AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

In my Anvilstrike list I cut both Relictor and Castellant for a Veritant. I found that +1 save is not impactful, so instead of paying 200 points for a Prayer + Gryph-hound I paid 120 for the Veritant and got an unbind (sometimes at +3).

Incantor is necessary, if only for the dispel scroll. Cancelling a 3d3 Plaguewind, Mirrors, Curse of Years, etc. is crucial to victory. Stacking the charge debuffs from Spirit Storm and Hurricanes is also great at stopping Gav bombs, eel deep strikes, and Brayherd ambushes, turning a 9" charge into an 11" charge.

Have you tried Anvilstrike with 20x Judicator instead of Longstrikes? It seems to be stronger overall because it shores up the weaknesses of the list (low volume fire, low wounds).

Hello! I'm still new to aos and I'm considering two lists (I can still make some changes) for 2k tournament. I'm not sure which should I choose.

I'm affraid about bad descision making on Anvils which are kind of "one trick pony". I have to send my list in 3 days so I don't have much time to try these. I have a bit less then 20 games played of AOS, so I feel really new to the game.

Please, please give me some advices 1f642.png:)

After I closed the warswcroll builder, I realizedthat I can have one more artifact on list 2. Nevermind, Ill ad it later..

Orzo - Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Anvils of the Heldenhammer
LEADERS

Lord-Arcanum (180)
- General
- Command Trait : Deathly Aura
- Artefact : Stormrage Blade
- Spell : Azyrite Halo

Lord-Relictor (100)
- Prayer : Translocation

Lord-Castellant (100)

Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell : Thundershock

UNITS

10 x Sequitors (240)
- Tempest Blades and Soulshields
- 5 x Stormsmite Greatmaces

5 x Sequitors (120)
- 3 x Stormsmite Greatmaces

5 x Sequitors (120)

10 x Evocators (400)
- 5 x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration : Speed of Lightning

9 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (540)

TOTAL: 1940/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1 WOUNDS: 110
LEADERS: 4/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 0/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4
ARTEFACTS: 1/1 ALLIES: 0/400

OR

LEADERS

Lord-Arcanum (180)
- General
- Command Trait : Staunch Defender
- Artefact : Talisman of Endurance

Lord-Castellant (100)

Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell : Lighntning Blast

Knight-Incantor (140)

UNITS

20 x Sequitors (400)

5 x Sequitors (120)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields

5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
- 1 x Grandhammers

5 x Evocators (200)
- 5 x Grandstaves

5 x Evocators (200)
- Lore of Invigoration : Celestial Blades

WAR MACHINES

Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)

BATTALIONS

Cleansing Phalanx (120)

TOTAL: 2000/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1 WOUNDS: 133
LEADERS: 4/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 0/4 ARTILLERY: 3/4
ARTEFACTS: 1/2 ALLIES: 0/400

Thank you :)

Edited by Orzo

3 minutes ago, PJetski said:

In my Anvilstrike list I cut both Relictor and Castellant for a Veritant. I found that +1 save is not impactful, so instead of paying 200 points for a Prayer + Gryph-hound I paid 120 for the Veritant and got an unbind (sometimes at +3).

Incantor is necessary, if only for the dispel scroll. Cancelling a 3d3 Plaguewind, Mirrors, Curse of Years, etc. is crucial to victory. Stacking the charge debuffs from Spirit Storm and Hurricanes is also great at stopping Gav bombs, eel deep strikes, and Brayherd ambushes, turning a 9" charge into an 11" charge.

Have you tried Anvilstrike with 20x Judicator instead of Longstrikes? It seems to be stronger overall because it shores up the weaknesses of the list (low volume fire, low wounds).

The Veritant seems a reasonable change, actually, I might try that out. I'm starting to feel the same about the Incantor, so it's something I'll look into.

So as for Judicators, I'm not 100% sold on the idea. Yes, on average they're going to pump out more damage per volley than the Longstrikes, but it's also a huge footprint so you rarely get everyone in range unless you Translocate, and in a lot of situations that -2/2D/potential MW profile is much better at dropping Heroes, which is where the list really excels. The Judis will be better at chewing through units, which is useful for removing scoring units, but many if not most of my games have been won by popping the support/buff pieces and then dismantling the army after, especially against things like Nurgle, Khorne, or Nighthaunt. 

