AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

44 minutes ago, Tohshi Ydithe said:

Is there any way I could squeeze in a Skink Starseer in this list, curse of fate seems like really helpful but the insights seems like if used well it could be very very powerful. 

I don't think that "curse of fate" is that much good, but I think that if you like a model you should play it, and by going with this thought you'll need to remove 200 points and those would be:

Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Lighntning Blast

3 x Castigators (80)

You then will have 1980 points and a chance to get a triumph.

I hope I've helped you, if you have any question don't esitate to ask.

Playing a 1500 point game, with 3 battleline requirements this weekend against Sylvaneth. Trying to decide if I should take 2x Fulminators and 10x Evocators OR 4x Fulminators and 5x Evocators.

Can I get some advice please?

Also I can drop the Arcanum to a Incantor so I can upgrade 1 of my 3 liberators to a judicator squad

Edited by Black Blade

16 hours ago, Black Blade said:

Playing a 1500 point game, with 3 battleline requirements this weekend against Sylvaneth. Trying to decide if I should take 2x Fulminators and 10x Evocators OR 4x Fulminators and 5x Evocators.

Can I get some advice please?

Also I can drop the Arcanum to a Incantor so I can upgrade 1 of my 3 liberators to a judicator squad

Without the full list (and the units you have) it's very hard to judge and give advice.
But Evocators and Sequitors are so strong that I would use them blindly in any match.

1 hour ago, Bradipo322 said:

Without the full list (and the units you have) it's very hard to judge and give advice.
But Evocators and Sequitors are so strong that I would use them blindly in any match.

Thanks for the advice, wasn't trying to post the list because I was unsure of basically everything else. I consider the comet essential and I know I will be taking evocators for sure and fulminators maybe and an Arcanum of some type for sure. I expect to face a spirit of durthu with a 2+ save and a lot of hunters. We are playing total commitment in the realm of life, so there are no reserves allowed which nullifies all my allegiance abilities. I will post my working list below, and criticism is welcome.

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum on Celestial Dracoline (240)
- General
- Trait: Staunch Defender 
- Artefact: Miasmatic Blade 
- Mount Trait: Ear-bursting Roar
Lord-Relictor (100)
- Prayer: Divine Light
Lord-Castellant (100)
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Lighntning Blast

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warblade & Shield
- 1x Grandblades
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows

Units
10 x Evocators (400)
- 10x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Celestial Blades

Endless Spells
Everblaze Comet (100)

Total: 1500 / 1500
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 83

2 hours ago, Black Blade said:

Thanks for the advice, wasn't trying to post the list because I was unsure of basically everything else. I consider the comet essential and I know I will be taking evocators for sure and fulminators maybe and an Arcanum of some type for sure. I expect to face a spirit of durthu with a 2+ save and a lot of hunters. We are playing total commitment in the realm of life, so there are no reserves allowed which nullifies all my allegiance abilities. I will post my working list below, and criticism is welcome.

Total commitment is hard for Stromcasts and with those pesky Wyldwoods shooting is not easy.

The Spirit of Durdthu is a beast and it's likely that you'll have to answer him as soon as possible, maybe mortal wounds could kill him so this would be my plan: 10 Evocators should be transported to him via Lighting Chariot (a prayer) and buffed with Speed of Lighting (any of your mages could know this spell) and Celestial Blades; this should kill him (you'l have to inflict to him at least 2 wounds with the attacks and then Celestial Lighting Arc should take care of the rest). If the Spirit of Durdthu goes down then all you have to do is to resist on the objectives.

Now on the list itself, I stongly dislike Liberators, they are bad in almost everithing  and Kurnot Hunters are going to wreck them.

The Comet is also not that good unless you plan on dropping it on an objective and expect your opponent to not have a lot of mages.

2 units of Judicators are usually good but you have to be careful as the Citadel Wood provides cover and blocks line of sight, and there are going to be at least 3 of them on the table so don't expect to shoot often. Also make sure to keep your mages away from the SIlvaneth Wyldwood.

