AoS 2 - Idoneth Deepkin Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Great game against Nurgle tonight. We played 1000 points IDK and 1000 points SCE vs. 2000 points of Nurgle.

This was the most fun with IDK yet. The game was close up to the 5th round but my highlight was when I took out his Great Unclean One turn three with an Akhelian King and two Ishlaen eels just after the same units had killed Festus the previous turn. At the end it was 19:26 in mission points for the Order team.

I ran an generic Akhelian King with Unstoppable Fury and Sanguine Pearl and I dare say it mght be even stronger than Volturnos.

12-1.jpg

12-2.jpg

12-3.jpg

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Hankster said:

They think they are one of most effective offensive units in game. 

Mathematically they definitely are. Their offensive efficiency is very above the curve, although it's becoming increasingly common for newer battletomes to feature one or two warscrolls in the same league. Morrsarr are also super fast which helps a ton.

On 9/21/2018 at 6:31 PM, LegioX217 said:

So maybe I should drop one of the infantry for a shark. Is Vulturnos and a Tisecaster too much for 1k? Or would an AoSea as the only hero be a viable 1k list?

Sharks look cool, but I've never found them to be very effective. When I play 1k, I usually go king lots of eels and a tidecaster or a shark.

I don't think you would have enough units I'd you took an AoStorm/sea. I don't usually take a Leviadon or and AofS unless it's 1.5-2k.

12 hours ago, DocKeule said:

Great game against Nurgle tonight. We played 1000 points IDK and 1000 points SCE vs. 2000 points of Nurgle.

This was the most fun with IDK yet. The game was close up to the 5th round but my highlight was when I took out his Great Unclean One turn three with an Akhelian King and two Ishlaen eels just after the same units had killed Festus the previous turn. At the end it was 19:26 in mission points for the Order team.

I ran an generic Akhelian King with Unstoppable Fury and Sanguine Pearl and I dare say it mght be even stronger than Volturnos.

12-1.jpg

12-2.jpg

12-3.jpg

Beautiful models! Thanks for sharing.

On 9/21/2018 at 2:00 AM, Unter said:

Spicy, but that's a hell of a lot of points.

Interesting points in there. I think the reason I'd favour the Witch Aelves is not bodies necessarily in a defensive sense, but another scary block that has to be dealt with. I think its sometimes overestimated how much utility a purely defensive unit has, and I'm a big believer in units needing to carry ‘threat’ in AoS.  Nevertheless, compelling and I’ll give it some thought for sure.

Agree also to your point about a lot of the Waelves scariness fading without 5+ rerollable save etc.

Sisters I’ve looked at a few times but I’m put off by their points cost and the unreliability of their spell. You should get a 6 to cast their spell off, but you’ll fail about a quarter of them, even if you can keep them out of dispel. I think they'd be worth consideration at 180 points or so. Given that turns 1/2/3 are the ones that decide the game, it wouldn't be ridiculous for you to fail the cast on t1, then be within dispel range by 3. Maybe Ionrach could help here? Don't think the allegiance ability would help them though

Besides, once your Ishlaen are in combat, they aren't getting another charge any time soon and their cover will dissapear on t2, also you don't get cover when you charge right? Leaving them on a 4+ rerollable, kicking wounds on a 6+. Not sure if this is "220pts good", compared to the output of Morsarr.

Again, food for thought, but it's gonna feel hella bad to not get the cast off

Sisters to make storm rerollable 3+ no rend. I'm still play testing, but it's good combo

18 hours ago, newsun said:

Sisters to make storm rerollable 3+ no rend. I'm still play testing, but it's good combo

It's just way too many points. You will fail the spell about 1/4 of the time, which is actually quite a lot, without even factoring in dispel, which you can't reliably hide from late game.

It is a cool combo, just think that 220 could go elsewhere.

Question for all you Undersea Aelves. 

I just picked up a eiodon. Should I build it a Storm or Sea? I'm not sure which would synergize best with a Akhelian based army. 

Currently I run variations of the following:

A King

6 Morrsarr 

6 Morrsarr 

6 Ishlaens 

(sometimes) 1-2 Sharks

(usually) Leviadon

Tidecaster 

Soulscryer

I focus on mobility to tag objectives and re-positioning to get charges off with my AK and Morrsarrs. I think it's what the Deepkin are the best at and it's a fun style to play. I also don't usually use a lot of magic since that's not really a Deepkin strength and few of the people I play with have magic focused armies. 

I'm thinking of getting more Morrsarrs and then basically running two attack wings of 9 Morrsarrs, one supported with the AK and on by of EoStorm. But I'm a little worried if I do that I'll be screwed if I ever play anyone with a magic focused army. 

What do you think? 

3 hours ago, Hankster said:

Question for all you Undersea Aelves. 

I just picked up a eiodon. Should I build it a Storm or Sea? I'm not sure which would synergize best with a Akhelian based army. 

