AoS 2 - Idoneth Deepkin Discussion

Chris Tomlin

I developed a nifty online tool last week that might help you guys with your battles in the future. As a Seraphon player, I was always stressed that I was forgetting to do things in the right phase.

So, I developed AoS Reminders. It has Seraphon, Gloomspite Gitz, Sylvaneth, and most importantly, Idoneth Deepkin!!!!

Check it out here -> https://daviseford.com/aos-reminders/

Basically, you add your units, battalions, command traits, realmscape features, and artifacts, and you will get an ordered list of what abilities to use during which phase. I know how many rules you guys have to remember ;)

I hope this cheat sheet helps you be more efficient (and win more battles!)

Please give it a whirl and let me know if you enjoy it! I would LOVE some feedback and critiques! If you notice that a rule is wrong, please either tell me here or post it as an issue here

ApNLWz9.png

P.S. it is print-friendly! When you hit print, all of the fancy UI elements are stripped out and you get a list like so:

KHPfhhl.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

So I finally played 2 of the  idoneth battletome battle plans and I had a blast, though I have to say it seem very one sided, especially at 1000 points. Incoming tide was a very unique idea for having a force try to stop you, and finding some way to table or run off the other side of the map was fairly fun. The harvest was probably my favorite one though, and can really have some fun narrative play of trying to capture the survivors and the like.

It was very fun, but I basically could get a turn 1 charge off and since I went first... yea. It hurt the stormcast s in played against a lot.

I've made about 5 lists now and not one am I happy with in any shape or form, I feel like I'm being punished for trying to make a list that doesn't includ e Eels.

We really need a GHB fix to allow us to use every model, else it looks like my Idoneth are going to in their box.

I planned to purchase this all next month, however I may just wait and jump over to 40k whilst GHB 2019 comes out.

Rant over! 🤪😭

25 minutes ago, j0lt said:

I've made about 5 lists now and not one am I happy with in any shape or form, I feel like I'm being punished for trying to make a list that doesn't includ e Eels.

We really need a GHB fix to allow us to use every model, else it looks like my Idoneth are going to in their box.

I planned to purchase this all next month, however I may just wait and jump over to 40k whilst GHB 2019 comes out.

Rant over! 🤪😭

Would you like to share any? Maybe we could help?

20 minutes ago, Acid_Nine said:

Would you like to share any? Maybe we could help?

Here is the list I'm most happy with, I haven't quite decided if I'd drop the AoSea for a turtle since the model is so cool and specifically what loadouts I should go for on characters, the list is effectively helping me to decide what to buy.

Aspect of Sea

Isharann Soulscryer

Volturnos

2 x 3 Morsarr

2 x 3 Morsarr

30 x 1 Thralls

1820 so far, I don't hate this list as much as the others because I literally don't want to be working on more than 15 Eels at the absolute most.

Thoughts would be appreciated 🙂

11 minutes ago, j0lt said:

Here is the list I'm most happy with, I haven't quite decided if I'd drop the AoSea for a turtle since the model is so cool and specifically what loadouts I should go for on characters, the list is effectively helping me to decide what to buy.

Aspect of Sea

Isharann Soulscryer

Volturnos

2 x 3 Morsarr

2 x 3 Morsarr

30 x 1 Thralls

1820 so far, I don't hate this list as much as the others because I literally don't want to be working on more than 15 Eels at the absolute most.

First major question is how do you like to play/ what do you want to get out of the list?    However I will try to give some general points from my own experience:

30 thralls are harder to manage in game than you’d think.  1” range and 32mm bases make most of them irrelevant in any given fight.  I’d go 1 x 20, 1 x 10 if you wanted to keep the same total.   

Personally I prefer the Storm to the Sea.  The Storm is an incredibly mobile reliable hitter whilst the Sea lacks the damage output and struggles to even deliver on the magic side against any of the many magic heavy armies. 

If you want to avoid Morrsarr then try a combo of Sharks (best looking model of the range IMO) and Ishlaen.  They can both tank harder and the sharks give you the rend you would otherwise miss.

Also consider Reavers instead of Thralls. Stats wise Thralls seem an easy choice but I typically find I get one combat out of them and then they pretty much die and I’d just better hope that combat was during high tide.  Reavers are more mobile and add pressure outside of combat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, j0lt said:

Aspect of Sea

Isharann Soulscryer

Volturnos

2 x 3 Morsarr

2 x 3 Morsarr

30 x 1 Thralls

I agree with aelven supremacy's experience my favorite "fun" list is akhelian corp with volturnos and a unit of 3 sharks. Ive tried working AoSea in so many lists since ive been running only idoneth since December and he just hasn't impressed nearly as much as AoStorm. Now my current "competitive" list that isnt completly eels is; 

(General) Akhelian king, born from agony, cloud of midnight

Isharann soulscryer

Isharann soulscryer

Isharann tidecaster

12x morrsarr guard

3x Ishlaen guard

10x thralls

20x thralls

5x khinari heartrenders

20x eternal guard

Prismatic palisade

A few notes im still debating switching out some thralls for reavers,  endless spell is still a work in progress, and debating changing the king with volturnos.

