AoS 2 - Idoneth Deepkin Discussion

Chris Tomlin

2 hours ago, CanHammer-darren said:

Quick question. The ship wrecks count as terrain right? So enemies that can’t fly have to go around or up and over?  Does anyone use them just to block lanes of movement with other terrain in mind?

They are terrain.  I use them all the time to block lanes or to force my opponent to go into certain areas to avoid them.  They have more use for that than anything else in my opinion.

Ladies and gentlemen, good (late) morning!

Today I want to discuss about some "deep madness", but first...theme song!

Spoiler

The main question is some brainstorming about a competitive, lovecrafthian, "Ulgu themed" 2k list :

Realm: Ulgu
Enclave: Ionrach
Wounds: 134

Royal Council (140):
1x Akhelian King (General; trait: emissary of the deep places; weapon: spear; artefact: doppelganger cloak) (240)
1x Soulscryer (100)
1x Tidecaster (lore: tide of fear ; artefact: dritchleech) (100)
1x Tidecaster (lore: vorpal maelstrom) (100) 

Battline:
6x Ishlaen Guard (280)
6x Ishlaen Guard (280) 
6x Morrsar Guard (320)

Allies:
20x Sequitors (400)

Endless Spells:
1x Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)

For now, I have not yet tested the list with my friends, but the idea is to prepare it for a future event. It deploys a few units, but has several answers: 4 support heroes, 2 spells/unbinds (with +1), 1 deepstrike, 5 tanky units, high speed and a very good combat phase.
At first glance I think the possible problem is the horde lists, like daughters, plaguetouched and nighthaunt. I'm curious to listen to your reflections about.

p.s.: "Lovecrafthian", because I imagined a cult allocated in the sea of Ulgu, where a degenerate and ambitious race, like the Idoneth, venerates one of the forgotten Godbeasts (maybe "Dagon"?). The sequitors are not other than human zealots of this cult.

Edited by Holy_Diver
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Holy_Diver said:

Ladies and gentlemen, good (late) morning!

Today I want to discuss about some "deep madness", but first...theme song!

Reveal hidden contents

The main question is some brainstorming about a competitive, lovecrafthian, "Ulgu themed" 2k list :

Realm: Ulgu
Enclave: Ionrach
Wounds: 134

Royal Council (140):
1x Akhelian King (General; trait: emissary of the deep places; weapon: spear; artefact: doppelganger cloak) (240)
1x Soulscryer (100)
1x Tidecaster (lore: tide of fear ; artefact: dritchleech) (100)
1x Tidecaster (lore: vorpal maelstrom) (100) 

Battline:
6x Ishlaen Guard (280)
6x Ishlaen Guard (280) 
6x Morrsar Guard (320)

Allies:
20x Sequitors (400)

Endless Spells:
1x Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)

For now, I have not yet tested the list with my friends, but the idea is to prepare it for a future event. It deploys a few units, but has several answers: 4 support heroes, 2 spells/unbinds (with +1), 1 deepstrike, 5 tanky units, high speed and a very good combat phase.
At first glance I think the possible problem is the horde lists, like daughters, plaguetouched and nighthaunt. I'm curious to listen to your reflections about.

p.s.: "Lovecrafthian", because I imagined a cult allocated in the sea of Ulgu, where a degenerate and ambitious race, like the Idoneth, venerates one of the forgotten Godbeasts (maybe "Dagon"?). The sequitors are not other than human zealots of this cult.

Do you have a battalion for the second artifact? Your points calculated from the list are 1860 so I guess so.

Hey there.

I'm looking to start an Idoneth Deepkin force for the new year and I came up with this list as an initial base to get started from. I think it has a good level of offense and control that I'm looking for while being able to make it competitive enough (I think) to take to tournaments. I always look forward to any and all feedback you guys provide.

Deepkin Test.jpg

I played my fourth game with deepkin last night and won on points against night haunt, he destroyed more poInto than I managed to though. The sheer number of models was painful to get through - it seems horde armies are a bit of a weakness for us?

Oddly. The reavers were MVP, holding an objective for 5 rounds despite constant onslaught from a huge unit of chainrasps.  The king was a beast again, jadewound thorn synergises nicely with him. 

Enjoying the army a lot, currently I have about 1k and was going to stop there, but the army had me hooked and I expect to end up at 2k 🙂

Edited by Praecautus

I play casually in a group of 5 so generally go 'rule of kool' over competitiveness.  IDK are one of my 3 armies and I do love to start new projects,  I already have the following:

Akhelian King

Soulrender

Lotann

Tidecaster

Soulscryer

30 Thralls

6 Eels

10 Reavers

Leviadon

Allopex

With that in mind what do you think i should get for Christmas? An Eidelon OR the Daughters of Khaine battleforce box (as very cool looking allies)??

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:44 PM, valenswift said:

I play casually in a group of 5 so generally go 'rule of kool' over competitiveness.  IDK are one of my 3 armies and I do love to start new projects,  I already have the following:

Akhelian King

Soulrender

Lotann

Tidecaster

Soulscryer

30 Thralls

6 Eels

10 Reavers

Leviadon

Allopex

With that in mind what do you think i should get for Christmas? An Eidelon OR the Daughters of Khaine battleforce box (as very cool looking allies)??

