout. Take a SD who are already good against hordes and you’ve got the makings of a fun Magic cabal.  Or a Tauralon to fly over stuff with a Ballistae battery, although that’s a trade of +1 to cast vs one free spell.

Their free re-deployment could be quite instrumental in messing up their artillery placement as well. Think you’ll see more Liberators with Skaven around because people aren’t going to want to see anything more than their cheapest units  MW’d into oblivion by warmachines.

Edited by Nos

4 hours ago, Twh30 said:

Definitely a good Stormhost for 4 ballistae + Ordinator in the current meta IMO. The big centrepiece models just get pasted...

Edited by Roark

1 hour ago, Roark said:

Definitely a good Stormhost for 4 ballistae + Ordinator in the current meta IMO. The big centrepiece models just get pasted...

Have you look at pairing it with soulstrike brotherhood with say 12 castigators stopped in on a monster 24 shots -2 rend ? 2+  to hit 

6 hours ago, Requizen said:

Anvils vs Skaven shooting seems to be heavily favoured for the Stormcast player, at least in my experience. Longstrikes outrange WLC (29" vs 27"), you can translocate to the spot you need to snipe whatever you need because Skaven have lousy board control, and 2 dispel scrolls stop the important spells (like combo mirrors). The real threat is Plagueclaws with their 34" threat range, but you can deep strike and/or Translocate into a good shooting position and Im not sure 4x Plagueclaw lists are a viable choice to go 5-0 in a tournament setting.

On 2/22/2019 at 4:31 AM, Synidus said:

Here's a tweaked list that i made::

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Tempest Lords
Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Lord-Aquilor (200)
- General
- Trait: Bonds of Noble Duty 
- Artefact: Patrician's Helm 
- Mount Trait: Aethereal Stalker
Lord-Ordinator (140)
Knight-Incantor (140)

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warblade & Shield
- 1x Grandblades
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warblade & Shield
- 1x Grandblades
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warblade & Shield
- 1x Grandblades

Units
6 x Vanguard-Palladors (400)
- Boltstorm Pistols and Starstrike Javelins
10 x Evocators (400)
- 5x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Speed of Lightning

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)

Endless Spells
Everblaze Comet (100)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 128

I know the point about having only one spellcaster to cast Everblaze, but unless i have a stardrake or tauralon (both of which i don't have) there's not much else i can do to increase my casting chances.

The ordinator, ballistas & evos will be deepstriking. While the Aquilor will be roaming and flanking with the palladors.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance

I've been running a very similar list for awhile.  I really like the Pallador and Lord-Aquilor models and am trying to make a list where I can use the.  The list is supr fun to play but my win/loss record is not great.  Lots of close games against good players though.  I use the same blocks of 10 Evocators and 6 Palladors with a Lord-Aquilor mostly there to move the Palladors around.  I go back and forth between Celestial Vindicators and Astral Templars.  With the Templars I've used 3-4 Ballista with an ordinator, I typically have 2 Ballista.  I've never used the Comet, but I'd like to try it.  Some thoughts on how the parts work:

Six Palladors hit really hard as Cellestial Vindicators when buffed (reroll ones to hit on charge and extra attack from command ability).  Without the command ability and reroll, they are usually disappointing.  Still good for getting a medium hitting unit in the backfield or at least forcing them to prepare for it.  I've been thinking of changing to two units of 3 when running as Astral Templars and just using them for disruption.

Dropping in Evocators doesn't really work if you don't have some way to buff the charge.  Even with Cogs (which I use sometimes) it still isn't really a great chance.  I've been using them with a Heraldor.  They work much better given a run and charge.  They do great work but tend to draw all the fire and die pretty quick.  It makes them tricky to use well because if you don't get the attack off on something useful, you end up wasting a lot of points.

I usually use two units of Hunter as battleline.  They aren't great but the shooting and coming it at 7 inches is good for disruption.  They're only 20 points more than liberators and otherwise serve the same function.