So far ive just played a game against seraphon and Legion of Nagash. In the seraphon game the morrsarr chased down the teleporting slann. The 20 thralls crumpled against his big dino and unit of their cavalry, 10 thralls stomped his other big Dino that teleported into the back board. In the Nagash game morrsarr killed 50 grimghast reapers and Nagash, both groups of thralls crumpled.

On 5/25/2019 at 6:57 PM, daviseford said:

I developed a nifty online tool last week that might help you guys with your battles in the future. As a Seraphon player, I was always stressed that I was forgetting to do things in the right phase.

So, I developed AoS Reminders. It has Seraphon, Gloomspite Gitz, Sylvaneth, and most importantly, Idoneth Deepkin!!!!

Check it out here -> https://daviseford.com/aos-reminders/

Basically, you add your units, battalions, command traits, realmscape features, and artifacts, and you will get an ordered list of what abilities to use during which phase. I know how many rules you guys have to remember ;)

I hope this cheat sheet helps you be more efficient (and win more battles!)

Please give it a whirl and let me know if you enjoy it! I would LOVE some feedback and critiques! If you notice that a rule is wrong, please either tell me here or post it as an issue here

ApNLWz9.png

P.S. it is print-friendly! When you hit print, all of the fancy UI elements are stripped out and you get a list like so:

KHPfhhl.png

I heavily reserched after that friday night... that's amazing and annoying at the same time. 

Anyway. Thanks. a. lot. 

Hi All!

So I’m a recent convert to Idoneth, I jumped into the army by grabbing the Battleforce and Start Collecting sets. My goal is to build up and paint to 2k and use this as my competitive army for next year, hoping to go to CanCon at the start of 2020. This is my first foray into competitive AoS and I’m pretty excited for it.

I’ve attached what I have so far, my goal is to try to keep it to 12-15 eels, 9 Morsarr and 3-6 Ishlaen, so these are on my shopping list, as well as a Volturnos and maybe an Eidolon of the Storm but I’m 50/50 on the Eidolon. I’ll likely swap out the Soulrender for a Soulscryer as well. All of this could change with the GHB but that’s where I’m at right now. 

Basically I’d like to get some opinions on some interesting synergies I should start off with while I learn the army. Which enclaves/hero’s/units work well together and which units I should be looking at to build out my army?

Idoneth.pdf

Edited by Kelsicle

10 minutes ago, Joseph Mackay said:

what do you all expect to happen in the GHB19?

I think most are expecting a points increase for Morrsarr (up to 180-200) and then hoping for points decreases elsewhere (especially for the Eidolons (who really should be 100 points cheaper but more likely to get a much smaller drop) hopefully for sharks, turtles, reavers)

Soulscryer may be up for a points increase too though hopefully a Morrsarr points increase is considered enough 

Edited by Aelven supremacy

1 hour ago, Aelven supremacy said:

I think most are expecting a points increase for Morrsarr (up to 180-200) and then hoping for points decreases elsewhere (especially for the Eidolons (who really should be 100 points cheaper but more likely to get a much smaller drop) hopefully for sharks, turtles, reavers)

Soulscryer may be up for a points increase too though hopefully a Morrsarr points increase is considered enough 

pretty much this. the biggest thing that's stopping me from buying more eels is seeing if the morrsarr will be raised in points to around 200. if so, then I don't know what i'm going to do with my list...

also want to see if the archmage gets raised in points.

2 hours ago, Joseph Mackay said:

what do you all expect to happen in the GHB19?

My hope is some points changes:

Morsarr-probably up to 180

Allopex- should drop, but even at 120 would they really be better than eels at 140-180?  At 100 points I would load up on them but expect they will be 120 and still rarely seen

Leviadon- same as Allopex needs a drop but probably won't drop enough to really be palatable, my guess is 380 down to 340

Eidolons- these are my absolute favorite models and in my mind should be 300-340 however that is a pretty big drop and I don't know if GW has ever lowered something that drastically before, so I expect the same 20-40 point drop putting them in the 360-400 range and still rarely seen

Thralls- seem ok at 140 points with the discount for max unit size I guess

Reavers- should go down 20 to 120 points

Lotann- not sure points are going to help this lovely chap, needs a scroll rework because i have found him to be pretty terrible.