100% Eidelon for me. I dislike to take allies and it's such a sweet model... It may not be the best for your list now, but before you finish to paint all that, the point cost of ID should have been updated :)

• Like 1

So, I have very little time to paint here lately.  And, I'll probably be finishing my 40K army in the near future.  I was considering starting an Idoneth Deepkin army for AoS.  I love the models for this army... especially the Leviadon.  Anyway, while I know there are always good savings in the Start Collecting and the Battleforce boxes, is the Deepsurge Raiding Party box for the Idoneth really a good deal?  I've done the list building, and it only gets you to 820 points which is shy of the 1000 points that seems to be the lowest baseline used in the AoS rulebook.  The way I have found to remedy this is to, at some later date, buy Volturnos.  Swap out the Tidecaster for Volturnos, and you hit 1000 points on the dot.

I would rather build my entire army around Akhelians so that I could run Akhelian Guard as troops... essentially, I'd rather have a mounted army.  That said, I can see the use in having some infantry as well.

Anyway, all that said, is the box really a worthwhile value if I'm more-or-less going to be throwing away the Tidecaster to run Volturnos in its place?  Or would it end up being about equal if I was to buy all of what comes in the Battleforce separately except for the Tidecaster and use that money for Volturnos instead.

Also, as a final question, for Idoneth players, is this Battleforce box a good starting place for someone who would like to slowly get into Idoneth?

Thanks

SG

Edited by ServiceGames
  • Like 1

Ok so I have played my first game with fully painted Deepkins and it was a blast as their playstyle is very different to DoK army lists that I have been very successful with. 

My list 

Dhoim Haim

Volturnos 

Aspect of the Storm with Doppelganger Cloak 

Soulscryer 

Tidecaster with Steed of Tides 

9 Morssar 

6 Morssar 

6 Ishalean 

I've played Scorched Earth against Plaugebeares heavy army (2x30 Plaguebearers, 2x20 Plague Monks, Guo, 2x20 Maruders, Furnace, Sorcerer, another hero) 

I won it by the end of 5 turn, I was happy to win scenario that was so objective based. Made one mistake that costed me Volturnos. 

Oh and I lost all five initiative rolls and still felt quite comfortable ;)

DSC_1829.JPG

DSC_1825.JPG

DSC_1826.JPG

Edited by DantePQ
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ServiceGames said:

So, I have very little time to paint here lately.  And, I'll probably be finishing my 40K army in the near future.  I was considering starting an Idoneth Deepkin army for AoS.  I love the models for this army... especially the Leviadon.  Anyway, while I know there are always good savings in the Start Collecting and the Battleforce boxes, is the Deepsurge Raiding Party box for the Idoneth really a good deal?  I've done the list building, and it only gets you to 820 points which is shy of the 1000 points that seems to be the lowest baseline used in the AoS rulebook.  The way I have found to remedy this is to, at some later date, buy Volturnos.  Swap out the Tidecaster for Volturnos, and you hit 1000 points on the dot.

I would rather build my entire army around Akhelians so that I could run Akhelian Guard as troops... essentially, I'd rather have a mounted army.  That said, I can see the use in having some infantry as well.

Anyway, all that said, is the box really a worthwhile value if I'm more-or-less going to be throwing away the Tidecaster to run Volturnos in its place?  Or would it end up being about equal if I was to buy all of what comes in the Battleforce separately except for the Tidecaster and use that money for Volturnos instead.

Also, as a final question, for Idoneth players, is this Battleforce box a good starting place for someone who would like to slowly get into Idoneth?

Thanks

SG

Hi, no the battleforce is only worth considering if you fancy the models. Allopexes and reavers are a pass in the competitive lists so far. But you could wait few months for a probable Start collecting box which could include some eels and/ or a king. Plus there is some chance the battleforce will not run out of stock quickly, so you could still buy it later if needed ...

1 hour ago, christophe said:

Hi, no the battleforce is only worth considering if you fancy the models. Allopexes and reavers are a pass in the competitive lists so far. But you could wait few months for a probable Start collecting box which could include some eels and/ or a king. Plus there is some chance the battleforce will not run out of stock quickly, so you could still buy it later if needed ...

I’m only a casual player, and I love the Allopex, Leviadon, and Eel models.  Really like Volturnus, too.  Reavers/Thralls... pretty cool that they are blind since they live so far under the water.  But, otherwise I can live without them.

SG

• Like 1

I'm also looking for some advice. I've not played in 2.0 at all yet.

I'm also thinking of picking up the Battlebox. I'm interested in casual play, but I don't want to loose all the time. I do want to use all the models in the box though.

Not interested in running just eels (but im not adverse to adding a few more)

Just wondering what else I should get by the looks of things a King is a definite, but if I am going to try and use everything in the box what else should I get to make a 1500 army?

I have a huge Sylvaneth Army that I can ally in also.

