AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Dropping Ordinator + 3 Ballista has been working really well for me. They're swingy, sure, but it's one of the most efficient 440 points of pure shooting in the game. Not to mention, fairly durable for the points (especially if you can drop into cover). 

----

ION, I went 4-1 this weekend with Anvilstrike. Really pleased with the results, the list feels very strong against a large variety of opponents.

Anvils of the Heldenhammer

Castellant (Deathly Aura)
Heraldor
Azyros (Soulthief)
Relictor (Translocation)

Libs
Libs
Libs

Raptors with Longstrikes x9
Evocators x10 (Grandstaves, Speed of Lightning)
Evocators x5 (Grandstaves, Speed of Lightning)
Skinks
Aetherwings

1950/2000

Game 1, played against Nurgle Daemons (GUO, Festus, Spoilpox, Lord of Afflictions, 5 Blightkings, 2x30 Plaguebearers, 6 Drones) on Total Conquest. He gave me first (which was a theme for a lot of the event, given I'm 12 drops), and with that I popped Festus and then whiffed into the Lord of Afflictions. I snagged my objective and the two neutral ones with Skinks and Scions. He moved up and charged my screening Libs and the big Evo unit with powered up Drones, dropping a couple Evos and a Lib, but not nearly as much as he needed to. I put the Lord of Afflictions to half by MWs alone, while my small Evo unit fought the Blightkings to a standstill. I won the roll off, used Heroes of Another Age on the big Evo unit and the Longstrikes to drop the Lord and Spoilpox respectively, and then used the Heraldor to retreat my Evos and charge them into a Plaguebearer unit, nuking it to half with a good roll. Also I was able to drop 5 Libs onto his home Objective, stealing it from the one GUO who was holding it. At this point, I had only lost some Libs and he lost half his troops and all but one Hero, but he played for a lucky objective snag, while I focused on denying him any points. Major win.

Game 2, played against a mixed Chaos list on Focal Points. Lots of heroes with a few units to hold down the fort (Belakor, Valkia, Daemon Prince of Khorne, Khorne Juggerlord, Verminlord Deceiver, Wrathmongers, mix of troops).  Unfortunately for him, my army is designed to snipe Heroes. He takes first, moves onto the middle objective and charges my 5 man Evo unit with Valkia. She kills one and a half, and then they smash her back because that's what Evos do. My turn, Longstrikes drop the Daemon Prince to 2 Wounds remaining in the Hero Phase, and then the Heraldor toots him to death while the Longstrikes shoot off the Juggerlord. Evos blast down some Marauders, while Skinks screen Be'lakor off of my objective. He wins priority, and jumps his Verminlord into my backfield. I stop that charge with Aetherwings. My turn, I shoot that guy to death (his -2 to be shot happens in the Shooting Phase, and Heroes of Another Age happens in the Hero Phase), and then drop Be'lakor with some Shooting and with Evo charges. He holds the objectives for a bit longer with his bodies doing retreat shenanigans, and the Wrathmongers fail to kill the Evos, but by turn 4 he's all but tabled. Major Win. 

Game 3, another Nurgle army, this time on Gift From The Heavens (GUO, Harbinger of Decay, Lord of Blights, Sorcerer, 2x10 Blight Kings, 2x5 Blight Kings, Blight Cyst). This is actually an army that I don't really like playing, since I can't really bop a unit of 10 Blight Kings that quickly if they have the Harbinger CA going for the 5+++. However, he gives me first turn, which was imo not the best play. I had set up my Longstrikes defensively (knowing how fast he can run + charge with the tree), but then Translocated them into range of his Harbinger and shot them with Heroes of Another Age. He dropped, and then I screened off my Longstrikes with Scions units and the small Evo block. Down his main defensive tool, he charged into my big blob of dudes in the middle of the table, killing a lot of Libs and most of the small Evo unit. He failed to get the double, which hurt, since I shot a chunk out of his Kings, and then charged and instagibbed the GUO with the big Evo unit (2 damage weapons with lots of rerolls + the MW spam is hard to live through). The meteor also dropped right behind the bulk of my force, meaning he had to go through ~12 Evos and 9 Longstrikes to get to it. After shutting down his Blight King charge with my Aetherwings and countercharging with the Evos while taking his meteor with my last Scion unit, he conceded. Major Win.

