AoS 2 - Idoneth Deepkin Discussion

Chris Tomlin

17 minutes ago, DocKeule said:

1. In my opinion that should apply to the mounts attacks because they are part oftbthe unit.

2. Here it shoulp not apply because the mount does not use weappons.

Actually both apply because the Fins and tails are weapons. Natural weapons but still weapons. Command Abilities work on both riders and mounts as stated in FAQ. So yes you get all the bonus attacks.

• Like 1

Looking at the FAQs I noticed we can safely say saving up command points to cash in with Volturnos is a definite option:

Q: Can I spend 2 or more command points to allow the same model to use the same command ability more than once in the same phase?
A: Yes, unless specifically noted otherwise.

I checked the core rules, General's Handbook and the Deepkin FAQs/Designer's Commentaries but couldn't find any references for command abilities and mounts, but I could have missed something.

Hello guys, seeing the 130 euros box for Christmas, what do you think GW will put in a 65 euros SC box ? The turtle is probably way too expensive for a SC, but a shark would be perfect size and prize wise. Yet getting 2 in the Christmas box make it maybe less likely ?

King, Namarti and Eels, total 112,5 euros ? Boring, not the best deal, but safe and useful

A shark, namarti, eels and Hero would be 135, probably too much value. Removing the Hero, not very SC like, removing an unit, not enough value...

For the last KO box we got a 40 euros Gunhauler, 32,5x2 of troups and 20 for a hero, total 125. 

Any predictions or wishes ?

1 hour ago, Fulkes said:

Looking at the FAQs I noticed we can safely say saving up command points to cash in with Volturnos is a definite option:

I checked the core rules, General's Handbook and the Deepkin FAQs/Designer's Commentaries but couldn't find any references for command abilities and mounts, but I could have missed something.

Page 242 of the core rules specify that command traits and artifacts do not affect mounts. Command abilities, spells, prayers, normal abilities do work on mounts however. There is nothing to state they do not.

Just now, King Taloren said:

Page 242 of the core rules specify that command traits and artifacts do not affect mounts. Command abilities, spells, prayers, normal abilities do work on mounts however. There is nothing to state they do not.

Well that solves that then. I'm still trying to pour all this stuff into my head since I've been out of fantasy since early 8th and finally had an excuse to get back into it with an army that has caught my attention.

1 hour ago, King Taloren said:

Do the rules define what a mount is and how to identify on a warscroll?

1 hour ago, GeneralZero said:

what do you think guys of the ID Battleforce?

I don't have ID , so, it'll be to start from zero. One box? 2 boxes?....or zero? lets say for semi competitive...or more

I think it would be fine if you're looking to be semi-competitive but not going for tournament podiums.  The Allopex are probably the worst unit we have but if they get pointed properly in the future they could be solid.  The rest are a decent base for a 1000 point list, add a box of eels to the battleforce box and you could do the following list which would be decent and easy to expand on.

Isharann Tidecaster (100)
10 x Namarti Thralls (140)
2 x Akhelian Allopexes (280)
3 x Akhelian Morrsarr Guard (160)
10 x Namarti Reavers (140)
3 x Akhelian Ishlaen Guard (140)

Total: 960 / 2000

2 hours ago, newsun said:

Do the rules define what a mount is and how to identify on a warscroll?

. There’s not a keyword for it nor definition in the rules. Really just go on common sense. Some people try to get a bit rules Laywer esc and claim the turtle isn’t a mount but I 100% disagree. If you notice the warscrolls with mounts list their attacks with the mount name first. 

Something that crossed my mind is that I feel like the Reavers pair well with the Allopex to help ping off wounds to allow you to make the charge. It's not a big thing, but I feel like taking a unit of Reavers, an Allopex and a Soulscryer could make for an interesting combo as they pop up on the opponent's side of the board early into the game and start harrassing things (and become a target for missile weapons to defend the rest of the army).

Anyone try running larger units of Allopex, or have people just been running 1 here and there?

On a different note, I keep playing with a lot of different army builds but other than a core built around Namarti (and I'm not talking running Battleline, I just mean more where the model count is largely focused) I can't really make up my mind on how I want to build the army. Dhome-hain looks like it could be interesting with the right build (Royal Council, Tidecaster General for Runes of Surging Tides, and casting Chromatic Cogs for a turn two smacking into the enemy and fighting first), while Mor'phann looks like it could be a way to run a strong Namarti Corps army (with one large block of Namarti healing at least 6 a turn allowing the unit to multicharge and weather the hits it's taking better than it normally would)

Of course we have a major problem of having too many cool models and just not enough room to take them all in an army which gets a little depressing.

20 hours ago, King Taloren said:

Actually both apply because the Fins and tails are weapons. Natural weapons but still weapons. Command Abilities work on both riders and mounts as stated in FAQ. So yes you get all the bonus attacks.

And Leviadon Attacks (Leviadon’s Crushing Jaws and Leviadon’s Massive Scythed Fins) repeats failed wounds rolls too?

Edited by Sergi

After much puzzling over the Namarti, I feel the real issue for them isn't the Namarti but rather the way our auras work. Namarti heavy lists almost demand larger units to maximize their benefits, but the army restricts our ability to take advantage of that properly with the "wholly within" clause that is crammed into every aura. That just hurts an otherwise decent set of units that could have been a more valid option than what we got.