58 minutes ago, Twh30 said:

Have you look at pairing it with soulstrike brotherhood with say 12 castigators stopped in on a monster 24 shots -2 rend ? 2+  to hit 

That's a lot of points, and again Soulstrike basically just cries if Total Commitment is on the docket (which has been true for pretty much every tournament I've been to since AoS2 came out).

1 minute ago, PJetski said:

Anvils vs Skaven shooting seems to be heavily favoured for the Stormcast player, at least in my experience. Longstrikes outrange WLC (29" vs 27"), you can translocate to the spot you need to snipe whatever you need because Skaven have lousy board control, and 2 dispel scrolls stop the important spells (like combo mirrors). The real threat is Plagueclaws with their 34" threat range, but you can deep strike and/or Translocate into a good shooting position and Im not sure 4x Plagueclaw lists are a viable choice to go 5-0 in a tournament setting.

You're forgetting a couple things. Jezzails are basically Longstrikes, especially since rerolling hits on a 4+ is only slightly worse than having a 2+, and they can teleport through Gnawholes for no roll, unlike Translocation. Their 30" range and damage 2 makes everything a target, so the game between Jezzails and Longstrikes is basically a quick-draw game of seeing who can get in range first to eliminate each other/Heroes.

Similarly, WLCs can move through Gnawholes (albeit one per turn), so unless you zone out 29" from the terrain pieces,  you're in trouble. Not impossible but really reduces where you can actually set up.

I'm currently eyeing up something like this:

Lord Arcanum - General, Staunch, Azyrite Halo
Lord Castellant - [Artifact not sure yet (maybe Gryph Feather or Lantern of the Tempest)]
Lord Ordinator
Knight Incantor - Celestial Blades

Sequitors x20
Liberators
Liberators

10 Evocators

Ballista
Ballista
Ballista
Ballista

Geminids

2000/2000

22 minutes ago, Requizen said:

That's a lot of points, and again Soulstrike basically just cries if Total Commitment is on the docket (which has been true for pretty much every tournament I've been to since AoS2 came out).

You're forgetting a couple things. Jezzails are basically Longstrikes, especially since rerolling hits on a 4+ is only slightly worse than having a 2+, and they can teleport through Gnawholes for no roll, unlike Translocation. Their 30" range and damage 2 makes everything a target, so the game between Jezzails and Longstrikes is basically a quick-draw game of seeing who can get in range first to eliminate each other/Heroes.

Similarly, WLCs can move through Gnawholes (albeit one per turn), so unless you zone out 29" from the terrain pieces,  you're in trouble. Not impossible but really reduces where you can actually set up.

From my experience Gnawholes are very pretty to cover and deny. I haven't had a problem deploying or moving a single disposable unit on top of each Gnawhole to zone out jezzails/WLC/Plagueclaw teleports (the gryph hound that comes with the Veritant is quite useful for this task) or just deploying key units out of potential threat range.

If you see them bringing an Eshin hero with the Gnawhole artifact and Skitterleap to combo teleport you just need to have your dispel scroll in range to deny. Even assuming they get that combo off because of a double turn and they teleport the WLC through the gnaw hole... it's not going to be using its double dice ability, since that requires an engineer nearby. The most damage it will do is 6 mortal wounds, which is only killing 3 Longstrikes. WLC are so swingy and unreliable that it's a questionable tactic at best.

If positioned correctly you should get the advantage over any Skaven shooting unit because they don't have the same kind of movement/deployment tactics as the Stormcast. When in doubt you can always save your command point, drop them into play, and set up for a double CA the following turn with both Evos + Longstrikes.

It's definitely too early for definitive statements but so far I don't think a mass-shooting Skaven list is viable - it will crumble far too quickly to aggressive double pile-in armies like Slaanesh and FEC.

How often do people get 'Empower' off onto a large unit of Sequitors (20)? 