Game 4 against Death (Nagash, Necromancer, Lord Executioner, 40 Skellies, 30 Grimghast Reapers, 2x10 Chainrasps, some Endless Spells) on Relocation Orb. I can't remember the other Realmscapes because they didn't matter, but this one did since it was Ulgu with the 18" range limitation, which really messed up my gameplan. He gave me first, which also was a real kick in the teeth because of the way Relocation Orb scores. Still, I managed to Translocate into range and pop his Necromancer on turn 1, shutting down a good amount of damage, while also getting a good number of models onto the Orb, including some Evos for the 20 count. I positioned my Aetherwings to stop the Reaper charge (those things are terrifying, btw), but he killed them with Spells and the Gaze of Nagash, so I ate 30 Reapers to the face. Needless to say, it did not go well. Still, he did not double me, and with my Evo counter charge I was able to take them down to 9 remaining... which when you're playing against a good Death player might as well not have been any damage at all. He regenned something like 12 of them and then scythed through (no pun intended) the rest of my army. Even though I denied him from getting it on T2, because he got 3 to my 2 and killed the lion's share of my army with Nagash unmolested, we just called it. Major Loss.

Game 5 went against Dreadwood (Drycha, Treelord Ancient, Branchwitch, 6x Scythe Kurnoth Hunters, 4x5 Spite Revenants, 6 Morrsar Guard (allies) on Scorched Earth. He got all 3 of his Stratagems, which hurt, and I misdeployed, which also hurt. He managed to charge my 10 man Evo unit with the Hunters T1 thanks to taking first and using the 6" redeploy. I should have screened them better or at least had the Aetherwings better set up to shut down the charge, but it was my mistake and he wiped the unit to a man. He took one of my objectives for 4 total. My turn, I shot down the Hunters to about half, and dropped some Scions units to contest his objectives. I managed to outnumber on one of them, getting me 3. He got priority, and swung the Eels back to clear up his objective, but I was able to stop his second Hunter charge by tagging them with the Aetherwings, and he whiffed against them, only killing 1. He elected not to burn my Objective, knowing it would take me 2 turns to get over to it. On my turn, I cleared out the Hunters and Drycha (who had been threatening my Skink unit since early on), and hurt his Branchwychwith the Heraldor horn, using his own Woods against him. Then, as a stroke of luck, I got the double turn, allowing me to get my own objective back, finish of the Branchwych, and outnumber him on two of his objectives, burning them for 2 and 3 points. Then the game came down to some dodgy blocking of my own objectives and some lucky (or unlucky) run rolls, only letting him get one of my objectives. I eeked out the Major Win.

Really fun games, and a list that I really enjoy playing. Great event overall!

• Like 6

@Requizen great write up! I love that list as I have been experimenting with shooty bits and skinks.

Do you think the nagash fight would have gone differently with different realm scape features? I've thought a lot about this and don't see a clear road to 5 wins with realmscape features and a heavy investment in longstrike raptors. I think there are so many lists that it handle well, including death. Just not sure if it affords the points for a 'plan b' as it would just weaken your plan a.

10 minutes ago, Requizen said:

Dropping Ordinator + 3 Ballista has been working really well for me. They're swingy, sure, but it's one of the most efficient 440 points of pure shooting in the game. Not to mention, fairly durable for the points (especially if you can drop into cover). 

----

ION, I went 4-1 this weekend with Anvilstrike. Really pleased with the results, the list feels very strong against a large variety of opponents.