Still, it's more value per point. A 20 man Judi unit is 100 points more than the Longstrikes, but since it's Battleline you can drop a Lib unit, and it's more durable. I don't have the models to run it, but I can see it being an effective option to utilize as well. I think there's a lot of variations available even though everyone is just focusing on either Gavriel or Stardrake lists.

4 minutes ago, Orzo said:

Hello! I'm still new to aos and I'm considering two lists (I can still make some changes) for 2k tournament. I'm not sure which should I choose.

I'm affraid about bad descision making on Anvils which are kind of "one trick pony". I have to send my list in 3 days so I don't have much time to try these. I have a bit less then 20 games played of AOS, so I feel really new to the game.

After I closed the warswcroll builder, I realizedthat I can have one more artifact on list 2. Nevermind, Ill ad it later..

*snip*

The first is very similar to mine that we've just been talking about here. I think the Anvils with Longstrikes setup is a very flexible build that can take a lot of opponents by surprise.

I've played games with a list similar to the second one, though I didn't run the Phalanx. I think if you have 3 Ballistas, you should at least consider an Ordinator to come with them. Other than that, 20 Sequitors with Staunch + Arcanum +Castellant is basically invincible, though you may want a Heraldor to give them a bit more mobility.

27 minutes ago, Orzo said:

- Stormhost: Anvils of the Heldenhammer
LEADERS

Lord-Arcanum (180)
- General
- Command Trait : Deathly Aura
- Artefact : Stormrage Blade

Lord-Relictor (100)
- Prayer : Translocation

Lord-Castellant (100)

Knight-Incantor (140)

UNITS

10 x Sequitors (240)

5 x Sequitors (120)

5 x Sequitors (120)

10 x Evocators (400)
- 5 x Grandstaves

9 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (540)

TOTAL: 1940/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1 WOUNDS: 110
LEADERS: 4/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 0/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4
ARTEFACTS: 1/1 ALLIES: 0/400

OR

LEADERS

Lord-Arcanum (180)
- General
- Command Trait : Staunch Defender
- Artefact : Talisman of Endurance

Lord-Castellant (100)

Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell : Lighntning Blast

Knight-Incantor (140)

UNITS

20 x Sequitors (400)

5 x Sequitors (120)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields

5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
- 1 x Grandhammers

5 x Evocators (200)
- 5 x Grandstaves

5 x Evocators (200)
- Lore of Invigoration : Celestial Blades

WAR MACHINES

Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)

BATTALIONS

Cleansing Phalanx (120)

TOTAL: 2000/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1 WOUNDS: 133
LEADERS: 4/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 0/4 ARTILLERY: 3/4
ARTEFACTS: 1/2 ALLIES: 0/400

List 1 feels like its low on bodies and doesn't really have a synergy other than the 9 Longstrikes. In isolation all units are great, which is sort of the Stormcast thing I guess, but you're  unlikely to be attacked in isolation. If you're going Anvil shooting you really need to screen the missile unit, but this list feels like you're trying to get away with everything being punchy. Having said that I've never seen it played, only know the theory, so I could be talking nonsense. 

List 2, taking 3 Ballista without an Oridinator feels like tempting fate. If you want them to do something, which presumably you do as there's 3 of them, get rid of an Incantor and take an Ordinator to maximise their investment.

Again, the units in isolation will be fine but four units of  models and one big mob sort of communicates your intentions beforehand I think. Evocators are too expensive to be used to hold objectives, so I assume they're there for the Cleansing Phalanx? In which case having one super empowered unit of Sequitors, half of whom won't be able to fight because their footprint is about a yard wide, and then other wee runty unit of empowered Sequitors feels misguided. I know 20 are cheaper in bulk and it's basically impossible to chew threw them up but I think you'd get a lot more value out of the battalion with a 10 and a 15. Or alternatively, don't take Cleansing Phalanx, make the Evocators a 10, and then bump up the 5 Sequitors to a 10 with the points saved. 

For both, In straight up fights you'll do a lot of damage but you're really lacking MW output which in my experience is the thing that tips SC over from being quality combatants to winners when you get into combat. Due to the cost of our units if combats are drawn out then having a unit stuck in combat or it's movement dictated by surrounding enemies is costlier for us than it is for most as we don't have the bodies to steal objectives or reinforce. You need that one unit who reliably blows something up in a turn which is why Evocators are so great, they essentially attack twice and the second time they don't need to roll to wound. They're a reliable cutting edge. I'd say at the moment against things that ignore rend or have high saving throws, you're going to get stuck in fights that you can't quite win in time, and then either swamped or outmaneuvered.  

