AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

1 hour ago, CareBear said:

I'm pretty new to this hobby (my first year), and I wondered what you think of this 2000 points competetive list?  (I apologize if the english isn't on point, I'm norwegian and thus english is not my main language)

Stormhost: Hammers of Sigmar

Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (General, 240 pts)    Having a hard time picking a mount trait. Any advice?

Lord Ordinator  (140)

Knight Azyros (100)

Lord Castellant (100)

20  sequitors (400, 9 greatmaces)

2x5 Liberators (200, 2  grandhammers)

2x5 Evocators (400, would appreciate any tips on loadout)

3 Aetherwings (50) 

3 Celestar Ballistas (300)

Endless spells:

Soulsnare shackles (20)

Celestian vortex (40) 

140 wounds    1990/2000 points

I would really appreciate any help. 

I would love to hear your thoughts. Should I stick with Hammers of Sigmar? Or is there other stormhosts worth checking out? Is there anything i should change? What's your thoughts on loadouts ? Any allies that's worth taking? Is it worth spending points on endless spells, and in that case which?

I made the list with a friend. The idea is to have the sequitors and the ballistas with the ordinator function as two big threats. The ballistas could also function as an objective holder. Lord Arcanum is there to make the sequitors battleline, Castellant to buff their save and the Azyros to help with shooting. Evocators for magic support and in case the presence of wizards is requiered for a scenario. The soulsnare shackles are to hinder big threats from performing and the celestian vortex hinders shooting while doing damage.

What do you think?

PS: Can evocators cast endless spells?

For the mount trait, bring the first one for gryph-charger(the one make the LAoGC roll 7 dice rather 6 dice when using its ablility). 

For your list, I think it is fine. Pretty strong but not too devastating. Since you are not bringing any named hero, you don't have to take the hammer of sigmar.  You can try something else such as Tempest lord because LAoGC have good CA buffing sequitors and evocators and Tempest lord have a lot of CP too use. If you combine two units of 5 evocators into a unit of 10, you might try the anvils.

Then for your list. What's your point of bring the aetherwings without bringing raptors? If it is because you like the models, that's fine. If not, you might consider changing it into something else, such as 1 blob of 10 skinks(seraphon ally). 

For the endless spell, I don't recommend bringing the clestian vortex. It is pretty useless in my point of view when you are not facing against chaos army.

evocators can only cast empower and three other spell on the bottom of the Stormcast battletome spell page. Actually, evocators do more damage than sequitors in model number....so they are more than just magic support units.

Edited by HammerOfSigmar

24 minutes ago, HammerOfSigmar said:

Then for your list. What's your point of bring the aetherwings without bringing raptors? If it is because you like the models, that's fine. If not, you might consider changing it into something else, such as 1 blob of 10 skinks(seraphon ally). 

For the endless spell, I don't recommend bringing the clestian vortex. It is pretty useless in my point of view when you are not facing against chaos army.

evocators can only cast empower and three other spell on the bottom of the Stormcast battletome spell page. Actually, evocators do more damage than sequitors in model number....so they are more than just magic support units.

I currently don't own any skinks, so the best cheap screening unit I had was the aetherwings. Maybe i can buysome of my friends skinks, if you think it's worth it?

What about the soulsnare shackles?

Would you say an unit of 10 evocators is better than 2of 5? What do you think about loadout? My friend says rend is better than extra damage.

PS: Really appreciate the reply.

Edited by CareBear

hey everyone,

I'm running an oldschool battlion, (warrior brotherhood) and have a knight azyros in the list, I'm trying to figure out what the best artifact to give him is?

Playing with idea of glyph feather charm, ethereal amulet, mirror shield.. he will be used up in front lines for those rerolls of 1.

27 minutes ago, HammerOfSigmar said:

For your list, I think it is fine. Pretty strong but not too devastating.

When you say that the list is "Pretty strong but not too devastating", do you think that it can hold its own in a competetive arena and different tournaments?