Anvils of the Heldenhammer

Castellant (Deathly Aura)
Heraldor
Azyros (Soulthief)
Relictor (Translocation)

Libs
Libs
Libs

Raptors with Longstrikes x9
Evocators x10 (Grandstaves, Speed of Lightning)
Evocators x5 (Grandstaves, Speed of Lightning)
Skinks
Aetherwings

1950/2000

Game 1, played against Nurgle Daemons (GUO, Festus, Spoilpox, Lord of Afflictions, 5 Blightkings, 2x30 Plaguebearers, 6 Drones) on Total Conquest. He gave me first (which was a theme for a lot of the event, given I'm 12 drops), and with that I popped Festus and then whiffed into the Lord of Afflictions. I snagged my objective and the two neutral ones with Skinks and Scions. He moved up and charged my screening Libs and the big Evo unit with powered up Drones, dropping a couple Evos and a Lib, but not nearly as much as he needed to. I put the Lord of Afflictions to half by MWs alone, while my small Evo unit fought the Blightkings to a standstill. I won the roll off, used Heroes of Another Age on the big Evo unit and the Longstrikes to drop the Lord and Spoilpox respectively, and then used the Heraldor to retreat my Evos and charge them into a Plaguebearer unit, nuking it to half with a good roll. Also I was able to drop 5 Libs onto his home Objective, stealing it from the one GUO who was holding it. At this point, I had only lost some Libs and he lost half his troops and all but one Hero, but he played for a lucky objective snag, while I focused on denying him any points. Major win.

Game 2, played against a mixed Chaos list on Focal Points. Lots of heroes with a few units to hold down the fort (Belakor, Valkia, Daemon Prince of Khorne, Khorne Juggerlord, Verminlord Deceiver, Wrathmongers, mix of troops).  Unfortunately for him, my army is designed to snipe Heroes. He takes first, moves onto the middle objective and charges my 5 man Evo unit with Valkia. She kills one and a half, and then they smash her back because that's what Evos do. My turn, Longstrikes drop the Daemon Prince to 2 Wounds remaining in the Hero Phase, and then the Heraldor toots him to death while the Longstrikes shoot off the Juggerlord. Evos blast down some Marauders, while Skinks screen Be'lakor off of my objective. He wins priority, and jumps his Verminlord into my backfield. I stop that charge with Aetherwings. My turn, I shoot that guy to death (his -2 to be shot happens in the Shooting Phase, and Heroes of Another Age happens in the Hero Phase), and then drop Be'lakor with some Shooting and with Evo charges. He holds the objectives for a bit longer with his bodies doing retreat shenanigans, and the Wrathmongers fail to kill the Evos, but by turn 4 he's all but tabled. Major Win. 

Game 3, another Nurgle army, this time on Gift From The Heavens (GUO, Harbinger of Decay, Lord of Blights, Sorcerer, 2x10 Blight Kings, 2x5 Blight Kings, Blight Cyst). This is actually an army that I don't really like playing, since I can't really bop a unit of 10 Blight Kings that quickly if they have the Harbinger CA going for the 5+++. However, he gives me first turn, which was imo not the best play. I had set up my Longstrikes defensively (knowing how fast he can run + charge with the tree), but then Translocated them into range of his Harbinger and shot them with Heroes of Another Age. He dropped, and then I screened off my Longstrikes with Scions units and the small Evo block. Down his main defensive tool, he charged into my big blob of dudes in the middle of the table, killing a lot of Libs and most of the small Evo unit. He failed to get the double, which hurt, since I shot a chunk out of his Kings, and then charged and instagibbed the GUO with the big Evo unit (2 damage weapons with lots of rerolls + the MW spam is hard to live through). The meteor also dropped right behind the bulk of my force, meaning he had to go through ~12 Evos and 9 Longstrikes to get to it. After shutting down his Blight King charge with my Aetherwings and countercharging with the Evos while taking his meteor with my last Scion unit, he conceded. Major Win.