My hope is that the Eidolons see an aggressive points drop as they seem like they could be a lynch pin for the whole army with their passive buffs to nearby units and abilities.  My fear is that while eels go up a bit other things only see a modest 20 point drop leaving the army builds pretty much stuck in the same rut.  As ever, I remain cautiously optimistic :) 

• Like 3

Right so I’m wanting to do a cavalry army and that leads me to look at Deepkin again (I stopped working on the army due to how op the eels+volturnos combo is)

so I want to exclusively stick to Akhelian units (with the exception of Tidecasters)

-is there a way to make an Akhelian King a wizard through artefacts or something?

-I want to use both types of eels, the king, sharks and turtle but I just can’t seem to fit everything in and make a list I like. I’ve run the turtle and sharks before and I don’t share the usual opinion of them being bad or overcosted, I found them to be quite good. Heroes are a problem as 2 kings takes away so much from the list but only one isn’t good enough 

38 minutes ago, Joseph Mackay said:

Right so I’m wanting to do a cavalry army and that leads me to look at Deepkin again (I stopped working on the army due to how op the eels+volturnos combo is)

so I want to exclusively stick to Akhelian units (with the exception of Tidecasters)

-is there a way to make an Akhelian King a wizard through artefacts or something?

-I want to use both types of eels, the king, sharks and turtle but I just can’t seem to fit everything in and make a list I like. I’ve run the turtle and sharks before and I don’t share the usual opinion of them being bad or overcosted, I found them to be quite good. Heroes are a problem as 2 kings takes away so much from the list but only one isn’t good enough 

I personally use an archmage as a mounted wizard to go along with my all eel army. it's pretty nice, and he can provide an extra ward save when you're out of ship range. he's about the same speed as eels too, and it's fairly easy to kitbash a single eel with an archmage.

I'm relatively new to AoS, but I used to be a long time High Elf player.  Looking to get back into the competitve scene, at least locally.  How does this look as an army that will be facing both Skaven and Flesh Eaters?  

++ **Pitched Battle** 2,000 (Order - Idoneth Deepkin) [2,000pts] ++

+ Leader +

Isharann Tidecaster [100pts]: 4. Pressure of the Deep

Isharann Tidecaster [100pts]: 1. Steed of Tides

Volturnos [280pts]: General - Akhelian

+ Battleline +

Akhelian Morrsarr Guard [480pts]: 3x 3 Morrsarr Guard, Akhelian Guard Command Group

Akhelian Morrsarr Guard [480pts]: 3x 3 Morrsarr Guard, Akhelian Guard Command Group

Namarti Thralls [140pts]: 10 Namarti Thralls

+ Other +

Akhelian Allopexes [140pts]: Akhelian Allopex, Retarius Net Launcher

Namarti Reavers [140pts]: 10 Namarti Reavers

Namarti Reavers [140pts]: 10 Namarti Reavers

+ Allegiance +

Allegiance
. Idoneth Deepkin: Forgotten Nightmares, Isharann Rituals, Tides of Death

+ Game Options +

Game Type: 2000 Points - Battlehost

+ Realm of Origin +

Realm of Origin: Origin: Hysh

++ Total: [2,000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

With the GHB19 in mind and the anticipated Morrsarr nerf what lists are people prepping?  I think the overall impact (assuming nerf to unviability of Morrsarr) would necessitate a shift from fuethan/ tidecaster/ Morrsarr to Volturnos attack spam (to get enough attacks through from non-rend models like Ishlaen and low attack rend models like Allopexes).  With that in mind I’m thinking of trialling something like the following:  

Dhom Hain

Volturnos (general)

Soulscryer (Liandra’s last lament)

Soulscryer

9 x Ishlaen

9 x Ishlaen

10 x Thralls

3 x Allopex 

Current points = 1880.  Assuming Ishlaen go up to 160 for 3 this still sits at 2000 points assuming no other adjustment.  If Thralls and Allopexes go down then hopefully they drop enough to allow an extra command point.  

Purpose of list is to survive until the turn 3 Volturnos smackdown whilst minimising command point spend.   To this point Liandras Last Lament is crucial, enabling battleshock surviveability for multiple units without requiring a command point (save all of them for turn 3).  Sharks with their shooting enable cagier turn 1 play and then, as per usual, you aim to go second in battle round 2 in the hopes of a priority roll battle round 2 into 3 to position.   With the abundance of decent unbinds I never find a tidecaster able to get any spells off so removed from list in favour of a second Soulscryer to ensure the right charges come off.  

Dhom Hain crucially offers the reroll wound rolls for the Akhelians against monsters, one of the few sources of wound rerolls available outside the Eidolon Storm.  The reroll 1s to hit is near duplicated with Volturnos so is less of a benefit.  Together they should enable a huge volume of Ishalaen turn 3 attacks with incredible consistency with hopefully enough weight of dice to punch through heavy armour/ after saves.

What are people’s thoughts?