1 minute ago, CareBear said:

I currently don't own any skinks, so the best cheap screening unit I had was the aetherwings. Maybe i can buysome of my friends skinks, if you think it's worth it?

What about the soulsnare shackles?

Would you say an unit of 10 evocators is better than 2of 5? What do you think about loadout? My friend says rend is better than extra damage.

If you don't have any skinks and don't actually like their model, that's fine, just use the aetherwings. I mention it because the aetherwings are great screen unit if working with raptors since they ability allow them to move 2d6" before enemy charges. They are still usable without the raptors. 

I have not used the soul snare personally, but it seems to me that it can just trap your enemy for one turn, they can just run out of 6" bubble.

For evocators, you can change all weapon to blades and stave or grandstave. Weapons are not related to the unit size. The point I made about a unit of 10 in anvils stormhost is that anvils can let one of your unit attack once in your hero face, so a big unit can make more damage. Go back to the weapons, rend do matter, but attack range also matters, it depends on situation. You can try both and choose your favorite.

6 minutes ago, nine7six said:

Playing with idea of glyph feather charm, ethereal amulet, mirror shield.. he will be used up in front lines for those rerolls of 1.

Ethereal amulet seems like a solid choice. Considering that the Azyros already has a 3+ save, this will probably be a huge help in keeping him alive on the frontlines. Keep in mind that mortal wounds still isa big weakness.

11 minutes ago, CareBear said:

Any advice concerning that? Any improvements/changes that come to mind?

drop the endless spells and aetherwing(your list don't really need screen unit  to protect anything),  add a graviel and change one unit of liberators into sequitor combine two units of evocators. Or further change LAoGC to LA on foot, which saves you 60 points, so you have a extra command point at the beginning of the battle. Then DS 1 unit of 10 evocators along with graviel into the battlefield, a +6" to charging to the charge of big evocators units almost guarantees a successful charge(except double ones).a big unit of sequitors just stay with the castellent to hold objectives.   

Edited by HammerOfSigmar

10 minutes ago, HammerOfSigmar said:

drop the endless spells and aetherwing(your list don't really need screen unit  to protect anything),  add a graviel and change one unit of liberators into sequitor combine two units of evocators. Or further change LAoGC to LA on foot, which saves you 60 points, so you have a extra command point at the beginning of the battle. Then DS 1 unit of 10 evocators along with graviel into the battlefield, a +6" to charging to the charge of big evocators units almost guarantees a successful charge(except double ones).a big unit of sequitors just stay with the castellent to hold objectives. 

Is one extra command point more worth then having a LAoGC instead of LA on foot?

Tactics vise, you think the sequitors should be used defensive?  Should I use the ballistas and LO offensive with deep strike, or should I also consider them a defensive measure?

Finally, what would be suitable targets for the Gavriel DS? And for the optional ballista DS?

Edit: Every advice is highly appreciated. The community I associate with, as well as my friend, is highly competetive and losing every time (almost) kind of ruins the fun. Besides, I've never participated in a tournament before, and i want to start of strong. In addition, any tips when it comes to participating in a tournament would be nice, how to prepare, what to expect and so on.

Edited by CareBear

6 minutes ago, CareBear said:

Is one extra command point more worth then having a LAoGC instead of LA on foot?

Tactics vise, you think the sequitors should be used defensive?  Should I use the ballistas and LO offensive with deep strike, or should I also consider them a defensive measure?

Finally, what would be suitable targets for the Gavriel DS? And for the optional ballista DS?

I would say one extra command point at the beginning of first turn is pretty important for graviel  bomb.

In this list, the main job of sequitors is to hold objectives, so I would make them more defensive. Then the ballistas and LO, you can just drop them on one objectives or near one objectives, if they sits on a terrain, they are pretty durable.

For targets, definitely kill enemy's key unit, which depends on your enemy's list and usually those doing a lot of damage or able to buff other units. Such as evocators and castellent in your enemy's unit if your opponent play SCE.

