AoS 2 - Idoneth Deepkin Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Hello, could someone help me choose a list that will do better at the tournament?

Allegiance: Idoneth Deepkin
- Enclave: Fuethan
Isharann Tidecaster (100)
- General
- Command Trait: Born From Agony
- Artefact: Cloud of Midnight
- Lore of the Deeps: Arcane Corrasion
Isharann Soulscryer (130)
10 x Namarti Thralls (130)
5 x Khinerai Heartrenders (90)
6 x Akhelian Morrsarr Guard (340)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 127

- Enclave: Fuethan
Mortal Realm: Aqshy
- General
- Command Trait: Born From Agony
Eidolon of Mathlann, Aspect of the Storm (360)
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 124

Hey guys, I am a Sylvaneth player and have decided to expand my allied units of Idoneth into a full blown army. But I have some dumb questions to ask. Appreciate any help in advance!

1) How do you guys deploy your Shipwrecks? I have been splitting them up, but outside of first turn they never seem to be in range of anything. Is it better to deploy it as one giant piece as a means to disrupt movement?

2) Which Eidolon do you prefer? I am leaning towards the Sea, but I worry that most of his strength lies in the primary spell. The Storm seems a bit more reliable and consistent, especially with all the rerolls. 

3) Is the Tidecaster worth it? I really like the spell but she seems a bit pricey for one cast. Especially now that Alloplex's are the same cost. 

4) Do the Volturnos/King command ability, and the Enclave buffs affect  mounts? 

5) What items do you prefer on your characters? Specifically Kings and Eidolons? 

10 hours ago, Landohammer said:

Hey guys, I am a Sylvaneth player and have decided to expand my allied units of Idoneth into a full blown army. But I have some dumb questions to ask. Appreciate any help in advance!

1) How do you guys deploy your Shipwrecks? I have been splitting them up, but outside of first turn they never seem to be in range of anything. Is it better to deploy it as one giant piece as a means to disrupt movement?

2) Which Eidolon do you prefer? I am leaning towards the Sea, but I worry that most of his strength lies in the primary spell. The Storm seems a bit more reliable and consistent, especially with all the rerolls. 

3) Is the Tidecaster worth it? I really like the spell but she seems a bit pricey for one cast. Especially now that Alloplex's are the same cost. 

4) Do the Volturnos/King command ability, and the Enclave buffs affect  mounts? 

5) What items do you prefer on your characters? Specifically Kings and Eidolons? 

Hi Lando, 

Welcome!  

Heres a few answers for you: 

1. It really depends on the Battleplan and your opponents army.  I’ve used it as one big piece to zone out Wyldwoods against Sylvaneth, and have also broken it in two.  I try to use one offensively and one defenseively.  It’s all about placement, if you use them wrong they’ll be unused throughout the game.  

2. The Sea Aspect is hard to justify at its current point cost.  The Storm aspect is closer, but still a big point sink.  For competitive builds where you are playing to win, I don’t think they are there yet.  

3.  In my current tournament list I have a Tidecaster.  The unbind is always good to have and without her I’d only have two heroes for a battleplan like Places of Arcane Power.  I give mine Steed of Tides, but mostly use her to cast Mystic Shield on my Ishlaen Guard.  3+ Save, Etheral, RR1’s is an amazing screen unit that is hard to put down on Turn 1 souring Low Tide.  I actually have 2-3 Allopex in my tournament list with her.  

4. Yes, Supreme Lord of Tides does effect your mounts Melee attacks as well.  You can pump this ability.  If you get to Turn 3 , spend your command points and buff up as much as possible.  

5.  Volturnos can’t get an Artefact because he’s a unique character.   I used to give my Akhelian King Ethereal Amulet when I ran him.  I don’t like running named characters, but if you are in a competitive environment, bring Volturnos over the King.  The best Artefact in the Deepkin book is hands

down Cloud of Midnight.  That goes on your Soulscryer or Storm Eidolon if he gets into a bad combat.  You can shut down an entire shooting phase against KO, Skaven, CoS etc etc. 

