AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Mine have 3 and 3. Rule of cool again. I have no idea if it’s “best”, I didn’t arm them with this list in mind. But it works so far.

I blew up the screening units against me with magic and trumpet in both games , they were only small though so didn’t have to do much to remove the 3” zone of control. Against a bigger screen you would have to think about using the Dracolines as a flanking unit rather than a line breaker. But they have massive range so that’s not an issue.

And it’s not like  they have to charge turn 1 either. They have a level of combined mobility and killing power that most armies simply don’t have. You could easily just hang everyone back in your deployment zone, counter charge the biggest threat when the enemy comes for you with the Dracolines, and still have excellent capacity to run over one of their objectives afterwards and hold it or run for the next one.

The reason I didn’t set up one big blob of Sequitors was to split the enemy basically. That was a risk because I was banking on a 240 point unit with buffs holding out against a lot more than that, but Sequitors are ludicrously tough to shift and it worked. One eventually died in one game but I was ahead by then.

If you have 20 Sequitors holding an objective then sure, you’re holding that one without question, but the other one has probably gone. And again with Dracolines I can easily and decisively respond to either flank if it needs it. Most armies dont have the capacity to bring that much damage that much quickly on something that isn’t a monster or hero, things which have degrading profiles. 

Basically it works because it’s the sum of its parts and more. The defensive set up is very defensive. The offensive set up is very offensive. It’s flexible.It has no gimmick that disables it other than the enemy just straight up killing your stuff. Not really Turn or drop dependent.  3 spells base. 3 dispels and one auto dispel base. Strong MW and rend output.

I forgot it’s 40 points short of 2000 as well so throw in some triumphs or Endless Shenanigans if you want. I’ve taken Dais on both occasions just to add another Dispel and to facilitate the Incantor to kamikaze in to important fights with Spirit Flasks. 

Edited by Nos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Marzillius said:

3 with Grandstave and 3 with Tempest Blades maybe? Which weapon does the Prime have?

Mine will have the grandstave in hand but I will glue the sword on their backs somehow -> I can do either or :) . But due to the rend from the dracolines I think gradnstaves are totally ok to roll with.

23 hours ago, Nos said:

Can only use it once per phase. So you only ever get one attempt, and you also can never restore more than one unit max per turn. So if a unit of 5 Libs and 20 Sequitors died that turn, don’t make the mistake of thinking you get a go with each.

It's per phase (as you say at the beginning) not per turn (as you say at the end) so in fact you could get more than one back per turn if you lost them in different phases

4 minutes ago, Karragon said:

It's per phase (as you say at the beginning) not per turn (as you say at the end) so in fact you could get more than one back per turn if you lost them in different phases

Apologies. I meant in one phase. You’re quite right.

• Thanks 1

On 2/2/2019 at 2:54 PM, Furuzzolo said:

Hi guys, not an usual Stormcast player but i got my hands on some soul wars half and i started to write lists on Azyr.

I have sequitors and lord arcanum, 2 ballistae and 10 evocators but i'd love to field fulminators and some classic paladin. Any suggestion, good command ability/artifact interaction to suggest? (Again, arcanun+sequitors battleline but i'd love a cavalry/paladins very elite army. 2000 points. I'm not found in the ballistae spam but kinda ok with one in the list to range-support)

I thought about Fulminators initially when thinking of a cavalry army but they’re in a weird place.

They’re well suited to staying in melee with their defensive abilities but they’re poorly suited in respect to their weapons which are literally three times better on the charge, but their movement of ten is often just enough to keep them from charging fast enough to be reliable line-breakers. They’re prone to MW’s obviously as well due to coming in a two model 5 wound each unit. 