Game 4 against Death (Nagash, Necromancer, Lord Executioner, 40 Skellies, 30 Grimghast Reapers, 2x10 Chainrasps, some Endless Spells) on Relocation Orb. I can't remember the other Realmscapes because they didn't matter, but this one did since it was Ulgu with the 18" range limitation, which really messed up my gameplan. He gave me first, which also was a real kick in the teeth because of the way Relocation Orb scores. Still, I managed to Translocate into range and pop his Necromancer on turn 1, shutting down a good amount of damage, while also getting a good number of models onto the Orb, including some Evos for the 20 count. I positioned my Aetherwings to stop the Reaper charge (those things are terrifying, btw), but he killed them with Spells and the Gaze of Nagash, so I ate 30 Reapers to the face. Needless to say, it did not go well. Still, he did not double me, and with my Evo counter charge I was able to take them down to 9 remaining... which when you're playing against a good Death player might as well not have been any damage at all. He regenned something like 12 of them and then scythed through (no pun intended) the rest of my army. Even though I denied him from getting it on T2, because he got 3 to my 2 and killed the lion's share of my army with Nagash unmolested, we just called it. Major Loss.

Game 5 went against Dreadwood (Drycha, Treelord Ancient, Branchwitch, 6x Scythe Kurnoth Hunters, 4x5 Spite Revenants, 6 Morrsar Guard (allies) on Scorched Earth. He got all 3 of his Stratagems, which hurt, and I misdeployed, which also hurt. He managed to charge my 10 man Evo unit with the Hunters T1 thanks to taking first and using the 6" redeploy. I should have screened them better or at least had the Aetherwings better set up to shut down the charge, but it was my mistake and he wiped the unit to a man. He took one of my objectives for 4 total. My turn, I shot down the Hunters to about half, and dropped some Scions units to contest his objectives. I managed to outnumber on one of them, getting me 3. He got priority, and swung the Eels back to clear up his objective, but I was able to stop his second Hunter charge by tagging them with the Aetherwings, and he whiffed against them, only killing 1. He elected not to burn my Objective, knowing it would take me 2 turns to get over to it. On my turn, I cleared out the Hunters and Drycha (who had been threatening my Skink unit since early on), and hurt his Branchwychwith the Heraldor horn, using his own Woods against him. Then, as a stroke of luck, I got the double turn, allowing me to get my own objective back, finish of the Branchwych, and outnumber him on two of his objectives, burning them for 2 and 3 points. Then the game came down to some dodgy blocking of my own objectives and some lucky (or unlucky) run rolls, only letting him get one of my objectives. I eeked out the Major Win.

Really fun games, and a list that I really enjoy playing. Great event overall!

Thank you for the nice roundup :)

Unfortunately you can't change your units. Rapid Raptors would´ve been really good with the 18" range. Do you take the raptors purely because of the range or do you think they are better than rapidfires?

I personally think they are just for different purposes. Longstrike for hero sniping, no contest. Rapids at the moment I am having trouble justifying over ballista -- which just seems purely better. However I haven't run ballista and longstrike in the same list yet but maybe finding a way to do it would solve the realmscape issues?

59 minutes ago, Future said:

I personally think they are just for different purposes. Longstrike for hero sniping, no contest. Rapids at the moment I am having trouble justifying over ballista -- which just seems purely better. However I haven't run ballista and longstrike in the same list yet but maybe finding a way to do it would solve the realmscape issues?

Mostly my thoughts. I have Evocators for midrange/close combat, the list basically uses the Longstrikes to snipe Heroes and lynchpin units. Nothing shuts down a list faster than putting around 20 wounds into the important model of your choice from 30" away (plus teleporting). Once you remove buff Heroes, punchy Heroes, or cut down a small but powerful unit to basically half size before it can get anywhere, the game is about your opponent scrambling to get back together.

However, it is hyper elite and in my games of Total Conquest and Focal Points, for the first couple turns I was down points because they just outnumbered me too hard. You need to be clever about positioning until the Evos can clear up numbers (the 10 man unit can deal 20-30 wounds without much problem). 

Honestly Evos are a bit too strong. Even on foot, without Gav, they obliterated everything they touched except the last game. Heraldor letting them position is super key, especially with an extra CP to get big runs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Future said:

@Requizen great write up! I love that list as I have been experimenting with shooty bits and skinks.

Do you think the nagash fight would have gone differently with different realm scape features? I've thought a lot about this and don't see a clear road to 5 wins with realmscape features and a heavy investment in longstrike raptors. I think there are so many lists that it handle well, including death. Just not sure if it affords the points for a 'plan b' as it would just weaken your plan a.