• Like 1

Hi. Picking up on AOS again after a long time off. Main army is Stormcast,  love the Idoneth models and lore. But never got the models.

With new job and the Battleforce coming out I'm thinking of either getting the Idoneth or the Duaghters of Khaine.  I would like advice on why Idoneth over DOK.

Like if anyone willing to say, how hard is stuff like the King's and the Eidolonls to make? I'm a bit worried by how fragile the look, the horses tentacles and the Eidolonl's cloak. I did years ago try to make with-aelfs and really struggled but that was years ago, and I've gotten better.  Still they look very fiddly. Hopefully Idoneth are easier. Hell I love the Morthai model but it looks so fragile.

Are Idoneth cheaper to buy. The DOK is better value but let's be honest after that, thier a VERY expensive army money wise. Well o.k Idoneth aren't much better but at least the eels make it a bit cheaper.

Last thing are Idoneth more, customisable in thier lists? Everyone who takes Duaghters takes massive blobs. I know the meta was for a while take swarms of eels but the Namatri are still viable aren't they?

On 11/7/2018 at 9:06 AM, BionicRope64 said:

Hi. Picking up on AOS again after a long time off. Main army is Stormcast,  love the Idoneth models and lore. But never got the models.

With new job and the Battleforce coming out I'm thinking of either getting the Idoneth or the Duaghters of Khaine.  I would like advice on why Idoneth over DOK.

Like if anyone willing to say, how hard is stuff like the King's and the Eidolonls to make? I'm a bit worried by how fragile the look, the horses tentacles and the Eidolonl's cloak. I did years ago try to make with-aelfs and really struggled but that was years ago, and I've gotten better.  Still they look very fiddly. Hopefully Idoneth are easier. Hell I love the Morthai model but it looks so fragile.

Are Idoneth cheaper to buy. The DOK is better value but let's be honest after that, thier a VERY expensive army money wise. Well o.k Idoneth aren't much better but at least the eels make it a bit cheaper.

Last thing are Idoneth more, customisable in thier lists? Everyone who takes Duaghters takes massive blobs. I know the meta was for a while take swarms of eels but the Namatri are still viable aren't they?

If you are not just a model collector, I have some advice. I bet DOK will be nerfed in Jan's FAQ and it is possible that DOK will become much less competitive as it is now since DOK have too few models and any big nerf will affect the whole race a lot.

Hi. I want to make my own custom version of the gloomtide shipwreck but i dont have any. Can anyone here with the model take some measurements for me please? im gonna need the overall width of the model and the lenght of the 2 ship's parts  when it is split  and when it is joined as a single model. 

I hope someone can help me. Thanks in advance.

So I had my second ever game with my fledgling deepkin last night. They are my second army after Khorne and I picked them for a different play style. I am glad I did.

Anyway, wow what a blast of a game. Played beastclaw, 1000 pts a side on a random scenario. Total bloodbath but great fun. Highlights include a stone horn whiffing his attacks so 6 thralls held him up a turn from my home objective, the priest deep striking  king and eels to capture a back objective and then they make a turn 2, 33 inch move (move+run+charge buff) to the centre objective and 1 shot a unit of mournfangs and wolves. Sadly couldn't take down the stonehorn so lost on objective points with 3 models left on the board at the end.

Now to plan my next purchases - definitely a unit of eels and the wreck, but then not sure ?

• LOVE IT! 1

Third ever deepkin game tonight. 1k v fyreslayers. Played open war scenario and ended in a draw at the end with my priest surviving a magmadroth charge in turn 5. Highlights included the Tidecaster casting balewind vortex, cogs and shackles to slow the stunties then having 3 spells a turn, king 1 shotting 17 fyreslayers on high tide, and eels being great as usual. The thralls actually made combat, but I sent them in too early so they didn't see high tide. Mainly both players had a great time. Here is the last moment of the game where the draw was made.

IMG_1946.JPG

Played a silly 1k game on Wednesday after a break from the hobby. Opponent was playing nighthaunt. 

My list 1 king, 1 AotStorm, 3 morsarr, 3 ishlaen. 

His list, 40 chainrasps, 20 bladeghast reapers, 1 Knight of shrouds, 1 wizard ghost, 1 buff ghost. (forgot the names). Plus pendulum spell. 

Scenario was total commitment. 

Turn 1 he cast pendulum and repositioned around his objectives. I moved slightly forward and also went for a turn one charge with AotStorm, which I got. Storm killed 6 chainrasps and suffered no wounds in return. 

I won the roll off for turn 2. Ran away with eidolon and got the rest of my army into three inch charge range. Made all charges and got the aspect into combat with both the unit and the Knight of shrouds. Fired off once per game morsarr. My guys killed all the chainrasps, using fish of destiny cloak I did 2d6 mortals to the knight (but only rolled 4). I suffered 1 wound to king, 2 to aspect, 1 to both units of eels. 

His turn 2 he charges the bladeghast, aspect takes 6 wounds. Hits back for 5.

I win roll for 3, opponent concedes. 

• Like 1