I would bring some Sequitors, maybe in place of the 10 Judicators and 5 Liberators, I would take 3 units of 5 that would leave you with 60 free points that could be spent for a Balewind Vortex or a Dais Arcanum to let the Knight-Incantor hold an objective (thanks to the save bonus) and any 20-points Endless spells (if you expect to fight a lot of mages the Malevolent Maelstrom could be very distruptive). Sequitors hit harder than Liberators and are more durable.

Remember to use the spells of the realm, Flesh to Stone is good if your mage is trying to hold an objective, while with Mirrorpool you could teleport to one and Briarstorm could punish your opponent if he tries to get a lot of units on an objective. Remeber also that your opponent may use the same spells against you.

This might be kinda off topic, and im unsure if it's the right place to ask.

By now i got alot of SCE minis and im wondering if any of you could share a good way to transport them safely. I've thought about the citadel crusade case or other Brands. I think that zigzag foam is a relatively good solution. Most of them are pretty much the same size and would fit into that specific case perfectly. Im more worried about all my heros, especially ones like lordr relictor, knight heraldor, lord arcanum etc. 

Whats your opinion on the citadel cases? Worth it or overpriced? Any other notable Brands ?

1 hour ago, Lenwe Seregon said:

hi all

new to the AOS scene having finally given in after 8th.

I'm looking for some advice on fielding lord aquillor, palladors and sequitors in a list. Any tips?

also has anyone ever had any success with units of gryph hounds with the +2 attack buff?

cheers.

IMHO Lord Aquilor is really underwhelming. He is basically a worse version of Lord Arcanum.

His Commadn ability seems really nice, but in reality yo'd never want to move any of the Units listed. Hunters are in my opinion one of the worst units SCE has got to offer. Palladros are already fast enough themselves and raptors should never be moved unless you really have to because of their buff if they didnt move. Aetherwings are also really fast and are generally only used as charge blockers to keep your raptors safe and give them more freedom to shoot whatever they want and make sure they dont have to move.

To field sequitors efficiently you'd have to run a Lord Arcanum to make them a battleline. Using Liberators and sequitors are wasted points honestly. You could just go for a unit of Evocators instead (100pts for liberators and 120 for sequitors). Evocators (200 points for 5) are by far one of the best units SCE has right now. They hit like a Truck and can pretty much kill anything if they strike first.

Im not a big fan of Gryph hounds either. They're too expensive for what they have to offer. 18 wounds with no save. Yes they cant be attacked because they can run away but would you really want to let them attack first, when you could just use something more dangerous instead and risking that your opponent kills a important hero because you didnt attack with him first? Also they have to be WHOLLY within 6" of a lord castellant or Veritant which is like basically nothing. Another reason is that a Lord castellant is usually only used because of his lantern. giving your units like fulminators, stardrake, Lord Celestant on dracoth a 2+ save with rerolls of 1 gives you a 1/36 chance that an attack actually goes through, but you have to keep castellant close to those heroes to maintain the buff.

My recommendation would be to get a lord arcanum first to field your sequitors as battleline. If you like the way cavalry plays you could also upgrade  your palladors to fulminators which deal insane amounts of dmg as well(You'd have to use a Knight heraldor for the fulminators tho, if you read both warscroll im pretty sure you can figure out the rest for yoursefl ;)  ) . 

If you dont want to spend more money right now then poretty much the only way to play to field these troops would be filling up your battleline with liberators and taking sequitors as a non battleline and just add palladors and lord aquilor. Honestly that would be a pretty mediocre list for ~ 1k points because it lacks synergy. You'd basically have 4 different units all doing their own thing without benefiting each other

Edited by IRifter

17 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

Depends on how you mean transport.

I put magnets in my bases, stick them on a magnetic dry erase/white board, and put it like that in the large/roomy rear of my car.  They do fine.  But I wouldn't take them on the train that way...

Yea I've read about this solution. I usually just play in my local gw (about a 20 min car drive or 45 + with public transportation) or with my friends. Since i dont always have a car i wouldn't use the magnet method for public transportation.<

But usually its a rather short distance.

Edited by IRifter

2 hours ago, Bradipo322 said:

Total commitment is hard for Stromcasts and with those pesky Wyldwoods shooting is not easy.