As to this, I think I could have put up a decent fight if I didn't have limited range. I wouldn't have needed to put my Longstrikes in charge range, and it would have looked very different. I don't know if this is consistently a 4-1 army, because there are things that hard shut down shooting like that. I think it can go 5-0 with a bit of luck, though. 

If I had full range, I may have tried to hit Nagash. With double tapping, I do something like 12-13 wounds on average to him, which doesn't drop him but it does reduce his power by a lot. Or I could have killed both small Heroes and shut down some of his resurrection power. LoN is just an insanely strong army, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Requizen said:

As to this, I think I could have put up a decent fight if I didn't have limited range. I wouldn't have needed to put my Longstrikes in charge range, and it would have looked very different. I don't know if this is consistently a 4-1 army, because there are things that hard shut down shooting like that. I think it can go 5-0 with a bit of luck, though. 

If I had full range, I may have tried to hit Nagash. With double tapping, I do something like 12-13 wounds on average to him, which doesn't drop him but it does reduce his power by a lot. Or I could have killed both small Heroes and shut down some of his resurrection power. LoN is just an insanely strong army, though.

I've had similar experiences playing SCE in tournaments. I do very well and hard counter most armies, but there's a handful that I just never seem to do well against. Nagash in particular is one of those lists that I've had trouble with in the past. Getting a realm feature that limits your range can really hurt your army.

As for Hurricane Raptors vs Celestar Ballistas vs Crossbow Judicators, each of them are fairly well balanced cost-wise in my opinion. The crossbow judicators have a special weapon that causes mortal wounds, and they hit better. The Raptors put out more consistent damage. The Ballistas are extremely  swingy with their damage output. The lack of reliability is in my opinion why their points are so low compared to the others. You're basically paying for consistency and the expectation that if you fire at a target you will definitely do (average) X damage. I've actually sort of gone off the ballistas lately after taking them in games since AoS 2 hit. They are good, but I don't like when I whiff my attacks with them and they do nothing.

As for taking out Nagash... My biggest issue with dealing with him has to do with how many morghasts he has near him. My old army needed a double turn in order to take him out. My current army however can reliably kill him in a single turn (at full strength) including the Morghasts, if he exposes himself. If he surrounds himself with a bunch of skeletons, I have a very difficult time with him, so basically it depends on how he's played.

The idea of just using a heraldor to move Evocators around the board is quite interesting, and not something that I thought about previously. I'm glad that it seemed to work out pretty good for you. That's maybe something I should look into if/when I build a more troop-heavy army.

2 hours ago, Mark Williams said:

By the way, what's your set up with Aetherwings in regards to Longstrikes? Do you keep them close to the longstrikes (few inches away), or far away  (max 18")?

Depends. You rarely need them right next to the Raptors, unless you expect some sort of crazy short teleport like Moonstone from Sylvaneth. 

Most of the time, I'll position them so they can be between the Raptors and the main enemy threat, while also reaching an objective to contest. You generally want to approach the enemy from a flank, hitting exactly 3" from one model to take the least amount of damage. So, trying to bait the opponent in and then keeping the birds on the side to sneak in. 

This works really well with the Evo units, which they'll try to avoid, so you can keep your Raptors quite safe and almost plan the path your opponents will take. 

3 minutes ago, Requizen said:

Depends. You rarely need them right next to the Raptors, unless you expect some sort of crazy short teleport like Moonstone from Sylvaneth. 

Most of the time, I'll position them so they can be between the Raptors and the main enemy threat, while also reaching an objective to contest. You generally want to approach the enemy from a flank, hitting exactly 3" from one model to take the least amount of damage. So, trying to bait the opponent in and then keeping the birds on the side to sneak in. 

This works really well with the Evo units, which they'll try to avoid, so you can keep your Raptors quite safe and almost plan the path your opponents will take. 

There's a question in the rules subforum on aetherwings saying we can't do this. I tried to reply, but yeah...

