AoS 2 - Idoneth Deepkin Discussion

Chris Tomlin

25 minutes ago, Nico said:

Rip Tide would also add +1 to hit vs a specified target, which would be a very welcome change. Counters Death Stars.

Nice catch! That's really nice. Doesn't make up for the reaver nerf because they hit the + wound also, but still awesome for everyone. I really like this spell a lot now.  

So i broke down and bought the app to see what some of the battalions do... those have also been updated... royal court is waaaaay better.

IF you have a king you can pick one unit, if there is a tide caster near him you can pick another, and if a soul scryer is near you can pick yet another. Each chosen unit gets +6"move No need for any of the units in the battalion to be general.  That's basicly the auto +6" run command ability but better, and definitly removes the need for twitching tides to get turn 1 charges from out deployment. Royal Court deepkin are FAST. With the soulscryer thats 3 units with basicly +9" to thier effective movement for the turn if you add the charge. With morrsarr moving 20" with a +3" charge. 

The others didn't change also says updated june 2018. 

Edit: without a casting value on that and bringing it's own CP to use itself atleast once thats better than the cogs for sure Since you also can get that soulscryer boost in there or versatility to not keep him on the table to sneak stuff on the board.

The list i'm thinking with these rules:

Ionrach for casting bonus (????)

Tidecaster General Cloud of Midnight

Tidecasters W/ Coral ring

Tidecaster

King 

Soulscryer

Royal Court (with the king, Soulscryer, and 2xtide casters in it)

6xmorrsarr

6xmorrsarr

10xreavers

10xreavers

10xreavers

Umbral Spell Portal

Geminids of Uhl-gysh

+1 Command pt. 

Edited by mmimzie

Im, bit confused,  in my turn if i use kings new command ability to a unit that charges and i have some other unit also in combat does the unit with command ability get to fight first and do i then get to fight with the unit that does not have the ability or will my opponent get to fight with his unit first. If my opponent gets to fight after the hightide unit strikes but before i choose other unit to strike that command ability does nothing in my own turn.

Im bit sad that i got to only play one game before my army got so many changes?

Edited by SirPug

7 minutes ago, SirPug said:

Im, bit confused,  in my turn if i use kings new command ability to a unit that charges and i have some other unit also in combat does the unit with command ability get to fight first and do i then get to fight with the unit that does not have the ability or will my opponent get to fight with his unit first. If my opponent gets to fight after the hightide unit strikes but before i choose other unit to strike that command ability does nothing in my own turn.

Im bit sad that i got to only play one game before my army got so many changes?

The way i read it the tides of death preempts the normal fighting order. Than you fall back to the normal fighting order. however there are lines in the high tides rule that confuses this some for sure. 

Edit actualy it's clear you" fight with eligible ID units then resolve fights with any other units." Thde only high tide eligible units are the ones that you high tided. SO then you fall back on normal turn order. 

Edited by mmimzie
  • Thanks 1

I think it's rude that they said that the Idoneth deepkin battletome was designed for AoS 2 and yet they made such big changes. It really put me off because I have just finnished my unit of Ishlaen guard and now I don't even know if I want to use them anymore...

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Just now, Amradiel said:

I think it's rude that they said that the Idoneth deepkin battletome was designed for AoS 2 and yet they made such big changes. It really put me off because I have just finnished my unit of Ishlaen guard and now I don't even know if I want to use them anymore...

For me the fact that changes came so soon and unexpectedly is the worst part.

Even if the changes make my army stronger i feel that I dont really have solid ground under my feet and everything about my army could be changed again just in the snap of a finger.

4 minutes ago, Amradiel said:

More so to your point i would say it also flys in the face of the faction focus they released right???

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/06/09/9th-june-faction-focus-idoneth-deepkingw-homepage-post-3/

were they talk about the kings command abiltiy only working turn 3., and even show his lord of tides ability as it is in the book

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Drofnum said:

How do we get the updated battalion rules without buying them on the app?  If I cant get them with paying thats pretty crappy, I already bought the book I shouldnt have to pay in the app as well.

I suspect the app have been updated with a old alpha set of rules for the idoneth. 