The Spirit of Durdthu is a beast and it's likely that you'll have to answer him as soon as possible, maybe mortal wounds could kill him so this would be my plan: 10 Evocators should be transported to him via Lighting Chariot (a prayer) and buffed with Speed of Lighting (any of your mages could know this spell) and Celestial Blades; this should kill him (you'l have to inflict to him at least 2 wounds with the attacks and then Celestial Lighting Arc should take care of the rest). If the Spirit of Durdthu goes down then all you have to do is to resist on the objectives.

Now on the list itself, I stongly dislike Liberators, they are bad in almost everithing  and Kurnot Hunters are going to wreck them.

The Comet is also not that good unless you plan on dropping it on an objective and expect your opponent to not have a lot of mages.

2 units of Judicators are usually good but you have to be careful as the Citadel Wood provides cover and blocks line of sight, and there are going to be at least 3 of them on the table so don't expect to shoot often. Also make sure to keep your mages away from the SIlvaneth Wyldwood.

I would bring some Sequitors, maybe in place of the 10 Judicators and 5 Liberators, I would take 3 units of 5 that would leave you with 60 free points that could be spent for a Balewind Vortex or a Dais Arcanum to let the Knight-Incantor hold an objective (thanks to the save bonus) and any 20-points Endless spells (if you expect to fight a lot of mages the Malevolent Maelstrom could be very distruptive). Sequitors hit harder than Liberators and are more durable.

Remember to use the spells of the realm, Flesh to Stone is good if your mage is trying to hold an objective, while with Mirrorpool you could teleport to one and Briarstorm could punish your opponent if he tries to get a lot of units on an objective. Remeber also that your opponent may use the same spells against you.

Thanks, I made a mistake its the realm of Light, mist have mistype. I agree I like sequitors, my hope was to pepper units of hunters with scythes with the Judicators concentrated fire before they get their save buff. The liberators were just going to be used as a screen to soak up wounds. Thats a good idea on the "lightning chariot to speed of lightning combo" I think I will aim for that. My justification for the comet is his two wizards and his big foot print of an army. The comet coming down multiple times in a game outside dispel range and hitting everything within 20" of its center has won me games where mortal wounds have been necessary to victory. Also it doesnt require line of sight which negates his woods.

Ill consider the sequitor change though.

33 minutes ago, IRifter said:

His Commadn ability seems really nice, but in reality yo'd never want to move any of the Units listed. Hunters are in my opinion one of the worst units SCE has got to offer. Palladros are already fast enough themselves and raptors should never be moved unless you really have to because of their buff if they didnt move. Aetherwings are also really fast and are generally only used as charge blockers to keep your raptors safe and give them more freedom to shoot whatever they want and make sure they dont have to move.

Hunters and Palladors: agree

Raptors: minor correction, his CA redeploys the unit as a SET-UP, which is not a MOVE in the movement phase, thus you could still rapid fire with hurricane crossbows or strike on 30" with longstrikes. Even better: teleport 10 Judicators with crossbows via scions and shoot 4 times with each. (in the app they have 2 base attacks, which is wrong - SCE Battletome says 3 attacks base). Kind regards, 

1 minute ago, Kaleydoscope said:

Hunters and Palladors: agree

Raptors: minor correction, his CA redeploys the unit as a SET-UP, which is not a MOVE in the movement phase, thus you could still rapid fire with hurricane crossbows or strike on 30" with longstrikes. Even better: teleport 10 Judicators with crossbows via scions and shoot 4 times with each. (in the app they have 2 base attacks, which is wrong - SCE Battletome says 3 attacks base). Kind regards, 

yea you're right about that :)thanks for the correction !

Edited by IRifter
  • Thanks 1

I think it might be possible to do a sort of gun-line approach with a lord acquillor as your general.