My thoughts were to treat them as a hedgehog Stardrake proxy spearheaded by a Celestant on Dracoth and use them as an anti-horde unit. Give Celestant Staunch Defender,  Thundershield and Lightening Hammer, with Pack Leader. 5 potential D6 Damage is nice for free 👍🏻 

Unit of 4 Fulminators with Azyrite Halo defends on 3+ on the turn they charge 2+ against ranged, and deals MW’s on a 6. Celestant re-rolls 1’s and causes MW’s on 3+’s. If he rolls a 6 attacking the unit can’t pile in either. Next turn you lose the damage from your lances but your save is now 2+. If you can keep a horde tied in place like that and have it spine itself while you target it elsewhere with damage to break through its weak points /play around it  that’s a strong position to be in.

I’ve not tried it myself but It’s the conclusion I came to as to how they can best serve their purpose and utilise their skill, in theory.

That’s 720 points. If you have Sequitors and you’re wanting to field both them and Paladins then the minimum extra spend is 300 for Liberators, giving you 980 points for other stuff. You could make your general Lord Arcanum and just have three units of Sequitors and forego the Liberators, but then you lose Staunch Defender on your Celestant. It’s also 240 points more.

• Thanks 1

On 2/2/2019 at 1:09 AM, Roark said:

Also, how do you figure the Pendulum is "harmless"? If you can tag 4 units with it (eg: passing over 2 and landing near 2), that's 4d6 mortals straight up without rolls. 

It is harmless to casters army 

On 2/2/2019 at 1:09 AM, Roark said:

Eh? Purple Sun is 8 to cast, procs on 6+ per model, and is 100pts. I think that's almost the worst possible spell for Stormcast wizards...

That is a problem with Endless Spells, usefull ones don't benefit from arcanum's CA

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, HammerOfSigmar said:

Even with cleansing phalanx, is it worth the cast empower on the sequitors rather than on evocators itself? Anyone have some idea?

Yep, i ran sone maths on that. Evocators' damage comes  from the mortal wounds more than anything and Sequitors Greatmaces profit more. Also Sequitors in Phalanx get to reroll hits, too, exponentially making rr wounds better and which allows them to reroll all saves every fightphase (remember, Empower can't even be denied when cast with a CP). Per point, Empower is better on Sequitors, when in a Cleansing Phalanx.

On 2/2/2019 at 3:30 PM, schwabbele said:

@Marzillius here is a real good calculation on the ballista ordinator stormcast shooting in general: 

@Nos Great to hear that the KittyCators are doing well :) - started today with Astreia test painting to settle on a scheme - quite motivating :D

why are the ballista calculation made with 14 shots ?

I'm trying to push my list idea as far as it will go and I'm not sure if this is "too far" or not.

Principle idea  (see some earlier lists) - LCoSD and Prime to sow confusion in my opponents head.

Side effect - large anchor against hordes and almost all damage. Quite a bit of mortal wounds. 

Evolution (or devolution) of idea:

Mortal Realm: Aqshy
Lord-Celestant on Stardrake (560)
- General
- Celestine Hammer
- Trait: Staunch Defender
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales
- Mount Trait: Thunderlord
Lord-Relictor (100)
Lord-Castellant (100)
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Stormcaller
Celestant-Prime (340)
10 x Liberators (200)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 2x Grandhammers
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
Everblaze Comet (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 85

Notes: Relictor is included as a cushion against total commitment (which doesnt totally ruin my list but can make it tough to be where I want). Heraldor is out as I've nothing I particularly care to run and charge with (hmm maybe the drake tbh).

Tweaking the list drags me back towards what I took last time where  my options include dropping the prime or dropping dracothian guard to bulk out numbers with more numbers or tools.

This moves away from what I'm trying to do which is build a list which is "new" to opponents and can cripple them with a bunch of early mortal wounds that the can't really screen against that leaves most opponents demoralised without buff characters and facing  the LCoSD.

Edited by Turragor

10 minutes ago, schwabbele said:

Now that you mention it , should be 7 hits actually I think :D 

2 hits from 4+  * D6 real hits -> 7 average.

