AoS 2 - Idoneth Deepkin Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Hi. I have a question regarding the Fuethan ability ‘Fiercest of creatures’. It says that you can re-roll wound rolls of one for mounts, but there isn’t a mount section in the description on any of the warscrolls. I was assuming that the warscrolls were old so it didn’t have the mount section, but now with the Leviadon and Allopexes, I’m not sure. So what can we re-roll?

Thanks

Edited by LordRhulak

4 hours ago, LordRhulak said:

Hi. I have a question regarding the Fuethan ability ‘Fiercest of creatures’. It says that you can re-roll wound rolls of one for mounts, but there isn’t a mount section in the description on any of the warscrolls. I was assuming that the warscrolls were old so it didn’t have the mount section, but now with the Leviadon and Allopexes, I’m not sure. So what can we re-roll?

Thanks

So, RAW, it doesn’t list the Sharks and Turtles as “mounts”.  RAI, they are mounts...

we are just waiting on a Marathi book FAQ to clarify...but in all honesty, why would a Turtle not be a mount for purposes of Fuethán rules, but it’s a mount for purposes of Mount Traits?!?!?

seems just to be GW inconsistent rules writing.

• Thanks 1

On 11/28/2020 at 3:21 PM, mrteige said:

Time for another Batrep guys and gals.

This time its my IDK list vs. LRL

First off i want to apologize for the stand ins. My Turtle is in the mail and i am rebasing my army at the minute so there will be a lot of bases and not so many figures in this one. Hope you will still get a kick out of it though. ;)
(Lotann on a 120mm base is the turtle, 2 Gore Gruntas are net launching sharks, 6 empty bases are harpoon sharks, 10 Namarti Reavers are Sentinels)

The armies:
IDK
- Enclave: Fuethan

Leaders
Akhelian King (230)- General- Bladed Polearm- Command Trait: Lord of Storm and Sea - Artefact: Cloud of Midnight - Mount Trait: Voidchill Darkness
Isharann Soulscryer (130)

Battleline
3x3 Akhelian Ishlaen Guard (140) (420)

Units
2x3 Akhelian Allopexes (330) (660)- Razorshell Harpoon
2 x Akhelian Allopexes (220)
- Retarius Net Launcher

Behemoths
Akhelian Leviadon (340)

Total: 2000 / 2000

LRL
- Great Nation: Zaitrec

Leaders
Archmage Teclis and Celennar, Spirit of Hysh (660)
Scinari Cathallar (140)- General- Command Trait: Fast Learner - Artefact: Gift of Celennar - Lore of Hysh: Lambent Light

Battleline
3x10 x Vanari Auralan Wardens (120)
- Lore of Hysh: Ethereal Blessing, Speed of Hysh, Lambent Light
3x10 x Vanari Auralan Sentinels (140)
- Lore of Hysh: Ethereal Blessing, Speed of Hysh, Lambent Light

Units
5 x Vanari Dawnriders (130)- Lore of Hysh: Speed of Hysh

Battalions
Auralan Legion (120)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Umbral Spellportal (70)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (60)
Prismatic Palisade (30)

Total: 1990 / 2000

Battleplan:
Shifting Objectives in Gyran

The Battle:

Turn 1 (far right objective is the primary)

1.jpg.c64f365db7f05129f19a562274c58274.jpg

LRL:
Lumineth gets all of their spells of, dealing a  bunch of chip damage to my units, buffs mortal wounds on sentinels, 5+DPR from Teclis, Speed on a unit of wardens and whatever else they can do.
They move up and takes middle and primary objective.
In the shooting phase I use cloud of midnight so only 1 unit can shoot and it kills 2 Ishlaen guards.

IDK:

I fly my Ishlaen guards up to sit on all 3 objectives, My sharks in position to shoot, my Turtle up to buff and stupidly my King up to charge. (he should have been held back inside the boat if I had a redo) Lastly I bring my 2 sharks and the scryer in because m opponent gave me 2 units of Sentinels to charge.
In the shooting phase i shoot down 5 Sentinels and 6 Wardens.
I charge my unit of 2 sharks, 3 ishlaen guards and 3 sharks into wardens and Sentinels. I kill the last 4 Wardens and, with the 2 sharks, I kill an entire unit of Sentinels and trap the other unit due to netting.