Hey stormbros,

I need some advice on a list i'm planning to bring to a local tourney in a couple of weeks.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________-

2000 Points Tempest Lords

Lord-Aquilor - Relic(Patrician's Helm) - 200
Knight-Incantor - 140
Knight-Heraldor - 100

Evocators - 10 man - Celestial Blades - 5 Grandstaves - 400
Vanguard Hunters - 5 man - Axes -120
Vanguard Hunters - 5 man - Axes -120
Vanguard Hunters - 5 man - Sabres -120
Vanguard Palladors - 6 man - Javelins - 400
Vanguard Raptors - 6 man - Hurricane Crossbows - 280

Endless Spells:
Everblaze Comet - 100
Shackles - 20

Total: 2000

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Deployment: Evocators, Heraldor and 2 of the Hunter squads will be in reserve, while the rest will be deployed on the board.
The idea is to use the comet and objectives to draw the enemy forces forward and apart. Then, using the Aquilor to come in with the palladors and evocators dropping in with the heraldor to hit one flank of the enemy force and gain local superiority. I've done it a couple of times and while successful, I felt like I needed a bigger punch. Hence the 10 man Evos.  The Heraldor is there mainly to keep the evocators mobile by allowing them to run and charge. So after wiping out one unit, they can move on to the next. The Knight-Incantor is there for spells.

I've chosen Tempest Lords because of the fluff and also because I realised that to stay mobile I need lots of CPs. So far, I've not had trouble with CPs.  Also, i've gone for vanguard chambers/themed list because I generally like the fluff and the mobile playstyle compared to more conventional SCE armies. The realm on the other hand is something i'm not sold on just yet.

Would appreciate your wisdom regarding these questions and any other thoughts you guys could share.

Edited by Synidus
Formatting

Looks good.  I do like Vanguard Chamber although they can be tough to win with against some popular lists at the moment (I'm looking at you Nagash! And you 12 million Plaguebearers!)
I'm a big fan of Longstrikes, but I don't see how you could fit any in without dropping something essential.
Also I would probably drop the shackles and hope to get a triumph.
What extra spell are you going for on the Incantor?

What you will find hard think is armies with big blobs of resilient troops, especially with shooting debuffs, as you don't have the bodies to outscore them on objectives.

• Like 1

The goal with Anvilstrike is to kill cripple the enemy so badly on turn 1 & 2 that they don't have the models left to contest you on objectives turns 3-5.

Most matched play battleplans reward the 2/3 double turn, which is perfect for this kind of list.

Edited by PJetski

1 minute ago, PJetski said:

The goal with Anvilstrike is to kill cripple the enemy so badly on turn 1 & 2 that they don't have the models left to contest you on objectives turns 3-5.

Most matched play battleplans reward the 2/3 double turn, which is perfect for this kind of list.

Yeah that's the big swing point. It almost plays like an Alpha strike army -  you want to kneecap the army so horribly that they basically don't get to play the game, or at least in the way they want to. Which, I suppose, isn't that fun to play against since I remove your toys before you can play with them, but it is extremely effective. 

58 minutes ago, Requizen said:

Yeah that's the big swing point. It almost plays like an Alpha strike army -  you want to kneecap the army so horribly that they basically don't get to play the game, or at least in the way they want to. Which, I suppose, isn't that fun to play against since I remove your toys before you can play with them, but it is extremely effective. 

It's absolutely zero fun to play against. It's not as oppressively un-fun as Aetherstrike... but that's not going to give your opponents any solace.

The version I've been looking at goes all-in on shooting because it helps against the very popular Nagash lists. 12x Longstrikes,  ballistas, incantor + comet, Judicators, and birds to stop charges.

17 minutes ago, PJetski said:

It's absolutely zero fun to play against. It's not as oppressively un-fun as Aetherstrike... but that's not going to give your opponents any solace.

The version I've been looking at goes all-in on shooting because it helps against the very popular Nagash lists. 12x Longstrikes,  ballistas, incantor + comet, Judicators, and birds to stop charges.