1 minute ago, HammerOfSigmar said:

I would say one extra command point at the beginning of first turn is pretty important for graviel  bomb.

In this list, the main job of sequitors is to hold objectives, so I would make them more defensive. Then the ballistas and LO, you can just drop them on one objectives or near one objectives, if they sits on a terrain, they are pretty durable.

For targets, definitely kill enemy's key unit, which depends on your enemy's list and usually those doing a lot of damage or able to buff other units. Such as evocators and castellent in your enemy's unit if your opponent play SCE.

I really appreciate all the advice. Regrettebly I will have to be going now (it's really late here). It was nice talking to you, I think this website needs more people like you. Thanks for all the tips.

36 minutes ago, PJetski said:

In an Anvilstrike with 9 Longstrikes + 10 Evocators would you rather have an Everblaze Comet or a Knight-Heraldor?

Good question. I've found the Heraldor invaluable since the 5" on Evocators is nothing special. Getting the occasional 11" movement turns them from a static counter-charge unit to a board-wide threat depending on where they are, but if you're just using them for an immobile counter-charge threat, then maybe you don't need it.

It might depend on how many Wizards you have. I always say, I don't take an Endless Spell, especially one as expensive as Comet, without at least 2 Wizards to cast it. Though the Anvils list is quite defensive, there's always the chance that your one Incantor will get sniped, or want to cast a Realm Spell/Halo, and then the Comet languishes in disuse. But that's personal opinion, not necessarily a rule.

Damage wise, the Comet will generally do more, and gives us a the capability to one-shot Morathi with lucky rolling. But the Heraldor is no slouch himself, especially if there's a large piece of terrain that can cover a big section of the board (or, you know, Sylvaneth), so it's fairly even.

I'd test both and see what feels better. 

5 minutes ago, Requizen said:

Good question. I've found the Heraldor invaluable since the 5" on Evocators is nothing special. Getting the occasional 11" movement turns them from a static counter-charge unit to a board-wide threat depending on where they are, but if you're just using them for an immobile counter-charge threat, then maybe you don't need it.

It might depend on how many Wizards you have. I always say, I don't take an Endless Spell, especially one as expensive as Comet, without at least 2 Wizards to cast it. Though the Anvils list is quite defensive, there's always the chance that your one Incantor will get sniped, or want to cast a Realm Spell/Halo, and then the Comet languishes in disuse. But that's personal opinion, not necessarily a rule.

Damage wise, the Comet will generally do more, and gives us a the capability to one-shot Morathi with lucky rolling. But the Heraldor is no slouch himself, especially if there's a large piece of terrain that can cover a big section of the board (or, you know, Sylvaneth), so it's fairly even.

I'd test both and see what feels better. 

Here's the list currently:

1x9 Longstrike
3x5 Liberators
1x10 Evocators
2x3 Aetherwings
Incantor (Celestial Blades)
Incantor (Azyrite Halo)
Veritant (Translocation)
Azyros
Everblaze Comet
Geminids
1980/2000

I am considering cutting the Comet for a Heraldor (+Quicksilver Swords)

Heraldor Pros:
Another hero for objective control that doesn't need to sit back with the Longstrikes
Can still do D3 mortal wounds if my opponent is near scenery. Sylvaneth, Idoneth, Moonclan, Beasts of Chaos - lots of armies like to place scenery down these days.
Run & Charge can be the difference between an engagement or not, and can let me steal objectives with an unexpected long charge
Retreat & Charge lets me pull Evocators out of combat and avoid getting stuck in bad engagements, and sometimes unexpectedly steal objectives
Comet takes up a spell, and I can only cast 2 per turn
More wounds on the table

Heraldor Cons:
Another deployment (unlikely to make a difference)
Comet is very reliable damage output no matter the situation, and is easy to cast
Comet is great when facing other shooting lists that like to turtle
Comet is great against enemy wizards. -1 can be brutal when trying to cast spells that go off on 7+.

