AoS 2 - Idoneth Deepkin Discussion

Chris Tomlin

It's a bit sad to see that Idoneth are such a stale faction (stale for a fairly new faction) that there is little to no discussion because there is essentially only 1 competitive lost.

I really hope that the GH2019 mixes things up a bit, I also have a little hope that they get 1 or 2 more units in 2020 even though seeing fireslayers it's really doubtful

Edited by Hideaki
Added a sentence

17 minutes ago, Hideaki said:

It's a bit sad to see that Idoneth are such a stale faction (stale for a fairly new faction) that there is little to no discussion because there is essentially only 1 competitive lost.

I really hope that the GH2019 mixes things up a bit, I also have a little hope that they get 1 or 2 more units in 2020 even though seeing fireslayers it's really doubtful

yea, truth be told I love this army with all of it's themes and sea life, but there is not much to say after discussing an eel list again for the 54th page. Even then, the way I see it everyone is waiting for the GH to change points around, and even then that one list we have may be lost so who knows?

Honestly I want more fluff and stories from the Idoneth perspective from BL.

keeping the discussions going though, what does eveyone think of our chances versus slaannesh? 

Sadly I have no input on tabletop experience because I have only built 1 miniature. However I am going for a bright, color filled tropical coral color scheme in colors I’ve never painted before, like pink, orange and purple! 

Although I think Slaanesh was strong before their Battletome and likely got even stronger. 

I plan on playing a Thrall heavy regeneration list myself but I know that’s clearly not worked in tournaments so idk. 

I think IDK on the whole are fine vs Slaanesh we have the tools to beat them. 

Theyre a very fragile army but you have to ensure you can kill / summon block all their heroes in one go. With speed and high tide (although their ability can cancel out our strike first) we can try to alpha strike all characters at once. 

In terms of heavy thrall regen I have cooked up a list just not played it yet  

Mor’Phann

Volt

3 render brooch and lament

30/20 thrall

10/10 reaver 

6 spear eels

10 eternal guard allied

corp

its a list that wants to slow the game down with screens and regen then get to high tide and win with buffed Volt and eels. I see it as a fun mix up that I think still can win games. 

• Like 1

I suspect eel heavy lists will have a tough go of slaanesh, though that can probably be said of a lot of elite armies that will be facing the new hedonite book. You're looking at an army that's nearly as fast, can potentially ruin high tide for units that need it most, and whose army special rules and across the board rend are well tailored to eel hunting, morrsarr especially. That said the army is fragile, and will rely on perfect positioning to a higher degree then some of the more forgiving factions.

On 5/6/2019 at 2:21 PM, Dassarri said:

I suspect eel heavy lists will have a tough go of slaanesh, though that can probably be said of a lot of elite armies that will be facing the new hedonite book. You're looking at an army that's nearly as fast, can potentially ruin high tide for units that need it most, and whose army special rules and across the board rend are well tailored to eel hunting, morrsarr especially. That said the army is fragile, and will rely on perfect positioning to a higher degree then some of the more forgiving factions.

I think it depends on the composition as shield eels will be strong vs them. 3+ saves no rend on the charge and just volume of attacks counters their strength and attacks their weaknesses. 

7 hours ago, NinjaBadger7 said:

With the Deepkin (hopefully) getting Endless Spells at some point - what designs/rules are people hoping for?

You know the hammernado stormcasts have?  well, we should have a ****** sharknado. 

other than that, maybe some sort of giant tidal wave,  that could work for cover and mortal wounding stuff like a better Giant Jaws spell. Maybe a swarm of swordfish that swims around stabbing things like quicksilver swords, or possibly a Kracken spell for area control.

and, as long as we are wish listing... I want Crab knights, a giant skeleton terrain piece of a dead monster, a giant sea dragon monster as a throwback to old elfs, and more giant squids or stuff. Really, there is so many ideas.

10 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

Ooooooh I like that! 

What do you all think of Coelia Greenshade and or Biel-Tian for a green shade skin??? 

it could look a bit orkish, but if you higlight it well I think it could look great

Scratching my brain trying to make a Thrall focused list with a sweet turtle. Especially a Thrall list at 1k points haha. I love the Mor’Phann Enclave. 

On 5/11/2019 at 7:29 AM, Hideaki said:

it could look a bit orkish, but if you higlight it well I think it could look great

I went ahead and did the Hexwraith Flame as a shade. It doesn’t look Orcy at all :) 

4C816B3E-21EA-49A8-91A2-D361416EC59D.jpeg

A877B28A-BCB6-4B41-9BD9-19A5F0D2F997.jpeg

02199991-3A56-4440-903B-55F5FE9CCFB6.jpeg

23A7B945-A184-425E-A878-2507DA8F4B16.jpeg

• Like 2

Im sure this has already been asked here but only have a limited break so not enough time to search for it.

How viable is the alliance off wood and sea battalion have picked up the sylvaneth start collecting and a unit of three hunters to test it out but does anyone have any experience with it?

On 5/10/2019 at 9:25 PM, Ravinsild said:

Ooooooh I like that! 

What do you all think of Coelia Greenshade and or Biel-Tian for a green shade skin??? 

A bit late but I have to say I love greenshade and use it for all my armor and fish. Makes a really nice armor for dohm-hein!

also,  zero hour is almost here for general's handbook. I'm both excited and scared. Got money saved up for the last two eel squads I need, and just started putting together my turtle. It really is painful to wait.

also, what do y'all think of the forbidden power spells?

Edited by Acid_Nine
  • Like 1

On 5/18/2019 at 2:57 PM, Acid_Nine said:

As much fun as putting the turtle together, the gondola on top was a big chore to put together along with the elven crossbows. Blah it sucked. 

Cant wait till I can play him though, for as much as he apparently sucks in games!

I will argue to the ground that the turtle doesn’t suck. I’d even say it’s rather good. 

I can see the argument that it’s not optimal for it’s points, but that only really matters if you’re playing competitively I think. Against other lists that aren’t min/maxed you’ll get by fine with units like the leviadon and shark thrown in

Edited by Azamar

6 minutes ago, Azamar said:

I will argue to the ground that the turtle doesn’t suck. I’d even say it’s rather good. 

I can see the argument that it’s not optimal for it’s points, but that only really matters if you’re playing competitively I think. Against other lists that aren’t min/maxed you’ll get by fine with units like the leviadon and shark thrown in

Sometimes it’s funny to just soulscryer-strike a turtle right on top of the enemy.   Everyone plans for an eel strike but then they have to instead deal with a 16 wound 3+ tank that in no way forms a core part of your army

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Azamar said:

we got 52 other pages of this 😉 I was mostly making  joke! I'm really excited to play it in a game (if I will ever have one) sometime. it just seems so fun to goof around with!

@Aelven supremacy that sounds like a hilarious idea I need to try out sometime.

Edited by Acid_Nine

56 minutes ago, Acid_Nine said:

we got 52 other pages of this 😉 I was mostly making  joke! I'm really excited to play it in a game (if I will ever have one) sometime. it just seems so fun to goof around with!

Ah, sorry that went a long way over my head then. 

It is a lot of fun though- once it’s done it’s primary job (keeping your other units alive until high tide) push a lord of the tides or two it’s way then throw it into the mix like a big scaly battering ram. For an army that relies on precision strikes it’s quite unsubtle really. 

Deepstriking it will definitely give your opponent pause for thought as well.