AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

1 hour ago, Requizen said:

Still musing on that. Lib blobs are still quite tanky, and you don't need to run the LCoD up the board on turn 1 necessarily, so you can have a tanky Staunch blob that moves up slowly until you're ready to charge into a chaff blob with the Dracoth and then use the Libs to hold other things in place. Also, there's nothing stopping you from taking a Sequitor brick not as Battleline, which is what Stormcrutch (the #2 at LVO) did and used Judicators as his Battleline for some shooting support. I would imagine something similar for a Dracoth version.

I put together a quick list for that:

LCoD - General, Staunch, Smoulderint Helm

Knight-Incantor - Azyrite Halo

Knight Incantor - Speed of Lightning, Staff of Focus

Lord-Castellant

2x5 Judicators

1x5 Liberators

2x5 Sequitors

2x5 Evocators

Cleansing Phalanx

Everblaze Comet

Geminids

1920/2k

Not sure how good this is, but the ease of dealing 7MW that PJetski mentioned is a good point.

3 hours ago, Requizen said:

What do people think of running a Dracoth with the same suite as the exploding Stardrake? A Staunch/Lantern/Molten Helm/Azyrite Halo Dracoth is, of course, 9 less wounds and doesn't have some of the abilities (table wide MWs, bite attack), but it frees up 340 points compared to the Stardrake. 7 wounds on a 2+RR will still take around 250 wounds to kill on average, though it is much more susceptible to MWs popping it out. 

Still, as a mini-bomb and not a full centerpiece of the list, you could buff it up and chuck it into Skeletons, Grots, Gors, etc and just watch them blow themselves up. And then you'd also have points left over to bring more to the table than just the minimal support pieces, which I think might make a more TAC list than the traditional Stardrake build.

I run a LCoD with shield regularly, and I'm often looking for some terrain on the board that I can sit him in so that I can do just this. It works really well, and I was able to beat off something like 600 points worth of models a while back. To the point that my opponent got angry at me and said the cover rule was BS, and that he didn't want to play me anymore if we were going to use that rule.

Short answer - it works really well.

• Haha 1

Hey guys,

Just wanted to get your thoughts:

Here's my list:
Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Tempest Lords
Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Lord-Aquilor (200)
- General
- Trait: Bonds of Noble Duty 
- Artefact: Patrician's Helm 
- Mount Trait: Aethereal Stalker
Lord-Ordinator (140)
Knight-Heraldor (100)

Battleline
5 x Vanguard-Hunters (120)
- Boltstorm Pistols and Storm Sabres
- Boltstorm Pistols and Shock Handaxes

Units
6 x Vanguard-Palladors (400)
10 x Evocators (400)
- 5x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Speed of Lightning

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)

Total: 1900 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 128

What i'm thinking of doing is splitting the Palladors to 2 groups of 3. Since I can use the Aquilor's ability multiple times, this should give me more flexibility.

On one hand, the single big squad can take more hits, and only requires one CP. However, if i split them into 2 squads, I'll need to use more CPs to move them around, but i also gain more flexibility to capture objectives with one unit, while also going into combat with another unit.

What do you guys? 

Sooo, with two and a bit weeks until GT heat 1, I decided to try radically changing my list...

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Lord-Celestant (100)
- Artefact: Sword of Judgement 
Lord-Castellant (100)
- General
- Trait: Staunch Defender 
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Celestial Staves (Artefact): Mindlock Staff
Lord-Relictor (100)

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warblade & Shield
- 1x Grandblades
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Boltstorm Crossbows
- 1x Thunderbolt Crossbows

Units
5 x Decimators (200)
5 x Protectors (200)
10 x Evocators (400)

Battalions
Skyborne Slayers (190)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 121

Played against a Nagash/Ethereal VLOZD/30 Reaper/Necromancer/3 x5 Dire Wolf list in a practice game last night. Mission was Focal Points in Ghyran.

One shotted the Vampire Lord with the Lord Celestant on turn 1 (burned 3CP, so doing mortals on 3+). Translocated the Relictor in front of the Reapers and lightning stormed them, then charged them with Decimators to lock them down. Spent the next 4 turns grinding through regenerating Reapers with Evocators (Who also managed to electrocute Nagash).

Mindlock Staff was really good for stopping Nagash healing himself.

Kept the Evocators lanterned and in the staunch bubble and mystic shielded when possible. They all died eventually though.

Pro's - Only 5 drops, so goes first a lot of the time.
               First turn can be devastating.
               Actually get to use Shock and Awe.

Con's - Bit of a one trick wonder.
                Harder to use if the opponent screens well (although this can have it's own benefits as you're forcing them to alter their deployment).
               Limited mobility after the initial strike.
               No tank units.

Not sure whether to take this or my Stardrake list tbh. I think that list may be a bit more forgiving, but opponents may underestimate a SCE list with *suboptimal* units in it!

Thoughts?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Requizen said:

What do people think of running a Dracoth with the same suite as the exploding Stardrake? A Staunch/Lantern/Molten Helm/Azyrite Halo Dracoth is, of course, 9 less wounds and doesn't have some of the abilities (table wide MWs, bite attack), but it frees up 340 points compared to the Stardrake. 7 wounds on a 2+RR will still take around 250 wounds to kill on average, though it is much more susceptible to MWs popping it out. 

Still, as a mini-bomb and not a full centerpiece of the list, you could buff it up and chuck it into Skeletons, Grots, Gors, etc and just watch them blow themselves up. And then you'd also have points left over to bring more to the table than just the minimal support pieces, which I think might make a more TAC list than the traditional Stardrake build.