Really want to get the giant turtle but that won't be for another while unfortunately due to funds

TIA

So. i hate the Allopex, but the more im thinking about it, is it worth to take one for the akhelian corps battalion, a re-rolls a phase (if im reading it correct a re-roll of XYZ once per phase).

Is that worth it in the long run? Its around 700pts, im spending 240pts for those rules, but i do still get a unit even tho its over priced.

Im working on a major GT list, i play a lot and i have a base down for what i like, but there are a few details im hammering out to make sure.

Edited by Maddpainting
Spelling

OK, so I really want to start an Idoneth Deepkin army.  I've spoken with my wife about it, and she is OK with it as long as I buy one model/box of models and finish painting them before picking up another one.  That makes a lot of sense as I'm bad about buying up 1000 points of an army, starting to assemble and paint them, and then move on to something different leaving them only partly assembled and painted indefinitely.

Please keep in mind that I do have other armies that I can add these models to like Stormcast and Sylvaneth, so it doesn't have to be a leader right away unless you all thing that would be best?  If so, should I go for something like Volturnos?  Would you recommend Akhelian Guard instead or maybe an Allopex?

Thanks in advance!

SG

20 hours ago, ServiceGames said:

OK, so I really want to start an Idoneth Deepkin army.  I've spoken with my wife about it, and she is OK with it as long as I buy one model/box of models and finish painting them before picking up another one.  That makes a lot of sense as I'm bad about buying up 1000 points of an army, starting to assemble and paint them, and then move on to something different leaving them only partly assembled and painted indefinitely.

Please keep in mind that I do have other armies that I can add these models to like Stormcast and Sylvaneth, so it doesn't have to be a leader right away unless you all thing that would be best?  If so, should I go for something like Volturnos?  Would you recommend Akhelian Guard instead or maybe an Allopex?

Thanks in advance! 

SG

Akelian King /Volturnos are the best general option in my opinion. On 1000 points you can use them, with Akhelian Guard (I like more than Allopex) and a tidecaster. Other option is add Namarti and merge with Akhelian guard.

It depends I started to play heavy-competitive Deepkin a lot recently and I love playing them (got a little burned out with Daughters of Khaine - as I've played over 200 games with DoK ) so far I am 4-1 (played against Nurgle, Arkhan+Zombie Dragon+ Grimghast LoN , Deepkins, SCE and DoK) I only dropped game against DoK - but its horrible match-up for Deepkins and I played really badly as well. 

Both Dhoim-Haim and Fuethan are great, and it's nice to reverse tides with Tidecaster general but it's nice to use Volturnos CA as well. 

I have Aspect of the Storm in every list as he helps a lot and his ability to retreat&charge and really helps in "Three Places of Power", but I am still torn what item to give as Doppleganger Cloak is quite bad with High Tide, Ethereal Amulet is nice and so is Cloud of Midnight. But I got to look through item list to decide. 

So it's quite "safe" to buy 

- Volturnos/Akhelian King

- Tidecaster

- Soulscryer 

- Morssar

Those units will find a place in every Deepkin Army.   

Few updates played couple of more comeptitive games with Deepkins with various lists (mainly Volturnos Dhoim Haim Eels spam and Fuethan Tidecaster Alpha Strike) and I am still having a blast with Deepkins they are great fun but really hard to master to beat most top tier comeptitive lists you got to think like 1-2 turns in advance as you don't have many bodies/units and Morssar work only on charge. 

Lost really close game agians Arkhan as I made terrible mistakes in first two turns but they came back to almost win it (but didn't as I lost turn 5 priority roll) 

I think I will switch to Deepkins as my go to torurnamenr army but still it takes a lot of time to learn how to play them against different builds so it's much more difficult then DoK 

IMG_20181212_005503_878.jpg

DSC_1882.JPG

DSC_1881.JPG

• Like 1

I love the aesthetic of deepkin so much, the new box set has me thinking about it. 

Wondering how I can build an effective list based on those contents?

I'm thinking these foundations -

Unit of 4 allopex being buffed with attacks from volturnus 

Unit of 6 shield eels to hold things down

I guess I'd be using the troops in the box as battleline? If there's a way around that I'm interested

I love the aspect models, heavy on points but if synergy is there I would be into that

Also love the turtle but again, points heavy

Can someone help me build a synergetic starting list based around a king and unit of 4 allopex? I ended heard deepstriking them can be a good start to get wrecking

Seasons greetings, 

Tournament tomorrow 1k, what do you chaps think would be the better list? 

Eidolon AoStm

King - doppel and agony

Morsarr 

Ishlaen

940 (1 extra command and almost cert a triumph) 

Or same as above AoSea 

980 points

I am leaning towards storm for the extra command, wound reroll and combat potential on a small board. I don't care about losing access to spells, but I am concerned about losing unbind.

Thanks for any help. 

Hi, trying to get a friend into the hobby and he likes the look of deepkin. After reading some of the comments here it seems as though the Christmas bundle isn't the best for viability so what would be a good starting point for him? I'm planning on getting him some stuff for Christmas (£50) then he was planning on adding £50 or so, so he has around £100 to spend.

He's planning on adding more later aswell so how would people recommend expanding? Any must have units / units to avoid?

Thanks for the help!