Edited by Nos

2 hours ago, Requizen said:

Yeah it's definitely an option, especially given how meaty a 10-man unit can be, and it's still quite punchy. The only downside is that losing a Wizard unit misses out on a dispel, which isn't a huge deal, but it also makes me weaker on Places of Arcane Power and Relocation Orb, which are pretty popular tournament missions. Those are already really matchup dependent (I've faced Nagash on them twice, try shifting him off an Objective before he tables you 😕 ), so idk how losing that extra scoring possibility will affect overall performance.

It's worth testing, though. I think there's a lot of changes possibly
- Keep the list the same, but swap the Castellant for an Incantor, trading defensive power and CP for extra MWs and the dispel scroll
- Drop the Evocators for Incantor + 10 Skinks, getting more bodies and similar Wizard power, but losing punch and defense

I'm also sure there's some way to trade the Castellant for an Arcanum and get Sequitors in there, but I'm not sure how much it changes the overall power level. All worth considering.

What’s your thoughts on this as an alternative lists?

6CB41DFC-4005-41B8-B436-4C5C31AECBAB.png

83859B06-E048-48ED-95CC-92C83005B3B9.png

3659D97C-2D31-4D78-8A56-DE77AE5C0DC1.png

4F82DDFE-BEC8-4CD6-9A39-FA43A57FD286.png

Edited by Twh30
Adding content

2 hours ago, Nos said:

List 1 feels like its low on bodies and doesn't really have a synergy other than the 9 Longstrikes. In isolation all units are great, which is sort of the Stormcast thing I guess, but you're  unlikely to be attacked in isolation. If you're going Anvil shooting you really need to screen the missile unit, but this list feels like you're trying to get away with everything being punchy. Having said that I've never seen it played, only know the theory, so I could be talking nonsense. 

List 2, taking 3 Ballista without an Oridinator feels like tempting fate. If you want them to do something, which presumably you do as there's 3 of them, get rid of an Incantor and take an Ordinator to maximise their investment.

Again, the units in isolation will be fine but four units of  models and one big mob sort of communicates your intentions beforehand I think. Evocators are too expensive to be used to hold objectives, so I assume they're there for the Cleansing Phalanx? In which case having one super empowered unit of Sequitors, half of whom won't be able to fight because their footprint is about a yard wide, and then other wee runty unit of empowered Sequitors feels misguided. I know 20 are cheaper in bulk and it's basically impossible to chew threw them up but I think you'd get a lot more value out of the battalion with a 10 and a 15. Or alternatively, don't take Cleansing Phalanx, make the Evocators a 10, and then bump up the 5 Sequitors to a 10 with the points saved. 

For both, In straight up fights you'll do a lot of damage but you're really lacking MW output which in my experience is the thing that tips SC over from being quality combatants to winners when you get into combat. Due to the cost of our units if combats are drawn out then having a unit stuck in combat or it's movement dictated by surrounding enemies is costlier for us than it is for most as we don't have the bodies to steal objectives or reinforce. You need that one unit who reliably blows something up in a turn which is why Evocators are so great, they essentially attack twice and the second time they don't need to roll to wound. They're a reliable cutting edge. I'd say at the moment against things that ignore rend or have high saving throws, you're going to get stuck in fights that you can't quite win in time, and then either swamped or outmaneuvered.  

Thank you a lot sir!

After a while, I came up with two new options. In Liberator version I can eventualy change 5 liberators for a Commet, but I've played Comet Before and I don't like it too muchm plus just 5 libs seems just to be judged to death. ..

Staunch 1.png

Staunch 2.png

12 minutes ago, Twh30 said:

What’s your thoughts on this as an alternative list? 

Hm, I'm not sure. It's a lot of shooting power, sure, but it'll fall apart quite quickly to things that Alpha or get across the table fast. The CP use for Longstrikes I don't think is worth it for only 6. Longstrikes in general are not very efficient at shooting non-heroes, so every time you use that CA you want to get as much out of it as possible, which means a big unit.

Not saying it couldn't work, though. The amount of shooting available in the list could be strong enough to just table many armies before they can react, and many armies don't have the capability of surviving massed ranged damage and still pulling out a win.

1 minute ago, Requizen said:

Hm, I'm not sure. It's a lot of shooting power, sure, but it'll fall apart quite quickly to things that Alpha or get across the table fast. The CP use for Longstrikes I don't think is worth it for only 6. Longstrikes in general are not very efficient at shooting non-heroes, so every time you use that CA you want to get as much out of it as possible, which means a big unit.