Some of them seems very unbalanced, as a prove that something went wrong with the app grundstok thunderers are uploaded with their old ws. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Arael said:

I suspect the app have been updated with a old alpha set of rules for the idoneth. 

Some of them seems very unbalanced, as a prove that something went wrong with the app grundstok thunderers are uploaded with their old ws. 

My thoughts exactly. The page “xx” in the king and volturnos’ command ability section makes me think these warscrolls were written before the book was finalised.  Yeah, it say updated in June, but so does every single other warscroll on the app, as it was updated today. 

The fact the battalion is different as well convinces me further- you’d expect a change like that to appear in yesterday’s errata, not randomly turning up in the app. 

6 minutes ago, Nico said:

Yeah - it’s possible that some or all of the Idoneth changes are an old version of the scrolls. It’s weird as the Turtle fix is in there.

Can you even have net launchers on the turtle without converting them? I haven’t got the kit but it looks like it’s just the harpoon launchers in there.

• Like 1

It seems like a pretty big oversight. Additionally, if you download the warscrolls from the website, they're still the ones we had from the battletome. I asked for clarification on their FB page but haven't received a response yet. GW sure has let quality control drop with these new rules, lately.

So these changes are...interesting.

If they are true ishlaen guard really struggle to have any purpose vs morsarr. An extra attack and a 6++ for 20 points less? Like a fast delay unit maybe.

There are new combos to be had it seems.

I feel an alpha strike morsarr, a thrall spam list or a sorta mix might work. The kings buff is worse in my mind for morsarr but scary for thralls. 

Tbh reavers probably still what they did before, just less value for points.

Ishalaen certainly dont do what they did before and dont really do anything now. Even reducing their armour save to 5+ couldve worked if GW felt the ability was too powerful.

Riptide is so vicious that you want to draw out unbinds until you can cast in uninhibited. Thralls potentially hitting on a 2+ against a unit with rerolls would be terrifying.

Having just invested in a Leviadon, 12 eels, 2 Eidolons and all the 4 supports + Akhelian King/Volturnos i kinda hope the warscrolls in the app are mistaken. 

Even though the new Tidecaster is sweet, i think the hit to Ishlaen Guard and Reavers are too much. Forces me out of a defensive playstyle... well see.

3 minutes ago, markymarkka said:

Having just invested in a Leviadon, 12 eels, 2 Eidolons and all the 4 supports + Akhelian King/Volturnos i kinda hope the warscrolls in the app are mistaken. 

Even though the new Tidecaster is sweet, i think the hit to Ishlaen Guard and Reavers are too much. Forces me out of a defensive playstyle... well see.

Well I will gladly change my ishlaen to Morrsarr to have a cheated Tidecaster like the one in the app :D:D:D

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Arael said:

Well I will gladly change my ishlaen to Morrsarr to have a cheated Tidecaster like the one in the app :D:D:D

Yeah all in all its not a major loss, just sad that it forces us to play really offensively.  For some games i would have wanted to experiment with ishlaen + reavers for example. Both are kinda gutted now.

Also, what is this ****** with the updated battalions? I just bought the battletome, so now i have to pay for them again? 

9 minutes ago, markymarkka said:

Also, what is this ****** with the updated battalions? I just bought the battletome, so now i have to pay for them again?

Chillax :) These changes are probably coupled to the faulty point changes in the GH2018 for Idoneth. No point in getting upset until we hear something permanent from GW. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pompe said:

Chillax :) These changes are probably coupled to the faulty point changes in the GH2018 for Idoneth. No point in getting upset until we hear something permanent from GW. 

This. Whenever a battalion has had rule changes before, it’s been updated in an errata (Kharadron iron sky command for example) so I doubt you’d have to pay extra on the app to get the updated rules. 

I realise every post I have made in this thread makes it sound like I’m clutching my book and warscroll cards and gently rocking  in the corner. So here’s a wip for a more hobby related note:

1042468D-DE34-4602-B3D3-4B31FD81691D.jpeg

98C39261-8B8E-44F3-B034-09352FE741ED.jpeg

• Like 3

Looks incredible, always love a good Kurnoth hunter scythe conversion and i adore the vibrant colour scheme. 

Also until theres an announcement on the community site/ facebook I am going to assume that these warscrolls are mistaken.