AoS 2 - Idoneth Deepkin Discussion

Chris Tomlin

On 6/26/2020 at 8:56 AM, Sonnenspeer said:

AND A BATTLE CRAB!!!

Would really like a hero standing on top of a manta ray - powerful melee think light of eltharion on a manta ray or powerful caster on top of the manta ray, maybe the manta ray is the powerful caster, - perhaps a combo of both for a new hero

then some endless spells water focussed - think they could be awesome looking like lore of the deeps magic in tw:wh2

Then elite akhelian foot troops,  heavy armoured slow moving but can teleport during flood tide, the tide can lift them up move them a long distance....Would open some nice combos with reverse tide/ normal tide and feutan.

having elite infantry may be The best way to move away / provide a new option from the elite cav in eels.

Beyond this there’s still so much creative scope for deepkin - think kraken, poisedon type giant, crabs, water based dinosaurs?

got to hope there will be a second ‘wave’ of releases at some point the design space is huge.

• Like 1

Countless possibilities.

By the way, has anyone tried or seen someone trying to build eel-people from the Akhelian Guards? Like, glue the tails on the bodies of the riders with a lot of greenstuff in between... ?

Or is the size difference between eel and rider too big?

Edited by Beastmaster

10 hours ago, Sonnenspeer said:

You should glue an Akhelian to his back :)

I don't think Fred would appreciate that. (The female's name is Wilma)

9 hours ago, Kitsumy said:

I know it wont happen but i would love to se aelves mermaid with proper long hair, not more baldy blind boys plss

Archer mermaids multibuild to melee one with shield and spear and armor

I would rather have it going the other way. The rumors of the Cthulhu elves sounded much more interesting to me than what the IDK turned out to be in the end.

21 hours ago, Toptramp said:

having elite infantry may be The best way to move away / provide a new option from the elite cav in eels.

In Court of the Blind King one enclave deploys Akhelian knights in full plate armor (Ishlean and Morsarr wear half plate armor. Full plate= Akhelian king).

that‘d be an amazing army

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grudgebearer said:

The one important question that comes up now is how will IDK fare against LRL? I think Lumineth will be a really tough matchup for IDK, almost impossible to win with all that minuses to hit in Melee and immense mortal wound output 😱

Yeah I think its going to be impossible to beat a skilled LRL player. If they go stone build then our eels lose their rend and don't have enough damage. We have no real way to stop Teclis dropping mortals all over the place.  

Then you look at the bravery stuff. We kill 20 wardens, then the calathar makes us take battleshock as if we most all those models. The cp spell they have shuts down our ability to use inspiring presence and means we wont have the cp for buffing up turn 3.

I'm not really surprised though. Our book is comfortably over two years old now. Only DoK, LoN and Maggotkin are older. Older books often start to fall down due to powercreep.  Plus we were always reliant on a single key build that covered from our battletome being weak in many areas.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, whispersofblood said:

IDK are one of the best positioned factions at the moment they are just a bit one dimensional. 

33 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

You both are right yet @HollowHills has a point though.

I get what you mean. An eel spam list using morsarr,  volturnous and maybe an aspect of the storm probably has a win ratio of just over 50% . Balance wise that's pretty good. Generally the strengths of those lists and the weaknesses are fairly even.

Problem 1) our win ratios has been steadily trending downwards and each time a new battletome comes out (particularly obr and now lrl) our strengths are worse than they were before.

Problem 2) If you run any kind of non meta list, say thralls and reverse tide, our win ratio would probably be in the bottom tier. This also has the sad side effect of meaning that despite having loads of amazing "new" plastic kits, most never see the light of day.

Problem 3) Most of the actual rules from our battletome are dead. Command traits? Volturnous will probably be your general. Artifacts? Malign sorcery ones are all better. Spells? Too unreliable and too weak. Rituals? Happens once in a blue moon. Battalions? What's that? 

Problem 4) A lot of the intended synergies just don't work. The soul render thrall dynamic is pretty much impossible. Lotann gives buffs that are much easier to get elsewhere etc.

Luckily I do think most of these issues are easy to fix. Just got to sit tight and wait for our second tome.

• Like 2

It is nice to see this thread so active with my fellow Fishy Boiz! I think LRL will be hard for anyone to defeat. Can you imagine using a standard army that is magic heavy like Gloomspite....just leave your casters at home :p.  A solid player will definitely have Mr. T (I pity the foul who doesn't think the Teclis mini is ugly) protected from the Scryer. After seeing how ugly Teclis is I realise how bald and beautiful our minis are lmao. 

Something I love about Eels is how if you run a bunch of Eels you can still throw in some fun units and play semi competitive. I regularly throw in a Prime or Eidolon or Turtle  and it balances out to a semi-competitive list. I think when playing games not in a tourney it doesn't feel oppressive for my opponent. Playing a tooled up Tzeentch list for example is not fun for most but Deepkin lists usually feel like you have a chance. We are by no means OP but I think we can still do well in major events by playing the objectives. That said, our Tome is feeling the power creep and I think it will continue to do so. I am excited for a new tome not because I want to smash all the LRL and OBR players out there but I just want to have more variety. 

• LOVE IT! 2

2 hours ago, HollowHills said:

Problem 4) A lot of the intended synergies just don't work. The soul render thrall dynamic is pretty much impossible. Lotann gives buffs that are much easier to get elsewhere etc.

The whole Namarti problem would be solved by just giving their weapons 2" reach. Bigger blobs would be feasible which would then leave a unit to bring back models to for the Soulrender. 

But I agree that concerning synergies the IDK never have been in a good spot even when the army was new.

11 hours ago, DocKeule said:

The whole Namarti problem would be solved by just giving their weapons 2" reach. Bigger blobs would be feasible which would then leave a unit to bring back models to for the Soulrender. 

But I agree that concerning synergies the IDK never have been in a good spot even when the army was new.

* the Soulrender Aura would need to be increased as well

With the shooting right now that so many armies have any buffs or synergies that don't require a 5 wound hero are much appreciated :P. I will take a 5+ FNP please for all of my Namarti please and spank you. Make their weapons 2 inches at the same time. Spiiicy.

• Like 1