Not saying it couldn't work, though. The amount of shooting available in the list could be strong enough to just table many armies before they can react, and many armies don't have the capability of surviving massed ranged damage and still pulling out a win.

Thank you . I was think there are a lot of hordes around as well hence 1 unit of judicators with crossbows to drop down behind enemy lines? But yes could move stuff around to include 3x more long strikes

1 minute ago, Twh30 said:

Thank you . I was think there are a lot of hordes around as well hence 1 unit of judicators with crossbows to drop down behind enemy lines? But yes could move stuff around to include 3x more long strikes

Crossbow Judis are good at chewing through units. If you really want to chunk down hordes of chumps, take Raptors with Crossbows and watch them evaporate.

2 minutes ago, Requizen said:

Crossbow Judis are good at chewing through units. If you really want to chunk down hordes of chumps, take Raptors with Crossbows and watch them evaporate.

I may try that I have some of those already could take out 1 ballista ordinator , incantor and comet and add in heraldor/ veritant and 6x crossbow raptors 

6 hours ago, PJetski said:

Re: Castigators

I think their main problem is that they don't have a niche. They are the least cost effective shooting in our army, and Rend-2 shooting is also provided by the Ballista. Even at 60 points they would still be one of the worst shooting options we currently have.

Here are the changes I would propose:

Since they are firing grenades it would make sense for them to be the anti-horde shooters.

• Burst of Celestial Energy: Each time you make a successful hit roll with a Thunderhead Greatbow while targeting a unit with 5 or more models, it explodes and causes D3 hits instead. If you target a unit with 10 or more models, it causes D6 hits instead.
  • Castigator Aetheric Channeling: At the start of the shooting phase you can choose one of these effects: increase the Rend to -2, or you can re-roll the dice to determine the number of hits from Burst of Celestial Energy.

With these abilities the Castigators would still be a poor choice for shooting single models but they would become a good choice for shooting most battleline, and the most efficient unit we have when shooting a unit with 10+ models. 

I agree with having them get stronger when targetting groups. I think that SCE in general needs some options in their book to deal with large numbers of models. It would certainly make Castigators more interesting choices as well. I'm surprised they didn't do that with them from the start as their description seems to imply that they would work that way,

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Requizen said:

Crossbow Judicators are shockingly underrated, assuming you can be in range and not move during the movement phase. 

Ballista with Ordinator (assuming you split the cost of the Ordinator across 4 ballista) is the most cost effective shooting against anything with a 4+ save or better, but against anything with worse than a 4+ save the Hurricanes are by far the best shooting unit we can take.

stormcasting shooting.png

• Like 1

I think there's probably a build to be made at least partially utilizing the Vanguard Justicar battalion. You're never going to get 1 drop in Stormcast outside of going nuts with Skyborne, but it'll keep the drops down and threaten some serious shooting hurt. Something like 6x Longstrikes, 2x3 Hurricanes threatens basically the entire game, and you could potentially run Sequitors and Skinks on the ground for an anvil of sorts to score and secure space with.

2 hours ago, Requizen said:

I think there's probably a build to be made at least partially utilizing the Vanguard Justicar battalion.

I think it would fit into an Anvils list well - the battalion ability removes the need for an Azyros, as well as the 50 point shortage for an extra CP. Maybe 20 skinks instead of 10 for some extra screening, but I think it is potentially more efficient. 

12 minutes ago, schwabbele said:

Hmm are there any good Dracoline painting tutorials? The Warhammer TV one is kinda meh and google isn't helping me much either 😭

There are some tips in battletome, depends on how you want them to look though

15 minutes ago, mmmbbb3 said:

does the stardrake work anymore? i remember the les martin stardrake list, is there anything like it rn?

Yes, it's just as good as it's always been. Potentially better, with some of the shifts in Meta and item inclusions. Ignax's Scales make a "traditional" Stardrake list a bit hardier, since it has some defense against MWs, which was always his big weakness. 

