AoS 2 - Idoneth Deepkin Discussion

Chris Tomlin

On 3/7/2021 at 10:16 PM, JackStreicher said:

The whole LRL shooting is one big BS. So yeah, it works because it‘s an ability.  🤷🏼‍♂️
indirekt Fire should never be allowed and there is no reason to grant it to a super strong horde Archer unit with 30“ range.

To me indirect fire makes sense with catapults like the plagueclaw. But making an archer unit able to snipe without visibility is kind of over the top.

On 3/10/2021 at 9:13 AM, Midjithero said:

Meh, the indirect fire part isn’t that bad.  The MWs on 5+ to hit is the stupid part.

That is one of the biggest beefs I have with AoS right now. The abilities to cause and shrug off mortal wound are very unevenly distributed.

On 3/10/2021 at 9:29 AM, JackStreicher said:

It‘s usually not a single rule that causes NPE but the stacking of several rules.

MWs on 5s itself is fine.

Being a Sorcerer Unit itself is fine.

Indirect fire is fine.

but all of it together and pretty low points for what they do, that‘s not fine.

Edit: And don‘t forget, they also have Artherquarts and totally busted magic support in Teclis. Who the hell wrote the LRL books and thought they would actually improve the AoS experience. It‘s hilarious imo how busted and NPE heavy this army is. 

My impression is that they are often so into the new stuff they just wrote that they don't think about how that is going to effect the balance of the game as a whole or if that contradicts older basic or army rules. Also the powercreep spiraled out of control (I would say) with the latest greenskin-armybook  with few exceptions.

Happy to share with you my first 1500 points of Idoneth Deepkin. In these strange times I bought, assembled and finished painitng all these models before playing my first gme with them. Its a great feeling hitting the table with a new army that is full painted (well almsot fully painted) . 

In fact I bought these models just as "Moranthi"dropped and decided to go for a built with a bit of everything insted of eels-only. I was very happy to read later on that sharks and turtles are now very viable.

I played my frst two games last week and was really happy with the playstyle and the power of the army. They suit my style very much (low count, high mobility). In fact, I am happy the army is not only eeals becasue that would be too powerful for the casual games we enjoy with my friends.

So, here they are. 

image.png.31deb1c64e80d62c23b315955667eeee.png

image.png.18af266d464fb1ca6c3f2ec51ffe1c63.png

image.png.07db2b0abbfeceec2d29b43cd361f813.png

image.png.6ff809ce959fbe91b5736e93796bfa8d.png

image.png.d070a63180baffcd3eb1ba6af7d855e4.png

image.png.fd411a09e42e269735999602772c109f.png

Edited by Planar
  • Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 3

So played in my second tourney this past Sunday with Deepkin.  Went a different strat, and allied in 3 Vandguard Longstrike Raptors and 6 Aetherwings.  LOVED the list, but I was dumb on second mission :) list was Volty, 3x3 Ishlann, 3 Morrsarr, 3 Harpoon Sharks, 1 Net Shark, Turtle with Ancient, Corps, 2x3 Aetherwings and 3 Longstrike Raptors.  

mission 1: Scorched Earth against Beastclaw Boulderhead with 3 Stonehorns.  Top of turn 1 I just put some wounds into everything in range, primarily using general and took my 4 objectives.  His turn 1, he charged into my line, but the raptors blocked the charge.  I got top of 2 and started shooting his mournfangs in the back, charged his general stonehorn with turtle and the turtle feasted!  His turn 2 he was very passive and didn’t charge me, only sent another stonehorn into the far far side which only had 3 Ishlann, mopping them up quickly.  Turn 3 I got priority and proceeded to get Domination by wiping his second stone horn and all of his mournfangs.  We played to turn 4, but I had all remaining objectives and win by points.  