Played first games with Stormcast at the weekend and couldnt manage my positioning to keep the unit 'wholly' within the Evocators, without significantly reducing the effectiveness of either or both units.  Not having a lot of units on the board i didnt feel i could just leave the Evocators babysitting the Sequitors to try and cast Empower (and hope it wasnt dispelled).

1 hour ago, Requizen said:

I'm currently eyeing up something like this:

Lord Arcanum - General, Staunch, Azyrite Halo
Lord Castellant - [Artifact not sure yet (maybe Gryph Feather or Lantern of the Tempest)]
Lord Ordinator
Knight Incantor - Celestial Blades

Sequitors x20
Liberators
Liberators

10 Evocators

Ballista
Ballista
Ballista
Ballista

Geminids

2000/2000

For total commute what advice can you give on playing it. I’m thinking of castigators list like I said before but willing to adjust mayb hailstorm battery battalion freeing up 240 points?

1 hour ago, PJetski said:

From my experience Gnawholes are very pretty to cover and deny. I haven't had a problem deploying or moving a single disposable unit on top of each Gnawhole to zone out jezzails/WLC/Plagueclaw teleports (the gryph hound that comes with the Veritant is quite useful for this task) or just deploying key units out of potential threat range.

If you see them bringing an Eshin hero with the Gnawhole artifact and Skitterleap to combo teleport you just need to have your dispel scroll in range to deny. Even assuming they get that combo off because of a double turn and they teleport the WLC through the gnaw hole... it's not going to be using its double dice ability, since that requires an engineer nearby. The most damage it will do is 6 mortal wounds, which is only killing 3 Longstrikes. WLC are so swingy and unreliable that it's a questionable tactic at best.

If positioned correctly you should get the advantage over any Skaven shooting unit because they don't have the same kind of movement/deployment tactics as the Stormcast. When in doubt you can always save your command point, drop them into play, and set up for a double CA the following turn with both Evos + Longstrikes.

It's definitely too early for definitive statements but so far I don't think a mass-shooting Skaven list is viable - it will crumble far too quickly to aggressive double pile-in armies like Slaanesh and FEC.

Yeah it's a bit early to call it either way. I'm just wary of counter-shooting when I have a relatively squishy 540 point unit as the core of my army, it was a big point of fear against KO as well last month (especially with how many "extra wounds" a unit of Arkanauts have).

I do still think that a Ballista list vs Anvils is favored towards the Ballistas, though, but that requires some testing and placement as well.

25 minutes ago, Twh30 said:

For total commute what advice can you give on playing it. I’m thinking of castigators list like I said before but willing to adjust mayb hailstorm battery battalion freeing up 240 points?

Hm well basically I just wouldn't play an army that's build around requiring the use of Reserves. Like, the Castigators are already pretty poor when you have to walk them forwards on foot (not terrible, but not great), and then compound that with the fact that you paid for a Battalion that basically does nothing... feels bad. In other missions, it'll clean up.

You could probably still run it and just play cheeky in Total Commitment, but depends heavily on the list in question.

I like Hailstorm quite a bit, it's not a Battalion you build around though. It's just more of a "oh, I've already got the models and points, might as well take it" type of Battalion.

1 minute ago, Requizen said:

Yeah it's a bit early to call it either way. I'm just wary of counter-shooting when I have a relatively squishy 540 point unit as the core of my army, it was a big point of fear against KO as well last month (especially with how many "extra wounds" a unit of Arkanauts have).

I do still think that a Ballista list vs Anvils is favored towards the Ballistas, though, but that requires some testing and placement as well.

Hm well basically I just wouldn't play an army that's build around requiring the use of Reserves. Like, the Castigators are already pretty poor when you have to walk them forwards on foot (not terrible, but not great), and then compound that with the fact that you paid for a Battalion that basically does nothing... feels bad. In other missions, it'll clean up.

You could probably still run it and just play cheeky in Total Commitment, but depends heavily on the list in question.

I like Hailstorm quite a bit, it's not a Battalion you build around though. It's just more of a "oh, I've already got the models and points, might as well take it" type of Battalion.

This was the list thinking of using any opinions? 