Additionally, there's a build going around out there that looks like this:

LC on Stardrake (Staunch, Smouldering Helm)
Lord-Castellant
Knight-Incantor (Azyrite Halo)

Judicators x5
Judicators x5
Judicators x5

Fulminators x2
Fulminators x2

Everblaze Comet

2000/2000

Lots of ranged damage, much of it MWs. Cast Halo and Lantern on the Stardrake, and it'll do more MWs to an attacking unit with no rend than there were attacks against the Stardrake in the first place:

-Each natural 6 is two MWs from Halo and Helm, three if it was a reroll
-Each 4 or 5 to save is a MW from Helm, two if it was a reroll
-Each 2 or 3 is a MW if it was a reroll

So if a unit with no rend attacks a Helm/Halo Stardrake:

• 1/36 (2.7%) chance for 3 MW
  • 2/9 (22.2%)  chance for 2 MW
  • 7/18 (38.9%) chance for 1 MW
  • 1/3 (33.3%) chance for no save but no MW
  • 1/36 (2.7%) chance to take a wound (remember to save any wounds from Lantern as well)

So a unit of 40 Skeletons with Spears all getting to attack does 3 attacks per model 4+/4+/-/1. 30 saves rolled, on average the Stardrake takes .8 wounds and the Skeletons take back 27.5 MWs.

Anything without Rend explodes. Anything with Rend -1 (or Rend 0 but the Stardrake charges) explodes a bit less but still explodes. Anything with Rend 2 or higher is a real threat, but hopefully you're chunking them down a bit before they get there.

Of course, this version is way more susceptible to MWs, so watch out for that, but a lot of the game currently has to do with bricks of Chaff and the Stardrake will drop them with a laugh.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Requizen said:

Yes, it's just as good as it's always been. Potentially better, with some of the shifts in Meta and item inclusions. Ignax's Scales make a "traditional" Stardrake list a bit hardier, since it has some defense against MWs, which was always his big weakness. 

Additionally, there's a build going around out there that looks like this:

LC on Stardrake (Staunch, Smouldering Helm)
Lord-Castellant

Judicators x5
Judicators x5
Judicators x5

Fulminators x2
Fulminators x2

Everblaze Comet

2000/2000

Lots of ranged damage, much of it MWs. Cast Halo and Lantern on the Stardrake, and it'll do more MWs to an attacking unit with no rend than there were attacks against the Stardrake in the first place:

-Each natural 6 is two MWs from Halo and Helm, three if it was a reroll
-Each 4 or 5 to save is a MW from Helm, two if it was a reroll
-Each 2 or 3 is a MW if it was a reroll

So if a unit with no rend attacks a Helm/Halo Stardrake:

• 1/36 (2.7%) chance for 3 MW
  • 2/9 (22.2%)  chance for 2 MW
  • 7/18 (38.9%) chance for 1 MW
  • 1/3 (33.3%) chance for no save but no MW
  • 1/36 (2.7%) chance to take a wound (remember to save any wounds from Lantern as well)

So a unit of 40 Skeletons with Spears all getting to attack does 3 attacks per model 4+/4+/-/1. 30 saves rolled, on average the Stardrake takes .8 wounds and the Skeletons take back 27.5 MWs.

Anything without Rend explodes. Anything with Rend -1 (or Rend 0 but the Stardrake charges) explodes a bit less but still explodes. Anything with Rend 2 or higher is a real threat, but hopefully you're chunking them down a bit before they get there.

Of course, this version is way more susceptible to MWs, so watch out for that, but a lot of the game currently has to do with bricks of Chaff and the Stardrake will drop them with a laugh.

ah! thanks. i love the stardrake model so much, and im getting tired of evos end sequies! how do you get the objectives in those missions with objectives in the middle?

Edited by mmmbbb3

10 minutes ago, mmmbbb3 said:

ah! thanks. i love the stardrake model so much, and im getting tired of evos end sequies! how do you get the objectives in those missions with objectives in the middle?

Getting Objectives as Stormcast is always a pickle since we're not particularly fast or numerous, and rarely both. Generally we get objectives by killing everything else that scores and winning with what we have left over. The above list in particular will punch a hole through the midfield between Breath Attacks, Judis, and the Comet. Remember, you don't need to hold every Objective, in general you only need to hold more than your opponent, so choosing one third or half of the battlefield to focus on generally will do the trick.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HammerOfSigmar said:

I think you made a mistake? You bring two azyrite halo, but for normal spell. Shouldn't the same spell cannot be attempted to be cast for more than once even with a different wizard except those specified explicitly such as evocator's empower? 

You're right that it can't be cast more than once a turn but the Incantor isn't short of other spells to cast, his built in one, the Comet, Arcane Bolt, Mystic Shield. Plus it gives you redundancy in case the one with Halo gets killed