AoS 2 - Idoneth Deepkin Discussion

Chris Tomlin

7 minutes ago, baiardo said:

On paper the shark looks good to me, what would it need?

From personal Experience at least the leviadon from the akhelian corps to give at least 1 re-roll, but if you can have the Akhelian King follow them around telling them to hit better then that’s the best support you can give IMO.  If you can afford it then the Eidolon of the storm is great for re-rolling wounds, but usually you cannot afford one in a list.

• Like 1

Hey, I'm considering starting a IDK force soon in order to do something different than my Tzeentch, and they drew my eye based on a few things:

I like the speed and ability to pick fights, can start some units in reserve, many of the models have grown on me, and I can have a functional army without hordes to paint and the eels look like they will be great for airbrushing.

Although this might be not a great time to start them with the rumours of changes coming, I doubt they would be nerfed into oblivion, and with already p;aying Tzeentch I really don't want to start another top meta army like Seraphon or Lumineth.

Anyway, here's what I was thinking for 1000 points, mainly eels:

Akhelian King
6x Morrsarr Guard
3x Morrsarr Guard
3x Ishlaen Guard
10 Namarti Reavers

That comes in at 1000 points on the dot and only 23 models. What do you guys think as far as it being a good starting point to build from and get to know the army?

Thanks for the advice.

On 9/21/2020 at 6:00 PM, Chronos said:

Hey, I'm considering starting a IDK force soon in order to do something different than my Tzeentch, and they drew my eye based on a few things:

I like the speed and ability to pick fights, can start some units in reserve, many of the models have grown on me, and I can have a functional army without hordes to paint and the eels look like they will be great for airbrushing.

Although this might be not a great time to start them with the rumours of changes coming, I doubt they would be nerfed into oblivion, and with already p;aying Tzeentch I really don't want to start another top meta army like Seraphon or Lumineth.

Anyway, here's what I was thinking for 1000 points, mainly eels:

Akhelian King
6x Morrsarr Guard
3x Morrsarr Guard
3x Ishlaen Guard
10 Namarti Reavers

That comes in at 1000 points on the dot and only 23 models. What do you guys think as far as it being a good starting point to build from and get to know the army?

Thanks for the advice.

you migth also want to consider swapping reavers for thralls, then you can start off a start collecting box. personally I don't find the thralls particularly competitive but they look cool and gives you at least something apart from eels :)

• Like 1

Thank you for the replies. Funnily enough I was out buying some models just now to get things going.

I did get the Reavers, mainly because I just really like the models so I will probably try and make them work. If not at least I'll enjoy painting with them. I feel like they could surprise some people and maybe pick off a support hero in turn two or soften up a target for the eels. They effectively have a 17" range for the three shots and with a re-roll run... probably going to bump that to 20". Turn two maybe run and shoot and get 3-5 wounds down on something, maybe more if they are low armor. If they get shot, or I lose them then that's less focus on the eels. Just what I figure I'll try, maybe they'll be awful.

As for another hero, I could change the core of the list to:

2x3 Morrsarr
1x3 Ishlaen
10 Reavers

Then I could either do Volturnos and a Soulscryer for 1000 points, or take a King, Tidecaster, and Lotann also for 1000 points.Or don't take Lotann and take an extra command point.

Pretty excited to get going, thanks for the advice.

21 hours ago, Chronos said:

Thank you for the replies. Funnily enough I was out buying some models just now to get things going.

I did get the Reavers, mainly because I just really like the models so I will probably try and make them work. If not at least I'll enjoy painting with them. I feel like they could surprise some people and maybe pick off a support hero in turn two or soften up a target for the eels. They effectively have a 17" range for the three shots and with a re-roll run... probably going to bump that to 20". Turn two maybe run and shoot and get 3-5 wounds down on something, maybe more if they are low armor. If they get shot, or I lose them then that's less focus on the eels. Just what I figure I'll try, maybe they'll be awful.

As for another hero, I could change the core of the list to:

2x3 Morrsarr
1x3 Ishlaen
10 Reavers

Then I could either do Volturnos and a Soulscryer for 1000 points, or take a King, Tidecaster, and Lotann also for 1000 points.Or don't take Lotann and take an extra command point.

Pretty excited to get going, thanks for the advice.

Lothan is my favorite model in all of AoS, really a shame is not really an option to play. Go for tidecaster and extra command point.

Hi everyone

Just considering to take the plunge into ID mostly for modelling / collecting reasons (I find the models gorgeous in their hyperbole-I mean...flying sharks !!!!)

My question is, are there any  viable lists that are not totally dominated by eels? After studying the book, it seems that eels are two leagues above anything else but I dont want to be painitng more than 6 of those dudes. Especially with the Eidolon and the flyng turtles/ flying sharks as potential models to be included. 

I am not looking into building something top tier. Most of my gaming is casual with the odd local tournament. I need something that has a viable gaming chance  that includes as many of our beautiful models as possbile.