Every unit has a special place in my heart.  But right now Morrsarr are the only Warscroll that do the heavy lifting.  If you want to run an Eidolon, do it.  It’s an amazing model.  

Hope that answered your questions!

• Thanks 2

I have a big tournament coming up and got some practice games in.  I’m playing my variation of the MSU Morrsarr list and it performed reall well.  Here’s a short right up for those who are interested.  

Game 1 - Border War vs STD with Archaon.   He gave me top of Turn 1 so I inched up my Ishlaen Guard on one side and Allopex to cap the mid objectives on both side.   Moves Archaon up on the side of the Ishlaen Guard to charge.  He charges with Archaon and smashes the unit. On the other mid objective three Varanguard charge in and smash my Allopex up.  He uses Dark Prophecy and gets Turn 2 priority.  Charges Archaon in to my one big unit of Morrsarr and kills a couple, he sunk some attacks into my Tidecaster too and exploded her.  His other Varanguard fail their charge on Archaons side.  More Allopex die on the opposite flank.  I’m pretty boxed in, but I have a lot of Morrsarr ready to drop in from my Soulscryer in my Turn 2.  I get my turn and swarm Archaon, after all the zapping from the top of T2 he goes down.  The Dhom-Hain trait of RR failed wounds helped seal the deal killing Archaon.  I only get 1 VP here and then Dark Prophecy gives him priority again.  He retreats his Varanguard to the mid objectives to mitigate High Tide.  I get my turn and hunt his Varanguard down, aiming to go get his objective and he transports a big blob of 20 Chaos Warriors to my home objective in his Turn.  I suicided the last man of one of my Morrsarr to pin his warriors in place to deny him the points.  I kill off his Varanguard and Sayl and Nightmaw on his home objective and beat him by a lot of VP after controlling everything except my home objective for Turn 4 and 5.  It was a really good game.  

Game 2 - Knife to the Heart vs GSG Squigs.  I outdropped and gave him priority.   He came at my front line and got tangled up in my Allopex with a Mangler and Bounderz.  I was worried about him Hand of Gork’ing a blob of 20 grots so all my screens were in place in my backfield.  I counter charged and blew up the first Mangler but whiffed on the Bounder with my Allopex.  He gets T2 priority and brings another Mangler and unit of Bounderz into my Allopexes on my horizontal edge.  My screens hold, I get my Turn and counter charge the southern side and kill another Mangler. I think I got priority and brought on my Soulscryer with Morrsarr and exploded his Fungoid Cave Shaman, the only caster he had for Hand of Gork.  My one big Morrsarr charge and kill his Colossal Squig and being his Loonboss on Mangler to his worst bracket.  At this point it’s pretty much over, but his army melted because they had the monster keyword, and my Dhom-Hain just exploded his heavy hitters.   

Im really liking my build and Volturnos’ CA on T3 really turned the tide for me against STD.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Rhetoric said:

Hi Lando, 

Welcome!  

Heres a few answers for you: 

1. It really depends on the Battleplan and your opponents army.  I’ve used it as one big piece to zone out Wyldwoods against Sylvaneth, and have also broken it in two.  I try to use one offensively and one defenseively.  It’s all about placement, if you use them wrong they’ll be unused throughout the game.  

2. The Sea Aspect is hard to justify at its current point cost.  The Storm aspect is closer, but still a big point sink.  For competitive builds where you are playing to win, I don’t think they are there yet.  

3.  In my current tournament list I have a Tidecaster.  The unbind is always good to have and without her I’d only have two heroes for a battleplan like Places of Arcane Power.  I give mine Steed of Tides, but mostly use her to cast Mystic Shield on my Ishlaen Guard.  3+ Save, Etheral, RR1’s is an amazing screen unit that is hard to put down on Turn 1 souring Low Tide.  I actually have 2-3 Allopex in my tournament list with her.  

4. Yes, Supreme Lord of Tides does effect your mounts Melee attacks as well.  You can pump this ability.  If you get to Turn 3 , spend your command points and buff up as much as possible.  