Not tried it yet but there was a guy a few pages back asking about how he could make a Fulminators list and I suggested that a LC equipped with the above might be the best way to utilise a Dracoth at present. I intend to try it some point certainly!

1 minute ago, rosa said:

I dont get it...

How did you do that?

Sword of Judgement does D6 mortals on heroes or monsters on hit rolls of 6+.
Celestant's command ability is +1 to hit aura.
Used it 3 times so +3 to hit... 3+ to inflict mortals.
5 attacks, 4* 3+'s, 17 mortal wounds!

Its a 6+ roll, not an unmodified 6...

If you didn't add modifiers until after effects were triggered (such as hitting...) what would be the point of modifiers?

Modifiers come after rerolls, but that's it. There's no "Last in sequence" rule - otherwise they wouldn't modify anything!

Edited by AdamR
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, rosa said:

Are you Sure?

Modifications come last in sequence.

You roll 3+ and the effect is not triggered.

After that you add the +3 from CA.

I dont want to be strange on this one, but is this really legit?

My dice shows a 4 (after rerolls, if there are any). There's 3 activations of the CA, giving +3. 4+3 = 7, which means your hit roll is a 7. The effect triggers on a 6+, and 7 > 6.

Yeah, it's potentially bonkers, but at the same time it's quite hard to pull off and not always useful.

• Thanks 1

I’m surprised it wasn’t FAQ’d as they’re moving away from modifiers for special abilities.

Not that I’m complaining as I’ve done this with Ordinator with Hammers (Of Judgement)  a few times. Scioned  him and ballista behind a unit where the enemy is screening a buffing hero like a necromancer or Tormentor,  Celestant and co charge the unit and Ordinator charges the “safe” screened hero. Used Celestant ability on the hero, +5’s on 6 dice usually comes good. Never once considered that you could do the CA multiple times though, that’s clever!

Also works as a good monster hunter even without the Celestant ability. Drop ballista in with its high rend shots then go in after the monster with LO and you’ll usually hurt it pretty bad even on 6’s.

Edited by Nos

Hello, Im new to the game and would like some help with building my stormcast army :)! (aiming at 2k points~)

Atm I have;

10x Liberators (2 is prime)
5x Evocators (1 is prime)
1x Knight-incantor
3x Prosecutors
3x Retributors
1x Lord-Celestant on Dracoth (Vandus Hammerhand)
1x Lord-Relictor

Can i build something on this or should I scrap some of the guys to make room for others?

17 hours ago, Icefighter said:

Hello, Im new to the game and would like some help with building my stormcast army :)! (aiming at 2k points~)

Atm I have;

10x Liberators (2 is prime)
5x Evocators (1 is prime)
1x Knight-incantor
3x Prosecutors
3x Retributors
1x Lord-Celestant on Dracoth (Vandus Hammerhand)
1x Lord-Relictor

Can i build something on this or should I scrap some of the guys to make room for others?

Id glue a shield on the LCoD and everything there is handy in most (old school) lists. Maybe not 3 rets :)

I actually use the first 3 in my v strange list here - https://thehonestwargamer.com/aos-list-rundowns/dr-star-drakelove-or-how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-the-celestant-prime/

Edited by Turragor

Hey Guys first post so go easy, I'm going to a tournament soon and want to bring something that I feel will be competitive. I've been playing my take on a garvbomb of Evocators and Ballistas since the new SCE came out. The issue with what I normally play is that the Ballistas are either super hot or super cold. So my thinking behind my new list is to have  a more consistent double bomb list.

image.png.3e2d1b4043695a476ae617941851c8f8.png

The idea behind the list is to use Liberators and some of the heros to sit on my own objectives. If I get first turn with three command points at my disposal, drop 20 seq, 2x5 evo and garv. Using the 6d6+1 move my LAoGC up to support, I would spend 2 cp on garv's command ability and 1 on LAoGC then charge everything into what ever targets present themselves. 

I also have Lord Celestant with the sword of judgement as my additional bomb to drop at some stage of the battle it also gives my the option of mixing up how I play the first turn. I've also taken the mind lock staff and Incator to try and help with those Nagash lists.

I'd be really interested in peoples opinions in whether this style of list is stronger than the ballista/evocator drop. Although that seems like a 50/50 debate at the moment.

Thanks,

Leeroy

7 minutes ago, leeroyT said:

Hey Guys first post so go easy, I'm going to a tournament soon and want to bring something that I feel will be competitive. I've been playing my take on a garvbomb of Evocators and Ballistas since the new SCE came out. The issue with what I normally play is that the Ballistas are either super hot or super cold. So my thinking behind my new list is to have  a more consistent double bomb list.

image.png.52422617ab8d4a7a29925c44f77b2a5c.png

The idea behind the list is to use Liberators and some of the heros to sit on my own objectives. If I get first turn with three command points at my disposal, drop 20 seq, 2x5 evo and garv. Using the 6d6+1 move my LAoGC up to support, I would spend 2 cp on garv's command ability and 1 on LAoGC then charge everything into what ever targets present themselves. 

I also have Lord Celestant with the sword of judgement as my additional bomb to drop at some stage of the battle it also gives my the option of mixing up how I play the first turn.

I'd be really interested in peoples opinions in whether this style of list is stronger than the ballista/evocator drop. Although that seems like a 50/50 debate at the moment. Any tips would be much appreciated! 

Thanks,

Leeroy

You cannot take the staunch defender if you play hammer for your general.