game 2 Better Part of Valour against the one army I DIDNT want to play in this mission...Hermdar Fyreslayers!  I took first turn, caged myself pretty well on the left and middle objectives.  Went to his top left objectives with 3 morrsarr and killed the Vulkites holding it, securing the objective.  His turn 1, he tunneled in his Lodge HGB in front of my line, and I had screened the back thinking it was only board edge!!!  Ugh my bad :( he got the 9” charge onto Volty/Turtle/3Sharks and also got the double turn.  We fought until turn 5 as he had strung those HGB onto the left and middle objectives so I was shooting him with the net launcher and holding him between 2 points with 3 Ishlann each side.  Bottom of turn 4, a buddy comes over and tells us we had played the mission wrong all game and it was 3” objective not 6”!  But, he had wiped me by bottom of 4 and I never called burning my objectives.  So I gave him the win since we both played 6”.  Lesson learned!!

Game 3 Total Conquest against Kroak bleh!: he didn’t set up his terrain piece, so I set boats up on the V of his objective (game changer FYI).  I got first turn, so I rushed him with 3 squads of ishlann, trying to do some damage with battleshock to his skinks and also killed his Saugus guard covering Kroak and 2 wounds on Kroak from shooting.  I take the 2 side objectives as well.  His first turn he does some damage to the Ishlann, basically getting them each to 2-4 wounds total left, and he teleports the salamanders to the top right objective and takes it from the loan net shark.  I get priority and proceed to charge Kroaks line with the turtle and 3 sharks. Volty stays near and charges skinks.  Luckily everything is super close cuz I rolled 5 charge rolls of >4!  Morrsarr failed to reach the salamanders, and during shooting I softened up his skink priests.  Turtle and Volty impact hits delete remaining skinks in front of Kroak, so sharks pile into Kroak with turtle and eat him up and also reduce his total skinks to about 15 left on board (between 2 squads).  His turn he splits shots of salamanders to kill morrsarr and 1 harpoon shark, chameleons come on and shoot raptors and aetherwings, and he recaps bottom left with skinks.  Turn 3 I get priority again and move harpoon sharks towards salamanders but fail charge.  Volty retakes bottom left objective and all normal skinks dead at this point.  His turn 3 he takes bottom left objective again and we’re close on points, but he charges salamanders into harpoon sharks forgetting I get strikes first in his turn too so sharks eat them.  Turn 4 he’s got 1 priest left and chameleons but I win priority.  With that game is basically over as I have Volty at 3 wounds, 2 sharks, 2 Ishlann leaders, and full turtle. Was a solid game and he’s a great friend/opponent so I was happy for the win (especially cuz I hate lizards with a passion and always have). 

ended up 5th of 18 players.  Now I know to ask opponents if thier teleport mechanics are table edge or anywhere on board lol!  That was the game changer for game 2, not having birds in position to soak up the HGB charge.  Also all week I’ve been aaying in the group chat I didn’t want to fight Fyreslayers on mission 2 :( 

im loving IDK, as it has everything, mobility, great defense, little bit of shooting, strong melee.  Definitely weak against MW though, but that’s ok, everything needs a weakness.  

• Like 1

Hello, everyone!
I'm just starting my adventure with IDK - right now I'm looking for an optimal build for this army. Any opinions for the list below will be appreciated.

Allegiance: Idoneth Deepkin

Leaders
Volturnos, High King of the Deep (270)
- General
- Mount Trait: Voidchill Darkness

Battleline
3 x Akhelian Morrsarr Guard (170)
3 x Akhelian Ishlaen Guard (140)

Units
1 x Akhelian Allopexes (110)
- Retarius Net Launcher
- Retarius Net Launcher

Behemoths
Akhelian Leviadon (340)
- Mount Trait: Reverberating Carapace
Akhelian Leviadon (340)
- Mount Trait: Denizen of the Darkest Depths

Battalions
Akhelian Corps (100)
Akhelian Corps (100)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 104

• Like 1

A few thought- The Akhelian Corps is pretty flexible. You can fit everything except the 2nd Leviadon in there. I think you might be better served with some more units rather than the extra battalion. You'll already have 4 command points by the 3rd turn to spam the command ability if you want it with just one by then, which should be more than enough. You also don't have any characters to actually use the artifacts. Also, you are limited to only 1 extra command point purchase, and buying 2 and 2 battalions is a bit overkill with only one ability to use them.