7-4 IDK

Round 2 (far left objective is primary)2.jpg.c84c5b947ba77d7a588a65a37e207ac3.jpg

LRL
They keep blasting me with magic. Kills off the King and chips of wounds on all other units exept 3 eels and the scryer. They get the rest of their nonsence off including making my turtle and my net Sharks stupid
10 Wardens and the dawnriders move to the middle, 10 Wardens move to the right objective and the 10 Sentinels move back.
All the shooting kills 1 Net shark and charges from the 20 Wardens kills another 2 sharks and 2 eels. Sharks kills 15 wardens in total. 1 of the units of sharks runs away but the other 2 units makes their battleshock rolls of a 1 or a 2 to stay one the board.

IDK
Ok. Now I need to kill things and do it fast.
my 1 eel in the middle switches positions with the 3 on the left and the rest of my army stay put.
Shooting thins out the wardens bringing them down to 1 pr. unit. The combat phase finishes them off.

12-6 IDK

Turn 3 (primary objective is in the middle)

3.jpg.224e0a121ea5f90b4fec2bc661aac152.jpg

IDK
My Turn is pretty straight forward. I move my sharks and 3 eels in to the middle of the board, moves the scryer close to the 3 eels and let the 2 units of 1 eel stand on objectives.
My turtle and my net Shark are still stupid so they just hang around doing nothing.
In the shooting phase i shoot everything im allowed to shoot with at the Dawnriders and afterwards charges them.
They die and I collect max points.

LRL
My opponent calls it here because he cant come back on points.

19-6 IDK

Super fun game and this was without a doubt my biggest test with this list. The MWs can really do a number on these guys, but its nice to see that the speed , shooting and CC dam output + the cloud of midnight can still cause armies to many problems to handle.

LOVE these reports keep em coming!

Quick question, do you think against some armies that having a 9 drop list will be an issue?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, W1tchhunter said:

LOVE these reports keep em coming!

Quick question, do you think against some armies that having a 9 drop list will be an issue?

Thanks and I will.

No doubt it will be a problem. It was here against LRL, but for the most part i am not that worried who gets the first turn and in a lot of ways that is why I like this list. Its build to function against almost anything (except MW spam). My focus when I build it was really to counter the shooting meta and ignore the magic meta, but it seems to function pretty well against anything. You just gotta have your 12" bubble in mind all the time.

The king is there to give out the rr 1's TH bubble and to negate a round of shooting.

The scryer does what the scryer does.

The Ishlaen guards are my tanks. They have stood up against Flamer shooting and Terrorgheist charges so far. They are SO durable it is almost laughable.

The sharks shoot down screens or stray chars, stops units from piling and are really good on the charge.

The turtle gives the +1 save bubble, shoot down screens and stray chars and is extremely dangerous on the charge. Especially against monsters.

• Like 1

I've found the number of drops I want depends on the power projection of my opponent.  I prefer to go a second usually, especially against armies that lack movement or rely on close combat it allow me to use turn 1 to set up  for turn 2 charges for anything they overextend.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Molkaice said:

I've found the number of drops I want depends on the power projection of my opponent.  I prefer to go a second usually, especially against armies that lack movement or rely on close combat it allow me to use turn 1 to set up  for turn 2 charges for anything they overextend.

It is nice having the choice. With less drops you could also dictate the order and have your opponent go first if that suits you. 

19 hours ago, mrteige said:

Of course i would love to dictate who gets the first turn but i dont feel like i need a battalion for my army to function better. on the contrary i actually feel like this army would loose some of its punch if i did so but maybe thats just me.

It is not a necessity most of the time but the one re-roll per phase and the extra artifact can come in handy when the strategy relies on certain dicerolls.

Something completely different: Has anyone tried to have the reversing of the tide and Volturnos'/the king's command ability in the same game? It would be doable if the Tidecaster died before the IDKs second turn and Volturnos or the generic king was made the new General to pop his ability in the hero phase.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, DocKeule said:

It is not a necessity most of the time but the one re-roll per phase and the extra artifact can come in handy when the strategy relies on certain dicerolls.

That is true and I will definitely be trying the Akhelian Corps but for right now I am trying to get a few more games in with the non Battlion list first. Just to see how it fares against the top meta.

4 hours ago, DocKeule said:

Something completely different: Has anyone tried to have the reversing of the tide and Volturnos'/the king's command ability in the same game? It would be doable if the Tidecaster died before the IDKs second turn and Volturnos or the generic king was made the new General to pop his ability in the hero phase.  

Has this been changed? As far as I know, in matched play, you do not choose a new general after your initial general dies.

Something I haven't seen discussed yet (maybe it has and I just missed it) but which enclave is better for an akhelian heavy list: Dhom Hain or Fuethan?

Also something that has been on my mind with the recent changes to the turtle is it possible make a working defensive list.  like a bunch of shield eels with turtles and some namarti as hammers? Would this make the Nautilar a possibly good tank faction?