It's a hard choice!

6 hours ago, PJetski said:

In an Anvilstrike with 9 Longstrikes + 10 Evocators would you rather have an Everblaze Comet or a Knight-Heraldor?

I would rather have the Heraldor. Comet is a nice AoE threat, but the Heraldor can do that while also increasing the threat of your 10 Evos - while capping points.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Freejack02 said:

I would rather have the Heraldor. Comet is a nice AoE threat, but the Heraldor can do that while also increasing the threat of your 10 Evos - while capping points.

Comet also isn't reliable. Heraldor dosen't guarantee a massive charge but he guarantees you the ability to attempt one within which re-rolls are still a possibility. Comet is two dice, all or nothing.  

I appreciate that the Lord-Arcanum on foot's command is pretty pants, and that people generally use him as a budget general for a Stormhost, but has anyone tried running him tight behind the front lines with Aethervoid Pendulum + command?

The spell is short range, 6+ to cast, 8+1d6 move (assuming Lord-Arcanum on foot in vanilla SCE). To my mind, there's huge MW potential if you can tag multiple units with it...

I guess the main challenges are the totally linear movement and landing the template after moving.

Any successes with this, or other observations?

6 hours ago, Roark said:

I appreciate that the Lord-Arcanum on foot's command is pretty pants, and that people generally use him as a budget general for a Stormhost, but has anyone tried running him tight behind the front lines with Aethervoid Pendulum + command?

The spell is short range, 6+ to cast, 8+1d6 move (assuming Lord-Arcanum on foot in vanilla SCE). To my mind, there's huge MW potential if you can tag multiple units with it...

I guess the main challenges are the totally linear movement and landing the template after moving.

Any successes with this, or other observations?

IMO there are better spells that can use a little push, such as purple sun or gemenids, but the idea is there and it sounds cool
Also I think his CA is most usefull with spells that can turn around and bite you, not a harmless Pendulum

36 minutes ago, XReN said:

IMO there are better spells that can use a little push, such as purple sun or gemenids, but the idea is there and it sounds cool
Also I think his CA is most usefull with spells that can turn around and bite you, not a harmless Pendulum

How does the LA interact with geminids, though? The CA specifies one model, not being able to push both spheres up doesn't really seem all that strong. The major advantage of the pendulum is that it can't backfire like other predatory spells.

26 minutes ago, Future said:

Dumb question but I couldn’t find the answer. Can a unit of evocators empower themselves? It says target friendly which feels like it suggest a different unit.

i'd say yes

Edited by ledha

3 hours ago, Future said:

Dumb question but I couldn’t find the answer. Can a unit of evocators empower themselves? It says target friendly which feels like it suggest a different unit.

Evocators meet all the requirements, being a friendly unit with the Sacrosanct keyword, so yes they are eligible to be the target of empower.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lucur said:

How does the LA interact with geminids, though? The CA specifies one model, not being able to push both spheres up doesn't really seem all that strong. The major advantage of the pendulum is that it can't backfire like other predatory spells.

Even if playing it pure RAW and say you spend 1 cp to accelerate 1 sphere - you still gain advantage

There is really no reason other than being fancy to push Pendulum, it deals MW in 15" from caster, so you need to spend 3 CPs to reliably deal MWs with it on first turn, that is a knight Incantor that can cast Lightning Blast which backed up by Arcane Bolt with Arcanum's Prime Electrids will deal more damage on average if count against hitting 1 unit with pendulum. Even if we manage to hit 2 units, well, it will usually be screening units. Also it's kinda easier to avoid Pendulum than anything else

Oh...

Just realised  actual problem with gemenids - Arcanum's CA has only 12" range, whille gemenids can be set up in WW 18 of the caster.

Aaaand that's how I return to my opinion of Arcanum on foot - it's a cheapest sequior tax with defensive CA, so you can shoot opponent's endless spells back at him faster