I would go 

-1 turtle

-1 Corps

-2 CP's

+540 points of things you think are cool.

For just starting out, you have a very honed competitive list- This is wonderful, but the battletome is pretty balanced, with a lot of reasonable options. If you are really just setting out and are not purely a competitive player, I'd try some of the other stuff. Thralls, the Eidolons and a few of the heros all have good play to them. More sharks are also reasonable.  It would give you a better sense of what you want to play down the road. Also, you are likely to buy the start collecting to get some of the eels, so you'll probably have some thralls at least floating around. 

Edited by Frowny

@Frowny has already said the important stuff.

I wanted to add here, that if you really are new to AoS, don't go with a competitive net list. While it might win games for experienced players, in my opinion and (I have to admit, experience) there are 3 reasons not to do it: 1) it might not win you games at the beginning as some lists require experience of the game and knowledge of the faction, thus 2) it can be frustrating to start with a list everyone tells you should win but doesn't, and 3) your opponent, especially if he is new too, and you won't have a happy time as some lists simply aren't fun to play with and against but are purely tournament lists developed to win in a competitive setting.

20 hours ago, grucha said:

Hello, everyone!
I'm just starting my adventure with IDK - right now I'm looking for an optimal build for this army. Any opinions for the list below will be appreciated.

Leaders
- General

Battleline

Units
- Retarius Net Launcher
- Retarius Net Launcher

Behemoths
Akhelian Leviadon (340)
Akhelian Leviadon (340)

Battalions
Akhelian Corps (100)
Akhelian Corps (100)

If you chose Nautilar for your enclave you don't need the second battalion (they can field a second Leviadon in the Akhelian Corps). You could have one unit of two sharks instead.

Also I am not sure if you can buy more than one command point.

And on a personal note: For me the Ishlaen always do much more that the Morrsarr. 

21 hours ago, grucha said:

Hello, everyone!

Leaders
- General

Battleline

Units
- Retarius Net Launcher
- Retarius Net Launcher

Behemoths
Akhelian Leviadon (340)
Akhelian Leviadon (340)

Battalions
Akhelian Corps (100)
Akhelian Corps (100)

Two turtles are fine, but you can drop one Corps Battalion. 

Also, I think that you would need more characters for some missions. Maybe dropping one unit of eels and adding one Soulscryer with the cloack.

I recently finished another unit of three eels, but they don't 'feel' right compared to my Leviadon, which I am very happy with. I don't know why it is. It might be due to the colour choice on the eels, I'm not really sure. It might also be due to my unuasually messy paint job. Thoughts would be much appreciated.  Sorry for the horredous quality of the pictures, hopefully they are good enough quality?

Spoiler

IMG_1926.jpg.f795dd1db0d7ec9fe26ab946e9358be6.jpgIMG_1925.jpg.927ee3022d52c46764d480aa017b1781.jpgIMG_1923.jpg.ba431c8d3614a881beb69a76e57fd36a.jpgIMG_1919.jpg.299e8139bb47ab7124cf133eb2589ecb.jpg

• Like 1

I would need to see your other units and leviadon in order to compare for differences. Anyhow, when looking at your eels in the pictures, I have to admit I do like the dark color scheme. I think overall dark schemes like yours are difficult to pull off, however.

I would either go for a lighter eyecatcher, e.g. some details like fins, etc., or object sourced lighting (the eels come with a variety of options in form of lamps, the shields, spears, etc.), or a starker highlight on most parts of the model like skin and armor (but keeping the overall dark primary colors).

This, and the base needs some more flavor, imo. Rocks, corals, a wave patterned seafloor, etc.

