AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

More news from a Battletome review:

Staunch changed to wholy within but range 9 and stacks with cover.

Consummate Commander gives a CP on a 4+.

One-use ítem only for Arcanums and Incantors (AFAIR) can shut a wizard for a whole turn.

Tempestors and Hurricane Raptors bring their debuff in an aura, only by being there.

Al Dracoths now use the 12" breath.

I compiled the spell lores for easy reading.
I got my eyes on Stormcaller, Azyrite Halo and Celestial blades for sure.

Lore of the Storm
(
Evocators cannot take these)
Lightning Blast, casting value of 5
The closest visible enemy unit takes D3 mortal wounds.
Starfall, casting value of 5
Pick a point on the battlefield within 12" that is visible to the caster, roll a dice for each enemy unit within 3" of that point, for each roll of 4+ they suffer a mortal wound.
Thundershock, casting value of 6
Roll a dice for each visible enemy unit within 6" of the caster, on a 4+ they take a mortal wound and must subtract 1 from all hit rolls until your next hero phase.
Azyrite Halo, casting value of 5
Pick a friendly visible STORMCAST ETERNALS unit wholly within 12", each unmodified save roll of 6 causes a mortal wound to the attacker.
Chain Lightning, casting value of 7
Pick an visible enemy unit within 24", that unit suffers D3 mortal wounds and roll a dice for each enemy unit within 3" of that unit, on a 4+ they take a mortal wound.
Stormcaller, casting value of 7
Roll a dice for each enemy unit on the battlefield, on a 6+ they take D3 mortal wounds.

Lore of Invigoration
(
Evocators can take these)
Terrifying Aspect, casting value of 5
Pick a visible friendly STORMCAST ETERNALS unit wholly within 18", until your next hero phase enemy units within 3" of that unit must subtract 1 from their bravery.
Celestial Blades, casting value of 5
Pick a visible friendly STORMCAST ETERNALS unit wholly within 18", add 1 to the wound roll for that units weapons until your next hero phase.
Speed of Lightning, casting value of 5
Pick a visible friendly STORMCAST ETERNALS unit wholly within 9", you can reroll charge rolls for that unit until your next hero phase.
Edited by Kadanga
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Scions no longer requires a roll.

Same restrictions as nighthaunt: 1 unit in reserve for each unit on the table. If they dont come into play before turn 5 (or 4?) they are counted as slain.

All battalions changed significantly.

CP changes: +1 attack, +1 bravery aura for all ORDER within 18", no longer HAS to be placed in reserve

Edited by PJetski

1 minute ago, PJetski said:

Lord Ordinator: +1 attack, new weapon option, command ability changed - now gives Battleshock immunity within 18"

Heraldor: Blast only effects enemy units within 3" of terrain piece. Buff requires wholly within 12"

Well that command ability is lame. At least it doesn't require him to be the general....

Hailstorm Battery Battalion:

1 Lord-Ordinator, 1 unit of Castigators, 1 Celestar Ballista

If the unit of Castigators wounds an enemy unit in shooting, the ballista gets to reroll hits against that unit.

Going by MWG's review, don't expect battalions to do anywhere near the same thing as they did before. Hammerstrike Force doesn't have the alternate deployment or the supercharge ability and instead got a new ability that lets you choose a unit of PALADINS wholly within 9" and give them +1 to wound (I believe). 

Vanguard Wing also lost the Liberator slingshot ability.

Edited by mystycalchemy
Generic Battalion Info
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, mystycalchemy said:

Hailstorm Battery Battalion:

1 Lord-Ordinator, 1 unit of Castigators, 1 Celestar Ballista

If the unit of Castigators wounds an enemy unit in shooting, the ballista gets to reroll hits against that unit.

That's not... terrible. Ordinator is in no way worth 140 without the extra shot tho, unless you're already at 4 Ballistas and are a crazy person. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Requizen said:

That's not... terrible. Ordinator is in no way worth 140 without the extra shot tho, unless you're already at 4 Ballistas and are a crazy person. 

Yeah, if he still had the double shooting command ability (especially if they removed the general restriction like they did with the Celestant in the battletome), 140 would be a lot more fair. Without it.... oof. The Astral Grandhammer (new model) sounds like it's just a Retributor's hammer. -1 rend, 2 damage, can do mortal wounds. At least that's a better choice than the 5 (now 6) attacks, 4+/4+/-/1 with potential for d3 mortal wounds.

Speaking of the Celestant on Foot, his command ability can now ONLY be used if the Celestant is within 3" of an enemy unit, and affects SCE units wholly within 12". Thats.... worse.

Edited by mystycalchemy
Ordinator info.
  • Sad 1

Right now I'm at a weird point at which I don't know if I should get Soul Wars or wait for the battletome and buy units separately.

Sequitors are at an odd number, multipart Evocators look a lot better, Castigators are pretty meh (and have the ETB kit anyway) and I don't need the Lord Arcanum (I will wait for the Tauralon). Only things I really need are the Incantor and the Balista.

Damn GW! This box is a trap!

16 minutes ago, DanielFM said:

Right now I'm at a weird point at which I don't know if I should get Soul Wars or wait for the battletome and buy units separately.

Sequitors are at an odd number, multipart Evocators look a lot better, Castigators are pretty meh (and have the ETB kit anyway) and I don't need the Lord Arcanum (I will wait for the Tauralon). Only things I really need are the Incantor and the Balista.

Damn GW! This box is a trap!

Same dilemma I share. I think if I do get into Stormcast, I'll grab them separately for the customization and completeness.

2 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

Can you make your one stormhost and get that ability? Or do you only get the 2 abilitys if you choose a stormhost.

what do you guy think are the best stormhosts?

What abilities are you talking about? The two stormhosts we've seen have 4 abilities technically. The passive, Command Trait, Command Ability, and Artefact.