AoS 2 - Idoneth Deepkin Discussion

Chris Tomlin

10 hours ago, Gwill_of_the_Woods said:

Quick question and reflection:

I have been playing Meeting Engagements (before lockdown), and usually stay around the 1000-1250pt mark.

I play Deepkin (Dhomhain - I have always loved the Realm of Beasts) and also Fyre Slayers.

I noticed that the Fyreslayers were really able to get on to an objective and hold it, whereas with the IDK I felt that my strategy was to aggressively take objectives then retreat and retake if needed.

Is this something that you also experience, or do you use specific units for holding objectives?

With the exception perhaps of Ishlaen Guard Idoneth do not have a traditional anvil unit, so yes you play to kill the opponent so you can score the objectives.. You'll never have enough models to flood the objectives and as for Ishlaen Guard while they are very sturdy they are few models so they can lose objectives easily due to lack of numbers..

I’m mixed about this. On the one hand, I’m really excited for revised warscrolls, new battalions and mount traits etc. It all sounds great!

On the other hand seems like we will need to purchase 2 books to be able to use it all? Tho I suppose the warscrolls will be updated on the app so can maybe just get the deepkin book? Wait n see I guess.

EDIT - actually reading through the details again, looks like it will all be included in the Morathi book. What threw me was the description of the Bloodsurf Hunt, saying "combine this set with the rules found in Broken Realms:Morathi....."

So, it looks like there will be a set (which if the picture below is what's included) featuring a king and 2 allopexes.

Edited by GrimDork

On 10/21/2020 at 9:24 AM, testypickle99 said:

Hi I'm new to Idoneth Deepkin and have thought up this list below

Enclave Feutan

Volturnos general 270

Soulscryer 130 liliandras last lament

3 Ishlaen 140

3 Ishlaen 140

9 Morsarr 510

2 Allopexes 200

2 Allopexes 200

Leviadon 310

Akhelian Corps 100

Total points 2000

I’m doing this exact list, with the exception of Dhom-Hain :)  also new to IDK, so not sure if Dhom-Hain or Feutan will be better for my local meta yet. 

7 hours ago, DocKeule said:

That wouldn't be much of a battalion. 

Allopex are getting new scrolls.  Battalions have also changed a ton since the IDK book came out.  Let’s be honest the new scrolls for IDK are a sigh of relief, points could not fix those units that have new scrolls coming.  

I am kind of hopeful on the new scrolls especially for the Leviadon and the Eidalons which I would love to field more often. 

But a battallion that contains two kinds of units and only up to three models? 🤷‍♂️

Otherwise I agree and would even go a step further. I think the Deepkin need a complete overhaul. Lets hope the three new warscrolls go in the right direction.

ye lets see.. maybe those can be taken as two units of allopex.. what I find a bit strange is the set-up of a box with a King in it, presumably most IDK players already own one of those and you wouldnt want 2... so just a shark box would kinda make more sense. Personally not complaining though as im kinda new to the army and already had one shark and the king on my wish list so this fits perfectly :)

Also I'll take it as a good sign that neither turtle or eidolos got point decreases in the GHB so presumably they are indeed upping the power level of those scrolls to more fit what that amount of points can buy these days.. fingers crossed :)

59 minutes ago, woolf said:

ye lets see.. maybe those can be taken as two units of allopex..

I would guess so and probably 2-? One unit can contain up to four sharks so yes this battalion could get bigger, 

1 hour ago, woolf said:

what I find a bit strange is the set-up of a box with a King in it, presumably most IDK players already own one of those and you wouldnt want 2... so just a shark box would kinda make more sense.

The king is on the front cover and it says three models so I think he will be in. Also somewhere there was a leak that all boxes apart from the SCE will be 90 $ and that would be too expensive for only two sharks. 

As fas as the second king goes...GW would want you to have Volturnos and a generic king 😉

I just hope we don't go from eel-meta to shark-meta.

28 minutes ago, DocKeule said:

I would guess so and probably 2-? One unit can contain up to four sharks so yes this battalion could get bigger, 

The king is on the front cover and it says three models so I think he will be in. Also somewhere there was a leak that all boxes apart from the SCE will be 90 $ and that would be too expensive for only two sharks. 

As fas as the second king goes...GW would want you to have Volturnos and a generic king 😉

I just hope we don't go from eel-meta to shark-meta.

yes I agree with you, king is most def in there, my point was just that a shark box would have made more sense (eg 4 sharks or smth) guess the battalion is probably just exactly what is in the box, ie king +2 sharks...

to your point on shark meta that is actually not far fetched, thing that makes eels oppressive seems to me more about the allegiance abilities and king buff... so it kinda comes down to points efficiency and if sharks get better it migth swing that way.. but maybe they make them beefier while reducing their move with the scroll re-write or something so let's see. I'm looking forward though! not much of a fan of any type of spam lists and I'm playing in group of friends setting only so not overly concerned :)

also have been playing some meeting engagement and army comp rules there disqualifies spamming so in that context having more viable units works out great

38 minutes ago, Elves are the best said:

New battalion makes allopexes a bit better but gives loads of protection to the akhelian king.

unless the list of units fitting in the battalion is formulated differently than what we have seen in the article today, the protection could also cover Volturnos (since it's linked to the keyword)

8 minutes ago, Drazhoath said:

Next week I will play against an eternal conflag shooting heavy list. Do you think I have a chance with a Ishlaen heavy list (fast, ignore rend)?

You basically get to choose what they shoot at.  I havent played against that list but you should have a chance at least, just make sure you screen your important pieces with the Ishlaen.

• Thanks 1

I was really hoping for the battalion to buff our Namarti in some way to make them more playable in comp settings as well and not feel like a tax. Still holding out hope for the new warscrolls. Essentially, we have really strong units in Eels and Volty but everything else needs to be buffed and playstyles need changing as more options are needed. I love Deepkin and the Lore but they are sitting in storage while I play with my KO at this time. I just got sick of Eel spam and wait for High Tide. I know you can play narrative and fluffy casual games without this but having options that make your army feel different is nice and being able to enjoy casual and competitive is important to me personally. I play Harlequins in 40k and the small unit count can just do so much while Deepkin after enough games just feel a little stale. Fingers crossed though :p. I don't like being a negative neckbeard but IDK need some changes; the Warhammer Weekly episode dedicated to them was great if anyone is interested.