5.  Volturnos can’t get an Artefact because he’s a unique character.   I used to give my Akhelian King Ethereal Amulet when I ran him.  I don’t like running named characters, but if you are in a competitive environment, bring Volturnos over the King.  The best Artefact in the Deepkin book is hands

down Cloud of Midnight.  That goes on your Soulscryer or Storm Eidolon if he gets into a bad combat.  You can shut down an entire shooting phase against KO, Skaven, CoS etc etc. 

Every unit has a special place in my heart.  But right now Morrsarr are the only Warscroll that do the heavy lifting.  If you want to run an Eidolon, do it.  It’s an amazing model.  

Hope that answered your questions!

1-Maybe I just expected too much out of the ship lol. I have also  tried to split my ships up into separate drops but was wondering if just dumping the whole thing in the center of the board might be wiser. Terrain is less of an issue for an all-flying army.

2-I'm not trying to make a super competitive list but I do go to tournaments.  So maybe I will leave the Eidolons at home for now and just use those points for 6 Kurnoth Hunters. 

3- Good point. If I leave the Eidolons out then I will definitely need a second character. I messed around a bit with Arcane Corrosion and it was pretty solid. Dropping 3-4 mortals on Evocators on turn 1 and 2 really made a difference. But then she has failed all of her casts ever since lol

4- Cool

5- Ok wow. Cloud of Midnight it is then. Tzeentch is dominating my meta so it seems like a pretty good counter. 

Thanks for all the help! I have a tourney at the end of the month so I am hoping to have 2k painted by then.

The other day the stirling pound fell to 1.07 euros. I took the opportunity to get myself a start collecting idoneth and some pots of paint.
I don't know why, but since they announced the Lumineths visuals (which I find average except for Eltharion), I've been furious to start an army of Idoneth, I'll probably make a warband for Warcry to start with.

And then i'll add sharks, lots of sharks

• Like 1

So, with the whole hullabaloo going on the with the pandemic and the consequential quarantining, I've decided to dive back into expanding my Deepkin army into something more respectable, or at least, something I can bring to tournaments. I've already gotten the Leviadon, the Reavers, the King, Soulscryer, render and Tidecaster, as well as a Startcollecting and a Allopex. I think this is a good core army so far, and this list is an attempt to bring a more balanced army, rather then going all out with spamming Eels or Namarti.

The general idea is to make a very flexible and diverse army, that can pull off many different ways of fighting and warfare, rather then pigeon-holing myself into a more "tilted" list.  I'm also trying to avoid getting too many eels, since holy hell, they are abysmal models to put together. Well, more specifically, they are god awful when trying to get them to stick to that useless little nub.

Anyways, there's a lot of tricks you can pull with this list, such as deep striking the Leviathon and Ishalen into a flank in order to hold it for the game, using the Tidecaster as a back-field artillery piece, running the horde of thralls up the board with the Soulrender, or having the Reavers and Ishalen run up the board in order to run interference while my Morsarr and Alloplex get into position for some brutal beat downs. 

Spoiler

- Enclave: Dhom-Hain

Leaders
Volturnos, High King of the Deep (280)
- General
Isharann Soulrender (80)
- Artefact: Lliandra's Last Lament

Battleline
3 x Akhelian Morrsarr Guard (170)
3 x Akhelian Ishlaen Guard (140)
30 x Namarti Thralls (360)

Units
2 x Akhelian Allopexes (200)
- Retarius Net Launcher
10 x Namarti Reavers (130)

Behemoths
Akhelian Leviadon (310)

Battalions
Akhelian Corps (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 119

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

I am still slowly working on my Slaves to Darkness before I start my Idoneth Battleforce in earnest. However, social distancing will have me starting on my Idoneth earlier than anticipated. But I was wondering if anyone had some good references for sea creatures that they use to inspire their painting?

I was also wondering if the points drop on the Allopex  has improved their viability. I plan on running a shark no matter what but I am curious if I should just stick with one or run them both?

Edited by Neverchosen

1 is just enough, Leviadon and Shark could be playable in Akhelian corps as competitive list ( it can go 4-1, 3-2 at big events). 