I hope I could help.

• Thanks 1

Large areas of skin on the shark and eel models are difficult to get right, especially if you want to get equal looks on a lot of models or are very perfectionist.

I would suggest to stick with an easy pattern that you can sketch out with a pencil and put in color later. Ideally you do a whole unit at once to avoid too big variety. Alternatively, you go for a random pattern by drybrushing, washing, stipulating, or airbrushing.

Ultimately, real eels come in a huge variety of colors, from plain brown-grey to mesmerizing color patterns (google for snowflake eel, for example) and nature does no pattern twice, so be happy with whatever results you can produce.

Thanks for all of your input. I am now in the process of adding brighter spot colours and making the skin and highlights brighter, and it already looks a lot better. 

I completely agree wth your points about the base. Do you know of any companies/sculpting tecniques that I could use to get the effect?

Thank you so much!

I really love the paint job on the models from White Metal Games. They used a similar dark color scheme like you did on your models. I did not go for the under-water style with my own army but I guess I would unpack my old airgun and get going. With an airbrush you can achieve a coherent feeling across the whole miniature which is important as you put the general color scheme behind the more prominent lighter and darker "wave pattern". The same goes for the base. 

However, I think you can pull this off with just drybrushing, especially if you want to do the pattern only on the base and go for a more classical approach on the miniature itself. The blueish tint and the dark colors on the mini would support an under-water feeling even if there is no explicit wave-pattern.

For stones on the base I always used small natural chisels and rocks that I incorporate into the overall base and sand/technical color from GW. I use corals and fish from the IDK sprues.

Lastly, I have to add that I am in no way a professional painter, thus, my advice is purely my opinion on how I would approach this issue. No guarantee that this will work... 😅

da36b608910bb76a478101895c9f6ff9.jpg

• Like 1

As crazy and awful as it sounds, is it possible to build a deathstar type IDK army focusing on buffing and resurrecting namarti thralls? 

Ive theory crafted a little bit and it would be the namarti corps battalion with maybe 1 extra soulrender. A leviadon and then an eidolon of sea or storms/maybe both?

A pretty big bubble of re-roll 1 to hit and wound on the already killy as hell namarti would increase their damage by a lot. Mor'phann enclave so im resurrecting a minimum of 9+d3 namrti each phase. along with the cover from the leviadon. soulrenders to herohunt and Storm aspect kills everything else. Maybe Lotann too since hes cheap and would bring namarti bravery to 10 and allow me to be more flexible and not have to pack so tight around the levaidon

Edited by Deadrixc

2 hours ago, Deadrixc said:

A pretty big bubble of re-roll 1 to hit and wound on the already killy as hell namarti would increase their damage by a lot. Mor'phann enclave so im resurrecting a minimum of 9+d3 namrti each phase. along with the cover from the leviadon. soulrenders to herohunt and Storm aspect kills everything else. Maybe Lotann too since hes cheap and would bring namarti bravery to 10 and allow me to be more flexible and not have to pack so tight around the levaidon

What you have to remember is you're only returning these in YOUR battleshock phase.  If you have big enough blocks to ensure they arent being destroyed in a round it could work but thats the risk and problem with the Souldrenders ability.

2 hours ago, Velmates said:

Right now I don't have the time to calculate points but I would be interested if you could just come up with a fleshed out list and see what else could fit in 2000 points apart from the named units and characters.

I just threw it into warscroll builder and you will have 400 points left

- Enclave: Mor'Phann

Leaders
Eidolon of Mathlann, Aspect of the Storm (330)
- Artefact: Cloud of Midnight
Isharann Soulrender (80)
- General
- Command Trait: Lord of Storm and Sea
Lotann, Warden of the Soul Ledgers (70)

Battleline
30 x Namarti Thralls (320)
10 x Namarti Thralls (120)
10 x Namarti Reavers (120)
10 x Namarti Reavers (120)

Behemoths
Akhelian Leviadon (340)