@PJetski help, could you please clarify this  :) ?

the ballista in 18"(with ordinator) has the following profile: 4 shots 4+to hit(each hit generates d6 successful  hits)  3+to wound

so it equals 4d6shots 4+to hits 3+to wound   4d6 in average is 4*3.5=14, considering the hits roll(50% chance), there should be 7 successful hits on average

On 2/2/2019 at 9:11 AM, Nos said:

Just two so far, Sylvaneth and Nighthaunt. I wouldn’t want to charge it into a LON skeleton blob but there’s not many things you can charge into one of those with any army right now. Probably why they keep coming top. Suspect Gloomspite might have the same going for them once the meta settles as well. 

What I think the Dracoline are great as are anti-elites. Usually you dont want to line up your best unit against their best unit, it’s a waste of their potential. You want to target heroes or objective holders while trapping their best units with chaff. Thing is though that for the reasons I stated above Dracolines cause so much damage on the charge, and with a Heraldor and re-rolled charge they have so much range, that they’re ideally placed to kill well armoured but small units, screened heroes, or glass cannon types. In my two games they annihalated Kurnoth Hunters, Durthu, Ghrimghast and Spirit Host before they could hit back then cleaned up the backline. 

Rest of both armies had nothing that could shift a Lanterned or Azyrite Halo’ed unit  of Sequitors flanked by the Liberator screen with SD in sufficient time to claim enough points. 

The best thing about is that you get more than one charge with your death unit. You can quite feasibly destroy two expensive units on either side of the board from each other in as many turns if you’re lucky. No one-drop- Gav-Bomb we’re-here-guys- oh-the-rest-of -the-battles-over-there-now-oh-well. And unlike Gav Bomb it’s hard to screen against.

Again I’m not claiming it’s foolproof but at this stage I think with practice I’d fancy my chances with it competitively against most match ups at present.

No idea on the Ordinator sorry! I like to play as many different models as possible so would always veer towards LO and one Ballista due to rule of cool.

Can't wait to try this list out, I have been toying with the idea of Dracolines army but I still think they are overcosted and I wouldnt want to put them into some Kurnoth Hunters or anything. 

Hey guys,

I’m looking for some opinions on a Stormcast army I'm building. This is my first army, basing it from the Soul Wars set and the Thunderstrike Brotherhood box:

Leaders:

Lord-Arcanum on Gryph Charger (240pts)

Lord-Celestant on Dracoth (220pts)

Lord-Ordinator (140)

Lord-Relictor (100pts)

Knight-Incantor (140pts)

Battlelines:

Sequitors x 5 (120pts)

Sequitors x 5 (120pts)

Liberators x 10 (200pts)

Artillery:

Celestar Ballista (100pts)

Other Units:

Castigators x 3 (80pts)

Castigators x 3 (80pts)

Evocators x 5 (200pts)

Retributors x 5 (220pts)

Prosecutors x 3 (100pts)

TOTAL: 2060pts

So I'm 60 pts over and can't decide if I should drop one unit of Castigators, the Prosecutors or the Lord-Relictors.

Also as I said this is my first army so I’d also appreciate any tips on choosing a stormhost, and assigning relics etc. as well as any tips on using units such as the prosecutors?

Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, Black Blade said:

Can't wait to try this list out, I have been toying with the idea of Dracolines army but I still think they are overcosted and I wouldnt want to put them into some Kurnoth Hunters or anything. 

They’re overcosted at 300 for 3 I think but 600 for 6 feels good value somehow, the extra 6MW dice is big. It’s the LA synergy though that makes them so powerful, 2+ hits on the charge, 4 D3 Damage attacks per mount and Scroll of condemnation letting them wound on a 2+ For their first charge, plus if Empowered they get to re-roll those too. Then 12 shots at MW’s.  They’re vulnerable if trapped in combat but with that much damage that’s unlikely to happen.  Basically if you pick one thing that absolutely needs to die as long as it dosent have 35+ wounds or ridiculous saving potential it’s pretty much a done deal.

10 hours ago, Turragor said:

I'm trying to push my list idea as far as it will go and I'm not sure if this is "too far" or not.

Principle idea  (see some earlier lists) - LCoSD and Prime to sow confusion in my opponents head.