Any ideas/ insight would be greatly appreciated!

23 minutes ago, Planar said:

Any ideas/ insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thats my list with the same goals in mind - ok, 12 eels, but with every game I play, I want more eels... 🥴

Allegiance: Idoneth Deepkin
- Enclave: Dhom-Hain
Akhelian King (230)
- General
- Bladed Polearm
- Command Trait: Born From Agony
- Artefact: Sanguine Pearl
Eidolon of Mathlann, Aspect of the Storm (360)
- Artefact: Cloud of Midnight
Isharann Soulscryer (130)
3 x Akhelian Ishlaen Guard (140)
6 x Akhelian Morrsarr Guard (340)
3 x Akhelian Morrsarr Guard (170)
1 x Akhelian Allopexes (100)
- Razorshell Harpoon
10 x Namarti Reavers (120)
Akhelian Leviadon (310)
Akhelian Corps (100)

2 hours ago, Sonnenspeer said:

Thats my list with the same goals in mind - ok, 12 eels, but with every game I play, I want more eels... 🥴

Thanks @Sonnenspeer

I feel you. I have been stubornly tryying to play Ironjawz with brutes  instead 100000000 ardboyz  😆. Its a futile exercise. At least the eels are nice models

So how ow does your list fare so far? any particular weaknesses/ strong points?

8 hours ago, Sonnenspeer said:

- Enclave: Dhom-Hain
Akhelian King (230)
- General
- Bladed Polearm
- Command Trait: Born From Agony
- Artefact: Sanguine Pearl
Eidolon of Mathlann, Aspect of the Storm (360)
- Artefact: Cloud of Midnight
Isharann Soulscryer (130)
3 x Akhelian Ishlaen Guard (140)
6 x Akhelian Morrsarr Guard (340)
3 x Akhelian Morrsarr Guard (170)
1 x Akhelian Allopexes (100)
- Razorshell Harpoon
10 x Namarti Reavers (120)
Akhelian Leviadon (310)
Akhelian Corps (100)

Love this list 😍. God I hope the Morathi book makes list building viable in competitive formats with the Eidolon and Turtle!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Came into some IDK recently and have been loving painting them. So decided to try and make the cheapest 2k list possible. (Started with the eidolon and some thralls).

Always wanted to use Gotrek in an army and this seems the way to go.

- Enclave: Ionrach
Mortal Realm: Ghur

Leaders
Akhelian King (230)
- General
- Bladed Polearm
Isharann Soulscryer (130)
Isharann Tidecaster (100)
- Artefact: Augury Shells
- Lore of the Deeps: Arcane Corrasion
Gotrek Gurnisson (520)
- Allies
Eidolon of Mathlann, Aspect of the Storm (360)

Battleline
10 x Namarti Thralls (120)
10 x Namarti Thralls (120)
6 x Akhelian Morrsarr Guard (340)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Chronomantic Cogs (80)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 520 / 400
Wounds: 81

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for a new army to oppose my friend's Lumineth and I've been considering Idoneth (I've been considering a lot, I'll be honest). I'm just curious. I like Allopex... Allopexes? Allopexi? And Namarti. I don't want to go eel-heavy (even though I know that's The Thing). I have to ask: what Enclave would support that sort of army best? Further, how well do you all think I would do against Lumineth?

Thanks for any answers in advance!

Edit: I'm also considering adding Bundo Whalebiter in partly to continue the nautical theme and partly as a big target to soak enemy fire.

Edited by Thalassic Monstrosity

On 10/11/2020 at 11:15 PM, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for a new army to oppose my friend's Lumineth and I've been considering Idoneth (I've been considering a lot, I'll be honest). I'm just curious. I like Allopex... Allopexes? Allopexi? And Namarti. I don't want to go eel-heavy (even though I know that's The Thing). I have to ask: what Enclave would support that sort of army best? Further, how well do you all think I would do against Lumineth?

Edit: I'm also considering adding Bundo Whalebiter in partly to continue the nautical theme and partly as a big target to soak enemy fire.

Well I hope you give Bundo a snorkel 😂

As far as the enclave goes: Fuethán would be the traditional choice for an cavalry-heavy list although I personally think that missing out on the Ebb Tide is a huge disadvantage. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Quick question and reflection:

I have been playing Meeting Engagements (before lockdown), and usually stay around the 1000-1250pt mark.

I play Deepkin (Dhomhain - I have always loved the Realm of Beasts) and also Fyre Slayers.

I noticed that the Fyreslayers were really able to get on to an objective and hold it, whereas with the IDK I felt that my strategy was to aggressively take objectives then retreat and retake if needed.

Is this something that you also experience, or do you use specific units for holding objectives?

On 10/11/2020 at 10:15 PM, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

Hi everyone!

That sounds like a fun theme!

Using the Ionrach enclave would give Bundo the Tides of Death.

Maybe worth considering!

• Thanks 1