Mortal Realm: Ulgu
Volturnos, High King of the Deep (280)
- General
1 x Akhelian Allopexes (100)
- Razorshell Harpoon
Akhelian Leviadon (310)
Akhelian Corps (100)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Wounds: 109

• Thanks 1

Hey guys here is my current list. I've been playing some pretty heavy range battles against local players. There's some khadron overlords lists at the shop i play in. I have one main question tho regarding the eels. In past games Morsarrs were the absolute stars of my army. 

Help me out with grand eel knowledge!! I now wish to run at least one unit of 3 defensive eels (Ishlaen). So I was thinking about going 9 morsarrs, 6 morsarrs and one group of 3 ishalean. Should I -3 ishlaen and run one group of 6 and one group of 9 morsarr? or keep it two groups of 6 morsarr and two groups of 3 ishalean?  Any insight on eel battlelines is appreciated, even though I know in the end it's my choice. :) I wish to use the ishlaen as screens with forgotten nightmares and help my army survive the first turns of range onslaught, along with cloud of midnight and palisades. 

In terms of endless spells I have found palisades to be good to help with flanking with a soulscryer deepstrike, and in the first turn to block out some range attacks (of course cloud of midnight) if I just need some bit of mortal wounds the swords helps. It doesn't define games tho. At 40 points for the spells, Shackles is also a really good choice, but the flexibility of having two spells rather then one is what I prefer. Malestorm to help with mage heavy lists. (theres also a serpahon guy locally but thankfully he doesnt run lord kroak haha)

Lastly thralls are underestimated and Ive decided its best to run them for objectives, and generally just to have at least one group of non Calvary to round off the list. I have experimented with allies in this spot but I like the thralls. (heartrenders tho are just good). 

Allegiance: Deepkin nautilar/dhom-hain

LEADERS

Volturnos, High King of the Deep (280)

Eidolon of Mathlann, Aspect of the Storm (360)

Isharann Soulscryer (130)

Isharann Tidecaster (100) (Cloud of midnight/kraken. tooth)

UNITS

6 x Akhelian Morrsarr Guard (340)

6 x Akhelian Morrsarr Guard (340)

3 x Akhelian Ishlaen Guard (140)

3 x Akhelian Ishlaen Guard (140)

10 x Namarti Thralls (130)

ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS

Prismatic Palisade (30)/ Silver swords Malevolent Maelstrom (10) TOTAL: 2000/2000

I am thinking that building an Akhelian Corps will make a solid start to an army, and then I can always expand with more eels later on if I want the list to be more competitive.  Thinking something like this:

Mortal Realm: Ghur
Akhelian King (240)
- General
- Bladed Polearm
- Command Trait: Lord of Storm and Sea
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm
Isharann Soulrender (80)
- Razorshell Harpoon
Akhelian Leviadon (310)
Akhelian Corps (100)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Wounds: 117

Would that be a good starting point to a Deepkin army?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wayniac said:

I am thinking that building an Akhelian Corps will make a solid start to an army, and then I can always expand with more eels later on if I want the list to be more competitive.  Thinking something like this:

Akhelian King (240)
- General
- Bladed Polearm
Isharann Soulrender (80)
- Razorshell Harpoon
Akhelian Leviadon (310)
Akhelian Corps (100)

That looks like a pretty good start, yea! The corps really boosts the damage of the sharks and turtle, and the guard looks like they could do work. My only critique is to maybe switch out the tide caster for a soulscryer in order to outflank some eels and guarantee a first strike.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2020 at 4:47 PM, wayniac said:

Akhelian King (240)
- General
- Bladed Polearm
Isharann Soulrender (80)
- Razorshell Harpoon
Akhelian Leviadon (310)
Akhelian Corps (100)

Split one six of Morssar into 2x3 

Cut Tidecaster and Soulrender for Soulscryer and it would be pretty decent list even competitive wise. 