I think the idea of zipping to a spot and sitting on a point with 2+ unrendable units is interesting.

I suppose issue is that you might quite easily be outnumbered on objectives and while you wont die much you could potentially lack enough punch to take out the opposing units. But the power pair of new leviadon + ishlaen guard is clearly a great asset to our army

Got my first game in with the BR: Morathi rules for IDK, I faced Stormcast with some of their new rules as well.  I really wanted to test the Leviadon and Allopex out.  

I have been running Dhom Hain preciously, but switched to Fuethan to get a feel for the new rules.  

my list: 

Akhelian King with Bladed Polearm, Lord of Storm and Sea, Cloud of Midnight, Voidchill Darkness.  

Soulscryer

2 x Ishlaen Guard units of 3

1 x Morrsarr Guard of 6 and one of 3

1 x Allopex unit of 3

Leviadon with Reverberating Carapace

Akhelian Corp

Extra CP

Battleplan was Total Conquest

I gave SCE the top of turn, he moved his Drakesworn and Concussors up backed by a unit of 10 Retributors towards the horizontal objective on my side of the board.  In my turn I killed off two Vanguard Hunters and put some wounds on the Retirbutors with shooting.  I won the roll off and gave him the top of turn 2 again, which he moved his Drakesworn and Concussors in to charge range .  My Ishlaen took some mortals from the Rain of Stars/Storm Blasts.  He charged in with his Drakesworn and did 0 damage to my Allopex unit and 1 damage to my Ishlaen with his Concussors.  I killed off a Concussor with my Ishlaen and one of the Allopex in the unit of three.  The other two put 7 or 8 damage into the Drakesworn (they were not getting extra bite attacks).   In my turn two I shot off some Freeguild Handgunners with my turtle and did some damage to the Star drake with Allopex harpoons.  I then charged my King and was able to finish off the Stardrake and Concussors with the Allopexes and King.  I ended up winning the roll off and the writing was on the wall.  The turtle charged in with the Akhelian King and Allopexes into the big Retributor unit and pasted them.  I wanted to see the output of the Leviadon and between him and the King, they almost killed what was the left of the unit, which the Allopexes finished off.  I still had my Soulscryer and 6 Morrsarr off the board and hadn’t even charged my MSU of Morrsarr and he only had a unit of Liberators, and what wasn’t shot off of the handgunners, and handful of SCE heroes.  So he conceded there.  

Since I ran my other unit of Ishlaen to the objective across the board from my deployment, they didn’t see combat either.  Basically my Leviadon, Allopexes, King, and one unit of Ishlaen did about 65 wounds worth of damage, and I didn’t lose a model.  I really like the Allopexes, but the turtle was the MVP.  Giving the +1 Save in 15” is huge and getting to three drops is amazing with Deepkin.  These changes feel really strong and getting some damage in during the shooting phase feels good to soften up big units.  Overall, really happy and hoping to get more games in soon.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Molkaice said:

Something I haven't seen discussed yet (maybe it has and I just missed it) but which enclave is better for an akhelian heavy list: Dhom Hain or Fuethan?

Also something that has been on my mind with the recent changes to the turtle is it possible make a working defensive list.  like a bunch of shield eels with turtles and some namarti as hammers? Would this make the Nautilar a possibly good tank faction?

I think the idea of zipping to a spot and sitting on a point with 2+ unrendable units is interesting.

I think I would go with Dhom Hain because missing out on being able to retreat and charge in turn four is too much of a downside. 

As for a defensive list...that would be possible but I would only use it in narrative play with a fitting story. Otherwise it would be missing out on the main ability of the IDK.

Edited by DocKeule

hey team! 

does anyone have any nice warscroll cards & gaming aids (spell cards etc) that they have access to? Just doing my best to make my gaming a bit better for myself & my opponents, getting there with my army 🙂

failing that does anyone know of any good templates?

some of my army so far 🙂  not too much to go until 2kimage.png.a7a5092688f96005b3073a11a8ab12d1.png

image.png.63bdc83e5d2dbb991a6488401d496628.png

image.png.40af8c08aeba706a53a2c7908980abec.png

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Tizianolol said:

Guys i have question about drench with hate aspect of the storm ability. Can the eidalon of mathlann himself benefit from this aura? Thx a lot guys!

Yes it affects him since he also has the IDONETH DEEPKIN key word. His main attacks are already wounding on 2+ though (and a roll of 1 is always a fail) so in practice its only the Sharp Fang attacks that wounds on 3+. Although the aura does help to mitigate any potential de-buffs that would give him penalties to his wound roll.

• Like 1