I'm still messing around with the list, but something like this:

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Hammers of Sigmar
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Lord-Aquilor (200)
Neave Blacktalon (120)
Knight-Azyros (100)

Battleline
5 x Judicators (160)
- Boltstorm Crossbows
- 1x Thunderbolt Crossbows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Boltstorm Crossbows
- 1x Thunderbolt Crossbows

Units
3 x Aetherwings (50)
3 x Aetherwings (50)
5 x Vanguard-Hunters (120)
- Boltstorm Pistols and Shock Handaxes
3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows (140)
3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (180)
3 x Vanguard-Palladors (200)
- Boltstorm Pistols and Shock Handaxes

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 112

Your first move would be to teleport the hunters. In the 2nd turn you'd teleport the longstrikes, after using the birds to ward off any potential assault. Then in your movement phase everything would sort of "run away". Basically the idea is to redeploy your entire army and try to psych the enemy into doing their bit assault/drop move in a bad location and the get stuck on the board somewhere they don't want to be.

There's a tremendous amount of firepower dropping from the heavens, and you're going to more or less clear out anything you decide to attack. You'll have some problems with high value armor, but it's still a potentially strong list imo.

Edit: Choose a better stormhost. Astral Templars or something with a good bonus for shooting.

Edited by Mark Williams

26 minutes ago, ledha said:

of play in the realm of fire that give another -1 rend to all missile weapon and laugh at your opponent when your vanguard army actually hit hard !

Only if your target is >12" away, and only if you roll that result on the Realmscapes. It sounds really good but in practise you get maybe one round of shooting where a target is in that range. Aqshy really benefits melee armies much more than shooting armies, with spells to boost wound rolls, charge rolls, and damage of melee weapons. I've had a unit of 5 Saurus Knights deal 30 damage in one round of combat when those buffs get stacked up.

The Celestial Vindicator command ability is really good on Dracolines.

Celestial Vindicators
Lord-Arcanum on Dracoline - General + artifact, Pride Leader, Chain Lightning
9x Dracoline - Celestial Blades
Lord-Castellant
Knight-Heraldor
Knight-Incantor - Terrifying Aspect
5x Liberator
5x Liberator
5x Judicator
Chronomatic Cogs
Everblaze Comet

With Pride Leader, Celestial Blades, Empower, on the charge you are on 2+/2+ rerolling all hits and wounds. That's 27 attacks with grandstaves (R0, D2) and 27 attacks with their fangs (R1, Dd3), or ~51 wounds at 2 damage each. 

Each command point adds 18 attacks to the unit for another 17 wounds at 2 damage each. This is especially useful because a unit with a large footprint like 9x Dracolines will be splitting up its damage across multiple units, so adding 2 attacks per model helps ensure significant damage is done all across.

You can use the cogs to either get +2 move and +2 charge or use it with the Dracolines to get another spell and rerollable saves. 

The best defense against this kind of deathstar is to group up, and that's where Chain Lightning, Heraldor, and Everblaze Comet come in to punish that kind of clustered positioning.

It has some slight issues with consistency (all the different spells) and low model count but I think I finally found a Stormhost list I like more than Staunch Defender :)

• Like 2

On today's episode of "Bad RAW that needs an FAQ or House Rule", the wording of Stormhosts in the Stormcast Allegiance Abilities.

If your army is a Stormcast Eternals army, you can give it a Stormhost keyword. All Stormcast Eternals units in your army gain that keyword.

I select Seraphon as my Stormhost, therefore gaining the <Seraphon> keyword. Now, via the Allies system, I can bring in the following units as Allies and use their abilities:

• Engine of the Gods - Cosmic Engine can heal a unit of <Seraphon> Stormcast, or double all of their Move and Attack characteristics depending on the roll.
  • Slann - <Seraphon> Stormcast units are affected by the Celestial Configuration and Gift from the Heavens abilities.
  • Astrolith Bearer - <Seraphon> Stormcast units gain a reroll hit bubble and Wizards gain range
  • Skink Starpriest - A <Seraphon> Stormcast unit can infer a -1 Hit debuff on all attacks targeting them from Summon Starlight
  • Skink Priest - A <Seraphon> Stormcast unit can gain rerolls of run, charge, or save rolls from Celestial Rites.

Don't do this. But, per RAW, you can. But you'll get slapped. 

Edited by Requizen
  • Haha 1