BA892134-77D2-46D4-A0A7-471B6CA2F004.jpeg

223731DB-5635-4424-9E6C-178A7628BC70.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Twh30 said:

This was the list thinking of using any opinions? 

Well it's pretty light on bodies, but I think you have enough shooting to chew through whatever walks across the table at you.

The Castellant doesn't do much in the list. He really wants one big unit to buff up with the Lantern, and your one big unit is going to be dropping across the table, far away from him and his buff. And even if he drops with them, he can't buff them until next turn. I might swap him out for a Veritant or Venator. 

I actually don't think it would auto-lose at Total Commitment, given that you bubble the objectives properly and play defensively enough to just shoot anything that comes over, but it's not a great scenario still.  The list also will struggle in 3 Places of Power/Duality, but hopefully shooting Heroes will take care of that. Do keep in mind that you have an extra Artifact you're not using.

1 minute ago, Requizen said:

Well it's pretty light on bodies, but I think you have enough shooting to chew through whatever walks across the table at you.

The Castellant doesn't do much in the list. He really wants one big unit to buff up with the Lantern, and your one big unit is going to be dropping across the table, far away from him and his buff. And even if he drops with them, he can't buff them until next turn. I might swap him out for a Veritant or Venator. 

I actually don't think it would auto-lose at Total Commitment, given that you bubble the objectives properly and play defensively enough to just shoot anything that comes over, but it's not a great scenario still.  The list also will struggle in 3 Places of Power/Duality, but hopefully shooting Heroes will take care of that. Do keep in mind that you have an extra Artifact you're not using.

Yea true about the artifact hadn’t thought which to use . Mayb could use lord relictor and have the translocation spell for total commitment mayb to shoot a unit over the board 

18 hours ago, Kevin K said:

I've been running a very similar list for awhile.  I really like the Pallador and Lord-Aquilor models and am trying to make a list where I can use the.  The list is supr fun to play but my win/loss record is not great.  Lots of close games against good players though.  I use the same blocks of 10 Evocators and 6 Palladors with a Lord-Aquilor mostly there to move the Palladors around.  I go back and forth between Celestial Vindicators and Astral Templars.  With the Templars I've used 3-4 Ballista with an ordinator, I typically have 2 Ballista.  I've never used the Comet, but I'd like to try it.  Some thoughts on how the parts work:

Six Palladors hit really hard as Cellestial Vindicators when buffed (reroll ones to hit on charge and extra attack from command ability).  Without the command ability and reroll, they are usually disappointing.  Still good for getting a medium hitting unit in the backfield or at least forcing them to prepare for it.  I've been thinking of changing to two units of 3 when running as Astral Templars and just using them for disruption.

Dropping in Evocators doesn't really work if you don't have some way to buff the charge.  Even with Cogs (which I use sometimes) it still isn't really a great chance.  I've been using them with a Heraldor.  They work much better given a run and charge.  They do great work but tend to draw all the fire and die pretty quick.  It makes them tricky to use well because if you don't get the attack off on something useful, you end up wasting a lot of points.

I usually use two units of Hunter as battleline.  They aren't great but the shooting and coming it at 7 inches is good for disruption.  They're only 20 points more than liberators and otherwise serve the same function.

I used to use 3 hunters as battleline, but I'm swapping them for liberators because hunters like the holding power and even lethality. Even the mobility they have and the shots they put out really didn't make much difference to my games. I might keep 1 unit, possibly to hurricane them across the board to capture a far off objective. I'm really hoping the liberators and their special weapons will do some work.

Someone pointed out that if I can actually charge something with my evocators and heraldor, either i'm really lucky or my opponent made a mistake, because you can always calculate the evocators' threat range. I'll try this out first. But if not, i'll swap the comet for a heraldor.

As for using 2 units of 3 Palladors, I can tell you they're really disappointing. When there's only 3, you can really feel the lack of punch they put out, and they also feel more fragile. 

Perhaps i just don't know how to play disruption 😅