AoS 2 - Idoneth Deepkin Discussion

Chris Tomlin

3 hours ago, Mikelomba said:

What about 12 eels and turtle or aspect of storm.. idont usually see those 2. Its because they dont preform well?

Turtle is not a high performer. Eidolon of the storm is definitely good. It’s just tough to fit him, a tidecaster, 3 battleline, and 12 - 15 eels into a list. You kind of get into a weird points breakdown.

Could do:

tidecaster

eidolon

soulscryer

15 eels

30 thralls/reavers

Puts you right at 1980 and you would not be sad with your results

Edited by Luke1705

1 hour ago, Aelven supremacy said:

Or mortal wound protection (Ignax) depending on match-up.   The issue with the amulet is that the Eidolon loses the benefit of cover.  

I mean he's charging almost every turn so.....

Also don't most sigmar events require you to keep your artifact and command trait the same for the entire event?  I love that almost all 40k events let you swap them out game by game at a multi-round event,  but I haven't seen AoS events where that is the case.

If it were, I could see an argument to be made based on matchups for sure.  As is, it just seems like the amulet is better for most situations.

5 hours ago, N_Watson said:

There is no good list that doesn't have 12+ eels. Got a few at 12-15-18 eels. 

Do you think there is a down side to having more, like my 24 eel list? Other than being 5 drops instead of 4

Edited by Luke1705

30 minutes ago, N_Watson said:

I'm not a fan. Eels are actually more fragile than they look and its low bodies as is with Namarti. 

I do like the twist your northern masters list incorporated with the heartrenders and the auto unbind instead of eels 19-24. I personally am just allergic to DoK but I can definitely see the appeal

22 minutes ago, Maddpainting said:

He cant get cover anyways tho... he has more than 8 wounds.

It’s models with the monster or war machine keywords that have 8 or more wounds that can’t get the cover bonus. The eidolon is neither, so will benefit from cover, as will the king/ Volturnos. 

• Like 2

I'm thinking about jumping back into my Idoneth Deepkin army after having sold most of it off prior, due to me botching my first paint jobs on the Eels and Thralls. Currently, all I have right now is the Gloomtide shipwreck, an Akhelian King/Volturnos, a Tidecaster and the book itself.

My first thought is that I would like to try something featuring the lesser used units of IDK, primarily the Reavers and the Leviadon; I know for certain that I do not want to touch Thralls what so ever, since they are far too fragile, both game and model wise.

Eels are something I might have some interest in later, but they are not necessarily something I want to entirely go all in on.

Currently, I just to want to build to 1000 points, so that I can get the army done and have an Order army. 

For my first list, I was thinking something like this:

Allegiance: Idoneth Deepkin
- Enclave: Fuethan
Akhelian King (240)
- Artefact: Terrornight Venom 
Isharann Tidecaster (100)
- General
- Trait: Lord of Storm and Sea 
- Lore of the Deeps: Tide of Fear
10 x Namarti Reavers (140)
10 x Namarti Reavers (140)
Akhelian Leviadon (380)

Total: 1000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 20
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 48

The idea is that I want to fluff them out as a bit of a poorer Enclave, that has created its home in a Ghur ocean,  hidden in a massive graveyard of shipwrecks. 

On 4/3/2019 at 12:02 AM, Luke1705 said:

I’ve been looking at James Tinsdale’s list recently, which placed pretty well at the most recent event he took it to. It is attached at the end of this post.

Three things I’m not sure I’m sold on (James if you’re reading this please convince me)

1) Namarti corps. Extra artifact great. Less drops love it. Basically only costs 50 points (although a tough sell with needing a fourth Namarti unit so maybe the real “cost” is closer to 190)

2) Soulrender over a second soulscryer. Is the regen on units that I presume are basically going to salute and die worth giving up eel deep strike flexibility (and potential +6 on charges if the stars align)?

3) Do we really need an extra command point? We get one first turn anyway and the eels can deep strike. Do eels evaporate so fast that we need 2 to stop battleshock before our second hero phase?

People who aren’t James feel free to wildly speculate or throw out educated opinions. I’m thinking about going more down the eel spam route  for my competitive list (I desperately love the model so it’s great)

I’m thinking: (Fuethan)

Tidecaster (General, born from agony)

2 x Soulscryer (1 with cloud)

2 x 9 morrsar

6 morrsarr

3 x 10 thralls (or maybe 2 thralls 1 reaver)

2k on the dot

Would love to know why this isn’t better than James’ list (I assume he’s playtested and it’s not)

1946FC2B-4EB1-42CD-BCD4-70D438A327F9.jpeg

Hey @Luke1705 Thanks for checking out my list! I see you have a few questions! My boi @N_Watson seems to have covered my decision go go to 5 drops for Sheffield Slaughter (3rd), Heat 1 (1st) , my local 1 Dayer (1st) and recently this weekend the Justice GT (8th). I’ve lost 2 games all season. Both to Gristlegore piloted by top players. This is one of the primary reasons to be low drops.