On 4/5/2020 at 4:47 PM, wayniac said:

Akhelian King (240)
- General
- Bladed Polearm
Isharann Soulrender (80)
- Razorshell Harpoon
Akhelian Leviadon (310)
Akhelian Corps (100)

Split one six of Morssar into 2x3 

Cut Tidecaster and Soulrender for Soulscryer and it would be pretty decent list even competitive wise. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I recently started Idoneth Deepkin and I'm wondering if someone could give me some advice on what I should get next.

So far I have

Akhelian King

Soulrender

Thralls x 20

Morsarr guard x3

Ishlaen Guard x6

I don't play in a competitive environment so I'm open to anything. This is about 1200 points and I'm looking to get up to 2000points.

All suggestions and tips welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just musing on a few things whilst lockdown continues. One thing that came to mind was it would be cool to have a 3 kings list Volt and two regular. The army would fog and block for the 3 kings then on high tide to come out and sweep everyone away. Obviously though kings are not worth 240 unless they’re the general. This is particularly true with Deepkin but does apply to a few units in other armies. Ideally they would have two points values for units that have general only rules. 

In the the long term it may not matter as I guess with the next Deepkin book the general only restrictions will be removed (in line with more recent books where general only restrictions appear to be on special characters). 

Hey y'all, I have an interesting little problem for you.

A while back I traded armies for an Idoneth army purely because they looked a treat to paint, and I find out that the shape of what I've got is basically...everything but what people consider to be the two most competitive units that show up in 99% of tournament-winning Idoneth lists. I ended up with a spare sprue of Namarti Thralls somehow, so I converted myself a couple of each footslogging Independent Character. What I've got in total is

-2 Leviadons

-3 Allopexes

-6 Ishlaen Eels

-30 Thralls

-10 Reavers

-2 Tidecasters

-2 Soulrenders

-2 Soulscryers

-1 Lotann

And I actually have 20 more thralls NIB that I was thinking of trading on rather than building, since what I have is well over 2k and I don't anticipate wanting to paint them. 

I got the eels assembled and without the bits to turn them into Morsarr, and it didn't seem like a single unit of 6 was likely to lack the punch needed to make them worthwhile anyway, while a single unit of Ishlaen eels might be helpful to tank against ranged-heavy opponents.

Is it possible to make a decent Idoneth list with no princes or morsarrs, or is it just going to be a bunch of pretty models to paint and maybe they'll be useful next edition? Also, is there any reason to ever run 2 turtles in a list?

15 minutes ago, MrSc0tty said:

Hey y'all, I have an interesting little problem for you.

A while back I traded armies for an Idoneth army purely because they looked a treat to paint, and I find out that the shape of what I've got is basically...everything but what people consider to be the two most competitive units that show up in 99% of tournament-winning Idoneth lists. I ended up with a spare sprue of Namarti Thralls somehow, so I converted myself a couple of each footslogging Independent Character. What I've got in total is

-2 Leviadons

-3 Allopexes

-6 Ishlaen Eels

-30 Thralls

-10 Reavers

-2 Tidecasters

-2 Soulrenders

-2 Soulscryers

-1 Lotann

And I actually have 20 more thralls NIB that I was thinking of trading on rather than building, since what I have is well over 2k and I don't anticipate wanting to paint them. 

I got the eels assembled and without the bits to turn them into Morsarr, and it didn't seem like a single unit of 6 was likely to lack the punch needed to make them worthwhile anyway, while a single unit of Ishlaen eels might be helpful to tank against ranged-heavy opponents.

Is it possible to make a decent Idoneth list with no princes or morsarrs, or is it just going to be a bunch of pretty models to paint and maybe they'll be useful next edition? Also, is there any reason to ever run 2 turtles in a list?

Your stuff is ok and although lacking spear eels isn’t ideal, kings / Volt are actually normally seen as substandard compared to reverse tide tidecaster lists (although I like defensive king lists). 

Also shield eels are ideal in skirmish units of 3 they blow up chaff, are hard to shift unless a serious unit hits them and messes with opposing shooting.  

2 turtles isn’t really going to be worth it but never know what a new book may change.

With what you have I would run something like the attached. 

16376177-28F3-46FC-8CBC-10DE219FA82A.jpeg