Currently I run variations of the following:

A King

6 Morrsarr 

6 Morrsarr 

6 Ishlaens 

(sometimes) 1-2 Sharks

(usually) Leviadon

Tidecaster 

Soulscryer

I focus on mobility to tag objectives and re-positioning to get charges off with my AK and Morrsarrs. I think it's what the Deepkin are the best at and it's a fun style to play. I also don't usually use a lot of magic since that's not really a Deepkin strength and few of the people I play with have magic focused armies. 

I'm thinking of getting more Morrsarrs and then basically running two attack wings of 9 Morrsarrs, one supported with the AK and on by of EoStorm. But I'm a little worried if I do that I'll be screwed if I ever play anyone with a magic focused army. 

What do you think? 

It's up to you both have there pros and cons. Right now folks seems to be jazzed with the storm aspect. 

The sea one I think I'd only take in ionrach enclave.

On 9/26/2018 at 8:49 AM, Unter said:

It's just way too many points. You will fail the spell about 1/4 of the time, which is actually quite a lot, without even factoring in dispel, which you can't reliably hide from late game.

It is a cool combo, just think that 220 could go elsewhere.

Yeah this is my initial thought as well. Do get two attempts at a protection spell if desired, good mobility, 10w and decent shooting. As I have them built I'll keep play testing to see.

On 10/2/2018 at 10:28 AM, Charlo said:

Very quick question, do the Sylvaneth in the the "Alliance of Wood and Sea" Warscroll Battalion use up the allies points or not? 

My gut feeling is not as the Faction at the top is listed as Idoneth Deepkin.

They don’t you can still have additional allies.   I was thinking could make an interesting ionarch list.

Also the battalion gets enclave bonus as well.

32 minutes ago, Charlo said:

Really?! That can't be right... If so that's awesome.

54 minutes ago, Nerdkingdan said:

They don’t you can still have additional allies.   I was thinking could make an interesting ionarch list.

Also the battalion gets enclave bonus as well.

Even if it does I'm not sure how useful it would be, nothing in that battalion gives you anything better than you could have just by using pure Idoneth units. That said if you're keen on starting a Sylvaneth army, or coming from Sylvaneth to start an Idoneth army then it's a fun tool to support that.

So what are people leaning to nowadays? I hit a hobby slump, partially due to a newborn, and I'm ready to get some paint on my deepkin in preparation for 2019 tournaments. This was the last list I came up with a few months ago.

- Enclave: Ionrach
LEADERS
Spellweaver (100)
- Heartwood Staff
Eidolon of Mathlann, Aspect of the Sea (440)
- Artefact : Cloud of Midnight
- Lore of the Deeps : Pressure of the Deep
Akhelian King (240)
- General
- Command Trait : Unstoppable Fury
UNITS
20 x Eternal Guard (140)
20 x Eternal Guard (140)
6 x Akhelian Ishlaen Guard (280)
6 x Akhelian Ishlaen Guard (280)
6 x Akhelian Morrsarr Guard (320)
ENDLESS SPELLS
Balewind Vortex (40)

I wanted to try and counter some of the heavy-magic lists with this, or at least attempt to but it seems like I may as well just swap the AoSea for the Storm and drop the wanderers/spellweaver for more eels?

What do you folks think of evocator allies potentially in ionrach. 

They are abit more durable than morrsarr with the reroll 1s against shooting, and 8n ionrach they can also get cover. While morrsarr van hit turn one which is pretty big in thier favor. The evocators can  make it turn 2 turn and stay fighting through turn 3. Plus they get mortal wounds both turns. 

Damage wise the evocators do more damage per pts when you include the blast from the eels which means over multiple turns they'll be packing a bigger punch.  This damage was factoring in the chance of succeeding of failing to cast the thier spell.

Obviously the eels can hit turn 1 either from the line with a scryer point the way or by being dropped. The eels also can get pumped up by your choice of king turn 3. 

Both together probably wouldnt been to bad of a consideration. 

23 minutes ago, mmimzie said:

What do you folks think of evocator allies potentially in ionrach. 

I've considered this quite a bit honestly.  The only thing I really dont like is their move, but it might not be a problem would just have to test and see.

I do think you would want Morrsarr and Evocators in your list though, the threat range of Morrsarr can help you dictate engagements a lot easier.

59 minutes ago, Drofnum said:

I've considered this quite a bit honestly.  The only thing I really dont like is their move, but it might not be a problem would just have to test and see.

I do think you would want Morrsarr and Evocators in your list though, the threat range of Morrsarr can help you dictate engagements a lot easier.

Well again ionrach gets you past the speed issue alittle bit as you can run and charge turn 2. Plus the cover turn 1, and turn 3 attack first, but I definitely think both is a good option. Morrsarr go in turn 1, turn 2 evocators go in and morrsarr run. Then turn 3 both get stuck in. 

21 minutes ago, whispersofblood said:

Personally I've only looked at evocators as a way of transitioning away from Volturnos centric list construction.

Well definitely wouldnt want to do it with volturnous as you have to rock a normal king to get the command trait of ionrach.