However to your points:

1)  The tax is irrelevant. It’s the only functional battalion we have that allows us to have 3 scoring heroes in arcane places of power. Not to mention it reduces the list to 5 drops. Reavers are not a tax. They are our answer to Gristlegore and need to be learnt. There is simply a difficulty curve in using them. I know many deepkin players arn’t me but trust me, learn to use this unit. 2 attacks each in combat and can be screens. 

2) I rarely start my Eels off the board. The ability to move 20’ first turn and charge with +3 can hit any unit. Coming on limits your options. For a while a second scryer has been redundant for me. The Render can fight in combat and restoring models can keep your thralls in the fight and score objectives otherwise lost. 

3) Yes command points are super important. Having 2, going to 3 turn 1 means you can guarentee your eels 20 if you need to. Not to mention inspire a screen against 1 drop Sylv alpha before restoring the unit in your turn. I cannot emphasise enough how useful these are to our army. 

In regards to your list, I ran something similar with a Storm and some Heartrenders at Blood and Glory last year. Play what you enjoy! 

See you on the Sea’s Deepkin bro x

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Carrion King said:

Hey @Luke1705 Thanks for checking out my list! I see you have a few questions! My boi @N_Watson seems to have covered my decision go go to 5 drops for Sheffield Slaughter (3rd), Heat 1 (1st) , my local 1 Dayer (1st) and recently this weekend the Justice GT (8th). I’ve lost 2 games all season. Both to Gristlegore piloted by top players. This is one of the primary reasons to be low drops.

However to your points:

1)  The tax is irrelevant. It’s the only functional battalion we have that allows us to have 3 scoring heroes in arcane places of power. Not to mention it reduces the list to 5 drops. Reavers are not a tax. They are our answer to Gristlegore and need to be learnt. There is simply a difficulty curve in using them. I know many deepkin players arn’t me but trust me, learn to use this unit. 2 attacks each in combat and can be screens. 

2) I rarely start my Eels off the board. The ability to move 20’ first turn and charge with +3 can hit any unit. Coming on limits your options. For a while a second scryer has been redundant for me. The Render can fight in combat and restoring models can keep your thralls in the fight and score objectives otherwise lost. 

3) Yes command points are super important. Having 2, going to 3 turn 1 means you can guarentee your eels 20 if you need to. Not to mention inspire a screen against 1 drop Sylv alpha before restoring the unit in your turn. I cannot emphasise enough how useful these are to our army. 

In regards to your list, I ran something similar with a Storm and some Heartrenders at Blood and Glory last year. Play what you enjoy! 

See you on the Sea’s Deepkin bro x

Thanks for the responses James. Tbh I was under the influence of some sort of febrile delirium thinking the soulscryer reduced the amount of drops in the list by allowing his friends to count as 1 drop with him. Personally I like 18 eels more than 24 anyway.

• LOVE IT! 1

4 minutes ago, Luke1705 said:

Thanks for the responses James. Tbh I was under the influence of some sort of febrile delirium thinking the soulscryer reduced the amount of drops in the list by allowing his friends to count as 1 drop with him. Personally I like 18 eels more than 24 anyway.

Key is to enjoy your games, enjoy the army! If your ever at an event I’m at, Come chat Deepkin with me anytime!

8 minutes ago, Carrion King said:

Key is to enjoy your games, enjoy the army! If your ever at an event I’m at, Come chat Deepkin with me anytime!

I also like to play hard haha. One of my regular sparring partners plays that Sylvaneth alpha bunker you mentioned with Morathi and 6 hunters plus Dryads for days.

Definitely will keep an eye out but I’m on the other side of the pond. If you’re ever in the northeast United States though, definitely give a holler.

1 hour ago, Tizianolol said:

Anyone guys know the heat 1 winner list of idoneth deepkin ? :)

My list was:

Allegiance: Idoneth Deepkin
- Enclave: Fuethan
Mortal Realm: Aqshy
Isharann Tidecaster (100)
- General
- Trait: Born From Agony  
- Lore of the Deeps: Steed of Tides
Isharann Soulscryer (100)
- Artefact: Cloud of Midnight  
Isharann Soulrender (100)
- Artefact: Thermalrider Cloak