To be honest, most strong lists that rely on "gamey" mechanics are unfun to play against. Nagash and boys is oppressively unfun since you can't kill anything and Nagash casts more spells than your army by himself. KO Dropship was really unfun while it lasted. Changehost, Vanguard Wing, Gavriel all fall into this category as well. The most fun armies to play against are when both you and your opponent are just playing regular armies with no shenanigans, and the game comes down to positioning and decision making. However, those aren't the sorts of armies that hit top tables, because they don't combat the shenanigans armies.

Personally I wouldn't go that much into shooting. Without Evos, you kinda fall apart if something is fast enough to get into melee range with you, like Eels or Gav. I don't think I'd perform nearly as well without the 10 Evocators in a solid counter-charge unit. In some games, they'll not even get into something until T3, but that's ok because they denied a huge amount of space that the opponent was too scared to enter. Judis and Ballistas don't do that sort of thing.

Edit: My new fun gimmick idea is Vanguard Justicar shooting Anvils, but with a Stardrake taking Ethereal Amulet with the extra Battalion Artifact. Shoot everything, and then your Stardrake can Command Ability himself to fight in the Hero Phase, which includes Maw and Tail attacks.

Edited by Requizen

5 minutes ago, PJetski said:

Melee shouldn't be a problem. Birds stop charges and you can screen Longstrikes with your battleline

I'm most worried about mortal wounds from range, and I feel that adding more shootings lets me kill their ranged units before they can kill my Longstrikes

For sure, it's worth considering. I'd love to see how you do with it! I might try something similar, just drop my Evos for Ballistas/Judis, maybe even drop the Castellant. 

Just now, PJetski said:

I wouldn't drop the Castellant... the gryph hound is too good at stopping deep strike armies like Beasts of Chaos and Nighthaunt

Eh, the 1" extra bubble isn't exactly massive and the change to make it 'friendly unit wholly within 9" once per turn'  made it lose a lot of power in my mind. A big unit like the Longstrikes will essentially have to hug the Gryph Hound, and there's a lot of ways for people to get around it. 

Don't get me wrong, it's still good. It stops Skryre almost dead in its tracks, and that one free model has contested or held more objectives than I can remember. I just think I can put the points to better use elsewhere.

So quick question about the lore, how long does it take to be reformed? Qnd the whole teleport via lightning can they just be like oh detachment of freshly reforged peeps head to the realm of beasts and they can just salute and pop over there? Or do they need a beacon of some sort to hop arround, also is it only one way aka can telly in but not back?

Edited by Tohshi Ydithe
Forgot to add a part.

The books indicated that the original process was a few weeks/months. They did it slowly to make sure nothing went wrong. However, during the age of sigmar when they were trying to win back the lands, they had to stop doing the slower process because they needed to win battles, so they shortened the process to a day or two. The books clearly talk about warriors dying during a prolonged battle, and coming back to continue fighting within the same battle. Apparently this is very dangerous however, and it's been shown that this creates flaws in the stormcast when it happens.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AdamR said:

Looks good.  I do like Vanguard Chamber although they can be tough to win with against some popular lists at the moment (I'm looking at you Nagash! And you 12 million Plaguebearers!)
I'm a big fan of Longstrikes, but I don't see how you could fit any in without dropping something essential.
Also I would probably drop the shackles and hope to get a triumph.
What extra spell are you going for on the Incantor?

What you will find hard think is armies with big blobs of resilient troops, especially with shooting debuffs, as you don't have the bodies to outscore them on objectives.

Thanks for the feedback man.

I've decided against Longstrikes because they are too expensive for my tastes. Also, hurricanes have that added -1 to charge range that'll help keep enemy reinforcements at bay. 

Likewise with the shackles. So I'm hoping that i can disperse the enemy with the comet and then lay down shackles in the middle so that it'll hinder enemy reinforcements so i can wipe out one flank and then move on to the next. As for the Incantor's extra spell, i'm not sure. Possibly Chain Lightning or stormcaller.

As for the big blobs, yeah i'm abit concerned with that as well. But i'm hoping with the combined efforts of the evocators and palladors they can eat a big unit per turn.

I don't know if i should have another spell caster or a priest of some sort to buff units.