Side effect - large anchor against hordes and almost all damage. Quite a bit of mortal wounds. 

Evolution (or devolution) of idea:

Mortal Realm: Aqshy
Lord-Celestant on Stardrake (560)
- General
- Celestine Hammer
- Trait: Staunch Defender
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales
- Mount Trait: Thunderlord
Lord-Relictor (100)
Lord-Castellant (100)
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Stormcaller
Celestant-Prime (340)
10 x Liberators (200)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 2x Grandhammers
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
Everblaze Comet (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 85

Notes: Relictor is included as a cushion against total commitment (which doesnt totally ruin my list but can make it tough to be where I want). Heraldor is out as I've nothing I particularly care to run and charge with (hmm maybe the drake tbh).

Tweaking the list drags me back towards what I took last time where  my options include dropping the prime or dropping dracothian guard to bulk out numbers with more numbers or tools.

This moves away from what I'm trying to do which is build a list which is "new" to opponents and can cripple them with a bunch of early mortal wounds that the can't really screen against that leaves most opponents demoralised without buff characters and facing  the LCoSD.

If you want MW against Hordes give Stardrake Smouldering Helm which inflicts MW on a +6, so buffed with Castellant and Staunch Defender that’s a +4. Give him shield and any re-rolled ones which are subsequently saved also do a MW. After a certain point it means a horde basically kills itself when it attacks you.

Running the list as is you have very little MW output or damage in general to be honest. 2 Comets (not guranteed) and a Stardrake and Prime missile attack are attritional damage instances but at 2000 points in the current meta they’re unlikely to do anything decisive. Remove the Stardrake from the equation and it’s quite a flimsy army for Stormcast to be honest, your battleline aren’t going to last against any considered attack and even if it dies it will be quickly outnumbered from an objectives perspective, and the Prime for all his damage output is easily killed as well.

Rule of cool as always, if you like it or fancy playing it then that’s always the most important thing! But if you’re after advice on making an army that can be competitive then I think the only strength this has is the mind games aspect. Tie up the Stardrake with some chaff and the rest is easily dispatched. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, schwabbele said:

@HammerOfSigmar hmm yes but the d6 hits are triggered after the normal hit which would be 2 hits on a4+ with 4 shots - or am I understanding the math here completely wrong?

It is equal. The normal order: 4a 4+to hit(d6 hits) 3+to wound

so there will be 2 hits in average, then turns out to be 2d6 hits, which is 7 hits on average(d6=3.5 on average)

3 hours ago, Kelsicle said:

Hey guys,

I’m looking for some opinions on a Stormcast army I'm building. This is my first army, basing it from the Soul Wars set and the Thunderstrike Brotherhood box:

Leaders:

Lord-Arcanum on Gryph Charger (240pts)

Lord-Celestant on Dracoth (220pts)

Lord-Ordinator (140)

Lord-Relictor (100pts)

Knight-Incantor (140pts)

Battlelines:

Sequitors x 5 (120pts)

Sequitors x 5 (120pts)

Liberators x 10 (200pts)

Artillery:

Celestar Ballista (100pts)

Other Units:

Castigators x 3 (80pts)

Castigators x 3 (80pts)

Evocators x 5 (200pts)

Retributors x 5 (220pts)

Prosecutors x 3 (100pts)

TOTAL: 2060pts

So I'm 60 pts over and can't decide if I should drop one unit of Castigators, the Prosecutors or the Lord-Relictors.

Also as I said this is my first army so I’d also appreciate any tips on choosing a stormhost, and assigning relics etc. as well as any tips on using units such as the prosecutors?

Thanks in advance.

Lord ordinator is not worth bringing when you have less than 3 ballista in the list. In your list. There can be more modification, but I guess that's all the model you have, so I think dropping the ordinator is OK, giving you 1 extra CP at the beginning of the battle.  For stormhost, well, it seems to me that both Hammer and anvils doesn't work very well in your list so maybe try tempest lord.